Notices

Bruins @ Ottawa - Bruins win 3 - 2!!! S/O

Old
03-12-2013, 10:51 AM
Sevren

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by the overrated View Post
Personally, I disagree. If a game is good & exciting, I don't walk out disappointed about it ending in a tie. It's disappointing to have the B's not win, but it's not like I feel like the ending is anticlimactic just because it ended in a draw. And honestly some of the luster of wining is lost when it happens because of a skills competition instead of being the result of actual, team-based hockey.
I respect your opinion and was not a fan of the idea when it was first introduced. I still have a hard time saying a team "lost" a game after losing in the shootout. But I also remember how disappointing it is when a game ends in a tie. In a perfect world they would play overtime until one team wins, but as we all know it's not possible. The shootout is sort of a gimmick but it's entertaining for a lot fans, and I bet the players like it as well. It's been around for a while now so teams have had enough time to practice shootout attempts and make it a part of their game.

Sevren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post
And to those saying the shootout is dumb and should be treated like the gimick it is...that's ********.

The shootout is dumb. I hate it. But it's part of the game now, and excelling at it can make a difference in the standings. To treat it like a gimmick and not take it seriously would put your team at a disadvantage. There are other ways to voice displeasure at it, but to do that at the expense of points is foolish.
Its not ********.

You can try and score and still do stupid **** in the attempt. That move last night was so ****ed up but it almost worked if it wasn't for an awesome save, had it gone in it would of been embarrassing as all hell.

Kaspars Daugavins WAS trying to score last night. He WAS taking it seriously. People are trying the "forsberg" and it works, but its one that when it fails it looks horrible. Who was closer to scoring last night. Seguin or Daugavins?

Daugavins attempt was silly looking, and people should be rolling their eyes at it. But if thats the direction the NHL wants to take they should be prepared for hockey games imitating the all star game.

As far as the "tie" argument, change the overtime rules to accommodate the game ending during a team vs team atmosphere.

Last edited by CamFan81: 03-12-2013 at 11:06 AM.
CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:56 AM
ap3lovr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerenityRick View Post
I agree. I don't see the big deal. Players can and should do whatever they can within the rules to score for their team..

A lot of people are pissed here for the ATTEMPT.. can you imagine how bad this place would be if he had scored?
I thought it was great. This is the entertainment industry. I was entertained. It also got some play on TV that normally wouldn't give the NHL any exposure.

ap3lovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
How did you ever survive playing hockey growing up.. with all those ties.

But seriously, for all those who say ties are horrible, etc. How did you handle it growing up?
Not sure it this was aimed at me since you quoted me, but I never said ties are horrible. I just said that a shootout is more entertaining than a tie.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:02 AM
BMC
PerJohan Axelsson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
I'll take a shootout over a tie anyday.
I won't. I detest shootouts.

Let them play OT either 5x5 or 4x4 until someone scores.

BMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post

You cannot do that in hockey. You cannot have teams play 2 or 3 or 4 overtime periods and then have them play again in less than 24 hours. It would be too physically demanding.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:08 AM
Kate08
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Its not ********.

You can try and score and still do stupid **** in the attempt. That move last night was so ****ed up but it almost worked if it wasn't for an awesome save, had it gone in it would of been embarrassing as all hell.

Kaspars Daugavins WAS trying to score last night. He WAS taking it seriously. People are trying the "forsberg" and it works, but its one that when it fails it looks horrible.

Who was closer to scoring last night. Seguin or Daugavins?

Daugavins attempt was silly looking, and people should be rolling their eyes at it. But if thats the direction the NHL wants to take they should be prepared for hockey games imitating the all star game.

I had a disclaimer in there initially where I said I wasn't calling what he did a ******** attempt. But thought I didn't need it, considering I said in the beginning of my post that my comment was in regards to the idea that players should treat the shootout as the gimmick it is.

My mistake.

Kate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
CamFan81
HF Snob Agitator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kate08 View Post

I had a disclaimer in there initially where I said I wasn't calling what he did a ******** attempt. But thought I didn't need it, considering I said in the beginning of my post that my comment was in regards to the idea that players should treat the shootout as the gimmick it is.

My mistake.
agreed

CamFan81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:33 AM
OutspokenMinority

I likes a use shootout in reg season and I likes a when player do trick shot. Takes a guts, and probably works a bout a same amount as normal try. I no likes a tie and I no likes a when Jack whine about shootout during shootout. Big a Jack a fan, not a fan of a that whine though. Kind a like a the whines years a go about a slam a dunk. yessir.

OutspokenMinority is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:57 AM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutspokenMinority View Post
I likes a use shootout in reg season and I likes a when player do trick shot. Takes a guts, and probably works a bout a same amount as normal try. I no likes a tie and I no likes a when Jack whine about shootout during shootout. Big a Jack a fan, not a fan of a that whine though. Kind a like a the whines years a go about a slam a dunk. yessir.
It's a me, Mario!

Old
03-12-2013, 12:37 PM
Ladyfan
Miss you Savvy !

vCash: 248
Quote:
Originally Posted by flannelman View Post
wasn't impressed. they can't open the same way they did last night t vs the Penguins tonight.get to see Thorts and Paille score.
QFT.

The B's better be ready to play a full 60 tonight.

Watch out for cooke....or nail him every chance you can

03-12-2013, 01:00 PM
DCHabitant

Damn, you guys just keep winning. Habs are having best season in years, and still Bruins are doing better (taking the games in hand into account). Big, tough and plenty of finesse to boot. Nice effing team. Unfortunately.

Hate the Bruins! Loving the rivalry!

DCHabitant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:18 PM
Bi Coastal Bawse*
RIP Sam Berns

I still think Turris trying to bully Hamilton until Seidenberg got there was funny

Bi Coastal Bawse* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:01 PM
Sevren

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCHabitant View Post
Damn, you guys just keep winning. Habs are having best season in years, and still Bruins are doing better (taking the games in hand into account). Big, tough and plenty of finesse to boot. Nice effing team. Unfortunately.

Hate the Bruins! Loving the rivalry!
You just made your first post ever on the Bruins board. Maybe you are really a Bruins fan?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:03 PM
dredeye
BJ Elitist/Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevren View Post
It's a me, Mario!
this literally has me LOL

dredeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMC View Post

My idea is 4v4 for 10-15min and if no one scores.. the game ends in a tie where no one gets a point.

1.) I think a goal would occur in this amount of time. in 4v4 for 5minutes, there are definitely more chances. So 4v4 for up to 15 minutes would almost surely ensure a goal.

2.) without a loser point where both teams ultimately deemed as losers.. both teams will actually try and score before it gets to OT.. no one wants to play longer than they have to. conserving energy for the next game is key.

3.) This would also ensure that the OT itself should it get there, is riddled with opportunity. No going through the motions knowing that you're getting a point either way.. that the game ends in a shoot out if it doesn't get done in OT. You have to try your best to score within 10-15 minutes or it's treated like a loss.

It would bring ties back but I have no problem with them. I actually think this would make hockey even more exciting quite frankly.

I'm even in favor of 3pt games.. 3pt for regulation win. 2pts for OT win. 0 pts for losers.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:31 PM
wetcamelfood

Semi OT but how was Dog man's move last night legal? I thought once you either lose control or make a backwards move, it's considered a dead play and when he spins around, that's akin to moving backwards so it should be blown dead, not to mention, he could squat while having his back towards goal, therefore interfering with Rask's ability to attempt the save (I know he made the save but just mean food for thought in making a fair ruling). Just hope to get rule clarification if anyone here knows. I thought if I started a new thread about it it'd be merged here anyway so... thanks in advance for the replies.

wetcamelfood is offline   Reply With Quote