HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

It's Time To #FireTambo & #FireLowe

Old
03-10-2013, 03:49 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
Interesting stat I found...

Since 2005, the Oilers have won a total of 244 games out of a possible 598 games.

Dead last in the NHL - two behind the Islanders and three behind the Blue Jackets.
Can't win em all.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 03:51 PM
Distinct

vCash: 500
Quote:
Interesting stat I found...

Since 2005, the Oilers have won a total of 244 games out of a possible 598 games.

Dead last in the NHL - two behind the Islanders and three behind the Blue Jackets.
Embarrassing, laughing stock of the league.

Distinct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:00 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Distinct View Post
Embarrassing, laughing stock of the league.
I get the sense you need a bit of positivity regarding the Oilers.

Since the '05-06 season, they have the 5th most shootout wins.

So, there is that.

ChadSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 04:42 PM
nexttothemoon
light.end.tunnel

Quote:
I get the sense you need a bit of positivity regarding the Oilers.

Since the '05-06 season, they have the 5th most shootout wins.

So, there is that.
Do the leaders in #1 picks next.

nexttothemoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 05:22 PM
flashy
Fire Tambellini.

vCash: 360
Tambo is the worst GM of all time.
The man's total track record of 30th, 30th, 29th to a resume, has any GM done it?

In a cap league its almost unheard of to suck that bad.

flashy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:14 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustE View Post
conspiration hogwash. they genuinely thought (think) the smart approach was to tank and collect highend talent. (I agreed with this for 2 years, and tolerated it last year). they are just really, really, REALLY bad at their job of supplementing the rest of the roster.
I wasn't saying there was a conspiracy. I was saying that they made moves that were going to lower the payroll (going younger, especially with players on entry level contracts requires a drop in payroll - unless you're throwing your savings into premium older talent to supplement) while they expected (and got) a tremendous amount of financial support from the fans. It was guaranteed to succeed financially. I'm not saying Katz is using the team to pad his retirement, because he doesn't need it. I'm saying he isn't losing a penny on this, which makes the posturing over the new arena all the more irritating as well.

Quote:
its as simple as that. there is no 'let's trick them into accepting failure, so I can make money' nefarious plan. Katz made 600million more last year from Rexal Drugs. The Oilers' profits are to Katz about like you selling your TV on Kijiji.
I don't know the details, but I'll assume you're correct. It's more about the Oilers not losing money. Being very profitable is an excellent benefit and allows him to not require any massive changes in hockey operations. If you guys really want to force change in hockey ops, you're going to need to make that arrow move towards the red.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 07:17 PM
Tekneek

Quote:
Originally Posted by flashy View Post
Tambo is the worst GM of all time.
The man's total track record of 30th, 30th, 29th to a resume, has any GM done it?

In a cap league its almost unheard of to suck that bad.
So, as I asked years ago... What is more likely to be true:

(A) Tambellini is an ace GM who was denied his chance for many years;
(B) Tambellini is an ace GM who was just looking for the right opportunity;
(C) Tambellini was not looking like he would be good at running the whole show and everybody knew it (except for the Oilers).

I was leaning toward C when they hired him and nothing has happened to persuade me to change my view yet.

Tekneek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:09 PM
OilCanada92

The what if...

What if Tambellini makes a few decent trades like 1 or 3. But! Oiler end up 2 points out of 8th at the end of the season. Do you still expect Tambellini to be "relieved of his duties"? I think they still won't.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:11 PM
T-Funk

The only thing to get Tambo relieved of his duties is 30th overall, and even then I doubt it.

T-Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:12 PM
GreatMcKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 217
If they ended up 2 points out of 8th this year I think most Oiler fans would accept that.

GreatMcKeith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:13 PM
Valic
BOOOOOOOOOO

If we lose most of the games the rest of the year, I expect Tambellini to continue to be the GM.

People are kidding themselves if they think he is going to get fired if we bomb out the rest of the year, let alone if they improve.

Valic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:16 PM
McShogun99

For me it's either playoffs or Seth Jones. Nothing in between.

McShogun99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Gord
Tesla

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCanada92 View Post
What if Tambellini makes a few decent trades like 1 or 3. But! Oiler end up 2 points out of 8th at the end of the season. Do you still expect Tambellini to be "relieved of his duties"? I think they still won't.
let's make the "what if" in the realm of possibility. tambellini making trades during the season, let alone decent ones?
Katz looks like he doesn't care about the team as long as the money is rolling in.
I don't think Tamob gets fired unless the Oilers finish bottom 3 in the league.
even then I'm not sure of it.

Gord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:19 PM
Matt19Oilers

I would take 2 points out of the playoffs all day.

That means that we end up with about 52 points: 22-18-8

Meaning that from this point forward we end up going 13-7-3, in other words, that whatever trades he ended up making might have actually worked.

But at this point, even 48 points would be outstanding.

Matt19Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:20 PM
fysloc

Quote:
Originally Posted by shogun99 View Post
2 pts out of playoffs and win lottery. Win.

fysloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:21 PM
The Nuge
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Ya, give it 5 years and nobody is going to remember who was say 9th in the west, and who was 14th. You do remember remember a guy like Jones in your lineup though

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:52 PM
Moneypuck

It's pretty revealing what Tambellinis job has been the last 6 yrs. He's surpassed Lowe and Katz's expectations to date i'm sure. 5 yrs of assessing followed up with not addressing the major issues on this hockey club. Steve's nothing more than a member of this Blind Eye management group during this rebuild. Their intentions are simply, to rebuild this team up again with lottery picks. Tambellini has help this club land nearly 4 first overalls in a row. There's little doubt Syeve will be turfed at seasons end and Oiler faithful will get their pound of flesh/scapegoat. MacTavish will take over over this summer, and watch the Oilers finally punch that accelerator. Lowe/MacT will land a big fish (wow move) to help themselves get off on the right foot. I hope Kevin has learned from some of the many mistakes made during his time here, if he has, the Oilers should be fine/in good hands with the likes of 4,14,19,64,93 plus perhaps Drouin in a few weeks. Hall moves to the middle full time starting next season.

The last 4 yrs have certainly sucked as far as the fans are concerned, but if you look at it from managements perspective, they've succeeded beyond their expectations during this last 4 yrs.

Moneypuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:53 PM
Halibut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valic View Post
If we lose most of the games the rest of the year, I expect Tambellini to continue to be the GM.

People are kidding themselves if they think he is going to get fired if we bomb out the rest of the year, let alone if they improve.
I think the addition of MacT to the management team kind of pokes holes in your theory. They've set Tambo as the patsy probably since soon after they hired him. MacT can and will step in at some point; end of the season if they finish near the bottom, mid next season if they climb out of the bottom 5 this season and start slow next. They'll fire Tambo to appease the fans at some point and the real architect of the disaster will still be sitting in charge.

Looking at the remaining schedule I think they'll be hard pressed to get as many wins as they already have the rest of the way. The rest of March is brutal and April is only slightly better, looks like we'll have 3 games with the Flames in the final month to settle who is the worst in the west.

Halibut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
AlowlyMcOilersfan
Comrade

To me the biggest "what if" is what if we had decided to sign Smyth and not trade him? He played well for a few years. Maybe if he was in Edmonton all that time, he would not have had the same problems with injury. Maybe he would still have that lost step that we keep talking about.

Anywho, as for firing Tambo, it'll happen eventually, but Katz is more concerned about an arena than he is hockey.

AlowlyMcOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:05 PM
Koto

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nuge View Post
Ya, give it 5 years and nobody is going to remember who was say 9th in the west, and who was 14th. You do remember remember a guy like Jones in your lineup though

jumping 30 points from season to season is pretty damn rare.

youll likely need at least one 7-14 pick before you can make the playoffs. and every year there will be another jones.

Koto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:09 PM
OilCanada92

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlowlyOilersfan View Post
To me the biggest "what if" is what if we had decided to sign Smyth and not trade him? He played well for a few years. Maybe if he was in Edmonton all that time, he would not have had the same problems with injury. Maybe he would still have that lost step that we keep talking about.

Anywho, as for firing Tambo, it'll happen eventually, but Katz is more concerned about an arena than he is hockey.
Arena is done. Now it's about potentially building a arena with no one but tambellini in it.

OilCanada92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:52 PM
misfit
5-14-6-1

Quote:
Hahahahaha!

Considering his next good trade will also be his first, I'm comfortable in saying I don't think we have to worry.

If you mean, what if Tambellini showed signs of being a competant GM capable of building a winning team, then sure, keep him. But at this point, the evidence points to the contrary.

03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Horseradish

Quote:
If they finish 10th or better, no, he won't be fired, and probably doesn't necessarily deserve to be.

If they finish 11th or 12th, after the past 3 seasons, he'd be gone if it were up to me, no question (unless 8th to 12th were separated by like 2-3 points or something).

If they finish any worse, I will absolutely be FURIOUS if they don't can the chump.

Horseradish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
SeriousBusiness
T.Hall da man

I honestly think if we don't make the playoffs this year, Tambo is fired.

Or I'm completely delusional.

SeriousBusiness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
0ilerman
The King

How many more trade deadlines and off-season's do you give a GM to sabotage a team's future. He's made deadbeat signing after deadbeat signing, and inconsequential trades are a regularity. Without the horseshoe luck of drafting and acquiring our big 5, which any monkey in a suit wearing the "GM" name tag could have done, tambo might have put together the worst 5 year tenure that any GM has EVER produced. Seriously, ever.

0ilerman is offline   Reply With Quote