Old
03-11-2013, 05:05 PM
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by MuckOG View Post
Yes...had we re-signed Burns, there is no way we could've signed Suter...and by extension Parise, either, as they were a package item.

So, essentially it was:

Brent Burns
2nd round pick

for

Devon Setoguchi
Charlie Coyle
Zach Phillips
Ryan Suter
Zach Parise

You tell me who won that trade?
I like the way you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesota View Post
Minnesota Gilbert > Edmonton Gilbert

Minnesota Schultz > Edmonton Schultz

I like this comparison as well.

Avder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:21 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

vCash: 500
My post on the Eddy board when it was up and going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
Was just killing time reading through various teams' boards. Quick thoughts from a Minnesota perspective.

Nick Schultz is what he is. An average size defender that skates at an above average level. Generally fairly sound positionally. Any physical contact is virtually non-existent and he's among the league worst at moving the puck. If you're looking for a clean breakout from him, forget it. He patented the no-look, panic ring the puck around the boards here in Minnesota. He's a decent solidifying type of player on the bottom pairing but truth be told, there's a lot of organizations that have multiple players that can fill in for his role and not miss a beat. Biggest complaint about his time here is that he'll never give you any more than a decent game.

As far as what I've seen from Gilbert here in Minnesota, I've loved the trade (sorry to say for you guys). With that said, you're going to see a greater swing in terms of consistency. He'll have some clunker of games and decisions here and there but he'll also have moments that back up his position in a top 4 pairing.

So I guess it probably depends on what you're looking for in terms of your defenseman. For Minnesota, Gilbert provides elements in his game that are not readily available. Whereas in this system, Schultz was/is a replacement level player.
In other words, I think the Wild fleeced the Oilers. Badly. Again.

After Meaningless Win - 3/29/12 - Game 77 | SoH-"Who knows, that could have cost us a Cup tonight." | Dooohkay
this providence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:28 PM
Wild48
Our Savior

I hated Schultz. He was such a meaningless player to the Wild the last 2 years... Yes he gave us some good years earlier in his career, but it was time to move on. The Wild got a much better puck mover, and all around player.

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:30 PM
grN1g

the trade made perfect sense, and was basically even at the time.

Still a fair trade imo, no clear winner considering N.Schultz plays for a weaker team.

+ i dont view Gilbert being a top4 dman for us in the future, and doubt we resign him.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:33 PM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild48 View Post
I hated Schultz. He was such a meaningless player to the Wild the last 2 years... Yes he gave us some good years earlier in his career, but it was time to move on. The Wild got a much better puck mover, and all around player.
The main thing for me is, he's still the same player today as when he entered the league. Never developed off of that a lick. Which is also important to keep in mind when looking at Brodin; even if he's a markedly better prospect.

Schultz is looking absolutely awful in Eddy, though. I think it's mostly a combination of he's just not that good of a player anyway and that organization is a mess.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:45 PM
State of Hockey

I don't know if either team is really better off with the other guy. Honestly, both players just aren't very good. They're leading or nearly leading their teams in the wrong categories. It was a change of scenery move that really didn't change anything for either side.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:07 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
Originally Posted by State of Hockey View Post
I don't know if either team is really better off with the other guy. Honestly, both players just aren't very good. They're leading or nearly leading their teams in the wrong categories. It was a change of scenery move that really didn't change anything for either side.
We needed Gilbert's skillset over Schultz's.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:24 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

reading through Edmonton's thread on that i'm reminded that he did play pretty soft with the Oilers. Not so with the Wild--was that coaching?

rynryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:27 PM
State of Hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jan Itor View Post
We needed Gilbert's skillset over Schultz's.
We did, but he simply isn't very good at executing that skill set.

State of Hockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:24 PM
Dr Jan Itor

Quote:
We did, but he simply isn't very good at executing that skill set.
Better than what we gave up to get him, and considering the contracts are essentially a wash (not going to split hairs over $500k), there is at least a little bit of gain on our part.

Dr Jan Itor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:37 PM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

uh, gilbert at least plays stronger than schultz, if nothing else, which we needed. so win.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:44 PM
tyratoku

vCash: 710
I don't know about everybody else, but I really like Gilbert in our Top-4. He provides some solid defense, I am rarely scared when the puck goes into our defensive zone and he is out there. Hell, I am not scared if he is 1 on 1 on a breakaway.

He is also a right handed shot, and there are not many quality RHD in this league. He provides a solid option on the 2nd powerplay, and is from Bloomington.

BNTG, what more could you ask for?

tyratoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:10 PM
saywut

Quote:
I think it was a necessary move for both parties, much like the Pouliot/Latendresse trade, though with longer tenured players on bloated contracts. I do not miss Nick Schultz, I would not be disappointed to see Tom Gilbert leave as a free agent in 2014. Neither are guys worthy of building a defense around, they're simply overpaid complimentary pieces. I do think the trade has helped us, though not nearly to the extent some others may feel. At the time our left side was significantly stronger than our right, but with Brodin's emergence and Scandella's inability to play consistently at a high level or stay healthy, our left side is much weaker now than the right.

saywut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Can't remember if I actually said much about him on here last season before the trade but I know for a fact that I had greatly soured on Schultz. Can't even count the number of times I saw him watch a pass go right by him (or through him in some cases) and he just stood there watching it instead of doing something about it. Gilbert is a very ideal 2nd pairing d-man and his right handed shot is a bonus.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:33 PM
Fel 96
JFC

vCash: 2037
Send a message via MSN to Fel 96
Hate to sound like a huge homer but Wild won that trade hands down...

Let's not forget Gilbert was one of the keys to get Suter here.

Fel 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
nickschultzfan

Schultz was a quality shut-down Dman. And he broke the puck out better than Stoner, Falk, Skoula, Carney, and even Burns a lot of times.

Schultz sucks on the Oilers for the same reason Gilbert sucked on the Oilers. That team is weak and terrible in the Dzone. They run around an get out of position.

Schultz works well in a 5 man system because he will do his job very well and never go outside his job.

nickschultzfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:40 PM
Mumbler*

Quote:
Yes...had we re-signed Burns, there is no way we could've signed Suter...and by extension Parise, either, as they were a package item.

So, essentially it was:

Brent Burns
2nd round pick

for

Devon Setoguchi
Charlie Coyle
Zach Phillips
Ryan Suter
Zach Parise

You tell me who won that trade?
/streeeeeeetchhhhhing LOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTSSSSS...!>!>!11...

Mumbler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Billy Mays Here
Optimistic Pessimist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fel 96 View Post
Let's not forget Gilbert was one of the keys to get Suter here.
Nah, it was all the All-Star's doing.

Billy Mays Here is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:01 AM
grN1g

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post
Schultz was a quality shut-down Dman. And he broke the puck out better than Stoner, Falk, Skoula, Carney, and even Burns a lot of times.

Schultz sucks on the Oilers for the same reason Gilbert sucked on the Oilers. That team is weak and terrible in the Dzone. They run around an get out of position.

Schultz works well in a 5 man system because he will do his job very well and never go outside his job.
I can agree with preety much all of this.

grN1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:06 AM
rynryn
Progress to the Mean

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDhockeyfan View Post
Nah, it was all the All-Star's doing.
Since Heatley has been named one of the nicest guys in the NHL by his peers in anon polls, i don't think sarcasm is warranted. A well-liked vet supporting the team and organization isn't going to be the be-all end-all of deciding factors but it's not nothing.

i thought it turned out Gilbert and Suter never really hung out that much? He isn't in Gilberts Badger posse is he?

Old
03-12-2013, 12:15 AM
Minnesota
L'étoile du Nord

I like Gilbert. He can stay.

Minnesota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
Wild48
Our Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickschultzfan View Post

I think this guy is Schultz's cousin or something. Schultz was never a **** down defenseman

Wild48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:49 AM
MuckOG
The Brodin Effect

....nor was he any good at breaking the puck out, his forte was swinging the puck around the boards or chipping it off the glass....to the chagrin of Wild fans everywhere.

MuckOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
tomgilbertfan
CRAAAWWWFFFOOORD

Quote:
....nor was he any good at breaking the puck out, his forte was swinging the puck around the boards or chipping it off the glass....to the chagrin of Wild fans everywhere.
Good ol' no look flip.

tomgilbertfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:20 AM
this providence
Chips in Bed Theorem

I agree. Schultz was a very good shutdown defenseman. Perfect for shutting down any hopes of a transition game and in turn, offense, for his team.