HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Was DiPietro off because Stirling got on him?

Closed Thread

Old
12-21-2003, 04:44 PM
NYIsles1*

vCash: 500
Was DiPietro was off because Stirling got on him?

All I can say is I sure hope not. He has to be preparred from his time in practice to be ready to play when needed.

Whatever Stirling had to say about his shaving cream antics on television should not play into it this at all and even the media that looks for gossip did not have the story so for the most part it was kept in house.

Papineau did not look thrilled about it yesterday on television.

Only DiPietro knows if it had an effect on his game, this is the only coach he has had for the last three seasons and knows what's expected.

Bottom line he has to make sure he is ready when called on and it did not look that way. Maybe it was the flu he had or the rust from not playing or what happened between him and Stirling but the Isles needed him to come in and give this team three peirods today and he did not look ready.

First time I watched him this season and wanted him pulled, even after the first goal.

Old
12-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Islesman819

Send a message via AIM to Islesman819
Dipietro really has to grow up. I sort of understand his frustration, but you just dont do that crap. I hope that this doesnt stir things about and Stirling decides to bench him. I think he has potential, but he needs to grow up and stop being so conceited. Just my two cents.

Old
12-21-2003, 06:21 PM
Pierce34*

What's this shaving cream story? (Sorry not an Isles fan here, but like I said before I'm sorta following your team this season).

Old
12-22-2003, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierce34
What's this shaving cream story? (Sorry not an Isles fan here, but like I said before I'm sorta following your team this season).
During one of the intermissions of yesterday's game against the Flyers, Deb Kaufman was interviewing Justin Papineau when all of a sudden Rick DiPietro comes up and slaps him in the face with a handful of shaving cream on live TV. All three of them got a good laugh, but Howie and Joe were talking about how that was inappropriate during an intermission and that maybe you'd see that after a game where they won but certainly not at that time. Tonight they had mentioned how Steve Stirling was pissed when he caught wind of it.

Tonight Dipietro was awful in the game, gave up weak goals, took a dumb penalty and got yanked and threw a fit on the bench as he yelled at the coach and stormed off to the locker room but came back to sulk on the bench. And this is our future franchise goalie. God help us. He's very immature and needs to grow up with an attitude adjustment. Worst of all, he's shown me nothing yet in goal.

Old
12-22-2003, 03:19 AM
7:11 of OT
Call my Monkey Butch

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19
During one of the intermissions of yesterday's game against the Flyers, Deb Kaufman was interviewing Justin Papineau when all of a sudden Rick DiPietro comes up and slaps him in the face with a handful of shaving cream on live TV. All three of them got a good laugh, but Howie and Joe were talking about how that was inappropriate during an intermission and that maybe you'd see that after a game where they won but certainly not at that time. Tonight they had mentioned how Steve Stirling was pissed when he caught wind of it.

Tonight Dipietro was awful in the game, gave up weak goals, took a dumb penalty and got yanked and threw a fit on the bench as he yelled at the coach and stormed off to the locker room but came back to sulk on the bench. And this is our future franchise goalie. God help us. He's very immature and needs to grow up with an attitude adjustment. Worst of all, he's shown me nothing yet in goal.

Thanks for the recap 19, I didn't see this before my prior post asking for the story.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:43 AM
srednalsi

Lets give the kid a break. He was probably just trying to lighten up the mood with the guys with the shave pie incident. Everyone is getting on Dipi's case now that Snow has put together a hand full of good games. In my eyes Snowy shows flashes of good goaltending at best. He is not consistent and that is why he will be a backup till the end of his career. I agree Dipi did not play well agains the Caps and showed poor judgement in taking the penalties. Should he have been pulled? Well it worked out for us, and also that kind of dumb penalty should not be tollerated and I commend Stirling for sticking to his system. If he didn't pull the kid, it may have seemed like favortism as they have known eachother for over 3 years as player/coach.
All in all, its tough for a 22 year old goaly to get comfy playing once every 8-10 games or so. I am not saying I have a solution but lets give the kid a break.
I want to hear everyone's reactions when Snowy is back to being swiss cheese and Dipi is stealing points.
I think we are ok in the goaly department, not great and not terrible. We gotta work with what we got.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:10 AM
NYIsles1*

Quote:
Originally Posted by psymon
Lets give the kid a break. He was probably just trying to lighten up the mood with the guys with the shave pie incident.
True, but the organization did not see it that way and that's what counts. Whatever, it's over.

Quote:
Everyone is getting on Dipi's case now that Snow has put together a hand full of good games. In my eyes Snowy shows flashes of good goaltending at best. He is not consistent and that is why he will be a backup till the end of his career. I agree Dipi did not play well agains the Caps and showed poor judgement in taking the penalties. Should he have been pulled? Well it worked out for us, and also that kind of dumb penalty should not be tollerated and I commend Stirling for sticking to his system. If he didn't pull the kid, it may have seemed like favortism as they have known eachother for over 3 years as player/coach.
It did work out. Credit to Stirling.

No one should be getting on DiPietro for a bad game, and of course Snow is what he is. He will have more than his share of bad games and needed to make those saves on Vandermeer and it costs them against Philadelphia.

Bottom line there are no perfect answers for the Islander goaltending at this time. DiPietro had a good stretch, Snow has had a good stretch. Snow recent efforts many have said are the first points stolen by Islander goaltending this season. I do agree with that.

Quote:
All in all, its tough for a 22 year old goaly to get comfy playing once every 8-10 games or so. I am not saying I have a solution but lets give the kid a break.
Hopefully he will come back with a strong game next time. Isles are going to need him steal his share of points if they have any hope of making the playoffs.

Quote:
I want to hear everyone's reactions when Snowy is back to being swiss cheese and Dipi is stealing points.
I think we are ok in the goaly department, not great and not terrible. We gotta work with what we got.
My guess is you will get reactions to bench Snow and play DiPietro. I agree the goaltending is not great and not terrible, ups and downs bottom line is they need both goaltenders to do the job when called on.

But here's what's stood out for me. It's late December, how many times has DiPietro stolen points this season for the Isles?

Outside of the Dallas game and his save on Modano, there has not been much since the very early part of the season. He had some games last season where he was dominating.

Closed Thread