HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Lattendresse Hurt

Old
07-27-2006, 07:32 PM
Mr. Hab

vCash: 500
Should LAtendresse start wearing a full visor?
This would lower any further possibilities of getting concussions (it would protect his chin from flagrant elbows).

I know it's unlikely, but it's a darn good option.

I really wish Koivu had one.

Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:40 PM
habitforming

[QUOTE=Hab at it;6140347]Spraining an ankle, breaking a bone type injuries are nothing to get concerned about. Concussions are potentially career ending injuries, there are justifiable reasons for people to be concerned about this especially since it's not the first time it's happened.

. . . . . I beg to differ about a broken bone & so would Howie Morenz . . . .

habitforming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 07:42 PM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it View Post
Spraining an ankle, breaking a bone type injuries are nothing to get concerned about. Concussions are potentially career ending injuries, there are justifiable reasons for people to be concerned about this especially since it's not the first time it's happened.

I guess the explains why he was "shutout" in the game last night, as another poster stated.

Sorry - missed the quote from whom part . . .

Old
07-27-2006, 08:33 PM
albertonhabsfan

Trade Him!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

albertonhabsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 08:51 PM
Form and Substance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Should LAtendresse start wearing a full visor?
This would lower any further possibilities of getting concussions (it would protect his chin from flagrant elbows).

I know it's unlikely, but it's a darn good option.

I really wish Koivu had one.
All junior players wear visors.

Form and Substance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:08 PM
VGTvidz

Lachepelle was right when he said Latendresse wouldnt make the ECJ this year...

VGTvidz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:39 PM
Toro

Im from windsor and read a lot of stories about downie and how he is a real fanatic about the structure and leadership of a team, that im a little suspecious of the "accidental collision".

Did anyone see the events leading up to and the whole play where they collide?

downie probably sees himself as the captain(probably will be) and disciplinarian. The one that makes the rules and decides the inniation treatment and so on.

remember how i believe he tried to force his dominance over a player in windsor and all that business last season?

im not against leadership and stuff but i think it is questionable weather Downie knows where the line is. He might have learned this past season, and all i have read on the subject is second hand information at best, who knows what really happened. Only Downie and the other people involved.

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 09:41 PM
Toro

Lats will be seen by Montreal's doctors i hope. Don't want injurys like this to be just swept under the rug. I'm sure Bob has already started the ball rolling

Toro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2006, 11:23 PM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leachmeister2000 View Post
All junior players wear visors.
Was he wearing one during the scrimmage/practice? (Red vs White?).
It said in the article that LAtendresse was hit in the chin by Downie's elbow.
Anyways...this concussion happened even with a visor? I know it's possible (no?).

The next year or two is crucial for Gui. I hope there are no more concussions, of course. And, I really hope that this one is not serious.

Old
07-28-2006, 02:08 AM
VirginiaMtlExpat
Going thru customs

He needs to have a boxer-type mouthguard at least, in addition to the half-visor, or better still in addition to a full-visor. Boxers wear such mouthguards for a reason, and hate to be caught in the ring without one. These mouthguards minimize the effect of a facial trauma on the brain, which otherwise are transferred via the jaw to the base of the brain with no damping whatsoever. Someone needs to start putting 2 and 2: many of these concussive injuries can be avoided. I would implement this league-wide.

VirginiaMtlExpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:31 AM
Mr. Hab

Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanyMontrealExpat View Post
He needs to have a boxer-type mouthguard at least, in addition to the half-visor, or better still in addition to a full-visor. Boxers wear such mouthguards for a reason, and hate to be caught in the ring without one. These mouthguards minimize the effect of a facial trauma on the brain, which otherwise are transferred via the jaw to the base of the brain with no damping whatsoever. Someone needs to start putting 2 and 2: many of these concussive injuries can be avoided. I would implement this league-wide.
Thanks for the important info. Maybe I'll start a thread with your good info, and hope somehow (?) that Latendresse will start wearing a boxing mouthguard.
If you don't want me to start a thread with your info just inform a moderator and he/she should delete the thread.
Thanks.

Old
07-28-2006, 07:27 AM
Ludo

Although we've seen a few guys careers end due to concussions (Lafontaine, Lindros pretty much, Primeau), many big checks result in concussion like symptoms (Zednik as an example). Kariya had quite a few and is still able to play at to his full potential...just needs to pay attention to where he is.

My point: Lats can still have a great career ahead of him, but definitely is concussion prone. Needs to pay attention to this on the ice going forward.

Ludo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:26 AM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
You're right, I stand corrected about the timing between the two head injuries. I was going by the stats on the hockeydb.com website which did not list Drummondville making the playoffs in 2006. I should have went to the QMJHL website to confirm it.

When I did look at the 2006 playoff game boxscores, I noticed that Latendresse managed 3 goals and 2 assists in the first four games. Then he was dressed in the fifth game, but did not produce any stats; I'll assume he was injured in that game, since he wasn't in the lineups for the next 2 games. I am now, officially, more concerned about Latendresse's condition. Hopefully he'll be ready to play in the Habs or Drummondville training camps in August.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nihilist View Post
Latendresse's team made the playoffs this year. Latendresse had a concussion during the 2006 QMJHL playoffs.

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:37 AM
DerekT

Here's TSN video of the hit.

http://www.tsn.ca/audio_video/video_...asp?reel=26633

Lats is #16 in that, right?

DerekT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:09 AM
Hab at it

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitforming View Post
. . . . . I beg to differ about a broken bone & so would Howie Morenz . . . .
And when did Morenz play? Oh yeah the 20's and 30's, science has come a long way since then, back then Souray's broken wrist would've probably forced him to retire. Whatever, of course their are exceptions to the rule but they are very far and few between. Whereas retirement forced by concussions are much more frequent.

Hab at it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:47 AM
habitforming

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hab at it View Post
And when did Morenz play? Oh yeah the 20's and 30's, science has come a long way since then, back then Souray's broken wrist would've probably forced him to retire. Whatever, of course their are exceptions to the rule but they are very far and few between. Whereas retirement forced by concussions are much more frequent.
. . . Look, my quote is a tongue in cheek response to your comment. Back to my original comment is why everyone seems to jump on the band wagon with demise when concussions are a common and yes as you just pointed out here, the technology is something where the majority of the time there isn't something to worry about.

Not an eye injury (Koivu).
Not (at the time), a severed tendon in the wrist (Donald Auidette)
Not (at the time), a carreer ending shot to the throat (McCleary)
on and on.

It's just that people panic right off the bat and if the interview with Lats would have been played right away on Tuesday, everyone would have seen from his (no worrysome, joking comment attitude), that there is absolutely nothing to worry about.

Just a point - not an argument topic !!!

Old
07-28-2006, 01:15 PM
habscout

Send a message via ICQ to habscout Send a message via AIM to habscout Send a message via MSN to habscout Send a message via Yahoo to habscout
Here's an update.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20...006/CPSPORTS01

The article mentions that Guillaume was meeting Canadiens' physicians this morning to assess his head injury, as it could be a concussion. He'll miss the rest of the Canadian Junior Team camp as a precautionary measure. Guy said he's in good spirits and expects to be ready for the Habs training camp in September. When the La Presse reporter asked him about the blow his head took from teammate Steve Downie's elbow, Latendresse replied "you should see his elbow!". ;-)

habscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 03:34 AM
Nobak

Quote:
Originally Posted by thief50 View Post
please tell me that you are on drugs
I wouldn't expect 110% to say it if it wasn't stupid.

Nobak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 12:23 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Terry Ryan
touche

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote