Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Texas Stars (AHL) Discussion ‎IV

Closed Thread

Old
03-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Bluesoma

vCash: 500
He almost had 3. Texas' power play looks good for once.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:27 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
My feed just skipped .... Glennie got dragged down at the D blue line ... should have been a penalty ... then all of a sudden Glennie was chasing a guy to the net and SA scored to tie it.

Old
03-08-2013, 09:31 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
My feed just skipped .... Glennie got dragged down at the D blue line ... should have been a penalty ... then all of a sudden Glennie was chasing a guy to the net and SA scored to tie it.
Same, major WTF moment.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:20 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Long as hell shootout.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
03-08-2013, 10:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
How the hell has Austin Smith not made the Texas roster with all the injures and call ups?

Old
03-08-2013, 10:23 PM
Bluesoma

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
How the hell has Austin Smith not made the Texas roster with all the injures and call ups?
He's been given like 3 or 4 chances, never showed anything. All the other kids brought up have shown more.

I have a feeling by giving Jones #9 that pretty much signals the end of Austin Smith in Texas this season.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:55 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Game never should have made it to a shootout. Refs really screwed the pooch on some really blatant calls. Nilstorp also wasn't very good. I hope they give Campbell most starts...

Last edited by Elysian: 03-08-2013 at 11:04 PM.
Old
03-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

By the way, there were at least 3-4 very loud and long "Refs you suck" chants last night even one after an icing call that we touched first.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:14 AM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
By the way, there were at least 3-4 very loud and long "Refs you suck" chants last night even one after an icing call that we touched first.
I was laughing my ass off, especially when I look over down the row in the section next to me and see a group of kids with a girl who was probably 8 or 9 leading that chant for her group with her little fist in the air.

There were a few calls last night that the refs should've made; they were as blatant as the piledriver on Benn during the LA game. The players couldn't keep the puck on their sticks and handle the passes, defense looked bad, and Nilstorp didn't make the big saves when they needed them.

What puzzles me is their choices with puck movement. They didn't do much d to d passing even when the lane was open, instead they would spin in a circle and hold it at the line until 2 Rampage players closed on them and they turned it over, or they would pass it right into traffic to a Rampage player every time.

But my gf had a good time and though I'm still not sure she'll become a hockey fan, it's good to know we can at least go to more games in the future and she won't be bored.

Old
03-09-2013, 09:40 AM
Elysian
@AdamBath

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampbellBetterBeGOD View Post
I was laughing my ass off, especially when I look over down the row in the section next to me and see a group of kids with a girl who was probably 8 or 9 leading that chant for her group with her little fist in the air.

There were a few calls last night that the refs should've made; they were as blatant as the piledriver on Benn during the LA game. The players couldn't keep the puck on their sticks and handle the passes, defense looked bad, and Nilstorp didn't make the big saves when they needed them.

What puzzles me is their choices with puck movement. They didn't do much d to d passing even when the lane was open, instead they would spin in a circle and hold it at the line until 2 Rampage players closed on them and they turned it over, or they would pass it right into traffic to a Rampage player every time.

But my gf had a good time and though I'm still not sure she'll become a hockey fan, it's good to know we can at least go to more games in the future and she won't be bored.
My girlfriend kept complaining about how she missed Eakin and Reilly Smith

Old
03-09-2013, 05:13 PM
Dominic Roussel
Tank Mode: Fail

vCash: 1951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
My girlfriend kept complaining about how she missed Eakin and Reilly Smith
I kept wishing they were there too, I was just astonished at how bad the puck movement was. Though I kept thinking....at least the defense looks the same at the AHL level as it does at the NHL level, lol.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:30 AM
BigG44

Winkler could be done with his season as soon as this next weekend so he could join Texas on a PTO in the next 7 to 10 days.

A name we haven't talked about is Alex Guptill. If I was making the call right now, I'd say he returns to Michigan for his junior season. That said, he's 3 years from his draft date like Reilly Smith and Alex Chiasson when they signed. The only difference is Guptill played a year in the USHL after the draft before going to the NCAA. He had a slow start to the season, and apparently some attitude problems, but in 7 fewer games he's matched his assist total from last year and he's 4 goals short of matching that total. He has at least 2 or 3 games in a 3 game series this weekend to try and improve on those numbers. If Michigan loses though, his season is over. I assume Dallas would prefer he remain in Michigan to try and have an even better junior season, but you have to wonder if his struggles this year might make him personally choose to go pro.

Old
03-11-2013, 10:52 AM
BigG44

Pretty surprised by this:

Quote:
Texas Stars Hockey ‏@TexasStars

The @TexasStars have released RW Doug Jones from a PTO. Full story: http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...jones-from-pto … #txstars
Jones has looked really good. He even earned PP time from Desjardins. That said, this is probably a great sign that people are coming back from injury and probably call up in Fraser's case.

If Whitney and Morrow are both ready (and they are both practicing right now), that would open the door for Fraser's return. Hopefully Dowling and Gazdic are close as to healthy as well.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:52 PM
BigG44

Surprised this wasn't announced earlier with the other cut:

Quote:
Texas Stars Hockey ‏@TexasStars

@DallasStars announce that defenseman Jacob Johnston has been released from his amateur tryout contract. http://www.texasstarshockey.com/arti...nston-from-ato … #txstars
Fortunus and Sloan came back last week and pushed him out.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:23 AM
Bluesoma

Mildly surprised by the Jones drop too but hopefully means Dowling is back.

I think Gazdic said he still has a couple more weeks on his hand.

It'd be awesome to start seeing some of the draftees get signed to ATOs and see them play. Sort of a preview to what may come next season.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:24 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Mildly surprised by the Jones drop too but hopefully means Dowling is back.

I think Gazdic said he still has a couple more weeks on his hand.

It'd be awesome to start seeing some of the draftees get signed to ATOs and see them play. Sort of a preview to what may come next season.
According to Mark's weekly report today, only Gazdic and Nemeth remain on the injured list.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:50 AM
Dallasman

Quote:
Winkler could be done with his season as soon as this next weekend so he could join Texas on a PTO in the next 7 to 10 days.

A name we haven't talked about is Alex Guptill. If I was making the call right now, I'd say he returns to Michigan for his junior season. That said, he's 3 years from his draft date like Reilly Smith and Alex Chiasson when they signed. The only difference is Guptill played a year in the USHL after the draft before going to the NCAA. He had a slow start to the season, and apparently some attitude problems, but in 7 fewer games he's matched his assist total from last year and he's 4 goals short of matching that total. He has at least 2 or 3 games in a 3 game series this weekend to try and improve on those numbers. If Michigan loses though, his season is over. I assume Dallas would prefer he remain in Michigan to try and have an even better junior season, but you have to wonder if his struggles this year might make him personally choose to go pro.
I think Winkler and Guptil stay another year in college.
Guptil because he's only been there for two years and this is the first year Winkler has really received a lot of playing time. They may want to keep him there so he can take another year to develop.

Unless you know something else, that's my speculation.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:03 AM
Mike Farkas
Hockey's Future Staff
Moron!

Unless Scott Winkler is Van Wilder, I don't think he's staying in school another year...

Old
03-12-2013, 10:15 AM
Bluesoma

Quote:
According to Mark's weekly report today, only Gazdic and Nemeth remain on the injured list.
Man, I even read that today. That's what I get for skimming

Old
03-12-2013, 12:07 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallasman View Post
I think Winkler and Guptil stay another year in college.
Guptil because he's only been there for two years and this is the first year Winkler has really received a lot of playing time. They may want to keep him there so he can take another year to develop.

Unless you know something else, that's my speculation.
Yeah like Mike alluded at, Scott Winkler is a senior this season. He's either going pro or leaving hockey, and I don't know the guy personally, but he's fought through what appears to have been some significant and nagging injuries to get to the point he's having a nice senior year. Even if it's just a PTO with Texas instead of an ELC with Dallas, I think the organization wants him to spend some time with the guys.

On Guptill, like I mentioned I agree he stays. Just wanted to point out he is 3 years from his draft so it wouldn't be out of no where for him to go pro.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:09 PM
BigG44

Dowling confirms he's back tonight. He'll play wit Hedden and Chiasson.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:16 PM
Bluesoma

Yay! Now if only Nemeth and Gazdic can get healthy...especially Nemeth.

Looking forward to tonight, always fun to see a team that isn't San Antonio/Houston/OKC.

Also helps that Abbotsford doesn't have their two awesome goalies from earlier in the season.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:29 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesoma View Post
Yay! Now if only Nemeth and Gazdic can get healthy...especially Nemeth.

Looking forward to tonight, always fun to see a team that isn't San Antonio/Houston/OKC.

Also helps that Abbotsford doesn't have their two awesome goalies from earlier in the season.
I can't even begin to try and come up with a Bottom 6 for the team. We know the Top 6 should return to normal:

Fraser-Morin-Sceviour
Hedden-Dowling-Chiasson

The candidates for the Bottom 6: Cameron, Fyten, Glennie, Petersen, Tousignant, Vause, Wandell, and Wathier

If I had to guess:

Wathier-Wandell-Glennie
Petersen-Vause-Cameron

Old
03-13-2013, 01:31 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Wandell has already been thrown to the Bottom 6 in the A?

Old
03-13-2013, 01:47 PM
Bluesoma

Sounds about right BigG. I believe Petersen-Vause-Cameron has been a oft-used line. Though lately I believe they're thrown Hedden on that line.

I wouldn't be surprised if Wathier, Wandell, or Glennie play with Dowling-Chiasson.

Closed Thread