HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Fantasy Hockey Talk > All Time Draft
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
All Time Draft Fantasy league where players of the past and present meet.

ATD 2013 - Draft Thread VI

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 07:07 PM
Dreakmur

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalyd Psycho View Post
That's why I'm more interested in comparisons to all positions. Just as 70's wingers show their colours that way, how does Hay compare to Duke Keats would be helpful.
They were both in the West from 1922 to 1926.

Keats was good for about 30 points per season, with the exception of his 55 point explosion.

George Hay was also good for about 30 points per season, with the exception of an injury-shortened season where he scored 20.

Basically, they were about equal for 4 of 5 season out west. Keats had one peak season that Hay didn't have.

Edit:
Actually, Hay did have a high-peak season, but it was in the NHL when he finished 3rd in a consolidated league. Likely was not as good as Keats' top season, but I would think it's close.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:34 PM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sturminator View Post
Ross is an interesting coach in the ATD. I have seen more than one reference to the notion that he invented "kitty-bar-the-door" defensive tactics in hockey, or what would now be called the trap, though strangely he doesn't seem to have necessarily run that system too often on Boston with Eddie Shore on the blueline.
Kitty-bar-the-door has more in common with Bowman's left wing lock, as it seems to be about putting guys in charge of holding ground at the blueline and hitting guys as they enter the offensive zone. (The trap is a less mobile four player defensive system I hadn't encountered before Lou in New Jersey dominated with it from the early nineties.)

That said, Ross experimented and introduced many new techniques, often finding new ways of doing things, a real creative, task-oriented mind.

Quote:
Some time ago, I ran across what looks like a juicy article concerning Ross and new vs. old coaching tactics circa 1942. I saved the link (which is below), though it's behind a pay wall, so if you want the goods, you'll have to shell out a couple of bucks. Anyway, here it is:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonito...e&pqatl=google

Here is yet another article which seems to hint at a sort of coaching duel between Ross and the Rangers coaches:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonito...ried+by+Boston

And finally, here's one from the 1939 playoffs (which would culminate in Ross' only Cup win as a manager) which calls Bill Cowley the nemesis of Lester Patrick. It might shed some light on all of Cowley, Ross and Patrick, if we're lucky:

http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/csmonito...o+Ranger+Plans

Lord only knows what's actually in those articles, but I can tell you that the one time I paid to unlock a CSM article, it was very much worth it (it was the article in the dirt thread giving the exact date of the implementation of powerplay rules in the NHL). A pack of 4 articles is eleven bucks, so if you've got one more CSM article you want to take a look at, it might be worth it. I have a feeling that there's a treasure trove of information specifically about Ross' coaching style in those articles.
Thanks sturm for the links. Once I pay off my credit card (next month) I'll look into investing in those articles!

Last edited by VanIslander: 03-11-2013 at 07:42 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 09:06 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

I'm picking my coach now.

May not be the best coach available, but I think he fits the team identity that I'm trying to create very well.

Lindy Ruff, Coach

Old
03-11-2013, 09:23 PM
BubbaBoot

Watching Bruins v Sens shootout, I'll pick in a minute.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:25 PM
Johnny Engine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I'm picking my coach now.

May not be the best coach available, but I think he fits the team identity that I'm trying to create very well.

Lindy Ruff, Coach
I'm kind of dumbfounded by Ruff's ATD qualifications myself. Not sure whether he's the ultimate company man or just a guy who always did well with what he's been handed. Really could go either way.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:29 PM
BubbaBoot

Bruins win.....nice shooting and moves.....but I still hate the shootout....anyways.....

Whoops, i'm not up, good thing I didn't jump the gun.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:34 PM
Hawkey Town 18

Mike Bossy Bio

Old
03-12-2013, 12:29 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Conn Smythe? Two Stanley Cup champions? Yeah, I'll go ahead and take probably the best backup goalie in this draft ... from Calgary, Alberta ... G Mike Vernon

Old
03-12-2013, 12:59 AM
BubbaBoot

Adding some punch to round out the 4th line, the Boston Mules select the pesky trash-talking yahoo RWer Leo Labine.

nik jr has been PMed.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-12-2013 at 01:06 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 05:56 AM
EagleBelfour

vCash: 873
Quote:
Originally Posted by ck26 View Post
Conn Smythe? Two Stanley Cup champions? Yeah, I'll go ahead and take probably the best backup goalie in this draft ... from Calgary, Alberta ... G Mike Vernon
I'll take my very own Ed Giacomin and Rogatien Vachon over Mike Vernon at the very least. There's also a few undrafted I would definitely take before Vernon.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:59 AM
Johnny Engine

I would imagine ck26 is talking about Vernon's generally harmonious relationships with other goaltenders who may or may not have been playing more than him, depending on the year.

I don't know how you'd look at his resume and say "yep, best goalie out there", but there's that, anyway.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:13 AM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Engine View Post
I would imagine ck26 is talking about Vernon's generally harmonious relationships with other goaltenders who may or may not have been playing more than him, depending on the year.

I don't know how you'd look at his resume and say "yep, best goalie out there", but there's that, anyway.
Both Giacomin and Vachon spent significant portions of their careers in platoon situations though, and I don't know anything about any friction there. And yes, they were both better than Vernon.

Edit: nik jr is skipped - I PMed Darth Yoda to tell him he can pick.

Last edited by TheDevilMadeMe: 03-12-2013 at 06:25 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 06:45 AM
EagleBelfour

We're on deck and ready to pick as soon as DY shows up

Old
03-12-2013, 07:21 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
We're on deck and ready to pick as soon as DY shows up
I'm here. Trying to figure out some stuff, it's not easy at this stage.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I'm here. Trying to figure out some stuff, it's not easy at this stage.
Don't worry, it's not like the next GM in line is waiting to select, refreshing the page every three minutes waiting for you to make your selection

(I'm kidding, take your time )

Old
03-12-2013, 07:47 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleBelfour View Post
I'll take my very own Ed Giacomin and Rogatien Vachon over Mike Vernon at the very least. There's also a few undrafted I would definitely take before Vernon.
Giacomin is the one guy who I thought someone might argue about, and my case for Vernon would be primarily (weakly) built on team success. I was thrilled to see other teams take Lorne Chabot and Mike Liut as backups ahead of Vernon.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:51 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Giacomin is the one guy who I thought someone might argue about, and my case for Vernon would be primarily (weakly) built on team success. I was thrilled to see other teams take Lorne Chabot and Mike Liut as backups ahead of Vernon.
I definitely see a case for Vernon over both Liut & Chabot, especially as a backup goaltender. I actually think there's no contest that Eddie Giacomin is the best backup in this draft. He's actually a better regular season goaltender than more than a few starters. However, his playoff portfolio is atrocious, which I fully understand why people stay away from him as a starter. He was not on our radar as a starter, but easily atop of our list as a backup.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:00 AM
Darth Yoda

vCash: 593
I dont think i'm gonna come much longer, so i'll go with my gut feeling(Hav'nt slept in 18 hours though but i think it's good)

Viking Maniacs selects Bobby Schmautz.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:01 AM
EagleBelfour

With our 19th selection, the 600th in this year All-Time Draft, les Nordiques de Quebec are extremely proud to select, from Goodsoil, Saskatchewan, Canada, D Ron Greschner

''To complete our top-six on defence, we are very please to select the smooth and mobile Ron Greschner to play alongside Frantisek Tikal. The 6'02'', 205 pounds Greschner is a fantastic puckhandler, who could run a powerplay and score goals from the point with his terrific shot. Just as good in the defensive zone, Ron is one of the good two-way defenceman who played in the NHL during the 1970's & 1980's. A quiet leader who like to lead by example, he played all of his 16 NHL seasons with the New York Rangers. We are very happy to complete our defensive squad with a versatile defenceman that will be able to replace in a pinch on any defensive pairing and on any special team unit, if necessary.''

Old
03-12-2013, 08:03 AM
Hawkman

The Beezer is better than Vernon. This is just rookie trash talk.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:04 AM
EagleBelfour

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The Beezer is better than Vernon. This is just rookie trash talk.
CottonKing has been around for a while!

And yes, Vanbiesbrouck is a better backup.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:43 AM
MadArcand
We do not sow

Quote:
I took Liut over Vernon, and I'd take at least a dozen undrafted goalies over Vernon as well. He's a bottom-half backup.

And on a sidenote, taking inspiration from Sturm's 'no tip-toeing'... IMO Ruff will likely end up being the worst coach drafted. Sorry Dwight.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:53 AM
overpass

The Ottawa Senators select D Robyn Regehr.

At 6'3" and 225 lbs, Regehr has been an excellent defensive defenceman and a feared hitter for over a decade. He has killed 51% of his team's penalties during his time in the NHL and has punished countless NHL forwards who have ventured into the Tunnel of Love on his side of the ice.

Regehr had a memorable peak where he received a lot of recognition around the league, starting in the 2004 Finals run by Calgary when he led Calgary defencemen in minutes played, scored 9 points, was +7, and played shutdown defence. He followed up this performance by being asked to play for Canada in the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, the 2005 World Championships, and the 2006 Winter Olympics.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
VanIslander
17/07/2014 ATD RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmm View Post
The Beezer is better than Vernon.
Having seen both of them throughout their careers, I have no doubt about that whatsoever. That said,... to those who haven't seen them at all or much, an argument needs to be made. (This may be the place for stats.)

There certainly hasn't been a clearly weaker Conn Smythe winner than Vernon. I was pissed as hell when they announced the default pick, as is sometimes the case when there are several candidates, the goalie is voted for.

The role Vernon had in the two cup wins is... I want to say marginal, but let's say average, not top-5 on the team, just happens to be a more high profile position (he gets the wins on the backs of better players in front of him).

While Vernon is a worthy backup in the draft, he sure ain't the best, and there will be 2 or 3 undrafteds who will go in the MLD who are arguably his equal in all but cup counting.

(I am sure glad Vernon is drafted after Macoun, because the latter was a better defensive defenseman than the former was a goalie imo oty.)

Old
03-12-2013, 09:02 AM
BubbaBoot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Yoda View Post
I dont think i'm gonna come much longer, so i'll go with my gut feeling(Hav'nt slept in 18 hours though but i think it's good)

Viking Maniacs selects Bobby Schmautz.
I like Schmautzie, he was on my radar for my last pick. I wanted a bit more of a grittier presence and that was why i picked Labine, although Schmautz was a bit of a wingnut himself.

ROFL, I was thinking of the ridiculous, pre-code curve on his stick blade that he used to have.....it wasn't unusual for one of his slapshots to go up unheeded into first balcony of the old Boston Garden.....somebody told me that once he had one sling off his blade and went directly up into the 2nd balcony...don't know if that's true though.

Closed Thread