HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Imperfect skate blades...

Old
03-11-2013, 04:30 PM
mistrhanky

vCash: 500
Imperfect skate blades...

I am pretty sure my skate blades, at least one of them, are not straight. How badly does this really effect your skating?

mistrhanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 04:35 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
I am pretty sure my skate blades, at least one of them, are not straight. How badly does this really effect your skating?
It will completely mess it up. Take it to a nearby shop and ask the guys there for help.

PlayBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
mistrhanky

Here is a picture of it. I don't know if you can really tell or not. I am not a very good skater, but it seems to me that a bent blade can't be helping. And yes, that is a 14 skate.

Is straightening a blade a common task or something where they need a day or two to work on it, anyone know?

Old
03-11-2013, 09:44 PM
simnorm

poor skating, and nearly impossible to sharpen right.

On my skates, the blade wasn't the problem. It was the base of the skate that wasn't leveled. They had to place shims between the skate and holder, and place new rivets. The blade straighten out after that.

simnorm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 09:48 PM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Looks like it may be bent. Try putting a ruler flat against the side of the blade. If there's any space between the ruler and the blade you might want to take it to a shop.

Wilch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:00 AM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
Looks like it may be bent. Try putting a ruler flat against the side of the blade. If there's any space between the ruler and the blade you might want to take it to a shop.
Definitely looks bent, I agree.

Take it to a good sharpener and afterwards you should also be able to balance a coin such as a quarter(or if you're Canadian, the loonie) on the blade of the skate. It should appear to lay perfectly flat, forming a 90 degree straight angle.

Also, it won't take them long to straighten it unless there's a serious defect to begin with. If you're worried about missing your next shinny, or couple rec games, I would not sweat it. Odds are on they can straighten it right away, or worse, sell you new blades. I doubt you will be out of skates for any period of time because of this.

Last edited by PlayBall: 03-12-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: Added more
Old
03-12-2013, 08:33 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayBall View Post
Definitely looks bent, I agree.

Take it to a good sharpener and afterwards you should also be able to balance a coin such as a quarter(or if you're Canadian, the loonie) on the blade of the skate. It should appear to lay perfectly flat, forming a 90 degree straight angle.

Also, it won't take them long to straighten it unless there's a serious defect to begin with. If you're worried about missing your next shinny, or couple rec games, I would not sweat it. Odds are on they can straighten it right away, or worse, sell you new blades. I doubt you will be out of skates for any period of time because of this.
That has nothing to do with the straightness of the steel, but rather, the levelness of the edges.

AIREAYE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:06 AM
sanityplease

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistrhanky View Post
If it's really bent as much as it appears to be it will really affect your skating (I've wondered if mine have been bent in the past-optical illusion- & put a straightedge on it & nope!).

I've seen warped boots/holders from DIY home baking (the guy blamed his problem on bent steel....), make sure you take it to someone who really knows what they're doing.

sanityplease is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
PlayBall
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
That has nothing to do with the straightness of the steel, but rather, the levelness of the edges.
You're right. I just shared that tip because if one thing's wrong, the blades might not be level as well.

Old
03-29-2013, 01:38 PM
mistrhanky

Thought I would come back and post an update.

Indeed, my blades were bent. My right skate(dominant foot) had about the back third of the skate bending as much as 1/8" off of level. My left had some center unevenness as well. I took them to a local pro shop and they were able to straighten them in about 5 minutes. They immediately felt better on the ice. Then, this week, I had them sharpened up and it felt even better. Amazing difference. Thanks for the good advice.

Old
03-29-2013, 04:52 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by AIREAYE View Post
But if the blade is bent, it will be hard to get a sharpening that's level everywhere along the blade.

LarryO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 04:59 PM
newfr4u

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanityplease View Post
I've seen warped boots/holders from DIY home baking (the guy blamed his problem on bent steel....), make sure you take it to someone who really knows what they're doing.
can you please explain? DIY home baking is really easy, as long as you watch the temperature and not removing the blades keeps the holder from changing shape.

newfr4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:33 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryO View Post
But if the blade is bent, it will be hard to get a sharpening that's level everywhere along the blade.
Yes, but placing a quarter is only going to tell you if the line is correct or not. It has nothing to do with whether your blade it bent or not.

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:46 PM
Fanned On It

Certain shops have machines made just for straightening out hockey blades (mine doesn't ((Sad face)))... it's like a little press and it'll straighten your blade out for sure. Beware though, sometimes bent steel can cause the blade channel in your TUUK to warp as well.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:49 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by TieClark View Post
Yes, but placing a quarter is only going to tell you if the line is correct or not. It has nothing to do with whether your blade it bent or not.
I never said anything about a quarter. But if a blade is bent, it can be level a few inches from the toe and level a few inches from the heel but be out of level in the center of the blade.

Old
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
TieClark

Quote:
I never said anything about a quarter. But if a blade is bent, it can be level a few inches from the toe and level a few inches from the heel but be out of level in the center of the blade.
Yes you're correct, however he was replying to a quote stating to use a quarter and see if it's level

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:53 PM
Fanned On It

Quote:
Great point. I was going to say this myself but decided not to lol. Just because your edges are level at one end of the blade or even both ends doesn't mean it's level all throughout.

Fanned On It is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-29-2013, 05:55 PM
LarryO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanned On It View Post
Certain shops have machines made just for straightening out hockey blades (mine doesn't ((Sad face)))... it's like a little press and it'll straighten your blade out for sure. Beware though, sometimes bent steel can cause the blade channel in your TUUK to warp as well.
Or your steel can be straight but putting it in a bent holder will hold the blade in a curve. That's why sometimes when you have one bent blade, you can switch the blades of the two skates and see whether the curve is in the holder or the blade.