Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bruins @ Ottawa - Bruins win 3 - 2!!! S/O

Old
03-12-2013, 08:38 AM
jokerboysmith

vCash: 500
Nice come back victory against a division rival.
Good to see Thornton net one...

jokerboysmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:43 AM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
If he scored it would be a totally different story. It would have worked, and there really wouldn't be anything else to say.

If you're going to try something like that in that scenario, you better be damn sure that you're going to make it...or be prepared for the ridicule and scorn. Great save by Tuukka or not, he was stuffed. If he made it, it's Top 10 material...he didn't so it's Not Top 10 material.

I don't care that he tried it. I'm not pissed about it. He tried something out of the box and he missed...my team got the extra point against a division foe and he looks like a clown. What's there to be mad about?
No idea. Seems like quite a few people here are cheesed off about it. /shrug

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:51 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

i for one hope players start doing more and more rediculous attempts @ shootouts. The shootout sucks, and should be treated like a joke.

With all that said, damn Tuukka, nice toe save

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:54 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
i for one hope players start doing more and more rediculous attempts @ shootouts. The shootout sucks, and should be treated like a joke.

With all that said, damn Tuukka, nice toe save
Exactly, and I think you're seeing that now. Players coming down in slow motion. This guy last night. It's absurd. Just end the stupid thing because it's a travesty.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:55 AM
Dwatson783
@dwatson783

Quote:
So, as a Bruins fan, I'm supposed to applaud it?

I applaud that Tuukka made the save, and I applaud that it didn't work. I think it was a clown thing to do, and fully admit my opinion of it would change had the shot gone in.

Again, I'm not complaining....I just think it looked dumb, and that's because he missed.
Like I said, meh

You can do whatever you want to it- applaud, laugh, shake your head, dance- I mean it's entertainment for you to watch and react to however you see fit.

I'm sorry to go into semantics but the one word I just don't like of yours is that he 'missed'. He didn't score but he didn't miss with the shot. It was saved- Tuukka did a great job making it. I was highly entertained by the attempts of both participants on that play.

Now @Salem, that's something I'll agree with and I think the league should come out and set a stance on. I think there's a number of gimmicky type of items with shootouts and with momentum/direction of movement that should be reviewed. If they want to say this type of play is legal in the shootout then fine, I honestly don't care- but I think that it should be clarified.

Overall, the shootout itself is somewhat gimmicky and is there for pure entertainment value. The league couldn't keep going with tie games after the lock out, it just wasn't exciting and people were asking for it. If they want to let shots like that go then go for it. Just as long as we never have playoffs decided by shootouts, I'm fine with it (but please let's not get into the talk about the deciding points of this then having an impact on teams getting in because I think it's a bit too far to go with this one...)

Dwatson783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Mike Yeos Eyebrows
The O'Reilly Rule

Quote:
So, as a Bruins fan, I'm supposed to applaud it?

I applaud that Tuukka made the save, and I applaud that it didn't work. I think it was a clown thing to do, and fully admit my opinion of it would change had the shot gone in.

Again, I'm not complaining....I just think it looked dumb, and that's because he missed.
If a Bruin did a move like that and won the game with it, I'd be going nuts in a good way.

You can't really blame the guy for trying it because it almost worked. It's not like Alfredsson, who wasn't even close.

Mike Yeos Eyebrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:59 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
Exactly, and I think you're seeing that now. Players coming down in slow motion. This guy last night. It's absurd. Just end the stupid thing because it's a travesty.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Send a message via AIM to Morris Wanchuk
I agree.

The shootout is a joke, all star game like sideshow, might as well make it look like one.

Morris Wanchuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:06 AM
bruinmann77

Time to end the shootout i agree rather see them play 3-3

Last edited by bruinmann77: 03-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
bruinmann77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:07 AM
Sevren

I'll take a shootout over a tie anyday.

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
SerenityRick

I really think the "spin-o-rama" move should be banned in general from the shoot out.. not so much the move itself but being able to take the puck backwards.

I know it's limited to "forward momentum" but when you blatantly stop skating forward to turn your body, you start moving the puck backwards in order to pull off the move, I feel as though THAT should be illegal.

look at this awful picture I whipped up:

This represents a spin-o-rama move and where the puck is at all times.. the red part of the line is when the puck actually starts going BACK towards center ice before the shooter brings it back towards the goal, usually to stuff it near the far post.

Maybe it's just me.. but when you bring the puck back like that, that should be whistled down.

Of course maybe it's just another move goalies have to get used to. It was a great stop by Rask last night but I feel like more often than not, that's an automatic goal. But then again, maybe it's harder to pull of than it looks otherwise most shooters would attempt it?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:17 AM
the overrated
wicked overrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
Personally, I disagree. If a game is good & exciting, I don't walk out disappointed about it ending in a tie. It's disappointing to have the B's not win, but it's not like I feel like the ending is anticlimactic just because it ended in a draw. And honestly some of the luster of wining is lost when it happens because of a skills competition instead of being the result of actual, team-based hockey.

the overrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:20 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post
Canadians play basketball?!?!?!

Just kidding. No, really.
Hey! The consensus #1 prospect from high school is a Canadian! Andrew Wiggums!

(I know, we're actually shocked too).

ChocolateLeclaire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortonHearsAWoo View Post
If a Bruin did a move like that and won the game with it, I'd be going nuts in a good way.

You can't really blame the guy for trying it because it almost worked. It's not like Alfredsson, who wasn't even close.
Absolutely.

But if he missed (ahem, didn't score ) and the Bruins lost the game on the next shot attempt, would you still think it was good try, good effort?

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
22Brad Park

No issues with me over that shootout attempt.The ones i think need to be stopped are ones like Patrick Cane takes where he not skating at all.They are the attempts that have no place in a shootout.Feet need to be movn .He cheats.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

And to those saying the shootout is dumb and should be treated like the gimick it is...that's ********.

The shootout is dumb. I hate it. But it's part of the game now, and excelling at it can make a difference in the standings. To treat it like a gimmick and not take it seriously would put your team at a disadvantage. There are other ways to voice displeasure at it, but to do that at the expense of points is foolish.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 AM
22Brad Park

Quote:
Not me.I think alot team s benefit form shootouts.Them ties could drop a team down in standings .Instead a team like say Pittsburgh loaded with skilled forwards pickup extra pts that they have no buisness getting.That is just an example,I never actually checked their shootout record but i could if needed. .And not sure you can remember or if your old enough.Do you remember the excitement when New Jersey Devils John Maclean scored ,needing a Devils win in regulation to make playoffs for first time? Things like that are taken out of the game now.They had to press all out to try win that game in regulation.It was exciting.

22Brad Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:41 AM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I really think the "spin-o-rama" move should be banned in general from the shoot out.
As a goalie who used to play at a high level but now plays just for fun in beer leagues for both ice and dek hockey, I absolutely hate the spin-o-rama. I find that it is the toughest move to stop because it allows a player to commit to one side and then suddenly pull back and move the puck to the other side. As a goalie you want to let the shooter make the first move but at some point you have to commit as well. If the shooter does not go for the wrist shot, then you have to follow him but should never go down and commit until you think the player is going to one side and has no more room to come back to the other side. To make things worse, the spin-o-rama usually happens at least partly in the blue paint and it isn't rare that there is contact between the shooter and goalie so it's borderline goalie interference. I'm amazed everytime a goalie makes a save on a spin-o-rama like Rask did yesterday because it shows incredible focus and athletic abilities.

In other words, I agree with you. Ban this move from the shootout

Old
03-12-2013, 09:44 AM
SerenityRick

Quote:
Absolutely.

But if he missed (ahem, didn't score ) and the Bruins lost the game on the next shot attempt, would you still think it was good try, good effort?
If it happened exactly the way it did last night.. yeah.

The only reason why that didn't go in was because Rask is athletic as hell when it comes to covering the bottom portion of the net. There aren't many goalies in the league that would have been able to recover after seeing the spin and get their skate alllll the way over to the opposite post. It was a fantastic save.

Now.. had Doggy vans had the puck come off his stick it would be a different story. But he executed the move perfectly upon multiple views of the attempt. Got Rask going one way, spun and put the puck right at the far post. Rask was just better. Which happens on any attempt. I'd much rather an attempt like that than Silfversberg's where he didn't even get it on net.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Spooner st

Quote:
And twice on Sunday.

Spooner st is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:47 AM
Morris Wanchuk

Quote:
How did you ever survive playing hockey growing up.. with all those ties.

But seriously, for all those who say ties are horrible, etc. How did you handle it growing up?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:49 AM
Morris Wanchuk

I do feel that there is more to the shootout than just appealing to the casual fan.

The NHL knew that the cap wold bring Parity and with that more ties. I wouldn't have been surprised had there been no shootout, teams would have had 20+ ties in a season which is foolish looking.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:51 AM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Personally, I disagree. If a game is good & exciting, I don't walk out disappointed about it ending in a tie. It's disappointing to have the B's not win, but it's not like I feel like the ending is anticlimactic just because it ended in a draw. And honestly some of the luster of wining is lost when it happens because of a skills competition instead of being the result of actual, team-based hockey.
I respect your opinion and was not a fan of the idea when it was first introduced. I still have a hard time saying a team "lost" a game after losing in the shootout. But I also remember how disappointing it is when a game ends in a tie. In a perfect world they would play overtime until one team wins, but as we all know it's not possible. The shootout is sort of a gimmick but it's entertaining for a lot fans, and I bet the players like it as well. It's been around for a while now so teams have had enough time to practice shootout attempts and make it a part of their game.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:55 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
And to those saying the shootout is dumb and should be treated like the gimick it is...that's ********.

The shootout is dumb. I hate it. But it's part of the game now, and excelling at it can make a difference in the standings. To treat it like a gimmick and not take it seriously would put your team at a disadvantage. There are other ways to voice displeasure at it, but to do that at the expense of points is foolish.
Its not ********.

You can try and score and still do stupid **** in the attempt. That move last night was so ****ed up but it almost worked if it wasn't for an awesome save, had it gone in it would of been embarrassing as all hell.

Kaspars Daugavins WAS trying to score last night. He WAS taking it seriously. People are trying the "forsberg" and it works, but its one that when it fails it looks horrible. Who was closer to scoring last night. Seguin or Daugavins?

Daugavins attempt was silly looking, and people should be rolling their eyes at it. But if thats the direction the NHL wants to take they should be prepared for hockey games imitating the all star game.

As far as the "tie" argument, change the overtime rules to accommodate the game ending during a team vs team atmosphere.

Last edited by CamFan81: 03-12-2013 at 10:06 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I agree. I don't see the big deal. Players can and should do whatever they can within the rules to score for their team..

A lot of people are pissed here for the ATTEMPT.. can you imagine how bad this place would be if he had scored?
I thought it was great. This is the entertainment industry. I was entertained. It also got some play on TV that normally wouldn't give the NHL any exposure.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote