HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hodgson Trade Discussion

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
Alan Jackson

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
After he was directly responsible for 2GA with his poor coverage. Clearly that goal made up for the 2GA, right? He went -3 in that season series despite scoring twice.
BREAKING NEWS: Young, offensively gifted players sometimes struggle defensively.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
Tiranis

Quote:
Originally Posted by y2kcanucks View Post
Well rookies do need to be sheltered defensively. We had a top C prospect in Cody Hodgson who was great offensively but weak defensively, and now he's on another team dominating as a 1C. We could certainly use that offense in our lineup right about now.
He was already sheltered and still getting exposed.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:53 PM
jigsaw99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Canucker View Post
Hodgson, Grabner, Mitchell, Salo,

Gillis has a terrible track record.

Also signing duct tape Kesler to a big deal, not getting Ryan O Reilly, signing Manny MAlhotra, signing Edler to a big contract, and not getting Justin Shultz are just to name a few.
don't mind losing out on Salo too expensive for someone so old and injury prone. He cant sign O Reilly.... there was a KHL loophole.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:57 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Send a message via AIM to y2kcanucks
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
He was already sheltered and still getting exposed.
By the best team in the league at that point. Look, we had our two highest paid players getting exposed in the SCF a couple years ago and yet they're still our top players. Just because a rookie had a couple bad defensive lapses while still producing offense doesn't mean he's not worth a roster spot. He's now developed into a top offensive player in the league, meanwhile we're stuck with a guy who looks lost out there and may even be sent down to the AHL.

03-12-2013, 04:02 PM
RezChi

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
don't mind losing out on Salo too expensive for someone so old and injury prone. He cant sign O Reilly.... there was a KHL loophole.
I don't know about Salo man, he was the one that really made the PP and Edler tick. I really rather have Salo over Garrison right now

Old
03-12-2013, 04:06 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

vCash: 250
It's really too bad Winter deleted his tweets. You should have seen the way he was bragging about finally 'forcing' Gillis into a trade... man.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanuck View Post
It's really too bad Winter deleted his tweets. You should have seen the way he was bragging about finally 'forcing' Gillis into a trade... man.
In fact, Winter stated they "never demanded a trade". I'm sure somebody took a screen shot of the tweets before they were deleted.

Regardless, they were idiotic tweets that reflected poorly on the agent, especially.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:09 PM
tantalum

Quote:
By the best team in the league at that point. Look, we had our two highest paid players getting exposed in the SCF a couple years ago and yet they're still our top players. Just because a rookie had a couple bad defensive lapses while still producing offense doesn't mean he's not worth a roster spot. He's now developed into a top offensive player in the league, meanwhile we're stuck with a guy who looks lost out there and may even be sent down to the AHL.
Through the first 12 games of the season. The past 14 not so much. And it of course ignores absolutely everything else that went on. But keep burying your head in the sand on that one. Two days before the deadline the Hodgson camp went to the canucks and asked for more icetime....Winter had admitted this in his deleted tweets. A teams on track to win a second straight president's trophy and coming off of a cup final the previous year. And the Hodgson camp tries to demand more icetime. I'm sure it was just a coincidence they asked for it right before the deadline.

So they asked for more icetime when the team is going well and he has some sort of role. He wasn't happy with his role. A rookie not happy learning the craft from better star players on a successful team. What happens when his role gets reduced further because they don't and can't protect him come playoff time? The Wings game was very likely a glimpse into the things to come down the stretch and in the playoffs. Sure he might score but he cost the team more on the defensive side of things. I really don't see how anyone knowing that can't see that the writing was on the wall for Hodgson. And please please please no one say "move Kesler to the wing". It wasn't going to happen. They instead tried to move Hodgson to the wing which we all know was hopeless. Had he adpated he very well may have received the icetime he wanted. He didn't and complained being stuck in the position he was. yet all we see is talk talk talk from certain people how it would be great if they still had him. Why? So he could STILL be whining about icetime? or more likely so he could demand a trade in the offseason killing his value?

Last edited by tantalum: 03-12-2013 at 04:24 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 04:12 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Never mind his quotes after the SCF where he talked about consoling Hodgson over his lack of minutes, or Hodgson's dad calling up Friedman to hassle him about how he characterized the situation. No, nothing going on there.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:14 PM
Barney Gumble

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Never mind his quotes after the SCF where he talked about consoling Hodgson over his lack of minutes, or Hodgson's dad calling up Friedman to hassle him about how he characterized the situation. No, nothing going on there.
But Cody had nothing to do with it - or so the apologists will tell you. It's always someone else.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:20 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Jackson View Post
In fact, Winter stated they "never demanded a trade". I'm sure somebody took a screen shot of the tweets before they were deleted.

Regardless, they were idiotic tweets that reflected poorly on the agent, especially.
Not sure if you were around when Wetcoaster still posted here, but he seemed to think there were early warning signs when Tony Gallagher kept insinuating in the media that Hodgson's camp was not happy with the Canucks, and that they were using him as a mouthpiece behind the scenes. His posts are still here on this board for all to see. i didn't want to believe the red flags myself at the time.

And, of course, it's still the client's responsibility to make sure his agent knows what he should and shouldn't say. He hired him after all.

But really, one only has to go back and watch the Oake interview to find out all they need to know.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
tantalum

Quote:

He followed it up with "but we did ask for more icetime". As I just finished saying it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out where things are headed when a rookie behind a Hart and Selke winger on the depth chart, on a President's trophy winning team that went to the cup finals the year before and a team poised for another president's trophy win starts complaining about icetime. Conveniently a day or two before the deadline. Hmmmmm....

Also it wasn't the first time because Winter has also said they had to talk Hodgson about icetime issues following the previous playoffs where he wasn't happy to be sitting in the pressbox or on the bench. And we aren't talking "I wish I could play because I really think I could have helped" type of complaint but "the lack of icetime is limiting my career" me first complaint. Hodgson simply did not want to serve his time on a good club that had depth at his position. It really is that simple. It might work out for him with the Sabres but he isn't free and clear on that depth chart either. They have Ennis, Grigorenko and Girgensons who are also all under the age of 25 playing center. Two of them are much bigger than Hodgson as well.

Last edited by tantalum: 03-12-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old
03-12-2013, 04:25 PM
vanuck
Griffiths Way Goons

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
Why did I never find out about Hodgson Sr. on Friedman until just recently? Was this from the Hot Stove or something?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:31 PM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by tantalum View Post
He followed it up with "but we did ask for more icetime". As I just finished saying it doesn't take a rocket surgeon to figure out where things are headed when a rookie behind a Hart and Selke winger on the depth chart, is on a President's trophy winning team that went to the cup finals the year before and is poised for another president's trophy win starts complaining about icetime. Conveniently a day or two before the deadline. Also it wasn't the first time because Winter has also said they had to talk Hodgson about icetime issues following the previous playoffs where he wasn't happy to be sitting in the pressbox or on the bench.
Yes, I'm aware of all of this. I've followed this saga as closely as anybody, and had concerns about how this player and this coach might coexist after Hodgson's 2nd camp here.

Reading between the lines, there were trust issues between the coach and player, and the player might have considered his future bleak under this coach. I don't blame him.

Immediately after Hodgson was named "Rookie of the Month" for January, AV said that his team needed "more balance" and Hodgson's role was reduced even further. This is likely why they were talking about his role leading up to the deadline, not because of any trade demand.

And even if the player did ask to be moved, so what? He was under contract and contributing, and you can move the player when it suits you, not when you're heading to the playoffs with a hobbled 2nd line centre.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:32 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:

You continue to marginalize Hodgson's Efense. He non-existent in his own zone. Not struggling. He was atrocious, and still is.

I think he's produced at the expense of everything else. Good for him. But you don't last long in the NHL, or on your same team, if you're that bad on D. His production will have to stay at this clip in order for him to justify his spot. Let's see if he can.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Barney Gumble

...nevermind.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:38 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Yes, I'm aware of all of this. I've followed this saga as closely as anybody, and had concerns about how this player and this coach might coexist after Hodgson's 2nd camp here.

Reading between the lines, there were trust issues between the coach and player, and the player might have considered his future bleak under this coach. I don't blame him.

Immediately after Hodgson was named "Rookie of the Month" for January, AV said that his team needed "more balance" and Hodgson's role was reduced even further. This is likely why they were talking about his role leading up to the deadline, not because of any trade demand.

And even if the player did ask to be moved, so what? He was under contract and contributing, and you can move the player when it suits you, not when you're heading to the playoffs with a hobbled 2nd line centre.

Because Gillis couldn't risk Kassian breaking out in a BUF uniform... AV couldn't risk Hodgson getting burned in the playoffs... and for many other reasons.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:40 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
You continue to marginalize Hodgson's Efense. He non-existent in his own zone. Not struggling. He was atrocious, and still is.

I think he's produced at the expense of everything else. Good for him. But you don't last long in the NHL, or on your same team, if you're that bad on D. His production will have to stay at this clip in order for him to justify his spot. Let's see if he can.
You make it sound like he's the worst defensive player in the history of hockey. For a guy who's an even CORSI, and a relative CORSI of 10.8 he appears to be not that bad defensively this year. In fact, he looks like a better defensive player than Marcel Goc who you for some reason want. His relative CORSI is a lot better than Kassian's despite much stronger competition.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:44 PM
Babs

Who here thinks Hodgson deserves to make as much a Ryan Kesler. Thought I saw someone mention that he deserves 5 mill?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:46 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Why did I never find out about Hodgson Sr. on Friedman until just recently? Was this from the Hot Stove or something?
It was when Freidman was on TEAM 1040 a few weeks ago talking about the O'Reilly situation and how his dad was meddling. He mentioned that Hodgson's dad called him up after the trade last year because he didn't like how Friedman was characterizing Hodgson's camp on HNIC.

Pretty funny that Cody's dad's idea of rebutting the idea that he's meddling in his son's affairs is to call up and hassle probably the most respectable hockey journalist over something he said about his son.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:52 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
You make it sound like he's the worst defensive player in the history of hockey. For a guy who's an even CORSI, and a relative CORSI of 10.8 he appears to be not that bad defensively this year. In fact, he looks like a better defensive player than Marcel Goc who you for some reason want. His relative CORSI is a lot better than Kassian's despite much stronger competition.

You did not just say that.

Hodgson's line seems to be going head to head with other team's top lines. They trade chances. Explains the CorsiQoC the top line has. But it also explains his stats are what they are. He's trading chances every time out, not caring about defense, just shots for.

Where is that stat that no player has been on the ice for more GA this year... Anyone have it handy?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:55 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
You did not just say that.

Hodgson's line seems to be going head to head with other team's top lines. They trade chances. Explains the CorsiQoC the top line has. But it also explains his stats are what they are. He's trading chances every time out, not caring about defense, just shots for.

Where is that stat that no player has been on the ice for more GA this year... Anyone have it handy?
That stat belongs to Blake Wheeler, who is another guy people have wanted on this team. Hodgson is also tied with a guy named John Tavares, while being on the ice for more goals for than Tavares this year. But I suppose we wouldn't want him either because he's not good defensively?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:58 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
That stat belongs to Blake Wheeler, who is another guy people have wanted on this team. Hodgson is also tied with a guy named John Tavares, while being on the ice for more goals for than Tavares this year. But I suppose we wouldn't want him either because he's not good defensively?

Do you have the location of where you got that stat for Blake Wheeler?

And Hodgson is tied with Tavares for total GAs?

Old
03-12-2013, 05:00 PM
y2kcanucks
Cult of Personality

Quote:
Do you have the location of where you got that stat for Blake Wheeler?

And Hodgson is tied with Tavares for total GAs?
http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...24+25+26+27+28

Old
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
Tiranis

Cody's corsi and corsi rel qoc have both been tanking since first 10 or so games of the season. So many conclusions being made based on those 10 games. Cody is just one of a number of guys who are about to get overpaid based on a small sample size and good luck.

Comparing his relative Corsi to Kassian's also makes little sense considering one plays on a team where your relative Corsi is based on the Sedins, while the other plays on a team where he's the high watermark.

Closed Thread