HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

For all those who think we overpaid for Ribs

Old
07-28-2006, 01:07 AM
Kirk Muller

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hunjeebakala View Post
no he doesn't.
even if he did, ribeiro doesn't even try and pretty much eclipses what calder does. with our coaching staff ribs will work hard on a nightly basis (or he'll hit the bricks) and he'll be a bargain compared to calder.

calder's contract makes bob look like a genius. he took a few bumps, but he's getting a good handle of things now.

At this point in his career, Ribeiro is what he is. He isn't going to change his attitude, he isn't gonna change his play or work ethic. Just because an arbitrator decided to make Calder overpaid, it doesn't negate the fact the Ribeiro is. The only difference is Montreal brought it on themselves, Chicago and teams like Buffalo just got ridiculous decisions forced on them.

This imo is Ribeiro's deciding year. If he puts up another year like the last two, he will be out of Montreal. He will always find work but no team with Cup aspirations will want him. We will see what he does.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:22 AM
Kirk Muller*

I don't think Ribeiro is overpaid. He is at the high end of what you can expect a player like him to earn, but he is not drastically overpaid.

I think that Gainey met with Ribeiro at the beginning of the year and set objectives for him, such as better defense, more hustle, things to work on, etc. By the end of the year, I think he saw Ribeiro had worked reasonably well towards these objectives. The offense wasn't there, but it was evident that Ribeiro had worked towards what Bob told him to, so he got a raise as he expected. I think that's how it works for most players. It's not just about production, it's about improving aspects of your game, setting objectives with management and working towards reaching them. I have a lot of hope that he can continue his progress and break out offensively this year.

Kirk Muller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:58 AM
wholeshow*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
At this point in his career, Ribeiro is what he is. He isn't going to change his attitude, he isn't gonna change his play or work ethic. Just because an arbitrator decided to make Calder overpaid, it doesn't negate the fact the Ribeiro is. The only difference is Montreal brought it on themselves, Chicago and teams like Buffalo just got ridiculous decisions forced on them.

This imo is Ribeiro's deciding year. If he puts up another year like the last two, he will be out of Montreal. He will always find work but no team with Cup aspirations will want him. We will see what he does.
he'll have a career year...bank on it.

wholeshow* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:17 AM
Marksman

Both of these players are overpaid, but if there was a chance of swapping these two straight up I'd take Calder. He has better ppg ratio (.58 > .55), plays more rounded game and hes a left winger, not a centerman we have enough already. Right now Ribeiro is cheaper, yes, but hes also year younger, he will propably end up costing even more season later.

Marksman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 07:24 AM
RedArmyMontreal*

Damn am I glad that Gainey signed Ryder before arbitration

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:48 AM
wedge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipos_19 View Post
Damn am I glad that Gainey signed Ryder before arbitration
yeah.. now we can confirm that he would have got very close to 3 millions, if not more...

wedge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Dr. Charles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Calder >> Ribeiro

I'd take Calder anyday over Ribeiro.

Ribeiro is a great passer, has lots of talent, but he's such an anti-Gainey, lazy, slow skater, has such a bad attitude, Ribs is even lazy to get back to the bench for quick line changes which is so selfish...very anti-team of him. Ribeiro brings shame to the CH. I can't wait till he leaves. We need more guys like Higgins, Komisarek, Chipchura...now these guys I'm proud of!
More Chipchura????
More Komisarek????

seriously????

I like Komisarek, he's big and looks like he's trying hard
we all love good intentions
but he's working hard to stay at the NHL level,
he's not SO special.

And we need more Chipchura?
We need more possible 3rd liner?
More guys that are not sure to make the team, ever?

Is this really what we need more?

Dr. Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:35 AM
Shatmat*

Quote:
no he doesn't.
even if he did, ribeiro doesn't even try and pretty much eclipses what calder does. with our coaching staff ribs will work hard on a nightly basis (or he'll hit the bricks) and he'll be a bargain compared to calder.

calder's contract makes bob look like a genius. he took a few bumps, but he's getting a good handle of things now.
If Calder isn't a leader, gritty with good work ethic then tell me what kind of player he is. Calder got more points than Ribeiro last season and didn't have Kovalev for linemate if you see what I mean.

This beeing said, I still think he's overpaid. My point was, don't compare him to Ribeiro

Shatmat* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:38 AM
BLNY

Send a message via MSN to BLNY Send a message via Yahoo to BLNY
Without knowing what Chicago offered in the case, it's hard to really comment. With the new system, the abritrator has to pick the player side or team side. There's no in between. If Chicago low-balled, which is entirely in their character, then the arbitrator is going to side with the player.

Is it too much for Calder? Yes. By a long shot. But imo it shows that Chicago likely came in with a ridiculously low offer.

BLNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 11:39 AM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
he'll have a career year...bank on it.

Just like people "banked on it" last year.

Kirk Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 12:37 PM
flappuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLNY View Post
Without knowing what Chicago offered in the case, it's hard to really comment. With the new system, the abritrator has to pick the player side or team side. There's no in between. If Chicago low-balled, which is entirely in their character, then the arbitrator is going to side with the player.
Judging from the Gomez arbitration results and what people claimed both sides asked for, (NJ - 4M$ / Gomez 7M$) and he got 5M$, it's not one or the other.

I've checked quickly in the actual CBA document found on nhlpa.com and didn't see anything saying the arbitrator has to choose one of the two offers although I might have missed something.

flappuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 01:42 PM
24Cups

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal View Post
What the hell are these arbitrator's doing? This is a disgrace, close to 3M I don't like Ribs contract, don't understand why got got a huge raise but if these arbitrator's keep handing out crappy contracts, I fear what some Habs might get next year if any ended up going to arbitration, since Gainey gave out a lot of one year contracts.
It's going to take a GM to walk away from a contract and then the rest of them to resist picking up the player for the arbitrated price. The GM's who manage the cap the best will eventually guide the best teams. I trust Bob as much as any other GM in this regard.

24Cups is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:57 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshiro View Post
The pressure is to assign more decision making power in the hands of the players about where they will play as teams will not be able to afford many so the decision to play somewhere else will be based on money, climate, language, taxes, press etc and the habs will suffer. It is an effect it which doesnt mean that the world will explode but it will negatively impact on the Habs if they are gaining because of meritorious drafting trading etc.
It affects every team, good drafters and traders or not. The Senators made a canny trade with the Islanders to get Zdeno Chara, they enjoyed him for a few seasons, then poof, they lost him.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:19 PM
larue*

The players will always find a loophole and arbritration is just that!

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:47 PM
Pascal

arbitration is freakin stupid. they should do it football style. here's our offer your spoiled millionaire, if you don't like it have fun watching the games on tv.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 01:04 PM
Gainiac

Originally Posted by the_crippler12
http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/209384.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProudToBeAHabFan View Post
I hate it when people put a link like that, out of topic, and don't say a single argument or opinion.

what do you want to say? Why are you bringing the Pominville and Lydman's signing? What's your point? SAY SOMETHING!!!!

Really? You hate it? Strong stuff. Can't figure out the relevance? Really need it spelled out? OK:

The thread was started as an attempt to put Ribeiro's 1 year, $1.9 million salary in context, specifically as it compares to Calder's arbitration award of 1 year, $2.95 million. Now you can spend hours juxtaposing their stats, ages, potential, salaries, upsides etc... and concluding that Mikey is a bargain compared to Kyle or vice versa...

But if you can't figure out that the link to the two Beefalo players was tossed into the mix for exactly the same purpose, or that it directly relates to this thread's title: "For All Those Who Think We Overpaid For Ribs" ... and if your confusion makes you hulk out...

Well, I don't know what to tell you pal, maybe try shiatsu...

Gainiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 01:11 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm glad the Habs don't have to pay Ribeiro more than $1.9M, which he probably would have gotten in an arbitration hearing. I'm sorry the Habs will be paying him instead of a better center. Better luck next year.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote