HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Old
03-12-2013, 02:51 PM
CanadianFlyer88
Knublin' PPs

vCash: 500
Peter Laviolette Discussion (April 28: Laviolette to return next season)

Philadelphia Daily News Article

Quote:
As for the coach, some believe Peter Laviolette's job was saved by Sunday's victory over the Sabres. I doubt it's that severe.

"I think Peter and our coaches have done a good job," Holmgren said. "I think our team for the most part is well-prepared."

With more time to practice recently, the power play has improved from its dismal start and the penalty kill has as well. But the muffed line change was not an isolated incident - Kimmo Timonen could be seen screaming at someone to jump over the boards as he came off during the Bruins game, for example. They also don't communicate well off the puck, and play tentatively too often, and for long stretches.

"Obviously, 'Lavvy' is an attack-mode coach," Holmgren said. "I think we have the players to fit that. Last summer we talked about changing our approach a little in how we defend our own end, and I think there have been growing pains in doing that. We need for everything to come together. We've seen it in bits and pieces but we need it to be on an every-night level. And that hasn't happened."

Laviolette gets the rest of the season to fix that, I believe. True, Terry Murray, a potential replacement, was fired after 29 games coaching the Kings last season. But that was an 82-game schedule, and new Kings coach Darryl Sutter left Murray's defensive system intact.

Could Murray do that with Lavvy's offense-first system? Hard to imagine.
First Thread

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 04-28-2013 at 07:36 PM.
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm one of Holmgren's biggest fans but he's clearly going mental if he believes that.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:14 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Paul Holmgren: " I like our team...(playing sub .500 hockey and soon to be statistically out of a playoff spot.)"

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccupySouthBroadSt View Post
Paul Holmgren: " I like our team...(playing sub .500 hockey and soon to be statistically out of a playoff spot.)"
what is he gonna say? if he says he doesn't like the team that's pretty messed up and everyone would be on edge cause they know a move would be imminent (coaching change or trades). i do find it amazing that he can say that with a straight face though.

what i find funny is how can he say "I think there have been growing pains in doing that" when essentially nothing has changed from last year. they're blocking more shots but that's about it.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:34 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Actions speak louder than words especially with Homer.

LegionOfDoom91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1865 View Post
I'm one of Holmgren's biggest fans but he's clearly going mental if he believes that.
There's no way he does. There's no need to sabotage his team's confidence by stating how much they suck, though.

If they were dead last with like 3 wins, I'd expect him to say "I'm happy with the team and players overall, they're doing their best, the results just aren't there."

You can't really believe much of what these guys say publicly...it's all a giant poker game.

03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
what is he gonna say? if he says he doesn't like the team that's pretty messed up and everyone would be on edge cause they know a move would be imminent (coaching change or trades). i do find it amazing that he can say that with a straight face though.

what i find funny is how can he say "I think there have been growing pains in doing that" when essentially nothing has changed from last year. they're blocking more shots but that's about it.
He might as well just shut up since we all know he speaks half-truths anyway. The product on the ice is obvious...he insults the fans when he engages in his perception management shtick. Anyway, I'm not surprised by what he says..he's doing his GM thing but his poker face is pretty lame anymore. Kind of tiring that this team is always mentally fragile..

Old
03-12-2013, 04:11 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
There's no way he does. There's no need to sabotage his team's confidence by stating how much they suck, though.

If they were dead last with like 3 wins, I'd expect him to say "I'm happy with the team and players overall, they're doing their best, the results just aren't there."

You can't really believe much of what these guys say publicly...it's all a giant poker game.
esp. when he has a history of saying one thing, then moments later doing/saying the exact opposite..

re. injuries/trades or what have you..

everything Homer says during interviews i take with more then 1 grain of salt.

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life View Post
esp. when he has a history of saying one thing, then moments later doing/saying the exact opposite..

re. injuries/trades or what have you..

everything Homer says during interviews i take with more then 1 grain of salt.
As you should with any good GM ! Its part of the Job to keep your cards close to the vest !Homer is a very respected GM for a reason.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:03 PM
Flyerfan4life

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
As you should with any good GM ! Its part of the Job to keep your cards close to the vest !Homer is a very respected GM for a reason.

yea i dont fault him for saying/not saying things in pressers.

part of the job to hide facts until u need to spill the beans.

Flyerfan4life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 02:18 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

Holmgren could of gone off the way Torts did last night on his team. That would of been. amusing.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
He might as well just shut up since we all know he speaks half-truths anyway. The product on the ice is obvious...he insults the fans when he engages in his perception management shtick. Anyway, I'm not surprised by what he says..he's doing his GM thing but his poker face is pretty lame anymore. Kind of tiring that this team is always mentally fragile..
Harsh to say the least, given their penchant for authoring some pretty crazy comebacks over the last few years. There are things to complain about, but being quitters or being overly fragile mentally are probably not the first that come to mind. Their record this season after being down is pretty miserable though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Holmgren could of gone off the way Torts did last night on his team. That would of been. amusing.
Torts is a boss. I know I'm supposed to hate the Rangers, being a Flyers fan and all, but they make it difficult.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 07:28 AM
StandingCow

I think if there is a change... Lavy and Homer would both have to be gone.... but that won't happen until the owners have given up on the season.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:35 PM
FlyersMania2

We all know that as far as I can remember the Flyers' org in general goes for an offensive-minded system. The problem isn't that entirely, esp since I don't think the Flyers are the type of team/fanbase/org to have a super defensive system, the biggest problem is that our system no longer works. It does not work against ANYONE. We have been utilizing similar, uncreative systems since Stevens was our coach. We dump and chase against Brodeur knowing he will get the puck out, we don't adapt against other teams - and now, the one team we had a successful game plan against (the Pens with getting under their skin) is immune (or was by the end of last game) to this effort.

Teams with far worse d-men, have managed to be good - we need to pick with 6 guys and stop playing defense roulette - it obv shows the lack of comfortability every game we shuffle it around. The D and goalies need to communicate better - we need a new system.

I LIKED Lavy but ever since our cup run and the loss of Pronger - our system doesn't work. I would give Murray a chance, I always thought he was a better coach than he was given credit for.

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:01 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersMania2 View Post
We all know that as far as I can remember the Flyers' org in general goes for an offensive-minded system. The problem isn't that entirely, esp since I don't think the Flyers are the type of team/fanbase/org to have a super defensive system, the biggest problem is that our system no longer works. It does not work against ANYONE. We have been utilizing similar, uncreative systems since Stevens was our coach. We dump and chase against Brodeur knowing he will get the puck out, we don't adapt against other teams - and now, the one team we had a successful game plan against (the Pens with getting under their skin) is immune (or was by the end of last game) to this effort.

Teams with far worse d-men, have managed to be good - we need to pick with 6 guys and stop playing defense roulette - it obv shows the lack of comfortability every game we shuffle it around. The D and goalies need to communicate better - we need a new system.

I LIKED Lavy but ever since our cup run and the loss of Pronger - our system doesn't work. I would give Murray a chance, I always thought he was a better coach than he was given credit for.

Yeah like it has been noted..the Flyers are predictable and it stems from a combo of lack of personnel and adaptability to what he actually has by the coach as you note. Against teams that play undisciplined and more open we can run and gun with them and come out on top especially if our special teams is clicking and Bryz is making situational saves on breakdowns due to the open attack style and b/c the forwards are not supporting the D men by keeping the space between each other tight. The problem comes 5 on 5 and when they face tighter checking teams who are disciplined enough to stay out of the box. The Pens showed that in the second period onward the last game we played and the Rangers were smart the whole game hence the shutout. Even against the Devils the last game they adjusted after Flyers blitzed them in the first. They tightened up and were more disciplined and came back to beat the Flyers like Pitt did and other teams have done.

The Flyers get frustrated with tight checking b/c we don't have really mobile D that can go end to end and open up the ice. Same with the forwards..we only have Giroux and Voracek who play on the same line. The D IF they gain possession of the puck in their own end without scrambling for too long b/c of a hard forecheck are pretty good on the first pass out provided the forwards are supporting them close-by but then if teams clog the neutral zone and check tight the Flyers are prone to turnovers. Then with teams like the Devils the dump and chase isn't as effective if the Flyers are even successful in gaining possession in the neutral zone from a first pass out by the D b/c the Devils have a 3rd D man like Brodeur to neutralize Lavi's savant like insistance on dump and chase!

Luckily Brodeur is injured so that might help the Flyers in that department this time around but they will still need to execute the other aspects...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 03-13-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old
03-13-2013, 04:11 PM
FlyersMania2

Quote:
Yeah like it has been noted..the Flyers are predictable and it stems from a combo of lack of personnel and adaptability to what he actually has by the coach as you note. Against teams that play undisciplined and more open we can run and gun with them and come out on top especially if our special teams is clicking and Bryz is making situational saves on breakdowns due to the open attack style and b/c the forwards are not supporting the D men by keeping the space between each other tight. The problem comes 5 on 5 and when they face tighter checking teams who are disciplined enough to stay out of the box. The Pens showed that in the second period onward the last game we played and the Rangers were smart the whole game hence the shutout. Even against the Devils the last game they adjusted after Flyers blitzed them in the first. They tightened up and were more disciplined and came back to beat the Flyers like Pitt did and other teams have done.

The Flyers get frustrated with tight checking b/c we don't have really mobile D that can go end to end and open up the ice. Same with the forwards..we only have Giroux and Voracek who play on the same line. The D IF they gain possession of the puck in their own end without scrambling for too long b/c of a hard forecheck are pretty good on the first pass out provided the forwards are supporting them close-by but then if teams clog the neutral zone and check tight the Flyers are prone to turnovers. Then with teams like the Devils the dump and chase isn't as effective if the Flyers are even successful in gaining possession in the neutral zone from a first pass out by the D b/c the Devils have a 3rd D man like Brodeur to neutralize Lavi's savant like insistance on dump and chase!

Luckily Brodeur is injured so that might help the Flyers in that department this time around but they will still need to execute the other aspects...
Our D really isn't bad - they don't play well but I also think that is because we haven't had the right system/development. There is a ton of potential for them to be a fairly good defensive core - we just have to figure out how to maximize what we have for each situation/team.

Our team isn't responding right now for whatever reason and our system isn't effective. We need a change...we def need a new goalie coach as well

FlyersMania2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
Harsh to say the least, given their penchant for authoring some pretty crazy comebacks over the last few years. There are things to complain about, but being quitters or being overly fragile mentally are probably not the first that come to mind. Their record this season after being down is pretty miserable though.

Torts is a boss. I know I'm supposed to hate the Rangers, being a Flyers fan and all, but they make it difficult.
Over the years they have been prone to some really long bouts (pronounced losing streaks) caused by mental fragility. They have become less the last couple of years but now the Flyers can't win more than 2 games in a row.

Most of this year they have been lamenting their lack of effort and there have been numerous quotes of them packing it in after only being down a goal. This is a harsh truth coming from the players themselves...

This year they are really showing mental fragility and lack of effort. I mean it goes back to Stevens who didn't prepare this team right...they couldn't play 60 mins and it took Lavi coming in and a goal by Giroux and a stop by Boosh to salvage 2010. But since then they have still lamented about not playing 60 minutes and about their constantly slow starts. So yeah they can be classified as mentally fragile for the most part except that run at the end in 2010.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:22 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Pretty sure this is as poorly coached a Flyers team as I have ever seen. They are dreadful, uninspired, inattentive, unfocused, disorganized, and listless. It's time.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JXC View Post
Pretty sure this is as poorly coached a Flyers team as I have ever seen. They are dreadful, uninspired, inattentive, unfocused, disorganized, and listless. It's time.
Nah Stevens was much worse...but yeah this team is not well prepared or at least they don't care to be prepared for this coach anymore...

Old
03-13-2013, 08:27 PM
JXC
#LaviPondHockeyFail

Quote:
Nah Stevens was much worse...but yeah this team is not well prepared or at least they don't care to be prepared for this coach anymore...
I think it doesn't get "much worse" than this, but I think your conclusion is correct.

JXC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:56 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Laviolette's "SYSTEM "of a down syndrome....

Old
03-13-2013, 09:00 PM
ahthorne

Fire this guy. If I see another odd man rush from a defender pinching in a place where he has no business pinching, I will snap. He's worn out here in Philly. Doesn't help that he has to dress Foster and Gervais in the same game, though.

ahthorne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
SolidSnakeUS

At least 3 or 4 2-1's this period?

SolidSnakeUS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:02 PM
buff

Exept Voracek and Simmonds, nothing work with this team including the gm, coaches and players.

buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:07 PM
bauer

Lavy and Homer need to be fired, and Bryz and Briere need to be bought out. team won't go anywhere until that happens.

bauer is offline   Reply With Quote