HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For all those who think we overpaid for Ribs

Old
07-27-2006, 08:37 PM
Papa_Bear_21

vCash: 500
For all those who think we overpaid for Ribs

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story/?ID=172550&hubname=

goodness gracious!!!

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:46 PM
Louis Houde

Send a message via MSN to Louis Houde
O-h--m-y--g-o-d--i-c-a-n-t--b-e-l-i-v-e--it!!!

Louis Houde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
Madevilz

Calder >>>>>>>>*Ribs

but yeah, still overpaid.

Madevilz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:47 PM
kernkraft

Here we go again, another lock-out in three years?

kernkraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:53 PM
CH Wizard

Send a message via MSN to CH Wizard
Yeah, the contracts are ridiculous. Thank god for caps!!!

Over 2M for Ribs would have been a considerable overpayment.

CH Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:56 PM
Shatmat*

It's a bit too much I agree but Calder is much more useful to a team than Ribeiro. Calder brings leadership, grit and good work ethic. He's a hard working guy who brings near 60 points a year. I know 29 other teams looking for a player like him

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:03 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
And Ribeiro is a non-hard-working guy who brings near 60 points a year. With his contract, he'd be a steal if he would actually apply himself at improving.

hototogisu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:12 PM
Montrealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
Nope, because the overall salary mass is still tied to a very specific percentage that guarantees profit for most teams.

Montrealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:25 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I don't think we have any extremely overpaid players. Bonk IMO is borderline.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:26 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

What the hell are these arbitrator's doing? This is a disgrace, close to 3M I don't like Ribs contract, don't understand why got got a huge raise but if these arbitrator's keep handing out crappy contracts, I fear what some Habs might get next year if any ended up going to arbitration, since Gainey gave out a lot of one year contracts.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What the hell are these arbitrator's doing? This is a disgrace, close to 3M I don't like Ribs contract, don't understand why got got a huge raise but if these arbitrator's keep handing out crappy contracts, I fear what some Habs might get next year if any ended up going to arbitration, since Gainey gave out a lot of one year contracts.
One would assume Ryder would return to arbitration if he pulls out another great season. Higgins and Komisarek might also. Plekanec is unlikely but possible. Maybe even Aebischer if he's still around.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:32 PM
beowulf
Poster of the Year!

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Man it would almost seem the arbitrators are on the NHLPA payroll!! Some crazy money being thrown around.

beowulf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:35 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Originally Posted by kernkraft View Post
They took us for dumb Ss and will continue to do so.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:42 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toad View Post
One would assume Ryder would return to arbitration if he pulls out another great season. Higgins and Komisarek might also. Plekanec is unlikely but possible. Maybe even Aebischer if he's still around.
Aebischer will be a UFA next year.

I suspect the arbitrator's have been hired by espn in an attempt to get back at the NHL for going with OLN instead of signing with them, this way they can try and get the NHL back on their networks after the next lockout.

montreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:46 PM
Papa_Bear_21

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveash View Post
It's a bit too much I agree but Calder is much more useful to a team than Ribeiro. Calder brings leadership, grit and good work ethic. He's a hard working guy who brings near 60 points a year. I know 29 other teams looking for a player like him
hmmm, I could see your point if Calder had produced more than one 59 point season in his 5 nhl seasons.

He may be gritty and bring more leadership than ribs, but he's still way overpaid.

Papa_Bear_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:55 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via Yahoo to toshiro
Quote:
It is obvious that the Habs will lose players to free agency eventually because of arbitration and Im not sure other free agents will be lined up to sign. There is less encentive to get better and teams have to watch themselves deteriorate as their players leave to bottom feeders or to sunny climes. It is the same garbage as free agency at 27. There will be serious distortions. The Habs are already at a disadvantage with a different language, taxes, weather, press etc. The players rule. There may be a cap but why bother to root for a team when they will be handicapped in terms of free agency of there is less encentive to be rewarded on the basis of fair play merit but sunnier climes, taxes, anglo culture whatever determines success

toshiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:30 PM
Teufelsdreck

A cocky lad named Ribeiro
Received muy dinero
He got a big raise
And a modicum of praise
To the unending beat of Bolero

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 10:36 PM
the_crippler12

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/209384.html

the_crippler12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:01 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
It is obvious that the Habs will lose players to free agency eventually because of arbitration and Im not sure other free agents will be lined up to sign. There is less encentive to get better and teams have to watch themselves deteriorate as their players leave to bottom feeders or to sunny climes. It is the same garbage as free agency at 27. There will be serious distortions. The Habs are already at a disadvantage with a different language, taxes, weather, press etc. The players rule. There may be a cap but why bother to root for a team when they will be handicapped in terms of free agency of there is less encentive to be rewarded on the basis of fair play merit but sunnier climes, taxes, anglo culture whatever determines success
This thread is blurring the distinction between UFA at 27 and arbitration.

IMO free agency is a more potent disrupter than arbitration because at least with arbitration the team has a choice in keeping a player. Once a player is a UFA, the team is powerless. Also, please note that only a minority of players opt for arbitration. Only one Hab took that path, and the process was aborted when Ryder reached a settlement before arbitration.

Still, arbitration can also affect team stability. The higher the arbitration awards, the less the cap room. However, that principle applies to every NHL team, not just the Habs. A player does not opt for arbitration if his motive is just to play in a sunnier clime or to feel culturally comfortablr or to escape taxes. He does it because he wants to stay, although at a higher salary than what was offered him. If those extraneous issues are the nub of his discontent, he asks for a trade or waits until he eligible for unrestricted free agency.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:15 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post

IMO free agency is a more potent disrupter than arbitration because at least with arbitration the team has a choice in keeping a player. Once a player is a UFA, the team is powerless. Also, please note that only a minority of players opt for arbitration. Only one Hab took that path, and the process was aborted when Ryder reached a settlement before arbitration.

Still, arbitration can also affect team stability. The higher the arbitration awards, the less the cap room. However, that principle applies to every NHL team, not just the Habs. A player does not opt for arbitration if his motive is just to play in a sunnier clime or to feel culturally comfortablr or to escape taxes. He does it because he wants to stay, although at a higher salary than what was offered him. If those extraneous issues are the nub of his discontent, he asks for a trade or waits until he eligible for unrestricted free agency.
The pressure is to assign more decision making power in the hands of the players about where they will play as teams will not be able to afford many so the decision to play somewhere else will be based on money, climate, language, taxes, press etc and the habs will suffer. It is an effect it which doesnt mean that the world will explode but it will negatively impact on the Habs if they are gaining because of meritorious drafting trading etc.

Old
07-27-2006, 11:20 PM
toshiro
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post

If teams are forced to walk away the players will be free agents hence similar impact on teams

Old
07-27-2006, 11:51 PM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_crippler12 View Post
I hate it when people put a link like that, out of topic, and don't say a single argument or opinion.

what do you want to say? Why are you bringing the Pominville and Lydman's signing? What's your point? SAY SOMETHING!!!!

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:07 AM
Mr. Hab

Calder >> Ribeiro

I'd take Calder anyday over Ribeiro.

Ribeiro is a great passer, has lots of talent, but he's such an anti-Gainey, lazy, slow skater, has such a bad attitude, Ribs is even lazy to get back to the bench for quick line changes which is so selfish...very anti-team of him. Ribeiro brings shame to the CH. I can't wait till he leaves. We need more guys like Higgins, Komisarek, Chipchura...now these guys I'm proud of!

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:41 AM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveash View Post
no he doesn't.
even if he did, ribeiro doesn't even try and pretty much eclipses what calder does. with our coaching staff ribs will work hard on a nightly basis (or he'll hit the bricks) and he'll be a bargain compared to calder.

calder's contract makes bob look like a genius. he took a few bumps, but he's getting a good handle of things now.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:03 AM
Slick Nick

Quote:
Dan, you into the new smiles lately

Slick Nick is offline   Reply With Quote