HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

OT Sacramento looking to finance new arena; UPD NBA rejects relocation to Seattle bid

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 01:13 AM
Nuclear SUV

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clowe Me View Post
Nothing.

Some want to write this deal off as a done deal for Seattle, when it is anything but that at this point.
Your evidence?

The PSA, cashing of the $30,000,000, the strength of the Seattle group and market, and anti-trust make it a done deal. You seriously think the vote to approve the sale is going to be anything short of unanimous?

Old
03-12-2013, 08:35 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuclear SUV View Post
Your evidence?

The PSA, cashing of the $30,000,000, the strength of the Seattle group and market, and anti-trust make it a done deal. You seriously think the vote to approve the sale is going to be anything short of unanimous?
The vote to move the Sonics to OKC wasn't unanimous. It was close but to assume it would be is just screaming that you like to make very loud and strong assumptions.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:09 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Nothing.

Some want to write this deal off as a done deal for Seattle, when it is anything but that at this point.
Its not a 100.00% done deal, But the Priority ticket Waiting list is just another step in the process. I think everything Hansen does at this point, the NBA knows about.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:16 AM
maruk14

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdeluxe View Post
Its not a 100.00% done deal, But the Priority ticket Waiting list is just another step in the process. I think everything Hansen does at this point, the NBA knows about.
Its not 100% but it is about as close to 100% at this point in the process as you can get and the spin from Sacto is getting desperate, which is ironic, given how they are trying to paint this ticket waitlist as desperation from the Seattle side. Think about it clearly and this is what you get:

- Sacto is $100MM short of even being in consideration at the BOG meeeting.
- Seattle is starting up a priority ticket waitlist.

Which position would you rather be in?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:46 AM
bosshogg18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The vote to move the Sonics to OKC wasn't unanimous. It was close but to assume it would be is just screaming that you like to make very loud and strong assumptions.
There were only 2 who voted aganst the move. One being Paul Allen, who lives in the Seattle area, and is the owner of the Seahawks and Sounders. The other being Mark Cuban, who was fueding with Stern at the time and also saw that Seattle was in the NBA for 41 years and showed his support. You are not going to see Allen or Cuban vote Seattle down.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:12 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosshogg18 View Post
There were only 2 who voted aganst the move. One being Paul Allen, who lives in the Seattle area, and is the owner of the Seahawks and Sounders. The other being Mark Cuban, who was fueding with Stern at the time and also saw that Seattle was in the NBA for 41 years and showed his support. You are not going to see Allen or Cuban vote Seattle down.
I'm guessing Cuban didn't want a team so close to him and eating up his market share.

And even Allen didn't vote no, he abstained.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:13 AM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by maruk14 View Post
Its not 100% but it is about as close to 100% at this point in the process as you can get and the spin from Sacto is getting desperate, which is ironic, given how they are trying to paint this ticket waitlist as desperation from the Seattle side. Think about it clearly and this is what you get:

- Sacto is $100MM short of even being in consideration at the BOG meeeting.
- Seattle is starting up a priority ticket waitlist.

Which position would you rather be in?
Obviously 100+ million down and no arena deal is the better position to be in.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:06 PM
Clowe Me

vCash: 50
Quote:
Your evidence?

Your "evidence" is just opinion and minor money. The 30 million was to be paid if the deal goes through or not. That is done and over with. Burkle was part of the arena group that was approved by Stern that would have kept the Kings in Sacramento with a new arena. It was the Maloofs who backed out of the agreement when their small amount of the arena payment was due, not Burkle or Stern. Also, if the owners do block the deal to Seattle, the Maloof's will be all but forced to sale locally. Stern doesn't like their cheap ways and the way they handled the deal last year.

Also, Sacramento isn't some dinky market. Sacramento MSA is the 25th biggest in the country and would be the biggest without a pro team if they do move. Seattle is 15th, with the Sounders, Mariners, Seahawks, WNBA, and potentially the Sonics back. Sacramento has the advantage in the fact that the market isn't saturated by a bunch of other sports.

Yes, Seattle has the advantage in the fact that they do have a deal and arena deal in place, but Sacramento still has over a month to get their deals done. If that happens, it comes down to a vote amongst the owners, who will have the decision if they want to allow the sale to the Seattle group or if they want to keep the team in their current market. Keep in mind that Seattle needs 23 of the 30 owners to approve it, not just a simple majority.

That said, I think the team will end up in Seattle, but to say the deal is done and over with is simply a lie from Seatte-ites wanting a team back.

As for anti-trust, there is going to be a law suit, no matter what the NBA decides. The Maloof's never allowed the current minority owners a chance to buy the team.

Last edited by Clowe Me: 03-12-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 02:07 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
Obviously 100+ million down and no arena deal is the better position to be in.
That money can be easily amended to the deal. That isn't a factor. Getting the arena deal and 8 "no" votes for the move to Seattle is the real issue for Sacramento.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:29 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
The vote to move the Sonics to OKC wasn't unanimous.
The no votes:

-The owner of the Seattle Seahawks
-Maverick Mark Cuban

Cuban's beef was moving from big market to small market. Like I said, unanimous.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Your "evidence" is just opinion and minor money.
False. My evidence is:

- Signed PSA with a solid, sought after ownership group
- Past precedence
- Anti-trust

It is a done deal. The best Sacramento can hope for a Charlotte like deal.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:35 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
Your "evidence" is just opinion and minor money. The 30 million was to be paid if the deal goes through or not.
I think you under estimate the importance of that 30 million dollar non-refundable deposit.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:37 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
That money can be easily amended to the deal. That isn't a factor. Getting the arena deal and 8 "no" votes for the move to Seattle is the real issue for Sacramento.
If 100 million could easily (easily? Really?) be added to the deal, why didn't they come in with that, if 100 million was so easy for them to get, why did they not bring it to the table. Clock is ticking.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
Clowe Me

Quote:
False. My evidence is:

- Signed PSA with a solid, sought after ownership group
- Past precedence
- Anti-trust

It is a done deal. The best Sacramento can hope for a Charlotte like deal.
No, it isn't. Just as they do in every sale, it has to be approved by the other owners. If Sacramento can put together a comparable deal with an arena (which they will get, whether the Kings stay or not), the owners will have to make a decision. This isn't Seattle/OKC where Seattle didn't put this type of effort in that KJ and co have.

Past precedence means nothing in this case. If, again, if Sacramento gets the arena deal and sale price to the NBA's liking, the Kings will have a case. This isn't a closed case, and this case is apples and oranges compared to a typical sale/relocation.

Quote:
I think you under estimate the importance of that 30 million dollar non-refundable deposit.
That money is irrelevant to the NBA. That was a deal between Hansen and the Maloof's, not the league.

Quote:
If 100 million could easily (easily? Really?) be added to the deal, why didn't they come in with that, if 100 million was so easy for them to get, why did they not bring it to the table. Clock is ticking.
I'm not going to share names, but I know one of the guys who is investing with KJ (has gotten me luxury boxes and courtside, but I digress), and he said this deal was a feeler to see where and if they needed to improve the deal. KJ has a lot of rich businessman from the Sacramento-area as good friends. Take my word that money isn't the issue.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:40 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

A little humor today from the Sacbee:

http://www.sacbee.com/2013/03/11/525...plenty-to.html

"Kings draw well on the Road"

Something the other NBA Owners do not care about.

Quote:

When deciding whether to keep a team in Sacramento next month, NBA owners will likely take into account this question: "Can I make money when the Kings come to my town?"

The answer is yes.

Quote:
The Kings are last in home attendance this year;

Old
03-12-2013, 03:45 PM
Clowe Me

By a whopping 75 tickets/game.

You do realize that the Kings outdrew the Sonics the entire 2000's while they were still in Seattle, right?

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2001

you can check each year through 2008.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:47 PM
gstommylee

Quote:
No, it isn't. Just as they do in every sale, it has to be approved by the other owners. If Sacramento can put together a comparable deal with an arena (which they will get, whether the Kings stay or not), the owners will have to make a decision. This isn't Seattle/OKC where Seattle didn't put this type of effort in that KJ and co have.

Past precedence means nothing in this case. If, again, if Sacramento gets the arena deal and sale price to the NBA's liking, the Kings will have a case. This isn't a closed case, and this case is apples and oranges compared to a typical sale/relocation.

That money is irrelevant to the NBA. That was a deal between Hansen and the Maloof's, not the league.

I'm not going to share names, but I know one of the guys who is investing with KJ (has gotten me luxury boxes and courtside, but I digress), and he said this deal was a feeler to see where and if they needed to improve the deal. KJ has a lot of rich businessman from the Sacramento-area as good friends. Take my word that money isn't the issue.
Its unprecedented for the BOG to vote down a sale for NON money issues.

So you want owners telling other owners who they can't sell to? That is exactly whats going to happen if BOG votes down Hansen's deal which will make it that much harder for those owners that said no to sell their franchises later.

A feeler thats BS. They had to match the offer and yet they haven't. They know what hansen's offer is. The 525m figure has been publicly known for weeks. That is no excuse to make a low ball offer like that.

If the money is there then why did they not make the matching offer in the first place? ~100m is not easy to make up in 3 weeks.

Last edited by gstommylee: 03-12-2013 at 04:05 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:

You do realize that the Kings outdrew the Sonics the entire 2000's while they were still in Seattle, right?
I don't think you realize that Seattle had one of the smallest arenas in the league.

Where are your fans now? In our last years we were outdrawing your last years. They will go from bottom in the NBA in attendance this year to sell outs in Seattle next year.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
No, it isn't. Just as they do in every sale, it has to be approved by the other owners. If Sacramento can put together a comparable deal with an arena (which they will get, whether the Kings stay or not), the owners will have to make a decision.
Wrong. They have to approve the Hansen deal, which they will. The Hansen group is first rate, has an arena deal, and no red flags. It will be unanimous.

Everything Sacramento is doing now is to get a promise for a franchise. They are not keeping the current one. It is too late. It became too late when the PSA was inked. That's the reality we in Seattle know. The sooner you understand this reality, the sooner you can come to terms.

Quote:
This isn't Seattle/OKC where Seattle didn't put this type of effort in that KJ and co have.
Nonsense. CEO of Microsoft and founder/CEO of Costco teamed up. But again, too late, the PSA was signed by the lying Okies.

Quote:
Past precedence means nothing in this case. If, again, if Sacramento gets the arena deal and sale price to the NBA's liking, the Kings will have a case.

...for an expansion guarantee like Charlotte.

They are not keeping the current franchise. It is too late!

Old
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:

http://espn.go.com/nba/attendance/_/year/2001

you can check each year through 2008.

Last 5 years that the Sonics were in Seattle vs last 5 years of Kings

You can always have fun with stats.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
superdeluxe
Seattle SuperSonics

Quote:
and he said this deal was a feeler to see where and if they needed to improve the deal. KJ has a lot of rich businessman from the Sacramento-area as good friends. Take my word that money isn't the issue.
How in their right mind did they think the owners would be okay with 100 million less than the Seattle group? This also does not include the 75$ million rumored relocation fee. So in reality a 175 million dollar bump to either valuation of their teams and additional $$$ for owners pockets

Old
03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
nwpensfan

Quote:

Do you really think Hansen would agree to a $30M guarantee without having first talked to the NBA about his chances if the Maloofs agreed to the PSA? And if you think that money is irrelevant to the NBA when it comes to a potential owner dealing with one that Stern would love to see gone than you are fooling yourself.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:05 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
The no votes:

-The owner of the Seattle Seahawks
-Maverick Mark Cuban

Cuban's beef was moving from big market to small market. Like I said, unanimous.
actually, Nuclear,Paul Allen and Vulcan Sports/Entertainment own the Rose Garden and the Portland Trail Blazers, hence why he has a vote on relocation/business, that's why Allen couldn't buy the Sonics because he already owns the Blazers, in addition to the Seahawks/Sounders/Centurylink Field, etc.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:11 PM
Nuclear SUV

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRDANHUTCH View Post
actually, Nuclear,Paul Allen and Vulcan Sports/Entertainment own the Rose Garden and the Portland Trail Blazers, hence why he has a vote on relocation/business, that's why Allen couldn't buy the Sonics because he already owns the Blazers, in addition to the Seahawks/Sounders/Centurylink Field, etc.
Him being owner of Seahawks, who's #1 customer are Seattle sports fans, didn't want to piss off Seattle sports fans.

...also, in the future, just assume everyone in Seattle knows who Paul Allen is and what he owns. Hope this helps.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:23 PM
bluesfan94
#BackesforSelke

Quote:
Him being owner of Seahawks, who's #1 customer are Seattle sports fans, didn't want to piss off Seattle sports fans.

...also, in the future, just assume everyone in Seattle knows who Paul Allen is and what he owns. Hope this helps.
Wasn't the Supersonics/TrailBlazers a good rivalry too? That adds another reason to vote no. Not to piss off his customers for his other franchises and ensuring a rivalry continues

Closed Thread