HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:18 AM
worraps
Acceptance

vCash: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
just sign Luongo in the summer after the Canucks buy him out.
Unless he is feeling particularly vengeful towards the Canucks, Bobby Lou is not going to sign a deal with us.

That said, I would love having him on a reasonable deal:

Old
03-12-2013, 10:20 AM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Grouchy Smurf View Post
why does Paajarvi keep getting traded.... this kid, imo is gonna be a 'player', a solid 2 way guy.. not a 100pt guy, but hopefully molds into a lesser kesler, backes type.
Because at some point if we want to upgrade our team we'll have to move someone other than Eager, Petrell, Potter, Peckham or Whitney.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:24 AM
Pros and Cons

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanahanigans View Post
If RNH's horrible offensive pace continues this year, what happens? Do him and his agent wait for after next year to re up? Do they sign a long term contract this summer? Does he sign a bridge contract of two or three years, similar to Duchene, Subban, etc?

I want him to sign a long term contract this summer. We can probably get him much cheaper than we would in a year's time. If RNH doesn't become a first line centre anyways, our rebuild is pretty much ruined.

If RNH doesn't start to think of putting on some muscle and train like a mad-dog he will only be a really good OHL player in the NHL. He is not built for the NHl at current size (yes, I know he is going on 20 - i.e. Landeskog is 207 lbs), and he should have been sent to junior last year to work on the next step. He is not a winger, he is being groomed as a number one centre on a potential lethal line-up of young stars - he is going to be pushed around by other teams.
IMO, RNH is the player who needs to be traded (with a defenceman) for this team to get to the next step in development. We need more then anything a player who can take the punishment and has the kahonas to dictate the play as a #1 centreman must do in this league.

Last edited by Pros and Cons: 03-12-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 10:26 AM
Pros and Cons

Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
Because at some point if we want to upgrade our team we'll have to move someone other than Eager, Petrell, Potter, Peckham or Whitney.
You keep guys like MPS, its that simple to start. Give him some swagger and look out.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:32 AM
stoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Dynasty View Post
he's got 21 pts in 25 games..which would tie him for 2nd on the Oilers

his 9 goals would tie him with Gagner for the Oiler lead

he a big physical body that the Oilers are sorely lacking since Penner left

Hemsky+ a defenseman not named Justin Schultz should be up for grabs
We don't need big physical bodies. We need grit. And there is a big difference between the two. We need someone who is relentless on the pursuit of a puck. Whether this guy is 6'5" or 5'5". Datsyuk might be the hardest player in the league to play against and he is under 6' while Penner is 6'3" and is easy to play against as examples. Stewart is big and does hit but he is not especially gritty or hard to play against.

I'd also be worried that he has worn out his welcome in two different cities within 3 years, has been called lazy or unmotivated, and has shown up overweight to camp before. We don't need to experiment with more players like that. Add to the fact that he is a RW and I wouldn't make a trade for him.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:47 AM
backhandsauce

Posted this on the main board. Thoughts?

Hemsky
Whitney
2nd*

for

Filppula
Abdelkader

The 2nd is conditional on Filppula resigning with the Oilers.

He's a natural LW in which the Oilers need.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:50 AM
hugeegosorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pros and Cons View Post
If RNH doesn't start to think of putting on some muscle and train like a mad-dog he will only be a really good OHL player in the NHL. He is not built for the NHl at current size (yes, I know he is going on 20 - i.e. Landeskog is 207 lbs), and he should have been sent to junior last year to work on the next step. He is not a winger, he is being groomed as a number one centre on a potential lethal line-up of young stars - he is going to be pushed around by other teams.
IMO, RNH is the player who needs to be traded (with a defenceman) for this team to get to the next step in development. We need more then anything a player who can take the punishment and has the kahonas to dictate the play as a #1 centreman must do in this league.
The kid is 20 years old. Give him some time! Everybody's body develops at different times and in different ways. These guys obviously train during the off season with other players and are guided by experts on and off the team. You think coaches dont tell them what they need to work on during the off season? Increased weight will come with time. It's a nonissue IMO. Your skill in the game, how to read game situations, how to defend, when to pinch....those are the important things to develop for a young player. If someone is not there to teach them these things, or if they're not willing to learn themselves, then you have a problem in your hands.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:10 AM
SephF
Thanks Smytty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okanagan Oil View Post
Posted this on the main board. Thoughts?

Hemsky
Whitney
2nd*

for

Filppula
Abdelkader

The 2nd is conditional on Filppula resigning with the Oilers.

He's a natural LW in which the Oilers need.
Abdelkader is terrible. Edmonton is giving up two of their trade chips for a winger? They need a C or Defense not a winger, I'd rather see them use their trade chips to address areas of need.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:19 AM
Koto

Quote:
this is motive for moving someone with value...like eberle or yakupov.

mps still has very little value, and lots of potential, makes no sense to move him.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:24 AM
armandh01

Quote:
I have to wonder about this sentiment on size and capability. Playing with passion is a lot more important than being big. I have never seen RNH "pushed around" much if at all this season playing against other top lines.

Trading RNH just sounds ridiculous to me. He has had marked improvement in a short time frame in other important areas of his game (aside from offense). I would also like to mention these improvements were against tougher than normal competition. It is not like he gained 5% in the dot and better defensively against other teams 4th lines. He is improving and the offense will come, it is inevitable. You shelter this guy a bit, you definitely don't trade him.

Last edited by armandh01: 03-12-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old
03-12-2013, 11:26 AM
Bauer83

vCash: 6065
Quote:
Originally Posted by armandh01 View Post
I have to wonder about this sentiment on size and capability. Playing with passion is a lot more important than being big. I have never seen RNH "pushed around" much if at all this season playing against other top lines.

Trading RNH just sounds ridiculous to me. He has had marked improvement in a short time frame in other important areas of his game. I would also like to mention these improvements were against tougher than normal competition. Shelter him don't trade the guy because his offensive hasn't jived yet.
There is well documented accounts of media and fans wanting to trade Gretzky as he was way too small to play in the NHL. There was also a ton of Oilers fans who wanted Coffey moved due to his defensive lapses. The trend continues in fans impatience.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:30 AM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Not at this point. The Oilers 2013 first could easily be:

Jones/Barkov/MacKinnon.

& Jake Gardiner is behind Mike Kostka on the Leaf's depth chart.
Then can we make a trade for him? Him and Schultz are close, and Jake Gardiner has loads of potential...
Smid-Petry
Gardiner-Schultz
Whitney-Fistric

That ain't half bad!

Old
03-12-2013, 11:44 AM
worraps
Acceptance

Quote:

Old
03-12-2013, 12:11 PM
nofool6110
Best @ tanking ainec

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh...368337&page=41

Last one hit #1013 posts. Yay!

Old
03-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Delicious Pancakes

So the TSN panel had Chris Stewart in St. Louis potentially being available for the right deal and said they could use a left handed defenseman to play with Pietrangelo or Shattenkirk and some improved goaltending. The price for Stewart they said was likely a 1st rounder, roster player and prospect.

If Whitney continues to bounce back and Khabbi comes back at the same level he was at what about this deal

To STL:
Whitney
Khabibulin
2013 2nd
*2014 2nd
Prospect

To EDM:
Stewart

*STL gets a 2014 2nd if they can't re-sign Whitney

The Blues get a puck-moving LD and some goaltending help. This is obviously conditional on Whitney continuing his offensive production and Bulin being healthy enough and playing well. I think if the trade addresses those needs for St. Louis the Oilers don't have to give a 1st.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:23 PM
misfit

There seems to be a lot of talk about moving Hemsky for players like Stafford and Stewart. I understand the need to get bigger (well, I understand the desire, not so much the need), but I'm not a fan of giving up the best player in a trade. Especially when you're getting a player at the same position.

Visnovsky for Whitney
Pitkanen for Cole
Cole for O'Sullivan
Torres for Brule
Gilbert for Schultz

Tambellini's track record on player-for-player trades isn't great to put it lightly. I suppose an argument could be made that Stewart is an upgrade on Hemsky, but it's far from a slam dunk, and you know what they say; The devil you know...

03-12-2013, 12:24 PM
misfit

I wouldn't give up our first in a Stewart trade (at least not this year's), but I'd defintitely do that trade, Pancakes.

Though I don't think that's the kind of return the Blues would have in mind.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:27 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 406
Quote:
Originally Posted by misfit View Post
There seems to be a lot of talk about moving Hemsky for players like Stafford and Stewart. I understand the need to get bigger (well, I understand the desire, not so much the need), but I'm not a fan of giving up the best player in a trade. Especially when you're getting a player at the same position.

Visnovsky for Whitney
Pitkanen for Cole
Cole for O'Sullivan
Torres for Brule
Gilbert for Schultz

Tambellini's track record on player-for-player trades isn't great to put it lightly. I suppose an argument could be made that Stewart is an upgrade on Hemsky, but it's far from a slam dunk, and you know what they say; The devil you know...
The thing is if he doesn't do anything to try and balance the team out he'll be with Pat Quinn in make believe land.

It's not just Hemsky though IMO. We have very few assets that teams would want that we'd be willing to give up. At some point someone is going to be dealt and some Oiler fans won't like it. Just like that 4th rounder that many didn't want to see dealt.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:36 PM
Bryanbryoil
I Know A Thing Or 6

Quote:
Did you forget the sarcasm smiley? I guess Patrick Kane, Giroux in Philly, etc. should all be in the OHL too? As for Kanonas? Do you mean cohones? If there's one think than RNH doesn't lack it's balls, the kid is often times the first forward in front of the net offensively and defensively in spite of his slight build.

03-12-2013, 12:45 PM
Koto

the trade rnh comment is so ridiculous

hes top two in terms of must keep on the team, and only one of 3 true untouchables at this point to me.

Hall
RNH

J Schultz

Old
03-12-2013, 12:49 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:

Just no.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:52 PM
Moose Coleman

Quote:
The thing is if he doesn't do anything to try and balance the team out he'll be with Pat Quinn in make believe land.

It's not just Hemsky though IMO. We have very few assets that teams would want that we'd be willing to give up. At some point someone is going to be dealt and some Oiler fans won't like it. Just like that 4th rounder that many didn't want to see dealt.
What happened to us having a deep prospect pool? Is the consensus that the last few drafts are busts?

Old
03-12-2013, 12:54 PM
ponokanocker

Quote:

Old
03-12-2013, 12:57 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

From Tambo's presser this morning.

Quote:
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
"Whether you're in the playoffs or not if you can upgrade your team, you do that." - #Oilers GM Steve Tambellini addressing the media.
Quote:
Edmonton Oilers ‏@EdmontonOilers
"You're not going to give up youth for a quick fix for the next 2 weeks." - Tambellini
I think that the Oilers just replayed a presser from three years ago or something.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:58 PM
seguino

Quote:
a full bag of NOPE. RNH is struggling but he wreaks of talent

Closed Thread