HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roster Speculation III: No, Really, What's the BIGGEST Problem?

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 01:53 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Guys,

Moving Vanek, Pommers, or Miller just for the sake of "rebuilding" is a sure way to become a Florida or Columbus. I am not adverse to moving any of the above, but it has to make sense for this team and involve bringing back bonafide talent. Vanek and Pommers are very good forwards and Miller is a great goaltender...It will be very hard to find replacements for those players.

We have too many players being asked to play roles they are not ready for.

Grigs should be in Quebec
Myers should be getting sheltered minutes, not top pairing minutes. To be honest, we lack a D man who seems able to handle any type of top pairing minutes on a consistent basis (maybe Sekera? I don't believe he has that type of upside).
Hodgson and Ennis are not ready to be top line centers despite their offensive flash.
Folingo, one could argue is not ready to play top 6 minutes

Vanek is an elite forward
Pommers is a very solid two way forward who can score
Miller is a solid number one goalie

Be careful you don't trade away your "sure things" for potential that may not pan out.
You're right, but it's also a good idea to get good value for them if you feel they will not re-sign.

Also, it's time to move on from these guys, they haven't brought this team anywhere in the 5+ years they've had to do it and if you can make a smart hockey trade that will return valued picks or similar established NHL players, I'd do it.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:41 PM
Reacher Gilt

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabresandcanucks View Post
Moving Vanek, Pommers, or Miller just for the sake of "rebuilding" is a sure way to become a Florida or Columbus.
I can't see much difference to those teams other that they have some cap space available.

Old
03-10-2013, 02:56 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Any idea that means trading Vanek for prospects and picks is insane. Vanek is only traded for a legitimate , established franchise dman. Pominville should be more available but shouldn't be cheap either. 7th most points for a RW since the lockout and he can play both ends and the PK? Yeah, Poms should easily bring back top prospect + high first.

I would hope Armia could step in next year if we do move Poms, though he may need a year in the AHL.

Old
03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
Sabresfansince1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stop Winnin View Post
You're right, but it's also a good idea to get good value for them if you feel they will not re-sign.

Also, it's time to move on from these guys, they haven't brought this team anywhere in the 5+ years they've had to do it and if you can make a smart hockey trade that will return valued picks or similar established NHL players, I'd do it.
If they don't want to re-sign then of course get what you can for them. Don't blame the team's - no, the organization's - failures on the best players though. It's not their fault for being 8/10 and not 9 or 10/10. The problem has been about not having a complete roster. Go back to Drury and Briere, and even the French Connection and you can say the same thing - that they didn't bring their team far enough, but you wouldn't trade those guys away, you'd try to add to them.

Old
03-10-2013, 09:33 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Ryan Miller
to the Islanders

Old
03-10-2013, 09:38 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Ryan Miller
to the Islanders
Foooooorrrrr

Old
03-10-2013, 09:40 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess What View Post
Foooooorrrrr
Nabakov
1st

Old
03-10-2013, 09:42 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Nabakov
1st
I know some of you will agree, some disagree, I'd be tormented if Miller leaves. But I just don't have good feels about that. Unless the Islanders finish low or as low as we

Old
03-11-2013, 09:13 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Garrioch (I know) says Dubinsky is being shopped, CBJ beat write Aaron Portzline dismisses it...but for the sake of discussion, would there be any interest? His cap hit sucks, but if we moved out Stafford (either to the Jackets or in a separate deal) then the cap would be a wash, and Dubinsky could play a checking role (either wing or center).

Old
03-11-2013, 09:21 AM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Garrioch (I know) says Dubinsky is being shopped, CBJ beat write Aaron Portzline dismisses it...but for the sake of discussion, would there be any interest? His cap hit sucks, but if we moved out Stafford (either to the Jackets or in a separate deal) then the cap would be a wash, and Dubinsky could play a checking role (either wing or center).
Garrioch is pretty poor at this stuff, and Portzline always seems to be on top of all things CBJ, so I know where I'm putting my stock. But I'd be interested if he was available. But I don't think he is available. He's the type of player Davidson likes in his forward corps--big, some offensive ability, and plays both sides of the puck. Look no further than the Blues' lineup. I think he's a big part of their rebuild in Columbus.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:22 AM
struckbyaparkedcar
Zemgus Da Gawd

He's basically a gritty, American, Hecht. If we could buy low on him, I'd do it, but I wouldn't want him as the centerpiece to a Stafford trade.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
BuzzKillington90

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/buf130311.html

Looks like stafford would like a change of scenery

Old
03-11-2013, 05:47 PM
Zip15

TFP sucks.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:02 PM
AslanRH
Part of the Plan

Avs fan in peace. After all the fun surrounding ROR, got to thinking about Stafford. Seems like he is not a fan favorite currently and could use a change of venue. Fortunately, Avs have a similar player in David Jones.

Stafford for David Jones + Zanon/Hunwick/ mid to low pick as a base?

Old
03-11-2013, 06:28 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslanRH View Post
Avs fan in peace. After all the fun surrounding ROR, got to thinking about Stafford. Seems like he is not a fan favorite currently and could use a change of venue. Fortunately, Avs have a similar player in David Jones.

Stafford for David Jones + Zanon/Hunwick/ mid to low pick as a base?
No thanks.... We have more then enough scrub defensmen and Jones is half the player Stofford is.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:42 PM
enrothorne
A DJ saved my life

Send a message via AIM to enrothorne
Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
No thanks.... We have more then enough scrub defensmen and Jones is half the player Stofford is.
Could be.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:09 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:

John Scott is better than "half the player Stafford is".

Old
03-11-2013, 07:19 PM
SECRET SQUIRREL

I agree... Jones is an even worse poop sandwich then Stafford was my point.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:26 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
I agree... Jones is an even worse poop sandwich then Stafford was my point.
yea, jones is garbage

Old
03-11-2013, 07:45 PM
clumping platelets

Nearly all Sabres fans would welcome a Stafford trade..........he's a mjor part of the problem

Old
03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
thefifagod
I'm The Survivor

Although I'd have no problem trading Stafford, I'm not taking 50 cents on the dollar. Then again, I'd actually be using him correctly instead of wasting him on the 4th line and not giving him PP time

Old
03-11-2013, 09:45 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Does somebody have to be sent down or waived in order for Leino to be reactivated?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Does somebody have to be sent down or waived in order for Leino to be reactivated?
Yes.

Or Ennis could be put on IR (though "day-to-day" would seem to indicate no).

Old
03-11-2013, 09:54 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
They have 25 players (CapGeek says 26, but Pardy was loaned yesterday), with 22 currently active (Leopold, Leino, Sulzer on IR).
If Leopold and Leino come off of IR tomorrow, they'd need to demote two players.

The only waiver exempt players that are demotion options are Foligno, Flynn, and Grigorenko (Hodgson is also exempt).

Old
03-11-2013, 09:58 PM
hizzoner
HFBoards Sponsor

I think it is clear to everone that a major shakeup is needed and I include the owner in that. I suspect the brain trust is giving everyone a chance to play themselves off this team/show the ownership they deserve to be in the NHL. The team's best defenceman is Sekera--a good second pairing guy. The best forward? several tied for second--take Kaleta's heart or Gerbe's and put it in one of thos bigger skilled guys and we would have a peach. Miller keeps us in games but then gives up too many soft goals. Our coaches cannot get the team to play as a team. My solution? Bring in a tough coach and get rid of those multimillionaires who cannot hack being asked to bust their balls for the money. Stafford is a lost cause--he never cuts to the net like he used to. Miller is too expensive for what we get from him--we need someone who may not make the truly great save but will not give up 3 soft goals every 2 games. Regehr is just too old and too slow. Leopold? What happened? Myers? I do not think he got in proper shape for the season-so no trading him this year. Gerbe and Ennis--a lot of heart/speed but not enough from them offensively for top 6 and can they play for the $ for bottom 6 and be happy? I would let one of them go for the right price. Leino? We need to give him a good shot to succeed or fail and then consider what to do with him....

Closed Thread