HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

It's Time to Tank: Who Gets Moved

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 07:59 PM
Lola
Future Panthers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherfan12 View Post
I'm not saying the entire team will be traded, were talking about Steeg and Flash.
You know, I don't like the idea of trading Versteeg and Flash. It's an "off season". Steeg's been injured for the majority of it.

We've played this game of trading for the sake of making a trade and having no real return in our favor. It's led to a decade of below-average play.

Our problem is not the forwards. Our problem is defense.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:01 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
I'm not saying the entire team will be traded, were talking about Steeg and Flash.
No one is going to hold it against the team for trading those guys.

03-11-2013, 08:02 PM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola View Post
You know, I don't like the idea of trading Versteeg and Flash. It's an "off season". Steeg's been injured for the majority of it.

We've played this game of trading for the sake of making a trade and having no real return in our favor. It's led to a decade of below-average play.

Our problem is not the forwards. Our problem is defense.
Our problem includes nearly everyone over the age of 20 at this point.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:03 PM
imayagainknowanson
Jailbait

Carolina would love to add Jerred Smithson. For what? 4th round pick?

Old
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

i wouldn't trade flash or versteeg. they are vital pieces to the bridge to the kids.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:40 PM
coopdaloop123
HFB Partner

I have no problem if they trade Steeg and Flash for decent parts. We have a lot of good offensive guys coming up....need some defense though. Matheson won't be ready for 2-3 years

Old
03-11-2013, 09:53 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 200
Goc available?

Hawks are pathetic at faceoffs and could use a solid vet bottom 6 C at this point

Old
03-11-2013, 10:07 PM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Goc available?

Hawks are pathetic at faceoffs and could use a solid vet bottom 6 C at this point
I'm sure he is, especially with the way Matthias has been playing.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:08 AM
Erick

-Trade Flash for a 1st + 3rd
-Trade Versteeg for a 2nd
-Trade Goc + 2nd to Ottawa for Ben Bishop
-Trade Kuba for a 5th

In the offseason, trade Kulikov to Colorado for ROR. Use the amnesty on Upshall and Clemmer.

Draft Seth Jones.

Sign Ryan Clowe (having a bad year. Gonna make him cheaper. Big body, good track record). Sign Michael Handzus.

Lineup next year
Huby-ROR-Mueller
Bergenheim-Shore-Clowe
Howden-Matthias-Kopecky
Rheault-Handzus-Skille

Soupy-Weaver
Jones-Gudbranson
Petrovic-Robak/Strachan (or Jovo if he doesn't retire...)

Markstrom/Bishop

Old
03-12-2013, 04:55 AM
HockeyRulez
Welcome back Lu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick View Post
-Trade Kuba for a 5th

In the offseason, trade Kulikov to Colorado for ROR. Use the amnesty on Upshall and Clemmer.

Draft Seth Jones.

Sign Ryan Clowe (having a bad year. Gonna make him cheaper. Big body, good track record). Sign Michael Handzus.

Lineup next year
Huby-ROR-Mueller
Bergenheim-Shore-Clowe
Howden-Matthias-Kopecky
Rheault-Handzus-Skille

Soupy-Weaver
Jones-Gudbranson

Markstrom/Bishop
1) I think if Tallon could've traded Kuli for ROR, he would've done it a while ago

2) Weaver is UFA

3) I dont see why we should draft Jones over Mackinnon and Drouin

4) Jones and Petrovic both have right-handed shots if im not mistaken

Old
03-12-2013, 07:15 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
What you specifically said just a few posts ago was that "Most of the players on our team can be replaced in free agency. They are not that unique. We did it once, we can do it again."

That made it sound like you want to replace most of our team. If you're thinking of trading away a few players, that's fine and normal for a team that isn't going to make the playoffs.

You also have to remember that two years ago, it was Tallon's first year here, there was a lot of optimism surrounding the team and a lot of buzz. That buzz is now gone and has moved on, so it may not be as easy as you think to replicate our success in signing free agents. Remember that before that frenzy two years ago, we had been abysmal in attracting talent.
What I meant when I said 'most of the players on our team can be replaced in free agency, they're not that unique' is that most of them CAN be replaced, that's true, but I'm not advocating trading the entire team. It wouldn't work anyway, you need some bodies to finish out the year. You are not going to get the deal you want for everybody. Put a bunch of guys on the market, see what you can get, and then trade a few guys.

Quote:

It is a business, and unfortunately it would be a bad business decision.
The way I see it is that we go and trade for Steeg. Then we resign him the following year as he states he's excited to be here as he know how Tallon works and wants Fla to be his home,as well as Tallon states he loves Steeg and wants to build around him. Then the following year we trade Steeg for a draft pick that'll end up being 20-30 range and a prospect that may or may not crack the NHL lineup. We go from having a player, who last season was a 1st line player, to having a draft pick and prospect.

Pretty much you're telling other FA that while we have no state tax and beaches and Canadians in speedos to bring them to our team, if the team has a bad year, you're gone! Even if you have a good year, Tallon will trade you because the team did poorly and we need to " build for the future"

If we trade Steeg and Flash and the Weiss walks, our 1st line will be ???????????? Still waiting.. The youth line? Kopecky? Matthias? Last season was a "fluke" yet getting rid of two thirds of our top line last season, who was at one point the best top line in the league, is part of the blueprint? We sign Jovo to an over bloated contract,who should be traded, yet well trade Steeg because??? He's available? Other free agents will see that as a turnstile for the team and not want to be a part of it.
Steeg has played like an idiot since halfway through last season. It's his fault that he's on the market now, his and his alone. We should keep him around just because we might be afraid it might scare away potential FA's? Tallon is charged with the welfare of the team, and he's going to do what he thinks is best for the future of the team. Yes, if you play like garbage, you should expect to be traded, I think any FA understands that.

Anyone who's traded will be replaced. I can't fathom how people are worried that we won't be able to replace the spectacular Versteeg and Fleischmann. Come on. We're not talking about Gretzky and Coffey in the 80's here.

Quote:
-Trade Kuba for a 5th

Draft Seth Jones.

Lineup next year
Huby-ROR-Mueller
Bergenheim-Shore-Clowe
Howden-Matthias-Kopecky
Rheault-Handzus-Skille

Soupy-Weaver
Jones-Gudbranson

Markstrom/Bishop
ROR can't be traded until February.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:19 AM
dannyboy8920

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyRulez View Post
1) I think if Tallon could've traded Kuli for ROR, he would've done it a while ago
And the fact ROR cannot be traded for a entire calendar year. as per the Offer Sheet regulations.

EDIT: Beat to it...didn't read above.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:24 AM
Markstrom Rules
Great Finnish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanHuberdoh View Post
http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...almost-anybody

Take this article for what it's worth, but it's more info on who we are moving....
Darren Dreger said tonight that everyone is available except for the young guys.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:50 AM
Ghoste
Vigo the Carpathian

vCash: 835
Eklund was even saying Campbell might be moved also. I think it'll be one of those instances where it looks like a firesale will happen, but then we'll all be dumbfounded when there's little activity.

-ghoste

Old
03-12-2013, 09:03 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
-Trade Kuba for a 5th

Draft Seth Jones.

Lineup next year
Huby-ROR-Mueller
Bergenheim-Shore-Clowe
Howden-Matthias-Kopecky
Rheault-Handzus-Skille

Soupy-Weaver
Jones-Gudbranson

Markstrom/Bishop
As stated already, ROR cannot be traded until next year, so that is out of the question. and as Rulez said, if a trade were to happen for Kulikov, it would have happened already. Also, I think its pretty likely that Bjugstad is with the team next season. I do agree that the team needs to add a center either via trade or UFA signing, but if there is nothing out there, then Id like to see them go with Shore, Goc, Bjugstad down the middle. If we were to get a Drouin or Mac in the draft, then I would just go with all youth next year. Id go with:

Huberdeau - Shore - Mueller
Howden - Bjugstad - Mac/Drouin
Bergenheim - Goc - Kopecky
Skille - Matthias - Parros

I know its a lot of pressure for the top two lines, but no doubt there is quite a bit of talent there, probably more so than we have ever had on our two top lines. Unless Tallon is going to make a move for a legit top line center, I think its time that we start the transition of bringing in our top prospects.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
i wouldn't trade flash or versteeg. they are vital pieces to the bridge to the kids.
100% fans just want a quick change and want playoffs to happen immediately. Keep these guys and let the farm grow. Tallon needs to make smart trades / acquisitions.

I would go for players like Dubinsky, Jones, ect ect - players that have passion and grit to their game.

Think about it, if you were a GM who would you trade flash or versteeg for? More picks? seriously? we have alot of good quality players in the depth chart. I think it would be a good time to trade our 2nd for some support and play it smart.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:24 AM
ursavolta

Quote:
-Trade Kuba for a 5th

Draft Seth Jones.

Lineup next year
Huby-ROR-Mueller
Bergenheim-Shore-Clowe
Howden-Matthias-Kopecky
Rheault-Handzus-Skille

Soupy-Weaver
Jones-Gudbranson

Markstrom/Bishop
Horrible dlines, you have 4 rookies who havent played more then 100 games, absolutely horrible. The main reason we have been losing our games is because of lackluster d and goaltending. Instead of trading Kulikov trade a couple of picks, goc and a prospect for dubinsky or someone else that can take the first line pairing. Half of those trades will not work.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:
-Trade Kuba for a 5th

Draft Seth Jones.

Lineup next year
Huby-ROR-Mueller
Bergenheim-Shore-Clowe
Howden-Matthias-Kopecky
Rheault-Handzus-Skille

Soupy-Weaver
Jones-Gudbranson

Markstrom/Bishop
-We're not getting ROR
-I like the Clowe / Handzus signings
-Something tells me we're going to regret passing on Drouin / Mac
-Too much inexperience in that lineup to expect to make the playoffs

Old
03-12-2013, 09:36 AM
jakethesnake23

I absoulutely do not want to get rid of Fleishman. He is still the most skilled (even ahead of Hubs) player on the team. Versteeg is a bum, couldnt care less what happens to him. I feel like Bjugstad will be on the team next year. Hopefully Bergeinhiem too.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:56 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post
I absoulutely do not want to get rid of Fleishman. He is still the most skilled (even ahead of Hubs) player on the team. Versteeg is a bum, couldnt care less what happens to him. I feel like Bjugstad will be on the team next year. Hopefully Bergeinhiem too.
Bjugstad said that he wants to win a national title. His future could depend on how UMinnesota does this year in the playoffs. They could win it all. That's gonna weigh on his decision to turn pro.

I like Flesichmann and his contributions. He's not scoring this season but at least he's contributing to the offense. Wouldn't mind losing Versteeg. Signing Clowe and Handzus would be two positive additions.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:57 AM
RainingRats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghoste View Post
Eklund was even saying Campbell might be moved also. I think it'll be one of those instances where it looks like a firesale will happen, but then we'll all be dumbfounded when there's little activity.

-ghoste
Campbell was excellent last year and has a NTC. I don't see him being moved at all, especially not at the deadline.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
RainingRats

I'd be hesitant to trade Flash because he's a legit top 6 player. He can give us offense which we always are in need of.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:02 AM
RainingRats

Too much hype for Bjugstad, imo. I think he has a decent chance of making the team but he's not going to be the #1 center. IF he is, we're screwed.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:04 AM
RainingRats

I'd move Versteeg, Skille, Smithson, Parros, and Goc. There is some value there in Goc and potentially Versteeg. Let Matthias take over the third line center role. Skille stinks, move him for a more a physical bottom line grinder. Parros is unnecessary, move him for a more physical bottom line grinder. Smithson is easily replaceable.

As far as D, I'd move Kuba and keep everyone else. If Kulikov gets moved it will be at the draft. His value is too high to limit it to a deadline deal.

We need to have some vets so the rookies and younger guys play behind them and don't have to face top pairings and best lines. If we lead with rookies we will fail.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:44 AM
Don Tibbles
Nothing to see here

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingRats View Post
Too much hype for Bjugstad, imo. I think he has a decent chance of making the team but he's not going to be the #1 center. IF he is, we're screwed.
They need to handle Bjugstad right. I agree, rushing him would be giving him a number one center role right off the bat. They need to treat him just like Shore.

Assuming Nick leaves school.. Get a look at him in training camp and keep him in the lineup for the preseason. See how he does. If earns it, he earns it. If not, send him to SA and let me develop.

Closed Thread