HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Association Football Thread (New York Red Bulls, USMNT, And All Soccer Discussion)

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 01:50 PM
alkurtz

vCash: 500
Only became a serious soccer fan in the last five years upon my retirement and realized that there were European games on during the day (with the time differential and all) although my kids played youth soccer for years and I developed an appreciation for the game watching them.

The EPL and the Champions League were the main attraction for me. I wanted an EPL team to root for as it would give me a handle on understanding things (hockey was also a good analogy for me in coming to understand the game also). I would have been easy to pick Man U but that would have been like someone coming to the USA and having heard of the Yankees, become a Yankees fan (truth be told, I'm a Mets fan). I also wanted to pick a team from London as I've been there (have not been to Manchester). I was watching a Champions League game with Arsenal vs either Inter or AC Milan (probably Milan) and the Gunners were down 0-1 with only a few minutes left when Theo Walcott came off of the bench and scored a goal with his blazing speed. Arsenal scored another in penalty time and I became an Arsenal fan (little did I know what I would be letting myself in for!). But the attachment is not deep; the way I look at it is I found the team instead of the team finding me which is what happens when you grow up in an area and inherit sports loyalties from your dad.

I have very little interest in MLS. Though I will go to minor league baseball and hockey games I have no real desire to watch a third tier league when I can watch the best on TV. My love of soccer is just not as great as it is for hockey and baseball (though growing).

Another problem the Red Bulls have: they only really represent part of the metropolitan NY area. I went to Red Bulls Stadium once, a few summers ago to watch them play Spurs in Thierry Henry's first game. Had a great time, loved the atmosphere, and enjoyed being in a real soccer stadium. But, I live about 50 miles north of the city on the east side of the Hudson River and not far from the Connecticut border. It took me hours upon hours to fight my way across the GW Bridge and down the NJ Turnpike. Not a pleasant experience at all. I feel many fans north of the city don't go see the Red Bulls because of how inconvenient it is to get there. If there ever is a team in Queens, near CitiField, I'd probably give that a shot. Red Bulls Stadium is just not centrally located enough to be a "real" New York team home.

Today is the perfect example of how I became a soccer fan: middle of the week, middle of the afternoon, pouring rain, and Barcelona against AC Milan on TV. With the Rangers playing tonight, makes for a great sports day.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:30 PM
MidnightRanger

Send a message via AIM to MidnightRanger
Theo Walcott is the best player England has had since Michael Owen in his prime and honestly its just those two guys in my lifetime and probably before. But yeah Walcott is an incredibly gifted world class offensive player who England does not take full advantage of. I used to be an Arsenal fan in the 90's because I loved Dutch player Dennis Bergkamp but their stupid coach turned me off from the team. I still don't have an English side. Anybody but Man U.

And I agree about the Redbulls. They will always be the incompetent Metrostars except dressed like an energy drink now. The team is incredibly bad by MLS standards. At the same time, the league is still in its infancy. You won't really see it hit it big until 20 years from now when you can actually compete with some Euro leagues. Look as long as theres a salary cap you are pretty screwed when it comes to soccer. It keeps the big investors that now rule soccer from coming. I really hope the Cosmos get put in Queens. I am dying for that team to be resurrected properly and without the restrictions of a salary cap. I know people think soccer would die in Kansas City if that were the case but I don't think so. I think injecting talent into the league will make our players better and by association our national team. That is how Germany and Italy and Spain always stay competitive. I don't know what's wrong with England though, they have the best league but their team is pretty mediocre despite having a lot of talented players in key spots.

Last edited by MidnightRanger: 03-12-2013 at 02:35 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Fitzy
All Is Well

I don't mind so much people preferring foreign football. What I do mind is every MLS article or highlight video being bombarded with snobby comments, and every roll of the eyes in person when the league is brought up.

Also, Arsenal is nuts selling Podolski after one season.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
Theo Walcott is the best player England has had since Michael Owen in his prime and honestly its just those two guys in my lifetime and probably before. But yeah Walcott is an incredibly gifted world class offensive player who England does not take full advantage of. I used to be an Arsenal fan in the 90's because I loved Dutch player Dennis Bergkamp but their stupid coach turned me off from the team. I still don't have an English side. Anybody but Man U.

And I agree about the Redbulls. They will always be the incompetent Metrostars except dressed like an energy drink now. The team is incredibly bad by MLS standards. At the same time, the league is still in its infancy. You won't really see it hit it big until 20 years from now when you can actually compete with some Euro leagues. Look as long as theres a salary cap you are pretty screwed when it comes to soccer. It keeps the big investors that now rule soccer from coming. I really hope the Cosmos get put in Queens. I am dying for that team to be resurrected properly and without the restrictions of a salary cap. I know people think soccer would die in Kansas City if that were the case but I don't think so. I think injecting talent into the league will make our players better and by association our national team. That is how Germany and Italy and Spain always stay competitive. I don't know what's wrong with England though, they have the best league but their team is pretty mediocre despite having a lot of talented players in key spots.
You've gone off it right? Theres not a snowcones chance in hell anyone would agree with Walcott being England's best player in 10 years. He barely see's the national squad in competitive matches. He's far too inconsistant. The title of best England player in the past decade goes to either Terry, Gerrard or Lampard. No question.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
alkurtz

What about Wayne Rooney? If anyone reminds me of an NHL player it's Rooney. Intensity, emotion.

Boy, does Messi remind me of Gretzky at his peak.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:28 PM
MidnightRanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChipAyten View Post
You've gone off it right? Theres not a snowcones chance in hell anyone would agree with Walcott being England's best player in 10 years. He barely see's the national squad in competitive matches. He's far too inconsistant. The title of best England player in the past decade goes to either Terry, Gerrard or Lampard. No question.
Basically the three most overrated players of the last 10 years for the English squad. All of them tree trunks who cannot dribble or direct any kind of attack to save their lives if theirs lives depended on it. Lambard is a good complimentary midfielder who can score and I liked him but to be honest he was a good complimentary player, not THE guy which is what Chelsea fans would lead you to believe. Gerard is awful as a midfielder imo and it his age it looks sad when he can't control a pass or run past a defender, though he is a good dead ball player. And Terry was good at fouling people and getting away with murder and no doubt the most overrated of the three. All of them were stiffs. None of them world class players. I think Wellbeck, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Walcott, Cahill and Lennon are the future of that team.

Having said that its really sad they never took advantage of Michael Owen. He was the greatest English player I have ever seen. Brazilians had nothing on him. But they burned him in Real Madrid and then he got injured and was never the same.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:34 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayStorm View Post
Basically the three most overrated players of the last 10 years for the English squad. All of them tree trunks who cannot dribble or direct any kind of attack to save their lives if theirs lives depended on it. Lambard is a good complimentary midfielder who can score and I liked him but to be honest he was a good complimentary player, not THE guy which is what Chelsea fans would lead you to believe. Gerard is awful as a midfielder imo and it his age it looks sad when he can't control a pass or run past a defender, though he is a good dead ball player. And Terry was good at fouling people and getting away with murder and no doubt the most overrated of the three. All of them were stiffs. None of them world class players. I think Wellbeck, Oxlade-Chamberlin, Walcott, Cahill and Lennon are the future of that team.

Having said that its really sad they never took advantage of Michael Owen. He was the greatest English player I have ever seen. Brazilians had nothing on him. But they burned him in Real Madrid and then he got injured and was never the same.
not sure if trolling? Anywho... Galatasaray are through to the QFs!

Old
03-12-2013, 11:41 PM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
not sure if trolling? Anywho... Galatasaray are through to the QFs!
Did Drogba play? If so, how did he look?

Old
03-13-2013, 12:48 AM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

Quote:
Originally Posted by RussianRangersFan View Post
Did Drogba play? If so, how did he look?
Very good. he didn't score but was instrumental by keeping the ball up high when gala was on the ball rather than giving it right back to Shalke. In hockey terms it's like a center pressing the puck up on a forecheck.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:10 AM
SoftEuro4thLiner

Ummm, Y U english guys no Rooney for best player?

Old
03-13-2013, 11:01 AM
Emptyvoid

Quote:
Very good. he didn't score but was instrumental by keeping the ball up high when gala was on the ball rather than giving it right back to Shalke. In hockey terms it's like a center pressing the puck up on a forecheck.
I watch soccer, but thank you for the analogy anyways!

Great to see them get through though, I love it when other leagues represent deeper in the champions league.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:44 PM
MidnightRanger

I wasn't trolling about Michael Owen.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:14 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 145
Awards:
I just saw that Roy Miller ******** from a few days ago. WTF. He doesn't even know the rules...dumbass.

It's just pain.
Old
03-14-2013, 02:04 PM
nyrmetros

Metrostars home opener is in 2 days!

Old
03-14-2013, 02:05 PM
nyrmetros

Did anyone see the Champions League game from Seattle the other day? Yowzers what a comeback!

Old
03-17-2013, 03:24 PM
nyrmetros

Unfortunately the metrostars lost their home opener nil - nil.....

Old
03-22-2013, 10:55 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

This weather is ridiculous for soccer

Had such a good tweet about it too: "why did they schedule a #usmnt game at The Fist of the First Men?"

I know, I know, I'm so clever

Old
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
ChipAyten
NYR-LFC-NYG-NYY

MSG has the home and away side flip flopped on the score overlay.

Old
03-24-2013, 01:50 AM
nyrmetros

That USA game in Denver was epic. Everyone at work was talking about it today. Hopefully we can get in our next game on Tuesday in Mexico..............

Old
03-26-2013, 10:26 PM
NYSportsfan87
Thank You Eli

Let's go usa!!

Old
03-26-2013, 10:37 PM
Stugots
Kolo, Kolo Kolo!

Does anyone else think the Mexican coach De La Torre looks like Mario Lemieux?

Old
03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
Glen Teflon Sather
Like A Boss

Send a message via AIM to Glen Teflon Sather
Here we go with the diving. This is why I can't get into soccer

Old
03-26-2013, 10:44 PM
silverfish
KEVIN!

What is Mexico's game plan right now... Get near the 18 and dive?

Old
03-26-2013, 10:48 PM
Clowes Line
Cally's Chicken Parm

**** Mexico! USA!

Old
03-26-2013, 10:56 PM
Krampus
Call me Nils

Chicarito and Guardado >>>>> anyone on the US side