HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk 5.0

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 12:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
If the draft were today:

CGY pick - 35th
NSH pick - 41st
DAL pick - 74th (1 spot later than their standings ranking because WPG is getting a compensation 2nd)
That's awesome, the only thing that sucks is that we are picking at 30

Old
03-11-2013, 12:25 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
In the first it would be nice to pick up Hagg, Duclair or Carrier. One of those guys would be awesome in our prospect pool. And then one of Dauphin, Poirier, Ryan Kujawinski or Artturi Lehkonen could be had with our multiple seconds.

Old
03-11-2013, 12:32 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

vCash: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
In the first it would be nice to pick up Hagg, Duclair or Carrier. One of those guys would be awesome in our prospect pool. And then one of Dauphin, Poirier, Ryan Kujawinski or Artturi Lehkonen could be had with our multiple seconds.
I think we'll be able to wait for the 2nd round to get Duclair or Carrier though. I'd take Poirier ahead of both. Ideally, they are all available for the CGY pick.

Carrier hasn't played since mid-December and his team has only 3 games left as they won't make the playoffs. His stock could plummet on draft day as a result.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:00 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
I have a feeling Gauthier maybe there in 2nd round. He was once 1.3ppg, now he is less than point a game

Old
03-11-2013, 04:15 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats86 View Post
I have a feeling Gauthier maybe there in 2nd round. He was once 1.3ppg, now he is less than point a game
I highly doubt he is not chosen in top-20. Scouts don't based their judgment over box scores...

Old
03-11-2013, 04:32 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
No chance of that. He won't reach #20. A 6'5" center with skill and strong 2 way play, no way he slides more than 4-5 spots. I could see the Habs using a 2nd or 3rd to trade up if he slides past 15-16.

Part of his numbers dropping is the fact that he is a rookie in the QMJHL, unlike most draft eligibles. The lengthy schedule is an adjustment.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:38 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey Price View Post
No chance of that. He won't reach #20. A 6'5" center with skill and strong 2 way play, no way he slides more than 4-5 spots. I could see the Habs using a 2nd or 3rd to trade up if he slides past 15-16.

Part of his numbers dropping is the fact that he is a rookie in the QMJHL, unlike most draft eligibles. The lengthy schedule is an adjustment.
Yup. + nagging injuries. And if the goal is to discredit Gauthier's first round credentials through some bad box score scouting, allow me to play the game and use a player who went second overall in his draft and to whom Gauthier is frequently compared. In his draft year, Jordan Staal had a 1.00 ppg average. And that was his second full CHL season, not his first as in Gauthier's case...

Old
03-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:

Or maybe he's just been bad the last couples of weeks. Why try and make excuses ? He hasnt been good, now will this cost him spots in the draft? In don't know. Is it possible for him to fall to the second round ? I don't think so. Is it possible for him to fall to the late 20's ? Yes it is. Collberg was supposed to go high 10's last draft. TT was a probable top 5 pick, Grigorenko.... Beaulieu.

Players fall, and Gauthier could fall. I would never trade a pick for him though. He's highly regarded because of his size. Take that away and he's in the same class of other 2-way players that will go late 20's.

Old
03-11-2013, 04:59 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrb1p View Post
Or maybe he's just been bad the last couples of weeks. Why try and make excuses ? He hasnt been good, now will this cost him spots in the draft? In don't know. Is it possible for him to fall to the second round ? I don't think so. Is it possible for him to fall to the late 20's ? Yes it is. Collberg was supposed to go high 10's last draft. TT was a probable top 5 pick, Grigorenko.... Beaulieu.

Players fall, and Gauthier could fall. I would never trade a pick for him though. He's highly regarded because of his size. Take that away and he's in the same class of other 2-way players that will go late 20's.
It's not an excuse it's a fact. Rookies in major junior often hit a wall in Feb-March due to having been playing hockey for 6 months and being used to 5-6 month MAAA/prep school/etc seasons.

You look at Jordan Staal and that's Gauthier's potential, maybe more(offensively). having a few bad games sudden't doesn't drop your potential.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:03 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
It's not an excuse it's a fact. Rookies in major junior often hit a wall in Feb-March due to having been playing hockey for 6 months and being used to 5-6 month MAAA/prep school/etc seasons.

You look at Jordan Staal and that's Gauthier's potential, maybe more(offensively). having a few bad games sudden't doesn't drop your potential.
A few ? He's been on and off for weeks. That's what drop your potential.

If Gauthier goes top 20, this draft is shallow.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:06 PM
kojiro

Is there any chance Adam Chapman gets drafted this summer? I've always been intrigued about the guy, his career is kind of similar to that of David Clarkson, he does play a similar type of game too.Could he be a good late round pick for us? Along with his teammate Poirier in the second round perhaps .

Old
03-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Mrb1p
PRICERSTOPDAPUCK

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro View Post
Is there any chance Adam Chapman gets drafted this summer? I've always been intrigued about the guy, his career is kind of similar to that of David Clarkson, he does play a similar type of game too.Could he be a good late round pick for us? Along with his teammate Poirier in the second round perhaps .
He seems like a good player, but hes pretty small for the style of game he plays IMO. I think he's will go either undrafted or late round pick. There's alot of players in his mold in this draft, but with higher skill level.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojiro View Post
Yeah may not be a bad late round gamble.

This guy has nice upside too...

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=143769

Really soft hands for a guy his size, plus he can throw'em.. He's playing behind guys like Veilleux and Barbashev this year on LW.

Old
03-11-2013, 05:42 PM
BrimStone64

Quote:
Originally Posted by hab 4ever View Post
Yup. + nagging injuries. And if the goal is to discredit Gauthier's first round credentials through some bad box score scouting, allow me to play the game and use a player who went second overall in his draft and to whom Gauthier is frequently compared. In his draft year, Jordan Staal had a 1.00 ppg average. And that was his second full CHL season, not his first as in Gauthier's case...
I like the Staal comparsion. Gauthier isn't quite as good as Staal, but close. Staal has averaged 48 points a season, based on 82 games. I got Gauthier should be around 40 points a year. So, that is getting fairly close.

The Habs may take Gauthier in late 20s, 25-28th overall.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:00 PM
JustAHabFan

Quote:
I like the Staal comparsion. Gauthier isn't quite as good as Staal, but close. Staal has averaged 48 points a season, based on 82 games. I got Gauthier should be around 40 points a year. So, that is getting fairly close.

I am more impressed with Petan. He is small but full of talent. IMHO, bigger does not mean better. I recognize that our team is small but Petan has so much talent that I think it's worth the risk to draft him with our 1st pick.

Old
03-11-2013, 06:55 PM
L4br3cqu3
U mad ?

vCash: 905
Quote:

Staal got this average mostly because he was asked to play a more defensive game behind Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh, in Raleigh he'll be behind his brother only, and I think we'll see the real Jordan Staal.

And I don't know, with the kind of talent available in this year's draft, expecting 40 pts per season from a 1st rounder ain't right IMO. I know you were only comparing the style of players, and making some projections, but if that's all we could get, I prefer a more dynamic offensive player, that's what we need right now. Eller could actually become that 40 pts 2-way center, why get another one ?

Anyway, I don't get the vibe from Gauthier, might be another Keven Veilleux for all we know...

Old
03-11-2013, 08:56 PM
hab 4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post
Staal got this average mostly because he was asked to play a more defensive game behind Crosby and Malkin in Pittsburgh, in Raleigh he'll be behind his brother only, and I think we'll see the real Jordan Staal.

And I don't know, with the kind of talent available in this year's draft, expecting 40 pts per season from a 1st rounder ain't right IMO. I know you were only comparing the style of players, and making some projections, but if that's all we could get, I prefer a more dynamic offensive player, that's what we need right now. Eller could actually become that 40 pts 2-way center, why get another one ?

Anyway, I don't get the vibe from Gauthier, might be another Keven Veilleux for all we know...
Absolutely no similarities between Gauthier's playing style and main skills and Veilleux's (whose development was limited by several serious injuries for the record). They are just vastly different players aside from being tall Quebeckers who play hockey...

Old
03-11-2013, 09:03 PM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
That's awesome, the only thing that sucks is that we are picking at 30
LOL. That does suck! But you gotta look at the silver lining.

Old
03-11-2013, 09:15 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasculio View Post

Jordan Staal has offensive talent, but he won't explode just because he's no longer in Pittsburgh, he's been #2 most of the last 2 years with crosby and Malkin being hurt.

Gauthier has little in Common with Veilleux. Veilleux was more of a lazy one dimensional player. Gauthier has a strong work ethic and is a strong 2 way player.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:14 PM
MaxLacoste

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAHabFan View Post
I am more impressed with Petan. He is small but full of talent. IMHO, bigger does not mean better. I recognize that our team is small but Petan has so much talent that I think it's worth the risk to draft him with our 1st pick.
Petan is also my pick if Montreal between 20-30. The kid is compare with Claude Giroux. We need talent and talent. Let's get talent with the first pick and then size with all the second round picks. If Timmins loved Teravainen, it's sure he will fall for Petan.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:31 PM
Marc the Habs Fan

I'd be down for Petan as well if we're picking in the mid 20's.

By the time Petan arrives, the only ''small'' player currently on the roster who could be left is Gallagher.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Nitehowl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
I'd be down for Petan as well if we're picking in the mid 20's.

By the time Petan arrives, the only ''small'' player currently on the roster who could be left is Gallagher.
one scout on twitter mentioned Petan as a late 1st or early 2nd.

anyone have info on Justin Bailey..youngest player in draft with great size rated mid 30's??

Old
03-12-2013, 02:51 AM
JeromeHP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
I guess I chose the right game to praise Poirier prior to the game....

Poirier, for me, is late 1st, early 2nd. Nothing more than that. That's how great I think this kid will become.
Yikes my friend i have Poirier as a 3rd rounder, look like a lot of ppl have jump on Poirier bandwagon after his great game last friday. not sure where those ppl were in january where he scored 1 goal in 11 games & when he was benched for undisciplined play by gatineau head coach. Don't get me wrong, i like him. nice combination of size & skill. good skater as well, imo could become a pascal dupuis type of player in the nhl.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:59 AM
Marc the Habs Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
one scout on twitter mentioned Petan as a late 1st or early 2nd.

anyone have info on Justin Bailey..youngest player in draft with great size rated mid 30's??
Well, I know he's not the youngest since he was born in July (the youngest one would be Vincent Dunn, who was born on the very last day of eligibility).

Bailey is full of tools. He's big. He's a righty shot. He skates well. He has solid offensive skills. He just has to put it all together and put some meat on his bones. His hockey sense may also be in question.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:12 AM
That

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitehowl View Post
Possesses an absolutely incredible wrist shot but not much else. Decent skater, good speed but very awkward looking. Don't use his size at all as he doesn't go to the front of the net or work along the boards despite usually getting rewarded with a good scoring chance when he does. He also gets moved off the puck very easily and doesn't really compete very hard to get it back. I question his compete level at times.

He's full of tools like shot, size, and slick hands, but he has some serious work to do on almost every aspect of the game. Clearly lots of upside, but very, very raw and is a long-term project.

Speaking of low compete level...that seems to be a trend among OHL prospects this year. Zadorov, Rychel, Dickinson, Kujawinski, Bailey, Lodge, and Harper are all fairly highly though of OHL eligibles who take way too many shifts off for my liking.

Closed Thread