HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 02:54 PM
opendoor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alflives View Post
He's already at the Tavaras level, or close. Hodgson is playing like other young centers, who are considered franchise type players.
Hodgson isn't even as good as Tavares was when he was 19 years old.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:57 PM
Bleach Clean

Keep scoring Hodgy. I want him to get a real good deal this summer.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:59 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
This year Cody Hodgson is tied for 6th in the NHL in even strength + shorthanded points. The only players ahead of him are Sidney Crosby, Eric Staal, Steven Stamkos, Chris Kunitz, and Ryan Getzlaf. Hodgson is tied with Martin St. Louis and Matt Duchene. That's some excellent company to be with. His defensive deficiencies are grossly overrated on here. Sure he's not the most defensively aware player in the league, but the kid can put up points.

03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
This year Cody Hodgson is tied for 6th in the NHL in even strength + shorthanded points. The only players ahead of him are Sidney Crosby, Eric Staal, Steven Stamkos, Chris Kunitz, and Ryan Getzlaf. Hodgson is tied with Martin St. Louis and Matt Duchene. That's some excellent company to be with. His defensive deficiencies are grossly overrated on here. Sure he's not the most defensively aware player in the league, but the kid can put up points.

Yeah. Good pick by Gillis. Do you think he will get a 5m+ contract, something akin to what they gave Myers?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Yeah. Good pick by Gillis. Do you think he will get a 5m+ contract, something akin to what they gave Myers?
I think the Sabres will try to re-up him at something similar to what Duchene got, but at the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised to see him at $5M. He deserves it.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Check out what Luke Adam did last year over the first 26 games while playing with Vanek and Pominville; virtually identical production to Hodgson both overall and at ES and he was better defensively. He ended up with 2 points over the remainder of the season and is now in the AHL.

Not saying Hodgson will tank like that, but it goes to show how fast things can change. Unfortunately in a 48 game season Buffalo might not have enough time to get a clear picture of Hodgson's abilities and Ritch Winter will make sure to exploit that.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
I think the Sabres will try to re-up him at something similar to what Duchene got, but at the end of the day I wouldn't be surprised to see him at $5M. He deserves it.

Excellent. He deserves it for all his points. After which point, if the team wants him to tighten up his Dzone play, we'll see how much of his contract he is truly worth.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
^^ Yeah, pardon the pun, but... Winter is coming.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Check out what Luke Adam did last year over the first 26 games while playing with Vanek and Pominville; virtually identical production to Hodgson both overall and at ES and he was better defensively. He ended up with 2 points over the remainder of the season and is now in the AHL.

Not saying Hodgson will tank like that, but it goes to show how fast things can change. Unfortunately in a 48 game season Buffalo might not have enough time to get a clear picture of Hodgson's abilities and Ritch Winter will make sure to exploit that.

No this is perfect. Hodgson is doing exactly what he needs to do in order to cash in. He will get his big contract and then the call will be for him to do everything else on the ice. At which point, we'll find out what Hodgson really is.

Old
dave babych returns

Quote:
I disagree with this completely. Hodgson has 21 points this year, none of which came on the PP. Meanwhile Bozak only has 14 (5 of which came on the PP). In fact, if I see this correctly, Cody Hodgson is currently 6th in the NHL in ES points this season. I don't see how he's only a #2/#3 guy on almost every team in the league.
Man, can you imagine a Cody Hodgson / Chris Kunitz line right now? Those guys would be tearing it up together.

Old
opendoor

Quote:
How can you possibly even consider criticizing the Sedins at $6.1M if you think Hodgson is worth $5M?

Old
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
^^ Yeah, pardon the pun, but... Winter is coming.
How appropriate lol

Old
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
How can you possibly even consider criticizing the Sedins at $6.1M if you think Hodgson is worth $5M?

Very good point.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by david999 View Post
Bottom line is Gillis thought he was improving the team with this trade. Unfortunately, like the impending goalie trade, it was a disaster.
Bottom line is he thought he was improving the ORGANIZATION by bringing in a piece it was missing. We won't know the results of that appraisal for quite some time. Gillis isn't just concentrated on making moves that make the team better in the now but also the future. Kassian was clearly more of a future move.

And really before we anoint Hodgson with franchise player tags let's see what happens over the next 20 or so games. If it's like his past 15 he's going to end up with 30-35 points which would put him at about ~0.6 ppg since the first 12 games of the year. Certainly not terrible production but as with Kassian and J. Schultz and some others he really cashed in early (first 10-15 games) while the bulk of the league were getting up to speed. A couple weeks ago it was "he's top 10 in scoring!" which now that he has fallen off the first page at NHL.com has turned into "he's got great ES scoring!" I may be wrong, but I suspect that to will drop off and he'll end up pretty firmly in second line type scoring despite all the icetime. Before anyone jumps on me that certainly isn't terrible. In fact it's quite good, but it makes the decision from the Sabres tougher when they have Grig and Girg waiting in the wings and when the offense is no longer covering for the defensive miscues. I do fully expect Hodgson to be looking for the big slam dunk O'Reilly type number deal. I very much question if the Sabres give it to him.

Last edited by tantalum: 03-12-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Man, can you imagine a Cody Hodgson / Chris Kunitz line right now? Those guys would be tearing it up together.
Cody is equivalent to Sidney now?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Babs

Quote:
One name you forgot to mention here is Kadri who is also tied with Cody here, but instead of -1 Kadri is +14 with 4 more pts. Therefore Nazim Kadri is better then Cody Hodgson. Agreed?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
How appropriate lol
And I imagine it'll be just as bleak and cold for him as the real thing if he gets his 5M and can't sustain his production while also not being willing or able to improve his play in his own zone.

Though Winter the human is still a tool regardless.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
One name you forgot to mention here is Kadri who is also tied with Cody here, but instead of -1 Kadri is +14 with 4 more pts. Therefore Nazim Kadri is better then Cody Hodgson. Agreed?
Given that Kadri is getting the same production with lesser linemates and fewer minutes, I'd say that puts his worth at about $6-7M if Hodgson is worth $5M.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
CanucksSayEh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
Bottom line is he thought he was improving the ORGANIZATION by bringing in a piece it was missing. We won't know the results of that appraisal for quite some time. Gillis isn't just concentrated on making moves that make the team better in the now but also the future. Kassian was clearly more of a future move.
Theyre 1 year apart age wise. Neither are more "future" than the other. Our biggest question is who will replace the Sedins.

If this is how Gillis plans ahead, he's probably not gonna have the job when that day comes.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:20 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post
Theyre 1 year apart age wise. Neither are more "future" than the other. Our biggest question is who will replace the Sedins.

If this is how Gillis plans ahead, he's probably not gonna have the job when that day comes.
It is? Sedins have good 4 years of this type of play in them, if not more. There's absolutely no sign of decline right now, if anything they're playing their best hockey since 10-11 while the team around them is playing like crap. Considering they rely on no physical tools but rather on their smarts, I see no reason for a decline any time soon.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:23 PM
Nuck This

Mark Messier wore a C most of his career does that make him a saint?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:25 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuck This View Post
Mark Messier wore a C most of his career does that make him a saint?
He is a hall of famer with many cup rings and considered top 10 hockey player of all time. Who's comparing Hodgson to Messier now? they are nothing alike.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
tantalum

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanucksSayEh View Post

1 year is a big difference at that age. Kassian btw has produced at essentially the same clip that Hodgson did his first 20 or so games last year. It was certainly not a trade to give the team a boost last season, but then I've explained the timing of the trade several time so I won't go there again.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:28 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babs View Post
Except Kadri isn't tied with Cody in terms of ES + SHP. Although I will say that Kadri's production this year has been impressive. Do you really think Kadri will continue shooting at 20% though?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:29 PM
Nuck This

I love all the people here crapping on Gillis and making it seem like Cody didn't do anything. The kid asked for a trade and didn't wanna fight for ice time behind Kesler and Henrik. Grow the ***** up. It happens and it won't be the last time it happens here either. I'm happy we have Kassian and I'll think he'll turn out be a force. If a player doesn't wanna be here I'm happy Gillis has the balls to ship those players out. He knew the nerdy fan boys would have nerd rage. You'd think a player with such strong "character" as Cody, like the majority of you pointed out, would take his lumps playing on a cup contender learning from some of the best players in the world, rather than playing on a bottom dweller in an organization known for laziness and complaisance.

Closed Thread