HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The ALL encompassing Rumors & Speculation Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 02:21 PM
Psuhockey

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Honestly, I'm more interested in this Andrej Sustr guy....6'8"? YES PLEASE
Unless UNO wins its tournament, I believe he will be available after this weekend. We will see if the Flyers are desperate enough to give him an NHL contract to play at least a game this year.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:24 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
yup. I mentioned him in the fall.
Hopefully Holmgren goes after him. Hopefully the guy doesnt want gauranteed NHL minutes right away.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:30 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Hopefully Holmgren goes after him. Hopefully the guy doesnt want gauranteed NHL minutes right away.
young, undrafted college free-agents are dumb to think they deserve NHL minutes right away. That's like a recent business college grad expecting to be named the CEO of the company the day he gets hired.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:34 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
young, undrafted college free-agents are dumb to think they deserve NHL minutes right away. That's like a recent business college grad expecting to be named the CEO of the company the day he gets hired.
They are stupid but that has been the price to signing the top ones the last couple of years. The Flyers were in the finals for JT Brown and Stephane Da Costa but those players ended up signing with the team that gave them NHL time right after signing. Tampa Bay, with their awful blue line, would definitely offer Sustr a game after signing like they did with Brown.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:37 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Well its one of the reasons we didnt get Gilroy and Da Costa. 2 guys Holmgren targeted and werent signed because they wanted NHL minutes right away.
im not saying they should cave into him(unless of course there is a firesale and the season is lost) just saying many of these college kids are demanding it.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:38 PM
Tripod

[QUOTE=BrindamoursNose;61438739]I did watch the games and not the stat sheet for the majority of this season so far.

Bryz was the only bright spot on the team for ages and ages this season. That's what I mean by carry. He's received little support and he deserves credit. Now, he is in a pretty bad stretch. But how much further would we have been out of games early if he wasn't playing well?

I can't be the only one who saw him playing well before this recent bad stretch.[/QUOTE]

I agree with this. First 11 games...only 2 games in which his SV% was inder .900
The next 14 games...has only beat .900 5 times...and we won all 5.
First 10 games-12 Even Strength goals against
Next 15 games-36 Even Strength goals against
Not going to win many games giving up 2.4 goals against at even strength.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:46 PM
Tripod

Quote:
The year we are having...let him have the #6 spot. See how he does. So what if it burns a year off. If he is good...it's worth it. If he isn't, too bad and he doesn't make the team next year.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:50 PM
JackStraw
Moving much too slow

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I can't be the only one who saw him playing well before this recent bad stretch.
You're not.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod View Post
The year we are having...let him have the #6 spot. See how he does. So what if it burns a year off. If he is good...it's worth it. If he isn't, too bad and he doesn't make the team next year.
Agreed. Boston gave Torey Krug minutes last year and they were in the middle of a playoff prep. The Flyers won't be making the playoffs so they really have no excuse.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:56 PM
Flyotes
DownieFaceSoftener

Quote:
Teams are giving them NHL minutes. Not so dumb. 10-14 minutes per game for JT Brown and Da Costa.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrindamoursNose View Post
I did watch the games and not the stat sheet for the majority of this season so far.

Bryz was the only bright spot on the team for ages and ages this season. That's what I mean by carry. He's received little support and he deserves credit. Now, he is in a pretty bad stretch. But how much further would we have been out of games early if he wasn't playing well?

I can't be the only one who saw him playing well before this recent bad stretch.
No, he doesn't deserve credit. You don't get credit for a hot string of 11 games, just like you don't get trashed for a string of 10 bad ones, you get evaluated based on your OVERALL EFFORT. Bryzgalov's OVERALL EFFORT amounts to 12-11-1, a .899 save %, and a 2.71 GAA. That's crap. Total crap.

I'm really happy for Bryzgalov stringing 11 decent starts together to begin the season, but it doesn't even come close to excusing his overall poor play.

And just for fun, if you're someone who likes looking at streaks:
First 11 games: .921 save %
Last 15 games: .876 save %

This run of horrible games is about 1.5x as long as Bryz's run of good games and he's been much worse during this bad streak than he was during his good streak.

So no, I'm sorry, Bryzgalov has not carried this team any more than Tom Sestito carried the team when he scored 2 goals in 1 night. Bryz is an overpaid bum and he deserves absolutely no credit for his play this year because it's decidedly below average.

We could be getting the same caliber of play out of Boosh or Leights.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:00 PM
jabba2
GoulBourne Supremacy

Ek says the Flyers and Red Wings are interested in Campbell. Cap hit is $7.1m through 16-17. Also 33 years old. Wouldnt trade much for him besides Briere.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:13 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
Ek says the Flyers and Red Wings are interested in Campbell. Cap hit is $7.1m through 16-17. Also 33 years old. Wouldnt trade much for him besides Briere.
Since Florida is a cap floor team, we could potentially trade them Briere and they could retain half of Campbell's cap hit. That way, we get Campbell at half of his normal cap hit and Florida gets to increase their bottom-line. Win-win.

Florida would be paying LESS in actual $$$ than they're currently paying Brian Campbell, but they'd get way more $$$ counting against the cap:

Keeping Campbell:
2013-2014: Actual money spent: 7.143M Cap hit: 7.143M
2014-2015: Actual money spent: 7.143M Cap hit: 7.143M

Briere Trade + retain half of Campbell's contract:
2013-2014: Actual money spent: 6.57M Cap hit: 10.0715M
2014-2015: Actual money spent: 5.57M Cap hit: 10.0715M

Of course that being said, if we were going to get Campbell at half his current cap hit, we'd have to give up something of value along with Briere. And we'd need Briere to waive his NMC to go to Florida. Which makes this whole thing somewhat unlikely...

Old
03-11-2013, 07:24 PM
FLYERSFAN18

Damn, I didn't realize Campbell was already 33! Thought he was no older than 30

Old
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
FlyersFan61290

i wouldn't have a problem with campbell, thing is he's still a solid player so the flyers will have to give to get.

he's also signed until he's like 37 or something. so we'd end up with maybe like 2 good year with him, i don't know if it's worth what he'll cost (not money as Florida would retain the max or close to it most likely).

Old
03-11-2013, 09:16 PM
PhilaFlyers

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLegendkiller View Post
Let's not get Cory Perry. Plus, theres no reason for him to leave top ranked Anaheim to come to last place Philly.
Cash rules everything around me, CREAM get the money. Dolla dolla bills yalllllllll

Old
03-11-2013, 11:31 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
What is Sustr's skill set, beyond being able to touch the Jumbotron with his stick?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:41 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
What is Sustr's skill set, beyond being able to touch the Jumbotron with his stick?
Here is the except from HF's college FA artcle on him.

Quote:
While his gigantic frame is certainly one attribute that NHL teams like about Sustr, what has impressed them even more is how effectively he uses it. Sustr takes full advantage of his size, strength and wingspan in moving opposing players off pucks and taking away their time and space. He has good gap control and does an excellent job in containment, as well. Sustr is also a player that doesn’t shy away from playing the body, showing that he can dish out some of the most punishing hits in college hockey. Two of Sustr’s best assets are his stick and his shot. He uses his excellent stick work exceedingly well at both ends of the ice, whether it is in creating turnovers or distributing the puck. His cannon-like shot has improved in both accuracy and velocity over the course of his collegiate career. Another area where Sustr has really developed is his skating. He’s not the prettiest skater, but he moves remarkably well for such a big man. Sustr has also shown marked improvement in his agility and balance.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:04 AM
ahthorne

Sustr - yes please.

The Flyers need to take a look at Brian Campbell. Maybe we can get him in an Olesz type deal where it's more related to the cap... but if he's gonna cost something like a 1st+ then h-h-heck no.

Campbell would be slick on this team, even if he's 33. Lots of guys on this team can finish, and Campbell can set guys up like you wouldn't believe.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

I would take Brian Campbell. Also, as WAB said, if Florida eats half his cap hit it's a freakin no brainer.

03-12-2013, 12:50 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Campbell - Coburn
Schenn- Timonen
Meszaros - Grossmann

Sick defense.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:00 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabba2 View Post
please God No.
Thankfully its Eklund so we should be good.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:00 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
please God No.
Thankfully its Eklund so we should be good.
Why no? Also Eklund is pretty good with Fllyers rumors.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:13 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDinklage Morgoone View Post
Why no? Also Eklund is pretty good with Fllyers rumors.
Why because adding a guy like Campbell would likely cost something the Flyers should be hanging onto. Especially this season. High draft picks.
I know they need some offense on the backend. But right now is the wrong time to do it. IMO.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:15 AM
JDinkalage Morgoone
U of South Flurrida

Quote:
Why because adding a guy like Campbell would likely cost something the Flyers should be hanging onto. Especially this season. High draft picks.
I know they need some offense on the backend. But right now is the wrong time to do it. IMO.
Oh I thought you meant if it was Campbell for Briere as you proposed. I agree with you then.

Closed Thread