HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Danny Kristo Connundrum

Old
03-12-2013, 08:52 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsProspectsExpert View Post
He is not NHL ready yet.
He still needs to be signed

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM
WaltWhitman

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexdaman View Post
To anyone who doesn't what kind of skillz he has.

Last edited by WaltWhitman: 03-12-2013 at 09:41 AM.
WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:05 AM
gunnerdom
Go HABS Go!!!!

Send a message via MSN to gunnerdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Please explain. Does it have something to do with the fact that this summer is FIVE years from draft year and not four?
We had this whole discussion on this in another Kristo thread in the summer I think.

The jist is that the loop hole was at the end of the 3rd year because he played an extra year at high school level or something like that. I can't remember the exact detail. So he would've had to say to the NHL and the Habs that he quits University and will go the FA way. But as soon as he started the fourth year of University, the loophole closed.

gunnerdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:25 AM
WaltWhitman

sweetest goal by kristo this year imo- go to 0:15 sec on this video.

WaltWhitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:11 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Anyhow, on the Kristo topic, there is an issue of conduct and self-discipline.

Hoping he's learnt from all his past mistakes, because, if he can't control his conduct in North Dakota, Montreal wouldn't be the best place for him.

Baby steps though. Interested to see how he would perform in the AHL.
I think he might be phenomenal. Speed, hands, aggression. Kristo could make the Habs next year. Kristo and Gallagher as wingers, by jeezus. That could be something. Nuclear energy.

bsl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:14 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Team Needed View Post
He'll spend a year or two in Hamilton.
He'll spend 25 games in Hamilton.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:17 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by bib View Post
Anyhow, on the Kristo topic, there is an issue of conduct and self-discipline.

Hoping he's learnt from all his past mistakes, because, if he can't control his conduct in North Dakota, Montreal wouldn't be the best place for him.

Baby steps though. Interested to see how he would perform in the AHL.
There are no more baby steps, and Habs know it. 22 year olds rule in this NHL. New game. Young game. Kristo could make it next year.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
bsl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltWhitman View Post
sweetest goal by kristo this year imo- go to 0:15 sec on this video.

Unreal. Man amongst boys.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:25 AM
Drive425

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
There are no more baby steps, and Habs know it. 22 year olds rule in this NHL. New game. Young game. Kristo could make it next year.
Kristo is not nhl ready. He's coming to a game which is much faster, tougher, stronger then what he is used to. He needs a year in Hamilton at least.

Drive425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:43 AM
jfb392

I'm a fan of a rival team, but I saw this thread while browsing and knew what it'd be about.

AFAIK, the option for college players to choose between a current season contract and a future contract exists, but it no longer has any leverage:
Quote:
One positive for college coaches that may help if only a little is that players can no longer burn a year off of their entry-level contract by signing at the end of their college campaign to get in a few games at the NHL level.

For example, J.T. Brown signed with Tampa Bay after his sophomore season at Minnesota Duluth last year. He appeared in just five games for the Lightning at the end of the last season which counted as a full year on his contract, leaving just one year remaining on his entry-level deal. So he’ll get to restricted free agency a year sooner. That will no longer be the case.

Players may still join NHL teams late, receive signing bonuses and play, but that short stint will not count as a full year on an entry-level contract, according to the summary.

Burning a year was a key incentive for some players, particularly college free agents to leave school quickly after their college season ended to burn that year. Taking that option away could slow that players’ decision process down as the only incentive to get those few games in at the tail end of the season is the money from his signing bonus and the prorated contract. Still not bad, but not nearly as enticing as burning an entire year off an ELC.
http://unitedstatesofhockey.com/2013...ollege-hockey/

In other words, current or future contract, it doesn't matter.
Agents will no longer have leverage to say "current contract or we're not signing", which has been the case with some players such as Frattin.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 AM
CrAzYNiNe

Send a message via MSN to CrAzYNiNe
Does Kristo really have what it takes? With the emergence of Gallagher, if he keeps it up, we have 1 top 6 RW. With Gionta coming to the end of his contract, I can see him sign for a fraction of the price to probably play on the 3rd line. Now we have two RW that I can see crack the NHL lineup (I am not sold on Holland, but I haven't seen that much of him). Collberg I feel is anywhere between 2-4 or more years away from playing a regular shift in the NHL. This could change if he wants to come over sooner and adapt to the NHL game. Kristo is the only other RW that can be penciled in to the top 6 without subtracting somewhere else. (Let's say a trade) (or we sign Corey Perry... and I woke up out of my dream!)

I guess we will have to wait and see how he does in the AHL to get a more recognizable measuring stick, as NCAA just doesn't cut it for me. (I don't have that good of an eye for talent, not that it can't be done)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
In other words, current or future contract, it doesn't matter.
Agents will no longer have leverage to say "current contract or we're not signing", which has been the case with some players such as Frattin.
Thanks for the info. Good to know they are protecting the teams a bit from players that are greedy (Seems to be a trend of players from the NCAA, not all, some.)

CrAzYNiNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Habtchum*

We never have too mnany good players. Injuries, trades, lack of production by some players. With his skating and offensive skills, Kristo could become a solid NHL player.

Habtchum* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:28 PM
beowulf
Not a nice guy.

Send a message via MSN to beowulf
Don't see why he should be bought up to Montreal and likely play little if it all. Better to sign him for next year and let him play out the season in Hamilton.

beowulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:33 PM
overlords
youmyboyblou!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsl View Post
Unreal. Man amongst boys.
Literally

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:47 PM
Heimerdinger

The most underrated prospect the Habs had for years. Way better than Louis Leblanc.

Heimerdinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Eller View Post
The most underrated prospect the Habs had for years. Way better than Louis Leblanc.
Leblanc and Kristo played together in Omaha. They have about the same talent level, just different sets of skills. Leblanc went thru way too many teams to develop properly. Kristo stayed 4 years with the same College. leblanc played against real NHL hockey players last season. Kristo has yet to prove he can do that.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:24 PM
Shutdown

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Literally
I wonder what the median age is for the NCAA. Gotta be closer to 20. Lots of non-NHL prospects who go in as 19, almost 20 year old freshmen.

edit: the average D1 freshman is 19.9 years old
http://www.collegehockeydirectory.co.../Why20Old.aspx

Last edited by Shutdown: 03-12-2013 at 02:44 PM.
Shutdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:48 PM
Habtchum*

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Literally
In terms of maturity: I'm not sure about that...

Old
03-12-2013, 02:49 PM
KadoCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drive425 View Post
Kristo is not nhl ready. He's coming to a game which is much faster, tougher, stronger then what he is used to. He needs a year in Hamilton at least.

Kristo has NHL speed and shot right now. He just needs to put some weight on and keep working hard and he could be NHL ready next season.

He'll almost definitely start in the AHL but he is dominating in a pretty strong league now. No reason to think he can't be atleast a bit contributor to the team next season.

KadoCH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
DJ Breadman

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/und-...3009--nhl.html

DJ Breadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:27 PM
WakeUpNHL

Good news for Kristo on his charges... he is ready to start his party career here in Mont-real as long as he is not buying for the Gallys.

Bounanotte awaits!

BTW.... deferred sentence defination below.

"A deferred sentence is a sentence that is suspended until after a defendant has completed a period of probation. If the defendant fulfills the stipulations surrounding probation, a judge may then throw out the sentence and guilty plea, clearing the incident from their record. If the defendant violates probation, he or she must serve the full sentence immediately.[1]

In the United States, a defendant must plead guilty to at least one of the crimes he or she is accused of in order to receive a deferred sentence. The promise of a deferred sentence is often traded in exchange for a guilty plea in plea bargains.

Deferred sentences are often given to first time offenders, or to those who have committed relatively minor crimes, although ultimately, the choice to defer a sentence is left to a judge's discretion.
"

Last edited by WakeUpNHL: 03-12-2013 at 05:29 PM. Reason: correction/clarification
WakeUpNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:14 PM
kris
No JDru for TB - yet

Thread just made me make a trip to the liqour store.

kris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:55 PM
montreal
Go Habs Go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Petrov View Post
With the college season winding down the habs have a potentially large decision to make with Danny Kristo.

IMO if North Dakota has an early exit from the playoffs I would sign him to a current deal, have him play the end of the season in Hamilton then call him up for whatever is left of the NHL year. He could end up being useful like Kreider was for the Rangers last year.
Not a big deal imo. Also even if ND has an early exit from the playoffs, they will still likely be Frozen Four bound since they are high up in the pairwise rankings. Even if not they wouldn't know it until the end of the month when the teams are announced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaseballCoach View Post
Please explain. Does it have something to do with the fact that this summer is FIVE years from draft year and not four?
The loop hole is for players that spend a year outside the NCAA as NHL draft picks, so that after 3 years in the NCAA, they can opt out and become UFA's.

Mac Bennett, Mark MacMillan and Colin Sullivan can all opt out after their 3rd year in the NCAA. So Bennett this summer, MacMillan the next and Sullivan the following.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadoCH View Post
Toews, Oshie, and Frattin all had multiple run in's with the Law at UND and turned out fine.

Just a bit of a party culture with the team and no leniency from the police it seems.
The funny thing is Frattin was suspended and missed the entire semester (half the season), it didn't seem to hurt him.

montreal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Richiebottles
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Send a message via AIM to Richiebottles
Saw him play early in the year and I can confirm that yes he is ready to be in the NHL. Put him on the 3rd line and he will do just fine.

Richiebottles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:09 PM
LaurentHabs
Wat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richiebottles View Post
Saw him play early in the year and I can confirm that yes he is ready to be in the NHL. Put him on the 3rd line and he will do just fine.
Chuckie and Kristo

LaurentHabs is offline   Reply With Quote