All purpose Nathan Horton thread

Old
03-07-2013, 04:45 PM
WBC8

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMiller View Post
Do you think we would see "nasty Nate" again, or will he be "nifty Nate" from here on out. Maybe it's the concussion, maybe just a return to form, but he's looked more like Ryder from the mediocre-old-days than the bash brother he was for a stretch there with lucic.
He tried to get Subban to go...and seemed a little ornery vs the Caps...maybe he's feeling more comfortable...I think the physical game is the last thing to come around for these guys... Fingers crossed.

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oates2Neely View Post
I'm a Horton fan, but I'm on the fence still.

It'll probably take 5m per to keep him.

Hypothetical question: would you rather have Horton at 5m per, or Perry at 7m per?
Great question.... I would say Perry, but i would need some tissues from my tears to see Nate go...

Old
03-07-2013, 04:46 PM
patty59

Quote:

Hypothetical question: would you rather have Horton at 5m per, or Perry at 7m per?
Problem is, if wait to try to get Perry for 7M you could easily end up with neither.

patty59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2013, 04:53 PM
Neely08

Quote:

Yeah, it is a great question.

If you have to give up a ton of assets to acquire him, it's even tougher. If he doesn't sign w/ whom ever does acquire him, and you can get him as a ufa, that's very tempting.

Regardless, I think Chia will lean towards keeping Horton at 5mil. Just seems more like a Chia move.

Would love a 50 goal man in this town. Just doesn't fit the current philosophy.

Neely08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-08-2013, 10:48 AM
bigcat188

Time to move him off the first line..the guy is a stiff!!

bigcat188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:00 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Just read Marchand's diary entry here and I think it reiterates the point that you don't mess with that locker room. Right attitude, right mix of guys, etc. Corey Perry might be a better hockey player than Nathan Horton, but I'm not willing to pay extra to find out if he fits in with this group. Makes too much sense to hang on to him; plus that way he can continue to pick up the check for the B's!!

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:04 PM
smithformeragent

Send a message via AIM to smithformeragent
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPV View Post
Just read Marchand's diary entry here and I think it reiterates the point that you don't mess with that locker room. Right attitude, right mix of guys, etc. Corey Perry might be a better hockey player than Nathan Horton, but I'm not willing to pay extra to find out if he fits in with this group. Makes too much sense to hang on to him; plus that way he can continue to pick up the check for the B's!!
While this is true, you have to make decisions on guys and cut ties at the right time. Look at the 2004 Red Sox. They were a great team with great chemistry and they let half the team walk away over the next two seasons and won again in 2007. They made tough decisions on guys like Pedro Martinez, and they weren't even operating under a salary cap.

Chiarelli has been accused of falling in love with his own team a bit. So far, so good, but what if they bow out in the first round again this season? Do you still bring back the same club? What if you extend Horton tomorrow and he gets concussed again in game 40?

You always have to look at ways to improve your club. Nobody on the team should ever be untouchable.

03-11-2013, 12:40 PM
Jean_Jacket41
Neely = HOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcat188 View Post
Time to move him off the first line..the guy is a stiff!!
Yeah he's a stiff!

All the Bruins do is win when he's there.

And If I'm not mistaken, the Bruins have not lost a playoffs series with him in the lineup.

Jean_Jacket41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 12:42 PM
SPV
Zoinks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithformeragent View Post
While this is true, you have to make decisions on guys and cut ties at the right time. Look at the 2004 Red Sox. They were a great team with great chemistry and they let half the team walk away over the next two seasons and won again in 2007. They made tough decisions on guys like Pedro Martinez, and they weren't even operating under a salary cap.

Chiarelli has been accused of falling in love with his own team a bit. So far, so good, but what if they bow out in the first round again this season? Do you still bring back the same club? What if you extend Horton tomorrow and he gets concussed again in game 40?

You always have to look at ways to improve your club. Nobody on the team should ever be untouchable.
I don't know, I was always upset with the way 2005 went for the Sox. I wish they got the band back together; and thought they would have been better for it in those following 2 seasons; not to not give credit where it's due for '07, but some of the decisions they made there were what started the downward spiral to where they are now IMO

While I appreciate your point of making hard decisions, there is a lot to be said about chemistry and consistency. You pick your core guys and work around them. It's my opinion that Horton is a core guy.

SPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:36 PM
doakacola*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean_Jacket41 View Post
Yeah he's a stiff!

All the Bruins do is win when he's there.

And If I'm not mistaken, the Bruins have not lost a playoffs series with him in the lineup.
They were down 0-2 to Vancouver with him in the line - up. He got taken out by Rome and the Bruins
went 4 - 1 without him.

doakacola* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:42 PM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
As the season moves along, and there have yet to be whispers about a new contract for Horton, I begin to wonder what is in store for him.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
OutspokenMinority

I don't know how anyone can watch his game and be impressed. I really don't. He simply takes too long to make decisions and he falls down all the time. I'm constantly underwhelmed and I think he and Peverly should switch back and forth on a regular basis.

OutspokenMinority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
CDJ

Underwhelmed by Horton!

Let's fix the problem by putting an even more underwhelming player in his spot!

I think you are selling Horton a bit short. He is a good player. He is good for ~60 points and 25 goals, which is a nice compliment to Lucic and Krejci

*let me make note that I do love both Raptor Jezus and Horton

CDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:00 PM
bruins04

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowline View Post
They were down 0-2 to Vancouver with him in the line - up. He got taken out by Rome and the Bruins
went 4 - 1 without him.
true, but still haven't lost a playoff series with him in the lineup
every Julien Bruins team that has come short of the cup has lost in a game 7... in which we're 2-0 with Horton in. I hope we can get a reasonable re-up on him. I believe in his postseason value, even if he gets less goals in the regular season than we feel he should.

bruins04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:16 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
Regular season: 93-44-8

Play-offs: 16-9

Total: 109-53-8

Lets go Chia...get this extension done!
Lou, I love you like a brother, but this guy isnt worth a dime over 2.5m. He is as overrated as it gets, terribly inconsistent and is the definition of a coat tail player. Why he gets a free pass for weeks worth of not putting in any effort at all and dragging his line down is ridiculous.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:21 PM
Bruwinz37

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhamBamCam8 View Post
He tried to get Subban to go...and seemed a little ornery vs the Caps...maybe he's feeling more comfortable...I think the physical game is the last thing to come around for these guys... Fingers crossed.
He is the same player pre and post concussion. He has never been a big banger and went weeks being invisible before the concussion. He is tough and can fight, but he isnt that physical of a player on a shift by shift basis....never was. He is like a much less skilled Bill Guerin.

Bruwinz37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:26 PM
Oates2Neely

I think Horton needs a stint on the 3rd line. Bring Peverley up for a few games on the Krejci line. Horton is slumping at the moment. But he's capable of turning it around quickly.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruwinz37 View Post
Lou, I love you like a brother, but this guy isnt worth a dime over 2.5m. He is as overrated as it gets, terribly inconsistent and is the definition of a coat tail player. Why he gets a free pass for weeks worth of not putting in any effort at all and dragging his line down is ridiculous.
2.5 is too low my man...Give him the play-offs now...if he comes up big again, he is a must sign...

I just fear Peverley as my first line RW when we let him go...

Old
03-12-2013, 07:34 AM
smithformeragent

I think $4M is just right for him. He's a streaky, 25 goal guy with an injury history. He may have been a third pick overall, but at this point this is what he is.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:54 AM
WBC8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
As the season moves along, and there have yet to be whispers about a new contract for Horton, I begin to wonder what is in store for him.
Yeah you wonder if Chia will go in a different direction... Clowe, Perry...who knows..

Old
03-12-2013, 07:56 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
I think Horton needs a stint on the 3rd line. Bring Peverley up for a few games on the Krejci line. Horton is slumping at the moment. But he's capable of turning it around quickly.
We have seen it before with other players, dropping down to re-discover a simpler game, right now, outside of the Flyers game where he was engaged, been about 10 games of complete MIA hockey

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:15 AM
smithformeragent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
We have seen it before with other players, dropping down to re-discover a simpler game, right now, outside of the Flyers game where he was engaged, been about 10 games of complete MIA hockey
This is what their first line is. It starts with Krejci and extends to the wings. They're consistently inconsistent. Maybe they his the playoffs and are clicking and Boston makes a deep run, or maybe they disappear and they get bounced in round one again.

I'm taking all of this regular season success for what it's worth. Call me tainted, but I don't trust this first line.

smithformeragent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
C77

I feel the same way about Horton as I do now about Ryder since he left.

Put Horton on another team and he could score 30 every year but I don't think it would happen here.

The Bruins aren't an offensive minded team and that drags down goal and point totals.

Under Julien they've only had a guy score 30 goals two times. One was Kessel with 36 and one was Lucic with 30.

Also...when the players aren't scoring they don't play with confidence which further reduces offense.

Anyway, I think if you put Seguin on a more offensive-minded team he might have 30 points but the team he played for would probably have 5 less wins than the Bruins. It sucks but defensive hockey is winning hockey.

Last edited by C77: 03-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:05 AM
C77

Somewhat related...Kovalchuk has 9 goals in 26 games and he plays 25-26 minutes per game. If he was in Thrasher-land he would probably be in the Top 5 in league scoring.

C77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:08 PM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by C77 View Post
Somewhat related...Kovalchuk has 9 goals in 26 games and he plays 25-26 minutes per game. If he was in Thrasher-land he would probably be in the Top 5 in league scoring.
I hear ya, for me, it isn`t about stats with Horty or players like him, scorers are often streaky. My issue is what does a player bring to the table when he isn`t scoring, and THAT, is where my issue lies now with Horty

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote