HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #8

View Poll Results: Should we use an amnesty buyout on Bryz?
Hell Yes! 65 72.22%
Hell No! 25 27.78%
Voters: 90. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 09:30 PM
orangecrush8

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by funghoul View Post
yes. that and everyone acts like this money is holding us up from getting someone else. name names then. who are they talking about? we tried to give one of the richest contracts in NHL history out well after signing bryzgalov. our team will always spend to the max. these people crying about the cap hit act like its such a legitimate complaint but its not based around any realistic scenarios where its stopped us from picking somebody up. i think the root of all this in reality is patience. people are impatient. i'm impatient. i want a damn cup but also knew when these moves were made in 2011 that it was gonna set us back a few years. we're still progressing as a team and figuring out what works and what doesn't. the core is very young. it's gonna suck to miss the playoffs too but i like most of our pieces we just gotta grow some sacks and stop whining. stay the course. briere is the dead weight cap hit to me.
I think a lot of people (myself included) are more concerned when the cap goes down next year. I certainly don't want our goalie eating 5.6 million of cap space when in reality we can get a goalie to perform similarly while making 2.5 million.

So yeah, at this point, it hasn't hurt us. But I can see it becoming a problem in the future

Old
03-11-2013, 09:46 PM
funghoul
retardo montalbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post
I think a lot of people (myself included) are more concerned when the cap goes down next year. I certainly don't want our goalie eating 5.6 million of cap space when in reality we can get a goalie to perform similarly while making 2.5 million.

So yeah, at this point, it hasn't hurt us. But I can see it becoming a problem in the future

i don't think it stays at 64 for more than a year. the league is raining money regardless of lockouts. as far as our goalie goes. i was shocked we gave bob 5 seconds to realize full potential and then signed bryz. if i was g.m ,bob would've been my guy but they made the move and i do like bryzgalov(and outta the choices that summer he was the best) but i also feel like considering he has been such an investment they could maybe adjust around him a little. possibly hire a different goalie coach. if your gonna go for it, go for it, do everything you can to make it work. i feel like we just make these major moves almost like a tv show for shock value, but don't want to put in the effort to see them pan out. i'm bored of this team making major moves. i'd rather them just evolve together as a team. but we'll wind up making a hundred moves and run in place like we always do. going nowhere fast. i'm almost like a robot defending bryz at this point cause i saw people jump down his throat a second after we signed him. its like "next". which is the same crap that'll happen with the new guy. people aren't gonna be like "well, he kinda blows and his save perc is under .900 but his cap hit is so sensible. but thats what they act like.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush8 View Post

The Bryz supporters either don't know or don't care about the salary cap. People have been trying to explain this to them for like 9 pages now.

They don't have grasp on how bad Bryz's contract is under the new CBA.

Last edited by LegionOfDoom91: 03-11-2013 at 09:58 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 09:59 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
The Bryz supporters either don't know or don't care about the salary cap. People have been trying to explain this to them for like 9 pages now.

They don't have grasp on how bad Bryz's contract is under the new CBA.
Hypothetical question for you. What if it was Rinne, with Bryz's contract to the letter? What do you do then?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:04 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qyburn View Post
Hypothetical question for you. What if it was Rinne, with Bryz's contract to the letter? What do you do then?
He's 2 years younger and isn't inconsistent like Bryz. It would be livable to have him at $5.6 a year. Wouldn't you agree?

Old
03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
I'd consider myself a defender but I'm not always looking to find someone or something else to blame.

If you think he can eventually get us a cup, you pay him what he's getting. Can he?

Compare his career to other winning goalies' careers. Most of them are volatile. There are a select few who stay in the first tier much longer than anyone else, but they're so hard to come by that it doesn't make sense to say "only pay top tier money to a top tier goalie". You'll end up with a 3rd or 4th tier goalie on the cheap and be forced to build your team around goaltending that has 0% chance of ever being reliable. I don't like the idea of having to force the retooling of an entire team just because some don't feel a particular $2 - $3 million is justified.

I'm in favor of paying Bryz a lot because there's no better option.
I understand what you are saying. But say the Flyers buyout Bryz, and sign say, Nabokov who has almost identical stats on a bad Islanders team. You save 3.5-4 Million. You sign Dan Ellis who has played well in spot starts this year. He has the same numbers as Bryz you save almost 4 million. Look at the list of FA's, think you can get someone decent for 4 mil? Maybe Luongo gets bought out?

Like I said, you can get the same production with paying far far less.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:23 PM
Qyburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
It would be livable
Then you have your answer. No further explanations of cap intricacies required.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post
I understand what you are saying. But say the Flyers buyout Bryz, and sign say, Nabokov who has almost identical stats on a bad Islanders team. You save 3.5-4 Million. You sign Dan Ellis who has played well in spot starts this year. He has the same numbers as Bryz you save almost 4 million. Look at the list of FA's, think you can get someone decent for 4 mil? Maybe Luongo gets bought out?

I think Luongo's a pipe dream. I'd probably be willing to give Nabokov a try to be honest. Although I think there's a good chance his best years are likely behind him, while I don't feel that way about Bryz. I'd feel more confident giving Bryz more chances to continue to refine his game than resting my hopes that Nabokov pulls a TT (though if someone could, he's a candidate). Ellis I wouldn't even consider, in any situation other than one in which the team has completely committed to rebuilding.

Backstrom, Smith and possibly Nabokov. Those are the only ones who are A) (probably) not a downgrade B) have a halfway reasonable chance of becoming Flyers. The problem is it's only a halfway reasonable chance, as the former 2 are in demand by teams with space.

And on top of that, I give Bryz as much high risk upside as Backstrom if not more.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:28 PM
Bernie Parent 1974

everything would be fine in goal, if only we had Smith or Quick

35 Mike Smith PHX .897
37 Jonathan Quick LAK .895

ooops

Old
03-11-2013, 10:29 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie Parent 1974 View Post
everything would be fine in goal, if only we had Smith or Quick

35 Mike Smith PHX .897
37 Jonathan Quick LAK .895

ooops
No, everything would be fine in goal if we were paying Bob $2m a year and Pronger didn't get smacked in the eye.

Also, winning the offersheet for Weber would've been lovely.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko

Weber - Schenn
Timonen - Pronger
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bobrovsky
Leighton

Old
03-11-2013, 10:39 PM
DrHamburg

Quote:
Then you have your answer. No further explanations of cap intricacies required. I think Luongo's a pipe dream. I'd probably be willing to give Nabokov a try to be honest. Although I think there's a good chance his best years are likely behind him, while I don't feel that way about Bryz. I'd feel more confident giving Bryz more chances to continue to refine his game than resting my hopes that Nabokov pulls a TT (though if someone could, he's a candidate). Ellis I wouldn't even consider, in any situation other than one in which the team has completely committed to rebuilding.

Backstrom, Smith and possibly Nabokov. Those are the only ones who are A) (probably) not a downgrade B) have a halfway reasonable chance of becoming Flyers. The problem is it's only a halfway reasonable chance, as the former 2 are in demand by teams with space.

And on top of that, I give Bryz as much high risk upside as Backstrom if not more.
Well what is more likely...Bryz returns to elite goalie status, or he puts up the same numbers as those guys? You picked Backstrom, Smith, Nabby...now add a roster player with the money you saved on Bryz..

Old
03-11-2013, 10:40 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrHamburg View Post

Conz, Janus, Barulin, Koshechkin? Give Ramo a shot? Look in the SEL? For 4 million you can easilyget a good goalie. Scratch that. Great goalie.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:41 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
No, everything would be fine in goal if we were paying Bob $2m a year and Pronger didn't get smacked in the eye.

Also, winning the offersheet for Weber would've been lovely.

Hartnell - Giroux - Voracek
Simmonds - Schenn - Briere
Gagne - Couturier - Read
Rinaldo - Talbot - Fedotenko

Weber - Schenn
Timonen - Pronger
Coburn - Grossmann
Meszaros - Gustafsson

Bobrovsky
Leighton
if we had Pronger, we wouldnt have Weber

Old
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
if we had Pronger, we wouldnt have Weber
I know. But don't take this from me.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:42 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Quote:
Then you have your answer. No further explanations of cap intricacies required.
Bryz's production at moment isn't worth carrying that contract for 6 more years. I'm all for letting him have next year to prove himself (with hopefully a new coach and new system) he's worth the contract. But it might be better to pull the plug next summer and explore other options if he doesn't.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:44 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 955
New thread