HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The All-Purpose Goaltending Thread #9

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 11:20 AM
toughfighter83*

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
That isn't what this thread has been about at all. It is about Bryz not being better than an average goalie and not worth the cap hit.
this is all because the fans dont like the money he's making, well how do you know the goalies in fa in 2014 will not want the same amount of money he's making or what makes you think they will come here anyway?

because we seen the management go after zach p and sutter with alot of money, they didnt want to come here, so you amnesty bryz and these goalies dont come here, who's going to replace him? Cal Heeter? Stolarz? that's really a bad idea, i would rather see these guys develop in the minor leagues before they are actually ready to start because pushing them into a role that they have no experience, they can really struggle.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:39 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmustang29 View Post
what makes you think they will come here anyway?

He's creating his own "heeeel"....but yeah not sure who would want to come here as a goalie but if you throw money at somebody like Snider did then yeah they will come...

Quote:
"You know where you going? You going to hell. It's a miserable market for the goalie." ~Bryzgalov HBO 24/7

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/blog/puc...rn=nhl,wp19914

Old
03-12-2013, 11:54 AM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenmustang29 View Post
this is all because the fans dont like the money he's making, well how do you know the goalies in fa in 2014 will not want the same amount of money he's making or what makes you think they will come here anyway?

because we seen the management go after zach p and sutter with alot of money, they didnt want to come here, so you amnesty bryz and these goalies dont come here, who's going to replace him? Cal Heeter? Stolarz? that's really a bad idea, i would rather see these guys develop in the minor leagues before they are actually ready to start because pushing them into a role that they have no experience, they can really struggle.
its not just about the money he's making. its about the piece of **** play he has been giving us. he's awful. I'd gladly give another goalie his money, for less years and one that has a save% over .900. 5.7 million dollar mistake

Old
03-12-2013, 12:28 PM
SolidSnakeUS

For being realistic, if Bryz was gone, who do you get? To get a young guy, you'd have to give up a bit. Stop gaps like Backstrom would still cost at least 3 or 4 million minimum for the club, plus he would be a 35+ contract. I want nothing to do with Thomas, Nabby and Khabibulin. Howard would more than likely go back with Detroit and Smith isn't even doing well in the Phoenix system, where Bryz was doing very well. The only other person I like is Emery, but he's not much of a #1 anymore, and I feel he is very much a product of the system. He looked absolutely dreadful in that 6-5 loss to the Oilers. Bernier, Allen and Lehner would cost too much. I honestly have more faith in them than Bishop and Markstrom too. Keep in mind, we probably won't see Stolarz in a Flyers uniform for at least 4 years.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:38 PM
toughfighter83*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
For being realistic, if Bryz was gone, who do you get? To get a young guy, you'd have to give up a bit. Stop gaps like Backstrom would still cost at least 3 or 4 million minimum for the club, plus he would be a 35+ contract. I want nothing to do with Thomas, Nabby and Khabibulin. Howard would more than likely go back with Detroit and Smith isn't even doing well in the Phoenix system, where Bryz was doing very well. The only other person I like is Emery, but he's not much of a #1 anymore, and I feel he is very much a product of the system. He looked absolutely dreadful in that 6-5 loss to the Oilers. Bernier, Allen and Lehner would cost too much. I honestly have more faith in them than Bishop and Markstrom too. Keep in mind, we probably won't see Stolarz in a Flyers uniform for at least 4 years.
exactly, this team is playing bad enough, we dont even have a backup, fans would just have to suck it up because they have no options. the thing is lav should have gave bob and bryz equal starts like what chicago is doing although you said emery was bad but bob was good goalie for us until lav overplayed him in 11 and played him too little last year.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:47 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
@BroadStBull: Bryz says Flyers are "done" if they lose next two to NJ. #Flyers

Old
03-12-2013, 12:48 PM
Prongo
Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Well if we lose the next two, start Leighton and sink to the bottom of the pond.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
You never like to hear that from any player but i'm sure some will consider him saying that a "sign" that he's given up or something even though it's the truth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prongo View Post
Well if we lose the next two, start Leighton and sink to the bottom of the pond.
I never want to see that bozo play another game as a Flyer but at this point it's inevitable.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:51 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Honestly, he's right. We'd have to go on an unreal streak to even get into the playoffs if we lost the next two games against NJ.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
BernieParent

Right or not, that's pretty surprising to go on record as saying. Then again, I'd like to see the context; just seeing "done" in quotes leaves much to be explained, particularly knowing the penchant of the local media for stirring up controversy or spilling gasoline on fires.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Right or not, that's pretty surprising to go on record as saying. Then again, I'd like to see the context; just seeing "done" in quotes leaves much to be explained, particularly knowing the penchant of the local media for stirring up controversy or spilling gasoline on fires.
Quote:
Bryz says this week is the season...and he's right. "You lose both games, you’re done. That’s it. This is it. This is reality."
-Dave Issac

Old
03-12-2013, 01:22 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Ok Captain Obvious (Bryz)....what are you going to do about it now to help the team avoid being terminated? Let's see you raise that save percentage....

Old
03-12-2013, 01:24 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
-Dave Issac
Bryz has always known to be candid. And he's right. Even if we lose both games 1-0 or 2-1 with Bryz standing on his head, the season is over.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:28 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Bryz has always known to be candid. And he's right. Even if we lose both games 1-0 or 2-1 with Bryz standing on his head, the season is over.
Actually, it's not, and it's this kind of defeatist attitude that leads to some of the goals and him just giving up on plays when he thinks there's a very low chance he might get it. Case in point was Schenn's save the other day. Most goalies would lunge at the puck, because all they have to lose is a bit of energy, whereas he seemingly decided in that instant that the puck was in the net anyway and he's just going to stay put.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:31 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryker View Post
Actually, it's not, and it's this kind of defeatist attitude that leads to some of the goals and him just giving up on plays when he thinks there's a very low chance he might get it. Case in point was Schenn's save the other day. Most goalies would lunge at the puck, because all they have to lose is a bit of energy, whereas he seemingly decided in that instant that the puck was in the net anyway and he's just going to stay put.
Flyers are currently 12-14-1, which comes out to 25 points. If they go down 2 games and be 12-16-1, with 19 games left to go, they'd have to go 15-4 to get a realistic playoff spot (27-20-1). Do you see that happening with the consistency of this team?

I understand it's a problem mentally when something like this happens. It makes you lose energy and eagerness. But you can't ignore what they'd have to pull off to get in.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
if the flyers lose the next two games in regulation they would need to go something like 15 and 4 over the final 19. That's not happening. they still have a game against the pens, two against the bruins i think another two against the rangers etc. It is pretty much over if it comes to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
You never like to hear that from any player but i'm sure some will consider him saying that a "sign" that he's given up or something even though it's the truth.
nice call there Flyersfan61290

Old
03-12-2013, 01:34 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:

so we lose the next two. then what? then he continues to play like ****. but its ok because he said we were already done. please buyout this clown

Old
03-12-2013, 01:35 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
That's the thing that concerns me a bit....his woe is us lamentations are not very inspiring. There is a way of being a realist but still coming off as confident. True leaders know how to balance the two. If he looks lazy out there like he has been of late then of course we'll see a self-fulfilling prophesy. Right now this whole team lack confidence. Other team scores an early goal and their heads are down on the bench and they pack it in as they have admitted. They better wake the hell up..that Buffalo game was meh...they played mediocre and won. Good luck playing the upper echelon teams with that kind of play. Granted the Devils have been playing bad but they are still the Devils..

Old
03-12-2013, 01:36 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
so we lose the next two. then what? then he continues to play like ****. but its ok because he said we were already done. please buyout this clown
Read my post above. We'd be in goalie hell for at least a season or two. Worse than this year ever could be. I could even grasp the idea of being worse than the 06-07 season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
That's the thing that concerns me a bit....his woe is us lamentations are not very inspiring. There is a way of being a realist but still coming off as confident. True leaders know how to balance the two. If he looks lazy out there like he has been of late then of course we'll see a self-fulfilling prophesy. Right now this whole team lack confidence. Other team scores an early goal and their heads are down on the bench and they pack it in as they have admitted. They better wake the hell up..that Buffalo game was meh...they played mediocre and won. Good luck playing the upper echelon teams with that kind of play. Granted the Devils have been playing bad but they are still the Devils..
It's Hedberg. What do you want?

Old
03-12-2013, 01:39 PM
Ryker

Quote:
Flyers are currently 12-14-1, which comes out to 25 points. If they go down 2 games and be 12-16-1, with 19 games left to go, they'd have to go 15-4 to get a realistic playoff spot (27-20-1). Do you see that happening with the consistency of this team?

I understand it's a problem mentally when something like this happens. It makes you lose energy and eagerness. But you can't ignore what they'd have to pull off to get in.
That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Of course I don't see that happening, because I try to look at things realistically, i.e. in terms of what the most likely outcome is. But the chances of that occurring are non-zero and probably on par with the ones of a comeback in that playoff series against the Bruins. Just because something is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. But that's where you separate wheat from the chaff. When you give in, you've already lost, when you don't, you at least have a chance you won't. It's perfectly normal for him to have thoughts like that, but with him they overwhelm him and that's his attitude the whole time it seems, whereas some others seem to be able to brush them aside when it comes down to it.

In any case, it doesn't matter, even if he is saying this now he still might get into a more optimistic state if the two losses happen.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:40 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:
Read my post above. We'd be in goalie hell for at least a season or two. Worse than this year ever could be. I could even grasp the idea of being worse than the 06-07 season.

It's Hedberg. What do you want?

really? I dont think it gets much worse paying a bum $5.7 million to have a save% below .900. top 10 in shots given up. bottom 5 in goals allowed. it doesn't get much worse than that. the guy stinks. ill take whoever

Old
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Quote:
That's exactly the attitude I'm talking about. Of course I don't see that happening, because I try to look at things realistically, i.e. in terms of what the most likely outcome is. But the chances of that occurring are non-zero and probably on par with the ones of a comeback in that playoff series against the Bruins. Just because something is unlikely to happen doesn't mean it isn't going to happen. But that's where you separate wheat from the chaff. When you give in, you've already lost, when you don't, you at least have a chance you won't. It's perfectly normal for him to have thoughts like that, but with him they overwhelm him and that's his attitude the whole time it seems, whereas some others seem to be able to brush them aside when it comes down to it.

In any case, it doesn't matter, even if he is saying this now he still might get into a more optimistic state if the two losses happen.
Lose both games, we'd need to go 15-4 to get a realistic playoff spot. If we win both games, it would be 13-6 to get the same spot. I think this is why Bryz is called Mr. Universe, he understands and grasps the reality of things, even if it may not be the right time to say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dat sauce View Post
really? I dont think it gets much worse paying a bum $5.7 million to have a save% below .900. top 10 in shots given up. bottom 5 in goals allowed. it doesn't get much worse than that. the guy stinks. ill take whoever
Quick has the same SV% as Bryz and he operates in a defense first system. .897 SV% for Mike Smith and with a system that Bryz owned with. They cost less right now, but Quick is on the last year of his 1.8M cap and up to a 5.8M next season and for the next 9 years after that. Anyone huh? You want Leighton? How about bring back Esche? I'm sure he would be perfect for you.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:41 PM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
you dont want to see any player admit that. I wouldnt want anyone on my team to publicly admit to defeat if such and such happens. I do agree that I would like to see the whole quote.
I think the players know that they are running out of time to get things turned around if they want to make the playoffs especially if the Rangers win their games in hand on us. Losing these next 2 in anyway even both in OT/SO would be pretty crippling for their playoff chances.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
flyersguy33*

Quote:

hey you can't forget him trying to save the puck and dive around on the second goal 4 seconds after it was already behind him. guy has no clue where the puck goes when he actually does make a save

Old
03-12-2013, 01:42 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

No, I think he's called Mr. Universe because he went on a random rant about the universe on HBO.