HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

2013 NHL Entry Draft Talk

Closed Thread

Old
03-11-2013, 07:14 PM
Sergei Shirokov

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Can I ask why?

If you say because McCoshen is a RH shot, I'm going to be very annoyed.

Also, why Burakovsky? He's disappointed just about every rankings this season, falling in all of them, and not making an impact at all in his league.

The only guy that is performing like a 1st rounder is Zykov, and I don't think he'll be there at 24-26 which where I think we'll be picking regardless of the fact we don't hold the division lead at this very second.

---------

Went to Victoria Royals vs Portland Winterhawks yesterday. I'll post a bit later about it. All I will say is, Jones has the same ability Nik Lidstrom had at knocking pucks out of the air. His hand-eye is off the charts. He honestly plays like a guy who has played in the NHL for 5 seasons. Smooth, effortless, head is always up, he never looks down for the puck ever. The only time he was caught out of position was when he was looking to jump into the rush and his teammate turned the puck over. He had one moment of looking human the entire game.

I'll touch on Petan a little later.
Because McChosen does everything.

He has NHL size, is very mobile, can QB a PP and has a nice shot, he is also great defensively and has a great stick.

Can play both units and be an asset in every situation.

He is going to be an allround top 4 defenseman, I think he has the potential to be a #2 or #3.

Him being a right hand shot is just a bonus.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Burakovsky has dynamic offensive ability and is one of the best skaters, his skating ability is really what drives the boat for him, so fluid and great at avoiding checks and backing the D off.

Then when he gets the puck he has great puck skills and a nice offensive touch both as a playmaker and a scorer, aswell as having nice poise & hands. He also makes plays a top speed. And he has game breaking ability aswell has great hockey sense.

Also isn't afraid to go to the dirty areas and do what it takes to score and win, him falling could be a blessing in disguise.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Zykov is playing well, perhaps he rises, but right now he is rated around where are selection is likely to be, and Carrier is on the worst team in the Q, possibly in the CHL, and he still manages over a PPG. He isn't my first choice but one of the guys I like, a real offensive dynamo that brings the power of a skill-PWF and his defensive game has improved.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jones is unquestionably the best player available in my mind, to me he plays like Shea Weber but faster, much more mobile and with a much better allround offensive game.

Petan I am not a fan of (in terms of us taking him) he has high offensive ability, and great acceleration, but it takes more than that more than that for smaller players to make it, he isn't very stocky and he's not a dynamo defensively, even his full out speed well good, isn't exceptional like you would hope it would be for a smaller player. I think a comparable is Tyler Ennis, but I don't think he brings the same speed or the same feistyness.

Last edited by Sergei Shirokov: 03-11-2013 at 07:28 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 08:23 PM
Huntershin Karuk
Horvat is Horfat

Anthony Mantha would be awesome at around 18th overall. 46 goals in 61 games in the Q and he's a taller guy at 6'2. 160 pounds has to be outdated.

Last edited by Huntershin Karuk: 03-11-2013 at 08:33 PM.
Old
03-11-2013, 08:27 PM
canuck4life16

vCash: 50
need a offensive center that size, skill, physical, two way, and fast, actually top 6 potential? is there any we could draft in bottom 20?

some top 6 wingers with size, skill and speed would be important

maybe a defenseman or two

Old
03-11-2013, 08:30 PM
Tiranis

^ That's pretty much Lazar, right there. Doubt he slips to us but who knows.

Old
03-11-2013, 11:44 PM
myrocketsgotcracked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
^ That's pretty much Lazar, right there. Doubt he slips to us but who knows.
the way we are playing, it might be that WE slips to HIM!

Old
03-12-2013, 12:22 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

vCash: 5555
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDK View Post
Anthony Mantha would be awesome at around 18th overall. 46 goals in 61 games in the Q and he's a taller guy at 6'2. 160 pounds has to be outdated.
He's 6'4, 187 lbs

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=104045

I am so unbelievably high on this kid. Anyone who's that big and can produce like he has...

If we have the opportunity to get him(even by trading up), I'd definitely want Gillis to do so.

Although I don't think it's really his style to do so.

Old
03-12-2013, 12:30 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vankiller Whale View Post
He's 6'4, 187 lbs

I am so unbelievably high on this kid. Anyone who's that big and can produce like he has...

If we have the opportunity to get him(even by trading up), I'd definitely want Gillis to do so.

Not a fan of the Q.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:01 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
He's 6'4, 187 lbs

I agree he is a stud, although he is one of those guys I could see rising, like Wilson did last year, he could be rated say 18 and I could see a team at around 12 or 13 jump at him.

Just a rare combination of size and offensive ability.

There are alot of good players available though, so as long as we keep our first we should be really excited to get one.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:05 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergei Shirokov View Post
I agree he is a stud, although he is one of those guys I could see rising, like Wilson did last year, he could be rated say 18 and I could see a team at around 12 or 13 jump at him.

Just a rare combination of size and offensive ability.

There are alot of good players available though, so as long as we keep our first we should be really excited to get one.
I can see some team him taking a bit earlier too (10-13th). Just takes one MG to fall in love with that package of goals and size.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:11 AM
Sergei Shirokov

Quote:
Originally Posted by me2 View Post
I can see some team him taking a bit earlier too (10-13th). Just takes one MG to fall in love with that package of goals and size.
Exactly, although like they say it takes one team to love one guy for the whole landscape to change, so maybe if he is taken and the landscape changes a bit someone else that is pretty highly regarded will fall to us.

Although knowing how MG likes getting bigger in the context of having a good offensive team (Mantha case and point) I could see him making a push.

Although even if he doesn't I will be happy if prospects like Burakovsky, McChosen and Zykov are available.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:00 AM
Askel

Not a big fan of Burakowski myself (and I´ve seen him live multipel times). My belief is that he is to much of watcher, he doesnt take charge of the play. He has nice size and skill but there is something missing there. I just dont see him as big contributor at the NHL level. At best he becomes a Huselius IMO. To much bust potential for my likeing.

Then again hes a young player playing against men havent seen him against his age group.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:57 AM
Tiranis

Not a fan of Burakovsky. The scouting report above is like miles from the reality. What Askel says is definitely true from what I've seen.

Not a fan of Mantha either. He has some tools, but he plays for maybe 5 minutes of each game. With that kind of work ethic he won't go anywhere at higher levels. Right now he can create for himself due to his frame and tools but at higher levels you need to work for that space and opportunities, not to mention playing on the other side of the puck.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:43 AM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

On a different(more optimistic) note, if we're picking at closer to 29th-30th overall, what do you guys think about Shea Theodore? I've heard some good things about him, but haven't seen him much myself.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:51 PM
Trelane

Nucks picking from the Dub? Theodore is listed as left shooting and so is McCoshen (mentioned earlier as RH). Funny, in my 20+ years of hockey watching I don’t remember the lefty-righty D issue being mentioned as often as now.

Nucks seem positively hung up on it and there may be something to it seeing as our D, always a source of concern, becomes more so whenever Bieaksa (oldest and most fragile) is out.

Edler, Garrison and Hamhuis are signed for perpetuity and there are significantly more LD out there to be had in trades or as FAs. I can see MG, being the philosophically overactive type, focusing on RH D men, particularly if he picks one in the first round, guys that are expected to make the show in 2-4 years.

Pulock is sliding, and Ristolainen might be in our range as well. But rating D men, being a more uncertain exercise, there are literally half-a-dozen guys projected to go in the 2nd that could turn out better.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
SiCKNESS

1st Round: Anthony Mantha
2nd Round: Jacob De La Rose
3rd Round: Mitchell Wheaton
Try to get in 4th-7th Round:

Old
03-12-2013, 02:36 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trelane View Post
Nucks picking from the Dub? Theodore is listed as left shooting and so is McCoshen (mentioned earlier as RH). Funny, in my 20+ years of hockey watching I don’t remember the lefty-righty D issue being mentioned as often as now.

Nucks seem positively hung up on it and there may be something to it seeing as our D, always a source of concern, becomes more so whenever Bieaksa (oldest and most fragile) is out.

Edler, Garrison and Hamhuis are signed for perpetuity and there are significantly more LD out there to be had in trades or as FAs. I can see MG, being the philosophically overactive type, focusing on RH D men, particularly if he picks one in the first round, guys that are expected to make the show in 2-4 years.

Pulock is sliding, and Ristolainen might be in our range as well. But rating D men, being a more uncertain exercise, there are literally half-a-dozen guys projected to go in the 2nd that could turn out better.
It's annoying isn't it? It seems to be unique to this forum.

Also, most things I've seen have Ristolainen top 10, is he sliding?

Last edited by PRNuck: 03-12-2013 at 02:41 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 02:40 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
It's mostly because of how AV and Bowness run their D. Plenty of teams in the league don't have that same issue.

Old
03-12-2013, 02:45 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
As in the Canucks forum?

I doubt that.

Why do you think RH shot defensman, league wide are more valuable?

Chara and Weber are more valuable because of what hand they shoot IMO.

Teams looks for specific handed players all the time (Colorado is looking for a LS to play with Pietrangelo, St Louis is looking for LS to play with E. Johnson, NYR rangers are after a RH PP d-man).

Same is said with centers. Right handed shooting centers are rare.

It's all about balance IMO. Same reason why Schroeder was sent down. He was the 3rd RH center on the team, Hanky was the only LH Center man (now Ebbett, Higgins, and Raymond have been tried there....making Schoreder's demotion justifiable in the context of team need).

Old
03-12-2013, 03:13 PM
PRNuck

Quote:
As in the Canucks forum?

I doubt that.

Teams looks for specific handed players all the time (Colorado is looking for a LS to play with Pietrangelo, St Louis is looking for LS to play with E. Johnson, NYR rangers are after a RH PP d-man).

It's all about balance IMO. Same reason why Schroeder was sent down. He was the 3rd RH center on the team, Hanky was the only LH Center man (now Ebbett, Higgins, and Raymond have been tried there....making Schoreder's demotion justifiable in the context of team need).
It's way beyond normal here though. There's people suggesting we pick up a concussion addled Steve Montador and his 2M+ cap hit purely because he's a righty.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:35 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
It's way beyond normal here though. There's people suggesting we pick up a concussion addled Steve Montador and his 2M+ cap hit purely because he's a righty.
Oh, I know. That stuff is a bit crazy, and I don't think it belongs when you're assessing draft eligible players.

You rate the players based on talent, character etc, not on position or handedness.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
He's 6'4, 187 lbs

Mantra has numbers of a top 5 draft pick and he's 6"4 to boot. We gonna have to tank hard to get him. I can see teams starting to look at him in top 10.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Vankiller Whale
Maybe HE can score

Quote:
As in the Canucks forum?

I doubt that.

I think you're a bit jumbled here. Chara shoots left, not right. And I think you mixed up which teams E. Johnson and Pietrangelo play with.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
I think you're a bit jumbled here. Chara shoots left, not right. And I think you mixed up which teams E. Johnson and Pietrangelo play with.
You're right.

I'm dumb.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
arsmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
Mantra has numbers of a top 5 draft pick and he's 6"4 to boot. We gonna have to tank hard to get him. I can see teams starting to look at him in top 10.
One thing that may go un-noticed is Mantha is a 1994 birthdate. He was one day from being in last years draft class. I don't think it's enough to discount his abilities, but the birthday thing is something I like to look at.

For example he's almost a full calendar year older than guys like Mackinnon and Barkov.

Just something to keep in mind.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:50 PM
BerSTUzzi

Quote:
You're right.

I'm dumb.
You used up all your power roasting me yesterday with your Hodgson for Tavares line....stupid me forgot the Shredder +

Closed Thread