HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

JT Miller

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 03:09 PM
Jb444

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Torts had him in some spots last night. Taking defensive zone draws in the 3rd. Miller's biggest issue was the long shifts. He would get himself into trouble. Miller can play both wing and center. He played wing growing up. The US hockey program moved him to the middle. Wing is easier to play for a young kid because of the defensive responsibilities. He looked fine in his own end last night. No glaring mistakes. Miller should be a center long-term. Keep him on the wing when Richards comes back. Its so hard to find centers. Centers and Defensemen.
He played great last game, but looked like he struggled a bit today with the Capitals. Lets not forget he is 19 and will have his ups and downs, BUT its obvious the potential is there. Consistency night in and night out seems like to me is something he needs to and WILL continue to work on. I know I am pulling for the kid!

Old
03-11-2013, 04:41 PM
NYR713

I think JT is getting a little too comfortable and needs a fire lit under him. I'm catching him lately with a lot more coasting around, nonchalant passes (especially in the d zone, leading to turnovers) and sometimes looking lost with the puck. When he plays more high tempo, like Cally or Hags, using his speed and forechecking hard, he is way more productive even if he isn't scoring. I'd like to see a little more Cally and a little less Gabby in his game at this point in his career (although I wouldn't mind the 40 goal tendencies of Gabby..haha)

Old
03-11-2013, 04:42 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR713 View Post
I think JT is getting a little too comfortable and needs a fire lit under him. I'm catching him lately with a lot more coasting around, nonchalant passes (especially in the d zone, leading to turnovers) and sometimes looking lost with the puck. When he plays more high tempo, like Cally or Hags, using his speed and forechecking hard, he is way more productive even if he isn't scoring. I'd like to see a little more Cally and a little less Gabby in his game at this point in his career (although I wouldn't mind the 40 goal tendencies of Gabby..haha)
I have not seen that.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:14 PM
NYRangers723

Im not as high on Miller as others seem to be. Dont get me wrong he has done some good things especially for a 19 year old. He turns the puck over a lot and lucky for him it hasnt cost us but eventually those type of costly turnovers will come back to haunt us

Old
03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
Gardner McKay
Hey Hey...

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenith View Post
I actually thought that myself, but then I started thinking "well, he's smarter than Dubi", and "well, he's a better passer than Dubi"; I thought there were just as many differences as similarities.
I just think he is a better version of Dubi.

03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Has looked good, needs to start contributing

Old
03-11-2013, 05:26 PM
Ryan McDonut
McD for Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Has looked good, needs to start contributing
this. i feel, like kreider, miller hasn't done a bad job but hes not doing overly great.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:31 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvincentYvalentineR View Post
I just think he is a better version of Dubi.
I've yet to see any indication that he'll be a better player than Dubinsky was throughout his Rangers tenure.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg02 View Post
i've yet to see any indication that he'll be a better player than dubinsky was throughout his rangers tenure.
qft.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
Pizza

He's getting some chances and I'm seeing some creativity. He does not hurt the team. Gives us a bit more size out there. 15 minutes TOI yesterday. Not bad. I'm liking him right where he is.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:51 PM
dethomas07

kid is physically engaged, creating chances ,defensively responsible and is only 19 years old.. hes learning on the fly and has so much poise with the puck for being so young... usually when your a rookie/young player you learn the defensive side of the game before offensive side.. he hasn't been a liability out there and shows so much effort.. relax with the contributions.. we have a lot of people here (nash, richards, callahan, gabs and even stepan/hags) getting paid the big bucks or have high expectations to score goals and contribute offensively to ultimately get this team places in june..

Old
03-11-2013, 07:15 PM
Kershaw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
I've yet to see any indication that he'll be a better player than Dubinsky was throughout his Rangers tenure.
He's the shiny new toy and guys like Kreider were supposed to surpass Dubinsky this year.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:43 PM
JohnC
#FreeSteve

I wasn't too big on him around the time Kreider got sent down (aside from his first few games) but he changed my mind. For a 19 year old kid (A year older than myself) he's been doing a pretty decent job. I've liked him the past few games where he's been in the middle

Old
03-11-2013, 11:02 PM
Dangleberry

Kid has a lot of energy, hustles a lot. Makes some bonehead plays, but the potential is there.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:35 AM
Ola

Quote:
Torts had him in some spots last night. Taking defensive zone draws in the 3rd. Miller's biggest issue was the long shifts. He would get himself into trouble. Miller can play both wing and center. He played wing growing up. The US hockey program moved him to the middle. Wing is easier to play for a young kid because of the defensive responsibilities. He looked fine in his own end last night. No glaring mistakes. Miller should be a center long-term. Keep him on the wing when Richards comes back. Its so hard to find centers. Centers and Defensemen.
This.

As long as he is trying he will keep developing.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Dorado*

Makes some rookie mistakes but always has the puck , then tends to make one too many moves pass up a shot or shoot instead of pass . Overall he's been a delight I think . Would love to start seeing him on the scoresheet . As an NHL rookie however besides aforementioned rookie plays and some poor turnovers his energy hardness on the puck and chances he creates have been a bonus . Would love to have him on a 3 rd line with an effective Kreider on his left and a sniping CT on the right sometime down the line

Old
03-12-2013, 10:10 AM
petejudge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg02 View Post
He won't lead the team in points like the one year Dubinsky did that, but his potential is definitely higher. Dubinsky had more physicality to his game but I think Miller will eventually develop into a guy who feels more comfortable with his responsibilities and thus will be more comfortable throwing his body around. He was a great physical presence for Plymouth and looked good at the WJC too. His goal-scoring ceiling isn't very high, but I think his playmaking abilities are underrated. Young talented playmakers turn the puck over a lot early on in their careers and then figure out how to be more careful, but still make the same types of passes. With Miller you can tell he has the high hockey IQ that guys like Anisimov were missing, but he's just not at the NHL level yet. He'll get there.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:22 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

Sent: Mar 12, 2013 11:10a

"He's a great kid." Ron Rolston on his former player JT Miller. "Exceptional talent, the sky is the limit with what he can do."

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...94287202344960

Old
03-12-2013, 10:36 AM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Net Front Presence View Post
He definitely has a lot of poise carrying the puck, and that is something this team has a major lack of. Not to mention he's a pretty good passer. Hopefully he can limit his mistakes as he gets some more experience.
Sums it up nicely, especially agree with the poise aspect. He has the patience and awareness of a veteran at 19 yrs of age. Once he grasps what to do with that patience he will explode.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:39 AM
BobMarleyNYR

Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Circumstances were similar for Callahan when he broke in, remember? Defensively ok, never stopped skating, showed potential with the puck, but didn't produce much... and a lot of us didn't think he was ready to stick, but he kind of taught/forced himself to be the player he is (his offensive game has continued developing and there's still a bit of room for improvement).

The only reason Miller is here is because he shows the "moxy" Torts loves, which is really just overconfidence, with the puck. He seems to have ability, but he should start simple, the way Callahan did, just a straight-ahead, two-way game. He's like Dubi only in that his confidence is too high (also part of DZ's problem)--Miller is faster, smarter, hopefully more skilled and not the beast Dubi was in terms of strength/physicality.

It will not hurt a player's development to center a 3rd line in the NHL at 19. 12, yes. He's a man, he shows no affectual signs that it's too much for him, and it might serve him well to see, first-hand, what it takes to get ahead.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

I think he's being heavily overrated around these parts thus far. Listening to Sam and Joe talk about him EVERY TIME HE TOUCHES THE PUCK is cringeworthy and vomit inducing. His typical move is skating up the left side and firing a weak wrister on net. His offense leaves plenty to be desired. 16 games in the NHL now, he's scored in one of them.

On the other hand, he's been defensively responsible which allows Torts to continue to play him. He's got the 'jam' Torts desires. He's also solid away from the puck.

He's playing as a borderline third liner at the moment, which makes me question Torts's quotes saying things like he's "looking to play other people with JT and not the other way around" (paraphrased).

I wish the Rangers had the personnel to allow him to be sent back to the AHL.

(This is an evaluation of JT today, I have no doubts of his ability to become a 2nd/3rd line regular in the NHL one day)

Old
03-12-2013, 10:49 AM
SwedishBullet62
Never go full torts.

nash and miller are the only guys on this team with any semblance of poise skating with the puck, its great and really exciting to see from him at such a young age, hes got a lot of talent and having the ability to carry the puck all over the ice and hold onto the puck gives him great base to develop on to of, really excited to watch this kid develop over the next few years

Old
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Greg02

Quote:
Originally Posted by petejudge View Post
He won't lead the team in points like the one year Dubinsky did that, but his potential is definitely higher. Dubinsky had more physicality to his game but I think Miller will eventually develop into a guy who feels more comfortable with his responsibilities and thus will be more comfortable throwing his body around. He was a great physical presence for Plymouth and looked good at the WJC too. His goal-scoring ceiling isn't very high, but I think his playmaking abilities are underrated. Young talented playmakers turn the puck over a lot early on in their careers and then figure out how to be more careful, but still make the same types of passes. With Miller you can tell he has the high hockey IQ that guys like Anisimov were missing, but he's just not at the NHL level yet. He'll get there.
Sometimes I find it funny how much Dubinsky and Anisimov get underrated. I'm not saying that Miller doesn't have a lot of potential, but Brandon Dubinsky was good at hockey. He put up 45 points, got under people's skins, played good defense, PKed, hit, fought... he was a complete package (for relative values of complete). We all knew how Dubi could put up points- by going to the net and grinding. And even when he wasn't putting up points, he was providing value.

Now, maybe Miller will develop into a good playmaker, or figure out what areas of the ice he needs to get to in order to score, or similar. Right now you can tell he's still learning the game, but he plays with a certain swagger and tenacity that makes me think when he figures it out he'll be a consistent player (something Dubi never was). Regardless, however, I would be thrilled if Miller turns out to be as good of a player as Dubi was.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:56 PM
bernmeister

Quote:
Sent: Mar 12, 2013 11:10a

"He's a great kid." Ron Rolston on his former player JT Miller. "Exceptional talent, the sky is the limit with what he can do."

sent via HootSuite
On Twitter: http://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/stat...94287202344960
And you guys were worried.....

some of you said "NO WAY" :

you were all so :

when I said, give him a shot, he should take... you insisted on

He who laughs last ::

Old
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659