HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > Canadian Junior Hockey > OHL

*OFFICIAL* Sarnia Sting 2012-13 Season Thread (Part 2)

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-09-2013, 05:30 PM
  #176
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by honey bee View Post
That was one fun game last night, nothing like taking the wind out of London's sails. Great comeback, boys. Dale Hunter pulled his usual temper tamptrum during overtime to intimidate the referees and it worked. Even the Sportsnet team commented on it! But the boys fought it off and got the win. Great night, I could not come away feeling better!!!
What an embarrassment for the OHL officials who get intimited by the Hunters.This has gone on for quite some time.To call such a lousy penality in OT is just a joke and egg on the OHL face.Enjoy Mr Branch

massey is offline  
Old
03-09-2013, 06:00 PM
  #177
honey bee
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 55
vCash: 500
Any new on Duinick's injury? Hopefully not anything too bad, although a puck in the face cannot be a good thing.

honey bee is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 08:25 PM
  #178
hardoil3232
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 101
vCash: 500
winner of mar 17th game between soo and knights could determine 6th vs 7th

hardoil3232 is offline  
Old
03-10-2013, 08:30 PM
  #179
StungbySting
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sarnia
Country: Canada
Posts: 239
vCash: 500
Tonights' loss aginst Guelph was 100% JB's fault...they had a 5 on 3 and were down by 1 on the PP but didn't pull the goalie even though they had posession for 30 seconds...need to split against OS and beat Saginaw to give a 2nd round chance any hope

StungbySting is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:10 AM
  #180
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavy16 View Post
Tonights' loss aginst Guelph was 100% JB's fault...they had a 5 on 3 and were down by 1 on the PP but didn't pull the goalie even though they had posession for 30 seconds...need to split against OS and beat Saginaw to give a 2nd round chance any hope
I disagree. He waited until they had control of the puck when they had the 5 on 3 before he pulled JP. The D-Man should have waited for the 6th skater to get in the zone before shooting.

It was a good game yesterday, a couple of bad bounces, Hore skating the puck into the net for Guelph's 2nd goal. The linesman's bad drop of the puck costing Sarnia on the first Guelph goal. We just didn't get the bounces like we did against London.

The only issue I really had with the game is Park. He may be one of the worst ref's in the league. Good thing we don't see him in Sarnia too often.

I noticed Noah Carroll was at the game. Does anybody have any info on him?

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 11:26 AM
  #181
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I disagree. He waited until they had control of the puck when they had the 5 on 3 before he pulled JP. The D-Man should have waited for the 6th skater to get in the zone before shooting.

It was a good game yesterday, a couple of bad bounces, Hore skating the puck into the net for Guelph's 2nd goal. The linesman's bad drop of the puck costing Sarnia on the first Guelph goal. We just didn't get the bounces like we did against London.

The only issue I really had with the game is Park. He may be one of the worst ref's in the league. Good thing we don't see him in Sarnia too often.

I noticed Noah Carroll was at the game. Does anybody have any info on him?
Agree with post above.Charlie,Reid and Basso were dragging their butts because they were totally exhausted.Park (#10) is the worst official in the OHL. The linesmen were about as bad as could be also.Oh well,we had our chances.

massey is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 12:38 PM
  #182
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Agree with post above.Charlie,Reid and Basso were dragging their butts because they were totally exhausted.Park (#10) is the worst official in the OHL. The linesmen were about as bad as could be also.Oh well,we had our chances.
Was so surprised with the quality of the officials too. From linesman bad call in first period offside that was nowhere near crossing the line to Park only calling retailiation penalties on us...he kept at Latta and then called him on the slash...cheap call.
Speaking of penalties, Nemecek his interference. Will he get more than just that game...Looked like he was trying to time a pass and got there way too early.
Hard hit on unsuspecting person... did the storm ever come back?

dansk55 is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 02:19 PM
  #183
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Was so surprised with the quality of the officials too. From linesman bad call in first period offside that was nowhere near crossing the line to Park only calling retailiation penalties on us...he kept at Latta and then called him on the slash...cheap call.
Speaking of penalties, Nemecek his interference. Will he get more than just that game...Looked like he was trying to time a pass and got there way too early.
Hard hit on unsuspecting person... did the storm ever come back?
I would presume Nemecek would get more but maybe not. Nothing on the OHL website yet. Dont know if the Storm player came back. It appeared to me also that he tried to time a pass but that he mistimed it.There was also a mugging going on in the Storms crease and he failed to call the Storm but got the Sting.

massey is offline  
Old
03-11-2013, 08:44 PM
  #184
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
I disagree. He waited until they had control of the puck when they had the 5 on 3 before he pulled JP. The D-Man should have waited for the 6th skater to get in the zone before shooting.

It was a good game yesterday, a couple of bad bounces, Hore skating the puck into the net for Guelph's 2nd goal. The linesman's bad drop of the puck costing Sarnia on the first Guelph goal. We just didn't get the bounces like we did against London.

The only issue I really had with the game is Park. He may be one of the worst ref's in the league. Good thing we don't see him in Sarnia too often.

I noticed Noah Carroll was at the game. Does anybody have any info on him?
From Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs? I've viewed him several times and he's a very projectable defenseman for the OHL. Makes smart decisions and plays the body well. Solid puck mover. I've talked to a few scouts and most see him as a potential 3rd round selection at the OHL Draft.

I should mention that I've seen JB at several EMC games throughout the game. Obviously JB lives close to EMC (Strathroy) so that may be a factor but I'd bet good money that the team is looking hard at several Chiefs for the upcoming draft. There are certainly a lot of intriguing players from that roster - Konecny (won't fall to Sting), Crouse (ditto), Coyle (an option), Worrad, Mayo, Carroll, and Fazio (G), to name a few.

I am in Toronto for the OHL Cup this week and I will be keeping my eye open for some talent and where the Sting spend most of their time

I remember last year seeing the Sting scouting staff there and watching Alex Renaud have a VERY good tournament

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 08:34 AM
  #185
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
From Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs? I've viewed him several times and he's a very projectable defenseman for the OHL. Makes smart decisions and plays the body well. Solid puck mover. I've talked to a few scouts and most see him as a potential 3rd round selection at the OHL Draft.

I should mention that I've seen JB at several EMC games throughout the game. Obviously JB lives close to EMC (Strathroy) so that may be a factor but I'd bet good money that the team is looking hard at several Chiefs for the upcoming draft. There are certainly a lot of intriguing players from that roster - Konecny (won't fall to Sting), Crouse (ditto), Coyle (an option), Worrad, Mayo, Carroll, and Fazio (G), to name a few.

I am in Toronto for the OHL Cup this week and I will be keeping my eye open for some talent and where the Sting spend most of their time

I remember last year seeing the Sting scouting staff there and watching Alex Renaud have a VERY good tournament
As i understand it, Renaud was not a projected by the OHL rankings as second rounder. How'd that work out? So this kid is a 3 rounder so... our first pick?

dansk55 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 09:33 AM
  #186
dean youngblood82
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,199
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
As i understand it, Renaud was not a projected by the OHL rankings as second rounder. How'd that work out? So this kid is a 3 rounder so... our first pick?
Just because Renaud wasn't projected as a 2nd rounder (and he wasn't) doesn't mean he won't be worthy of it in the long haul. I like Renaud's potential and once he starts seeing more ice time and gaining confidence, you will start to see his potential.

Just for fun....

2009 2nd round picks: Cousins, Trocheck, D. Hamilton, Corrado, Biggs, Binnington
2010 2nd round picks: Tom Wilson, Kosmachuk, Paterson, Michael Clarke
2011 2nd round picks: Dickinson, Mistele, Bigras, Verhaeghe, Di Fruscia

Just remember that Renaud was a late 2nd too (40th). He was great at the OHL Cup last year and I don't think he would've fell to the Sting at the 54th pick (4th) so they grabbed a player they liked.

Carroll is expected to be a 3rd round pick but that doesn't mean a team won't like him enough to select him in the second round. First round seems like a reach but you can't judge these kids until a few years down the road.


There are a few players the Sting are eyeing (I feel) that I think Sarnia should be happy with if they can land them.

dean youngblood82 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 11:23 AM
  #187
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean youngblood82 View Post
From Elgin-Middlesex Chiefs? I've viewed him several times and he's a very projectable defenseman for the OHL. Makes smart decisions and plays the body well. Solid puck mover. I've talked to a few scouts and most see him as a potential 3rd round selection at the OHL Draft.

I should mention that I've seen JB at several EMC games throughout the game. Obviously JB lives close to EMC (Strathroy) so that may be a factor but I'd bet good money that the team is looking hard at several Chiefs for the upcoming draft. There are certainly a lot of intriguing players from that roster - Konecny (won't fall to Sting), Crouse (ditto), Coyle (an option), Worrad, Mayo, Carroll, and Fazio (G), to name a few.

I am in Toronto for the OHL Cup this week and I will be keeping my eye open for some talent and where the Sting spend most of their time

I remember last year seeing the Sting scouting staff there and watching Alex Renaud have a VERY good tournament
Thank You Dean,

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 11:28 AM
  #188
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
As i understand it, Renaud was not a projected by the OHL rankings as second rounder. How'd that work out? So this kid is a 3 rounder so... our first pick?
That is a very negative comment about a 16 yr old. Why don't you wait till he is 18/19 before judging if picking him in the 2nd rd was the right move.

IMO, Renaud reminds me of another player that wears 17. If he can improve his speed, he will be a very effective power forward. In 2 to 3 years, I don't think there will be a D-Man in the league that will want to face him.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
  #189
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
That is a very negative comment about a 16 yr old. Why don't you wait till he is 18/19 before judging if picking him in the 2nd rd was the right move.

IMO, Renaud reminds me of another player that wears 17. If he can improve his speed, he will be a very effective power forward. In 2 to 3 years, I don't think there will be a D-Man in the league that will want to face him.
Boxer et al, perhaps a bit harsh. Just reading the situation, and I haven't seen improvement. Hope you are right will mind my Ps and Qs.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 02:10 PM
  #190
RyanHPscout
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 188
vCash: 500
In reference to Noah Carroll: He's been one of my favorite defensemen in the entire OHL Draft. If the Sting can grab him in the 3rd round I'm confident he would be an excellent pick. There is a chance he doesn't last until the 3rd round however. He's quickly becoming a popular prospect around the league. Excellent hockey sense, steady defensively but smart offensively and already 6'0".

In reference to Alexandre Renaud: I can say we did have him ranked a little lower than where Sarnia took him, but also keep in mind that there are many, many 16 year olds in the OHL who struggle out of the gate but can see a quick improvement in their performance the following year or two when things start clicking for them. Renaud is working hard and the organization is giving him a very fair shot. He will need some time but lets see how he does the next year or two before being too critcal of him. Consistency is the key for Alex's progression.

I was at the game Sunday, the OHL officiating the past 3 months or so in games i've been to has been a drastic improvement compared to the past year or two.. then again I haven't come across any Ryan Carroll games lately. Sunday was a bit.. rough for the officials, but fortunately the ref's have been that much better IMO the last few months making it a little more noticeable on Sunday.

RyanHPscout is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 07:46 AM
  #191
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Straight from Jay and Dan - YOU BLEW IT!!!, Saginaw should not have won that game. Weak effort on defence cost them the goals. That being said, on a good note, that was one of the best games I have seen Moore play. He was great at both ends of the ice.

Hopefully we can beat Owen Sound tonight.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 08:37 AM
  #192
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxerMax View Post
Straight from Jay and Dan - YOU BLEW IT!!!, Saginaw should not have won that game. Weak effort on defence cost them the goals. That being said, on a good note, that was one of the best games I have seen Moore play. He was great at both ends of the ice.

Hopefully we can beat Owen Sound tonight.
I will repeat myself,DeAngelo is a liability on the ice.His chipping in last night causing the 2nd goal.He needs to score 3 goals a night for his defensive blunders.What doesn't he see or coach see when he does this.Up by 1 goal,allow the forwards to play the offence and just play some D.But you have to give credit to Saginaw's goalie Paterson.He put a clinic on last night.Unbelievable performance.If I was London,which there coaching staff was there,I was be very concerned if he plays like that in the playoffs.

massey is offline  
Old
03-15-2013, 09:25 AM
  #193
BoxerMax
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 316
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
I will repeat myself,DeAngelo is a liability on the ice.His chipping in last night causing the 2nd goal.He needs to score 3 goals a night for his defensive blunders.What doesn't he see or coach see when he does this.Up by 1 goal,allow the forwards to play the offence and just play some D.But you have to give credit to Saginaw's goalie Paterson.He put a clinic on last night.Unbelievable performance.If I was London,which there coaching staff was there,I was be very concerned if he plays like that in the playoffs.
Maybe I am the only one out there, but I don't think "Paterson put on a Clinic". He was very good, but we just never finished. We missed the net too often on scoring chances, or just bobbled the puck. I thought that the Sting made Patterson look good last night. We could have easily had 8 goals again on Saginaw, we just failed to finish.

BoxerMax is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 08:09 PM
  #194
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Another strong D performance against Owen Sound tonight.NOT. JP could only do so much.Not much difference in the last games performance.very frustrating to watch.

massey is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 08:22 PM
  #195
RayzorIsDull
Registered User
 
RayzorIsDull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 5,879
vCash: 500
I think Sarnia should be commended for the type of season they had. Not easy to play well and then lose guys like Galchenyuk and Murphy. Unfortunately for Sarnia they will be matched up against the worst possible team for them being Plymouth.

RayzorIsDull is online now  
Old
03-16-2013, 09:01 PM
  #196
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by RayzorIsDull View Post
I think Sarnia should be commended for the type of season they had. Not easy to play well and then lose guys like Galchenyuk and Murphy. Unfortunately for Sarnia they will be matched up against the worst possible team for them being Plymouth.
Yes Plymouth is the worst matchup for Sarnia.I think they will be the team to beat.London fans should be concerned if they get that far.I also think Saginaw could be the sleeper.

massey is offline  
Old
03-16-2013, 09:03 PM
  #197
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Congrats to Nathan Charillitti for his +40 season setting a new record for Owen Sound.The trade that haunted Sarnia all year.

massey is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 08:12 AM
  #198
dansk55
Registered User
 
dansk55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 346
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by massey View Post
Congrats to Nathan Charillitti for his +40 season setting a new record for Owen Sound.The trade that haunted Sarnia all year.
Char...deserves it, the opportunity to play for something bigger. Hind sight is 20-20...another example of Jocko not being able to evaluate talent, and he is the head scout...
So, what are our chances against the whalers... i am think at least 2 wins for us... a bit optimistic, but potential is there, if a few players are packing their bags already.

dansk55 is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:05 AM
  #199
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk55 View Post
Char...deserves it, the opportunity to play for something bigger. Hind sight is 20-20...another example of Jocko not being able to evaluate talent, and he is the head scout...
So, what are our chances against the whalers... i am think at least 2 wins for us... a bit optimistic, but potential is there, if a few players are packing their bags already.
Wow, You are a bit optimistic I think.I say 4 straight if;
1)Plymouth is on their game
2)Our one D man stinks up the arena still,

We do have a chance for a few wins if;
1) D man play some D instead of nothing but offence,
2)JP steals one or 2 games

massey is offline  
Old
03-17-2013, 09:30 AM
  #200
massey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 550
vCash: 500
Year in review

Sarault and Boucher,What can i say exc. season
JP anderson,same exc year,stoled many games for us
Goldobin,Good scorer and play maker,soft on the puck,needs to be aggressive,if cant check at least get in their way.
Latta, starting to get the puck in the net
Moore,finally getting it going,expected more after his preseason start
Hargrave,looking better every game
Carnavale,great skater andchecker,i was hoping better at pucking puck in net,hopefully that will come
Brown,hoping for more goals but is coming along,Plays like he is 6ft 5in on the ice,Fast and tries hard
Nikandrov,has really worked hard and coming together,fast
Renauld,a bit disappointing but hey,just a rookie and hope he progresses
Addesi ,Dipaolo,they know their roles,hoping with more ice time they improve

Defence,
Duinick,one of the hardest working D,great shot,great season
Chapman,eats more pucks and sticks than any D in the league,Not smooth but gets the job done,Great year
Basso,Really came on,hard shot,has learned when to go on the offence and when to back off.good year
Hore,Still young but I hope he gets some muscle on him,pretty good year
Pantziris,not too bad of year,hoping for more next year
Nemecek,dont understand the not being dressed,Needs to skate better,hope he able to get more ice time next year
DeAngelo,Most disappointing player on the Sting this year for me,JP bailed him out so many times,NO defencive abilities at all,Terrible decision making skills,thinks nothing but Offence and is very selfish with the puck,Yes he is good in the offensive zone,fast skater when he wants to be,move him to forward,Yaps and pouts way too much,I know he is still young but he has habits that will be hard to break,Best 3 games all year came after he was benched,

Overall I am happy with the Sting season in spite of loosing Gali and Murphy.They played overall pretty good and was entertaining to watch.

massey is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:23 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.