HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Moving Schneider is the Canucks Best Move

Old
03-11-2013, 02:39 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
So let's speculate. What do you think he would fetch from Florida?
Any speculation I could make would be baseless. For every report/rumor about Luongo there seems to be an equal and opposite rumor denying the first. The media coverage of this situation has more or less played out as a perverted application of Newton's third law. Consequently it's been near impossible to draw any solid, but helpful conclusions on the matter. However if it's baseless speculation you want, baseless speculation you shall receive.

Like I said the return would be soft. How soft? Well, that depends. The one constant in the rumors is that if Tallon is going to trade for Luongo he would like to send some salary back. Whether or not it's a necessity remains to be seen. If Gillis is able to take back a contract like Upshall's he's looking at a better return. We also won't really know what pieces Tallon has available until after the trade deadline. He could sell some of his vets for picks/prospects and wind up with some extras to use on Luongo, or he could stand pat and try to trade a guy like Versteeg for Lu.

Depending on what Gillis can afford to take back and what Tallon decides to do at the deadline will largely shape the form of any return. We won't get any of Huberdeau, Bjugstad, Shore, Kulikov, Gudbranson or first round picks, but depending on how the other variables play out I think anything else is on the table. Right now my best guess would be an average roster player, B prospect and the 31-40 second rounder they're on pace to receive, plus or minus a cap dump.

That's the best I can do on a total shot in the dark like this.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:41 PM
Stop Winnin
TANK ON BOYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
The market for the best proven young goaltender not named Carey Price is going to be steep. Canucks may have to add some depth players as well, but I don't see Schneider moving for any less then a proven young NHLer, 1st round pick, and a prospect.
Yeah then he's not being traded.

Stop Winnin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:51 PM
daveleaf

I think Schneider has a lot of value. He would easily fetch more than Lindback or Bobrovsky or Varlamov and Bernier for that matter. He has played playoff hockey and played pretty well and has played well in his appearances during the season. Easily a top six young forward and one teams top prospects and maybe a mid pick. He easily slides into the starting role and never looks back. He needs games now and so does Luongo.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 02:57 PM
JuniorNelson

Schnieder? Seriously? He is valuable to Vancouver more than anywhere else. Valuable enough to displace the owner's pal Luongo, even with his lifetime sweetheart contract!

Schnieder would have to return an eighteen year old first line NHL center to be moved. Even then, it's very risky.

Roberto Luongo is not movable, it has been determined. This means this tandem is written in stone. Add the overpaid back-up to the other bad contracts and you have a team that has no future. The only younger players they have are Schnieder, Tanev and Garrison. These are the cornerstones of the franchise, now.

Vancouver has slipped out of contention through inaction and old age. Selling off younger parts isn't going to help. Gillis needs to find a taker for Luongo, Booth and others before he can begin to reload the franchise roster. This will wait for the offseason when Gillis is active. Vancouver fans must be content to watch the team's decline.

JuniorNelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Mystifo
No more Mr.FightGuy

I remember a time where Vancouver would try to sell the leafs their goalies. Good times. Only team I see having any interest would be New Jersey and I doubt they want to give up a lot.

Mystifo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:04 PM
Roof Daddy

As previous posters have mentioned, guys like Bernier and Bishop are out their for a package that probably looks like 2nd + B prospect (think Marincin/Percy/Knight/Urbom). Then add to the fact there could be options in UFA (Backstrom, Smith), and I really don't see any team parting with much more than a 1st, and certainly not a top 10 pick.

Roof Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:11 PM
palindrom

Did Schneider value increased or decreased since the end of summer 2012 ?
What about his value now vs summer 2011, while he was younger and on a cheaper contract?

Last edited by palindrom: 03-11-2013 at 05:27 PM.
palindrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:32 PM
Jag68Sid87

Their best move, imo, is to get out from under the Luongo contract and move on. If that means a draft-day deal for a 7th rounder, or an off-season buyout, so be it.

Keeping Schneider and continuing their commitment to him is their best course of action, and I'm sure Gillis sees that.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:40 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuniorNelson View Post
Schnieder? Seriously? He is valuable to Vancouver more than anywhere else. Valuable enough to displace the owner's pal Luongo, even with his lifetime sweetheart contract!

Schnieder would have to return an eighteen year old first line NHL center to be moved. Even then, it's very risky.

Roberto Luongo is not movable, it has been determined. This means this tandem is written in stone. Add the overpaid back-up to the other bad contracts and you have a team that has no future. The only younger players they have are Schnieder, Tanev and Garrison. These are the cornerstones of the franchise, now.

Vancouver has slipped out of contention through inaction and old age. Selling off younger parts isn't going to help. Gillis needs to find a taker for Luongo, Booth and others before he can begin to reload the franchise roster. This will wait for the offseason when Gillis is active. Vancouver fans must be content to watch the team's decline.

Keeping both Luongo and Schneider, until Schneider become UFA summer 2015 and walk away, is an option Vancouver should consider, for the exact same reasons they kept both goalies this season.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:43 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Did Schneider value increased or decreased since the end of summer 2012 ?
What about his value now vs summer 2011, while he was younger and on a cheaper contract?
Decreased. His numbers last year were much better than this year. He's also looked mentally fragile at points. He was expected to be a young starter that would lead a President's trophy team.

Now, he's barely hanging onto his #1 position. His team is nowhere near the president's trophy, and he's had some really awful games.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
palindrom

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Decreased. His numbers last year were much better than this year. He's also looked mentally fragile at points. He was expected to be a young starter that would lead a President's trophy team.

Now, he's barely hanging onto his #1 position. His team is nowhere near the president's trophy, and he's had some really awful games.
Its possible that Schneider's peak was around 24-26yo and will slightly decline from now on. While its not the most common path, many goalies effectively peak around 24-26yo.

Maybe the problem is: Vancouver didn't make a full use (By trading or playing him more) of Schneider's best years.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:55 PM
blankall

Quote:
Originally Posted by palindrom View Post
Its possible that Schneider's peak was around 24-26yo and will slightly decline from now on. While its not the most common path, many goalies effectively peak around 24-26yo.

Maybe the problem is: Vancouver didn't make a full use (By trading or playing him more) of Schneider's best years.
I think it was also unreasonable to expect him to maintain last year's numbers. He was a backup, which is a much easier role, both physically and mentally.

Schneider still has the potential to be a starter, however, he will only have real value as long as he is playing well. Often goalies who are underperforming get shipped out for other goalies. See Elliot/Anderson.

blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:33 PM
tml145

Scheider is a glorified backup

tml145 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:35 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
The market for the best proven young goaltender not named Carey Price is going to be steep. Canucks may have to add some depth players as well, but I don't see Schneider moving for any less then a proven young NHLer, 1st round pick, and a prospect.
Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeroknowledge View Post
Josefson and a 1st(15th-20th) for Schneider and a 2nd(50th-60th)

Let's not kid ourselves goalies, never ever bring back big returns.
Nope, not even close.

Sergei Shirokov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchultzSquared View Post
lollllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll ll

Are you serious... a 27-year-old with a 2.63 GAA and 0.910 save percentage is the best proven young goaltender since Price...

How about watch some of the other teams in the league ideally those not just in Vancouver and Montreal...

Some depth players... sure... if you mean like two of Schroeder Kassian Hansen. Get real.
This is where you lost all credibility.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlo Stanfield View Post
Take out Nino and sub in something else and it works.

EDIT:

Nabakov + Vis + KO for Schneider + Ballard + a late pick?
No way. Terrible from our end.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Sergei Shirokov

Alright you guys can doubt Cory all you want.

We will gladly keep him and then when he is a top 5 goalie in the league you all can eat your words.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
knoxdown

Schneider + Ballard

for

Nielsen, Nabokov, 3rd

knoxdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:06 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by tml145 View Post
Scheider is a glorified backup
I wouldn't go that far. That's all he's currently proven to be, but that doesn't mean that's the extent of his career for the future.

Calling him just a glorified backup is really just as inaccurate as calling him an established starter.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:13 PM
Steve Bennett*

There is no way the Canucks trade Schneider. He is already one of the top 5 goalies in the league and will be one of if not the best goalie for the next decade. No way we give him up unless its a crazy package that I wouldn't even dream to make up at this point. But in case I did dream it up it would be something like Coburn, Voracek, Simmonds and a 1st. Well maybe not that much but you get the idea.

Steve Bennett* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:27 PM
Leafs Win The Cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bennett View Post
There is no way the Canucks trade Schneider. He is already one of the top 5 goalies in the league and will be one of if not the best goalie for the next decade. No way we give him up unless its a crazy package that I wouldn't even dream to make up at this point. But in case I did dream it up it would be something like Coburn, Voracek, Simmonds and a 1st. Well maybe not that much but you get the idea.
Fire Assistant GM Laurence Gilman and hire Steve Bennett!

Leafs Win The Cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs Win The Cup View Post
Fire Assistant GM Laurence Gilman and hire Steve Bennett!
Yeah...he's a little overboard, but he's more like a mascot then a representative.

I'm of the frame of mind that given the 5 year age difference, you keep who's playing best now. Both have a few blemishes this season, but I feel Lu has played better and more consistently.

Our goalies aren't the problem. Our ultra conservative coach and lack luster effort in every other part of our roster are the problems.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:58 PM
mstad101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cogburn View Post
Yeah...he's a little overboard, but he's more like a mascot then a representative.

I'm of the frame of mind that given the 5 year age difference, you keep who's playing best now. Both have a few blemishes this season, but I feel Lu has played better and more consistently.

Our goalies aren't the problem. Our ultra conservative coach and lack luster effort in every other part of our roster are the problems.
If coaching will make the team actually score goals. Well yeah let's blame the coach. But everyone needs to be real here. This is a one line scoring team and Canuck fans need to stop painting this as a coaching problem.
The team has never been even as close to as successful as it has been since AV has become the coach. The guy can be frustrating to watch but it's not like he or the goaltenders can go out and actually score more than 2 goals a game.

mstad101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 10:59 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
Alright you guys can doubt Cory all you want.

We will gladly keep him and then when he is a top 5 goalie in the league you all can eat your words.
Top 5? lol.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:11 PM
Cogburn

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstad101 View Post
If coaching will make the team actually score goals. Well yeah let's blame the coach. But everyone needs to be real here. This is a one line scoring team and Canuck fans need to stop painting this as a coaching problem.
The team has never been even as close to as successful as it has been since AV has become the coach. The guy can be frustrating to watch but it's not like he or the goaltenders can go out and actually score more than 2 goals a game.
I think coaching could fix that. Raymond, Henrik, Daniel, Higgins, and Hansen have all played well, but other offensive forwards like Kassian, Booth and Schroeder, who could be effective scoring forwards, and seem perennially in the doghouse. Same deal with Ballard who was playing far, far, far better then our top four to start the season for a change.

I think the book is out on AV, and that's why short of the Sedins, we can't seem to get consistent offence.

I have no problem with this, but even before injuries happened, our D plan seems to not make sense to anyone. This is what is killing us, IMO.

And a lackluster effort from the whole line up.

Cogburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:22 PM
roach9

The subject of this thread is false.

roach9 is offline   Reply With Quote