HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Dillon in Calder discussion (Granted it's HF Calder talk)

Old
03-11-2013, 04:09 PM
Sony Eriksson*

vCash: 500
Dillon in Calder discussion (Granted it's HF Calder talk)

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...ry-calder-poll

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:47 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Glad he's being talked about. Will be a top pairing defenseman for a long time.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:53 PM
TrillMike

It's about time.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Pohlow

What do you guys feel is Dillon's ceiling?

Pohlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pohlow View Post
What do you guys feel is Dillon's ceiling?
Maybe a #2? He plays as a #2 now, so at his prime on a team with actual defensive depth he could be a #2.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:39 PM
Captain Awesome

I'm surprised he's mentioned at all, much less on the top 10 list. I'm also surprised to see Roussel as an honorable mention. I wouldn't have thought of him on any top 10 calder lists but that is great for him. I just hope he continues to improve, he's been excellent for a rookie and we probably should have called him up last year.

Captain Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
DaStars99
Purdue Alumnus

vCash: 1425
Good for Dillon, he's really likable and his upside is large. I want him in a stars jersey for a long time.

DaStars99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:03 PM
Troy McClure

Dillon has far exceeded any expectations I had. He won't win the Calder because that's all about points production.

I love the way the team has given such a big role to a rookie like him.

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:17 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'm surprised he's mentioned at all, much less on the top 10 list. I'm also surprised to see Roussel as an honorable mention. I wouldn't have thought of him on any top 10 calder lists but that is great for him. I just hope he continues to improve, he's been excellent for a rookie and we probably should have called him up last year.
Assuming you're still talking about Roussel, we didn't even sign him till this season so they couldn't have called him up because he still belonged to Chicago.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:39 PM
txomisc

Dillon has been ok. I think our expectations of what a good dman does has probably been decreased over the years, making it seem like he is doing better than he is. On a good team he probably tops out as a number 3 type guy.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
Dillon has been ok. I think our expectations of what a good dman does has probably been decreased over the years, making it seem like he is doing better than he is. On a good team he probably tops out as a number 3 type guy.
Absolutely agree.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
I'm surprised he's mentioned at all,
I voted. I think I'm considered a Stars homer now among the staff here despite not having a strong rooting interest in the club

I voted early with 3 d-men in my top-5 (Brodin, Schultz, Dillon), so hopefully that inspired some votes for the lesser-points guys. Or, better yet, others are realizing how well Brodin and Dillon have played this year.

Re: his ceiling. I still don't see him as a top pairing guy, to be honest. I just don't think he has that skillset. I thought he'd be no better than a #4, and I still kind of standby that...I think when this team fills out, he'll probably lose some ice time. Then again, he could become a player - like a Marc Methot for instance - who provides a defensive conscience for a big-time offensive defenseman. I think, in his natural habitat, he might be better as a 4/5. But he's making me second guess myself a bit with his play this year. Rather undersell, than oversell...

Mike Farkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:16 AM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
I'm not sure why people don't think he has the skill set. Dillon is very quick, he has a hard and accurate shot, good gap control, blocks shots well, and he makes a great first pass. What more can you want other than a Zubov type of player?

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:56 PM
Mr Misty
The Irons Are Back!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin View Post
I'm not sure why people don't think he has the skill set. Dillon is very quick, he has a hard and accurate shot, good gap control, blocks shots well, and he makes a great first pass. What more can you want other than a Zubov type of player?
As I said before, I am pretty high on his potential, but I can certainly accept arguments based on his pp suitability. I don't think he has shown the pass or the shot necessary to get regular pp time, and if your top pairing criteria is an all situation type player, he may never get there.

Mr Misty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
TrillMike

He's shown great skating ability, poise and stick skills. I think he could be a "real" top pair dman one day.

TrillMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:23 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
There's a lot of buzz about Dillon going around. Here's more discussion where the writer has only Brodin ahead of him in rookie D-men.

http://blogs.thescore.com/nhl/2013/0...calder-trophy/

Fear the Fin did a nice breakdown of the advanced stats for the rookie D-men this year:

Quote:
On the horizontal axis is offensive zone start percentage, or the percentage of a player's non-neutral shifts that began in the offensive zone. On the vertical axis is quality of competition, a proxy for determining the caliber of opponents a player is matched up against. The size of a player's bubble indicates the absolute value of his Relative Corsi rating, or the difference between his team's shot differential with that player on the ice and off the ice. A blue bubble means the player's Relative Corsi is positive (the team does better with him on the ice) while a white bubble indicates a negative Relative Corsi (the team does worse). For example, the Sharks outshoot their opponents by 18.2 shot attempts per 60 even-strength minutes with Irwin on the ice and get outshot by 10.6 shot attempts per 60 with him off it, giving Irwin a +28.8 Relative Corsi rating.

Players in the upper left quadrant have faced the toughest minutes available while players in the bottom right quadrant have faced the easiest minutes available. Players in the upper right quadrant begin a majority of their shifts in the offensive zone but do so against good opposing players while players in the bottom left quadrant begin a majority of their shifts in the defensive zone but do so against weaker opposing players.
Dillon has the lowest O zone starts and the highest QoC of any positive player on that chart.

MetalGodAOD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:28 PM
Troy McClure

Why wouldn't he plot defensive zone start times?

Troy McClure is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:47 PM
haf

I would guess it is to try and achieve some sort of apples to apples comparison. if you are always starting in the offensive zone, you could very likely have less shots against, not due to your defensive ability but due to holding the puck in the offensive zone, and then changing when it goes the other way.

Defensive zone starts means that you are having to dig yourself out.

just a guess.

haf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 01:50 PM
hairylikebear
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy McClure View Post
Why wouldn't he plot defensive zone start times?
That data is harder to find.

hairylikebear is offline   Reply With Quote