HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Jets - General Rumour, Trade, Free Agent and Waiver Speculation (12-13 Part XII)

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by truck View Post
If Ballard is clearly better than Hainsey, why would anybody give the Jets more for Hainsey?

Why wouldn't they just trade for the clearly better and cheaper ballard?
I think he must watch a lot of Barter Kings where they take a stereo and eventually trade up to a car.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:30 AM
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Ballard's averaging less than 17 minutes very sheltered minutes a night. He is simply not the player you are describing, and he certainly is not a replacement for Hainsey.
He's playing 17 sheltered minutes a night because he's stuck behind two of the best D pairings in the league.

Apparently I'm alone on this, but Inhave consistently watched Ballard be misused in Vancouver and watched him be their best player in the ice during the LA series.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:39 AM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

vCash: 500
yah sully i think your alone on this.

the point being, if you have seen/believe ballard to be much better then he is but being misused, i'm fairly certain the GM vancouvers aware of that as well and won't let him go for scraps.

It's a nice idea, but i don't think van's silly enough to do it. realistically i see two outcomes:

1. your right. but if your right, and i'm sorry for not giving you the benefit of the doubt here, i'm going to assume the professional hockey minds know that as well and won't let him go for cheap.

2. your wrong. And he's looked terrible because he is terrible. and then we just end up with a downgrade dhainsey at a high cap cost, minus a small piece, but up a 1st.

I don't think the scenario where we get him cheap and he actually is an improvement on Hainsy is realistic.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:01 AM
almostawake

Quote:
Originally Posted by sully1410 View Post
He's playing 17 sheltered minutes a night because he's stuck behind two of the best D pairings in the league.

Apparently I'm alone on this, but Inhave consistently watched Ballard be misused in Vancouver and watched him be their best player in the ice during the LA series.
Yeah, I don't see it. He played decent in the LA series but he played more than 15 minutes in exactly one of those games (16:35). The matchups he drew were always the softest.

At this point in time he is what he is, a bottom pairing guy.

As far as the defencemen ahead of him in Vancouver go, look , it's not like they were all in place when Ballard was acquired. Since Ballard arrived Vancouver has gone out of their way twice (Hamhuis and Garrison) to spend big on guys to fill exactly the role you claim Ballard can fill.

At this point in time it's not just a matter of the clear top 4 (Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Garrison) being ahead of Ballard. Tanev is also ahead of Ballard and at various points in his tenure in Vancouver even guys like Salo and Rome have been ahead of Ballard.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Chris Nichols
‏@Nichols_NHLPool
#MNWild assign Mikael Granlund to #AHL. Similar situation to #Flames' Sven Baertschi. Mad skill. Huge upside. Needs playing time, confidence
Perhaps he is on the market now. Everybody knows non dominant 21 year olds are garbage and busts.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:48 AM
StronGeer
Just win, baby

vCash: 1337
Quote:
Perhaps he is on the market now. Everybody knows non dominant 21 year olds are garbage and busts.
1-for-1?

Old
03-12-2013, 11:00 AM
truck
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
1-for-1?
He isn't available, certainly not for cheap.

#10 Hockey's Future prospect
#4 Hockey Prospectus prospect

Old
03-12-2013, 11:49 AM
ps241
Jets will fly 4 Ever

vCash: 50
Quote:
And unlike his draft class neighbor Burmi Granlund has been brought along slowly......go figure

I think they will both be just fine eventually.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
Flair Hay

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostawake View Post
Yeah, I don't see it. He played decent in the LA series but he played more than 15 minutes in exactly one of those games (16:35). The matchups he drew were always the softest.

At this point in time he is what he is, a bottom pairing guy.

As far as the defencemen ahead of him in Vancouver go, look , it's not like they were all in place when Ballard was acquired. Since Ballard arrived Vancouver has gone out of their way twice (Hamhuis and Garrison) to spend big on guys to fill exactly the role you claim Ballard can fill.

At this point in time it's not just a matter of the clear top 4 (Edler, Bieksa, Hamhuis and Garrison) being ahead of Ballard. Tanev is also ahead of Ballard and at various points in his tenure in Vancouver even guys like Salo and Rome have been ahead of Ballard.
Don't worry sully I'm with you! Ballard will fetch a lower return because his contract exceeds his value to a contending team. Hainsey is UFA so anyone can acquire him really.

He'd be a good enough replacement for Hainsey. Better than anything on the market after Smid for LD. Vancouver will have to unload him with the cap going down so he could be had at a reasonable price. Just to note, Vancouver signed Hamhuis as UFA like a week after they traded for Ballard so it's not fair to say he's been replaced twice.

Ballard's not an awful defenseman. He was absolutely a victim of AV wanting to utilize his bottom pairing a certain way. With a partner like Bogo they could do alright together until Ballard's deal finishes and we can send him out to pasture if Mr. Trouba needs a spot in the top four.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:55 AM
StronGeer
Just win, baby

Quote:
He isn't available, certainly not for cheap.

#10 Hockey's Future prospect
#4 Hockey Prospectus prospect
Sorry, there was implied

Old
03-12-2013, 01:02 PM
sully1410
#BandOfBeavers

vCash: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhay1987 View Post
Don't worry sully I'm with you! Ballard will fetch a lower return because his contract exceeds his value to a contending team. Hainsey is UFA so anyone can acquire him really.

He'd be a good enough replacement for Hainsey. Better than anything on the market after Smid for LD. Vancouver will have to unload him with the cap going down so he could be had at a reasonable price. Just to note, Vancouver signed Hamhuis as UFA like a week after they traded for Ballard so it's not fair to say he's been replaced twice.

Ballard's not an awful defenseman. He was absolutely a victim of AV wanting to utilize his bottom pairing a certain way. With a partner like Bogo they could do alright together until Ballard's deal finishes and we can send him out to pasture if Mr. Trouba needs a spot in the top four.
Thank you. You explained that alot better then I did.

I was starting get a little misty eyes and defensive with everyone disagreeing with me. I was day to day with hurt feelings.

Ballard is definitely a polarizing topic on HF boards and there aren't a lot of people here that see his value. It's very much like Mason Raymond. He had a **** year last year because of playing on a broken back during the cup run(what a ****ing champ eh?), and every one was ready to take him out behind the woodshed and shoot him.

Back to Ballard, he's a guy thy has spent a good chunk of time injured with concussions and stuff as well...and it doesn't help that AV is a ****ing moron.

Its alright that people don't agree with me, and I posted with that in mind lol.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:03 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Hey guys habs fan just checking in, what are your teams most desperate needs?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:05 PM
StronGeer
Just win, baby

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
Scoring centers with size imo.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:07 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by StronGeer View Post
Scoring centers with size imo.
Would a Lars Eller be of interest?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
Quote:
The Bombers need a bit of everything and especially a QB and an upgrade of Canadian talent. The Goldeyes just won a championship so I'm sure they are quite happy. The Jets could use a #2 center to play alongside Kane and aren't trading Kane. Hopefully Scheifele will fill the bill. Thanks for checking in!

Old
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gump Hasek View Post
The Bombers need a bit of everything and especially a QB and an upgrade of Canadian talent. The Goldeyes just won a championship so I'm sure they are quite happy. The Jets could use a #2 center to play alongside Kane and aren't trading Kane. Hopefully Scheifele will fill the bill. Thanks for checking in!
Beaulieu and Eller seem to fill those needs I'd think, the first has the potential to be a serious PP and even strength QB from defense and Eller is the eventual perfect big strong second line center

Old
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
StronGeer
Just win, baby

Quote:
I like the size and the fact that he's still young. Point production isn't really there though (apart from the hatty he put up against us last year). I'd say if his vision and distribution are good, a Kane-Eller-Wheeler line would be interesting.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:12 PM
Grind
Stomacheache AllStar

Quote:
Beaulieu and Eller seem to fill those needs I'd think, the first has the potential to be a serious PP and even strength QB from defense and Eller is the eventual perfect big strong second line center
as you came here i'm dieing to ask...who do you have your eye on?

i will say this right now, do not ask about kane or trouba or bogosian. It will only take the conversation to an unfun place for everyone

Old
03-12-2013, 03:14 PM
StronGeer
Just win, baby

Quote:

Old
03-12-2013, 03:14 PM
tacogeoff

vCash: 460
Quote:
Meh. he seems pretty spotty on the point production. 5 points in 13 games but they all came in two games. He is decent and may have a good future but I guess that would depend what you are after for a return.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:15 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

i will say this right now, do not ask about kane or trouba or bogosian. It will only take the conversation to an unfun place for everyone
Au contraire. I find those convos lots of fun.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:16 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grind View Post

I had my eye on Kane at first but reading more into all the threads you guys are given a really bad rep of hating him in other threads, a good conciliation prize would be the big boy I think. Kinda fills a need we have any interest in his departure? And just for discussion purposes no package would be of interest for Kane?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:19 PM
DespoticNewt

Quote:
I had my eye on Kane at first but reading more into all the threads you guys are given a really bad rep of hating him in other threads, a good conciliation prize would be the big boy I think. Kinda fills a need we have any interest in his departure? And just for discussion purposes no package would be of interest for Kane?
Would have to overpay for Kane by a significant margin.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:21 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DespoticNewt View Post
Would have to overpay for Kane by a significant margin.
Alright understood what about Byfuglien?

Old
03-12-2013, 03:21 PM
veganhunter
Mexico City Coyotes!

vCash: 891
Quote:
Max Pac (lateral move), Galchenyuk, and something involving the swap of Price and Pavs are the only things that interest me.

Closed Thread