HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

University/College Questions Part IV

Old
02-21-2013, 08:32 PM
DAChampion

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Load of crap IMO. If I'm gonna skip class it's not cuz i'm downtown. I just won't show up at all. Honestly, many people fear that. "Oh no, I'm dtown, i'll skip!" nah...if you dont wanna go, you just wont get out of bed at all.

As good as clubs can be I find there's no problem waiting till university level. Honestly, you get to know people in your program better and can network better at that level with student organizations and all that. This shouldn't really be a huge factor at cegep level unless someone really wants it to be.
1) time is the most precious commodity in life. Commuting 30 and not 60 minutes each way is incredibly valuable.

2) I don't refer to making friends and meeting people as "networking", i find that pretty shallow actually.

If you do things because you enjoy them, be it the tennis, boxing, debating or anime club, you will get a lot more out of it than if you do things to "network". You're more natural and interesting if you give a genuine damn.

If there's a meeting with 150 Peter Keating types in 200$ suits passing out their business cards and pretending to care, you can go, but it will not be very efficient.

Let's make up an example: squash. It is the most popular sport in the finance world. If you're good at squash, you will carry a lot of mileage just from the resulting respect and people wanting to play against you. Who is more likely to achieve that: someone who picks up the sport at 25 to "network" like some social parasite, or someone who starts obsessing over it because he loves it?

I strongly suggest making clubs an extra curriculars a top priority to anyone aged 18-25. It is a lot of fun, keeps you sane, and you will get as many benefits as you would from more classes.

Last edited by DAChampion: 02-21-2013 at 08:39 PM.
DAChampion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-22-2013, 10:03 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by LyricalLyricist View Post
Load of crap IMO. If I'm gonna skip class it's not cuz i'm downtown. I just won't show up at all. Honestly, many people fear that. "Oh no, I'm dtown, i'll skip!" nah...if you dont wanna go, you just wont get out of bed at all.
Meh, I guess you have a point. Although I definitely know a lot of people who went to Dawson, cut class to screw around downtown and ended up dropping out. I also come from the suburbs where people have literally never been to Montreal until they turned 16. So I mean, there's that.

But I do think that Vanier is a better school than Dawson.

InglewoodJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:39 PM
Mathradio
Go Roy Munson!

Turns out that York wasn't afflicted by Tufts Syndrome after all... which leaves me with the other two decisions still left to go.

Mathradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-10-2013, 11:08 PM
PyrettaBlaze*

My cousin is having a hard time finding past final exams... He asked me if I knew where to find recent Econ 201 finals. Do any of you guys have any? Or know where to find them?

Last edited by PyrettaBlaze*: 03-10-2013 at 11:14 PM.
PyrettaBlaze* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:24 AM
Adamcrazy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrettaBlaze View Post
My cousin is having a hard time finding past final exams... He asked me if I knew where to find recent Econ 201 finals. Do any of you guys have any? Or know where to find them?
I think they have them at the digital store in the LB building. Not 100% sure tho.

Adamcrazy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:03 PM
LaurentHabs
Galchenyuk2Collberg

Been leaning towards Vanier because I never really considered Dawson. And for the few times when I did consider Dawson [This might sound really absurd for you] I kept telling myself I didn't want to go there because of the shooting. For the past week, I've seemed to change my mind and want to go to Dawson now. I just feel its better. Coming out of a "top" private highschool with high standards, when I went to Vanier w/my bro it just didn't appeal to me.

The program i'm applying in (Commerce) has 250 spots in Vanier, so necessarily will probably have "better" students than Dawson (I suppose), who accept almost 2x more students.

I'm no Maths guru as well. I've had a 65ish pct average my whole highschool [until sec 5] I had 40% Math average in Sec3. But in Sec 4 i got 73% in My MELS exam, and 91% in my first semester this year(While also keeping an ~80pct average), those two last math grades are the ones the CEGEPs will see. I feel that since Vanier is a smaller school, the Commerce program could possibly be harder due to the condensed program, so consequently higher "grade" students getting admitted over the lower-graded ones. But this isn't really a determinating factor in my decision. Was just something I noticed to boost my decision [Changing my idea]

I probably live 10 minutes bus + 10 minutes walk away from Vanier and 10 Minutes bus + 20 minutes metro away from Dawson. (I live in Bois Franc @ Saint Laurent) So the location isn't really a big difference.

Im not the kind of guy to get influenced by partying/skipping courses to go shopping down town either BTW, which seems to be one of the potential main downsides for new students pointed out by a couple of people

Last edited by LaurentHabs: 03-11-2013 at 07:17 PM.
LaurentHabs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 07:40 PM
InglewoodJack

When it all comes down to it, your choice of CEGEP really isn't a big deal if you're going to University.

Old
03-11-2013, 07:54 PM
Garo

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
When it all comes down to it, your choice of CEGEP really isn't a big deal if you're going to University.
Unless you really hate the place. That's going to put you in trouble for University.

I do think that things would have turned out quite differently for me at an other CEGEP, though... But I doubt I'm in the majority on that one.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:08 PM
InglewoodJack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garo View Post
Unless you really hate the place. That's going to put you in trouble for University.

I do think that things would have turned out quite differently for me at an other CEGEP, though... But I doubt I'm in the majority on that one.
I guess I would've had a better time at another CEGEP, but the way I see it now, two years after graduation, it's just a little bump in the road. I'm happy/doing alright in University, and I'm more or less where I'd be if I went to any other CEGEP.

Old
03-11-2013, 08:12 PM
gunners14henry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamcrazy3 View Post
I think they have them at the digital store in the LB building. Not 100% sure tho.
When I took ECON 201 my first semester, I got all my past finals and midterms in the library building. They should still have them.

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:21 PM
MtotheO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 View Post
Hey guys,
I have a friend going in International Studies at UdeM. What do you think about that program? Good job prospects/salary?
What's your friend's name? I'm studying in that program.

MtotheO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:09 AM
Coldplay
Courage

Concordia prof strike incoming. Terrific.

Graduates are going to be hit hard by this if it goes down. Dwight can attest to that.

What I'm wondering - naive about the subject - how does that affect your record? Is your semester suspended or is it wiped clean as if it never happened because it's incomplete?

Coldplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:11 PM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldplay View Post

Graduates are going to be hit hard by this if it goes down. Dwight can attest to that.

What I'm wondering - naive about the subject - how does that affect your record? Is your semester suspended or is it wiped clean as if it never happened because it's incomplete?
It's a negotiating tactic. Either way, I can't imagine a semester being scrapped. Postponed is more likely. The logic to scrap a semester probably depends on the length on the strike.

I hope everything goes well. Would hate to have to deal with this.

LyricalLyricist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:

Yeah, it's pretty stressful

I do agree with the fellow above me. Can't see the semester being thrown away completely, and tbh, I'd be surprised if it affects the semester much at all. Negotiating tactic, but eh...as long as I can still see Muse on the night of April 23rd, then I can deal with it

EDIT: Did some reading and it's important to note that it's merely a strike mandate, so nothing's happening as of yet. They simply have the right to strike now (with 48 hrs notice).

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
Yeah, it's pretty stressful

I do agree with the fellow above me. Can't see the semester being thrown away completely, and tbh, I'd be surprised if it affects the semester much at all. Negotiating tactic, but eh...as long as I can still see Muse on the night of April 23rd, then I can deal with it

EDIT: Did some reading and it's important to note that it's merely a strike mandate, so nothing's happening as of yet. They simply have the right to strike now (with 48 hrs notice).
Dude no way, I'm going on Apr 23 too, haha!

And yeah you guys are probably right, shouldn't worry about it until Brent asks the class to give in the group project next week, gulp.

His point about the university probably playing hardball is what is concerning, IMO.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:37 PM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Dude no way, I'm going on Apr 23 too, haha!

And yeah you guys are probably right, shouldn't worry about it until Brent asks the class to give in the group project next week, gulp.

His point about the university probably playing hardball is what is concerning, IMO.
Agreed, hopefully nothing comes of it. For now, I'm just going about thing as they are - assuming nothing gets moved except the group paper (FML, more work).

Dwight is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Garo

Ah, teachers strikes. Loved it when it happened to us. Really.

Garo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 05:13 AM
gunners14henry

Damn Myconcordia is down. All I want to do is register for my classes

gunners14henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:07 AM
ChemiseBleuHonnete

loll it's funny how everyone here does to Concordia

ChemiseBleuHonnete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
Habitant by heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by franchise player View Post
loll it's funny how everyone here does to Concordia
I am studying at McGill (Physical Therapy).
What you said is true though, I feel like I'm alone at McGill on these boards

Habitant by heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:43 AM
InglewoodJack

Quote:

My theology teacher told us that this was a negotiating tactic and that it's more than likely that administration is going to back down really quick. I don't think that teachers are anticipating an actual strike.

As for what's happening with the semester, I've had a teacher say that we'll just have an extra week tacked on, although my friend's teacher discussed the possibility of using the marks you already earned and making them worth your total grade instead of whatever they're already worth which I can't actually see happen.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:30 PM
The Russian General
Força Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habitant by heart View Post
I am studying at McGill (Physical Therapy).
What you said is true though, I feel like I'm alone at McGill on these boards
UQAM here. I think Garo too.

The Russian General is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Coldplay
Courage

Here's my plan for the next year at JMSB - would appreciate any feedback on your experiences in these classes (if you've taken any) if you've got a moment to spare. Feel free to share your own roadmaps, always interesting to see how everyone's tackling them credits.

Summer 1:
THEO 206 (online) - GPA-boosting elective, helps me graduate faster (goal is Fall 2014). I'll need it after COMM 308 is done with me this semester.

Fall:
COMM 225
MARK 305 (previously 405)
MARK 463 - Retailing
AHSC 242 - "Leisure in Canada" online elective

Winter:
COMM 315
COMM 320
MARK 491M - Sports Marketing (my career aspiration)
COMS 361 - "Propaganda" online elective

--

I'm feeling good about this overall, but am a little worried about my COMM 315/COMM 320/MARK 491M cluster. I hear 315 is a tough class, and I know 491M is challenging. Wondering if I should switch 315 for COMM 225. I haven't had an issue with tough classes so far (save for 308, never taking a FINA class at JMSB again if I can help it), but I like to have a good work-school-life balance. Not a fan of loading up some semesters and keeping others easier, if you know what I mean.

Last edited by Coldplay: 03-26-2013 at 05:14 PM.
Old
03-27-2013, 10:31 AM
habscup

Hey guys I got in Mcgill as a mathematics major and I just checked the course load for stats major and noticed that it's basically the same courses except stats has about 4 different courses. If I were to do those additional courses would I be awarded a major in both math and stats?

habscup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-27-2013, 10:56 AM
InglewoodJack

If you want an easy elective, THEO 331 with Allen is a really easy, interesting class. If you're taking THEO 206 first (I didn't), then 331 will be way easier. I have just under 100 in the class and I have one test left. Multiple choice midterms with obvious answers, 45% is papers that are essentially summaries of videos you watch.