HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Sports > Basketball
Basketball NBA, NCAA, International

Current Heat team vs. 1996 Bulls

View Poll Results: Who would win the 7 game series?
2013 Heat in 4 1 1.92%
2013 Heat in 5 0 0%
2013 Heat in 6 2 3.85%
2013 Heat in 7 2 3.85%
1996 Bulls in 4 6 11.54%
1996 Bulls in 5 22 42.31%
1996 Bulls in 6 14 26.92%
1996 Bulls in 7 5 9.62%
Voters: 52. You may not vote on this poll

Old
03-12-2013, 05:10 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

vCash: 50
Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGuySez View Post
Rodman was a great rebounder and considering his size may have been one of the best inch for inch. He was still a role player. Great role player but a role player nonetheless.
Rodman wasn't one of the best "inch for inch" he was one of the best period.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:19 PM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morozov View Post
Rodman wasn't one of the best "inch for inch" he was one of the best period.
Rodmans ranked 11th all time for rpg. Guess you never saw Chamberlin or Russell.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:28 PM
Morozov
The Devil Killer

Send a message via MSN to Morozov
Quote:
Dennis Rodman — led the league in rebounds per game an NBA record 7 consecutive seasons, including a high of 18.7 rpg in the 1991-92 season. Rodman holds the top seven rebound rate seasons since the 1970-71 season. Rodman has the highest career rebounding average of any player since the NBA began recording offensive and defensive rebounds in 1973–74
No need to break it down to "inch for inch" as I said, one of the best period.

Note that "one of the best" does not mean THE best.

But if the above doesn't qualify him as one of the best by your standards then we'll just have to agree to disagree there.

Morozov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:34 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kershaw View Post
LeBron has schooled KG on multiple occasions, he has the most All Defensive team appearances. He's also mean as ****.
I assumed this was a prime on prime things, considering the years. Of course Lebron in his prime is going to school KG at 35-36. '96 Pippen would have been a much tougher match up.

StringerBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:42 AM
BGDDYKWL

Quote:
Rodmans ranked 11th all time for rpg. Guess you never saw Chamberlin or Russell.
Not to get into an era debate, but the guys Rodman was battling for rebounds were FAR more impressive than the guys Chamberlain and Russell were dealing with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
I assumed this was a prime on prime things, considering the years. Of course Lebron in his prime is going to school KG at 35-36. '96 Pippen would have been a much tougher match up.
Exactly. Pippen was essentially in his prime in '96. A prime Garnett would give LeBron some trouble as well.

BGDDYKWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 04:51 PM
JackSlater

Bulls in 5. The Bulls match up pretty favourably with the Heat. Jordan is the best player of all time, and putting 96 Jordan against 13 Wade would be a huge mismatch. Jordan's competitiveness would ensure that he played to the best of his abilities in order to crush Lebron (see the ESPN 50th birthday article) so we know the Bulls are going to be near their best. I don't know if any team can match the perimeter defence displayed by the 96 Bulls when Jordan, Pippen and Harper were all buzzing.

Offensively Pippen is a poor man's Lebron, but defensively he is quite comparable. I do not think that anyone in the NBA today can match up with Lebron defensively as well as Pippen could. Having an elite post player in Rodman for help adds tremendously. As has been said, Rodman would make Bosh cry. There is no reason to think that Rodman wouldn't absolutely dominate the boards to a ridiculous degree against this Heat team. Kukoc singlehandedly makes the Bulls bench much better than the Heat's, even with the battalion of crap forwards that Chicago used to throw out. Jackson over Spoelstra is the biggest mismatch in the series, and once again it benefits the Bulls.

JackSlater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:46 PM
McSorleyStick
DECIMA-TING

Quote:
yeah because they both faced a lot of elite big men during their careers

Russell was nothing more than a glorifed Ben Wallace

McSorleyStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 09:01 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I think if the Heat got some support from guys outside of the big three, they could get a couple of games, which is why I chose the Bulls in six. I was just starting for my HS varsity team when the Bulls were winning those championships back in the 90s, so I remember those teams quite well. Those teams were awesome, but lets not forget, it was Pippen and MJ, will a great coach, and a good supporting cast. Outside of Rodman, their roll players were not head and shoulders better than the Heats roll players. It would really come down to MJ, Pippen, and Rodman against the Heats big three, which would be so awesome to witness.

But, if we are talking about the 96 team, then we have to talk about Wade being in his prime, because MJ and Pippen were in their prime then. Wade is arguably top five in regards to top shooting guards, and his there werent many, if any, guards like him in the 90s. Of course MJ gets the advantage, but Wade would certainly get his.

And when I say that there werent many players like Wade in the 90s, there was no LeBron James in the 90s. There was a visionary playmaker in the 90s like him, in Magic, but there was never someone with his size, speed, quickness, and IQ. You are talking about a 6-8, 270 pound player than play any position on the court, and is one of the quicker players in the league. He is one of the rarest athletes the sporting world has ever seen, and while I LOVE Pippen, I think its ridiculous that people think that he would automatically shut LeBron down. He puts up numbers that havent been seen in the NBA in over 50 years, since the likes of Robertson and Wilt. If LeBron really wanted to, he could average a triple double in a season. LeBron versus Pippen would probably be one of the most entertaining matchups in the history of the game.

The reason why I think the Bulls would win a series against the Heat is because the league back then was much tougher than it is now. Heck, I think the NFL now is softer than the NBA was back then. EVERYTHING is called a foul now, where as back then, you would have to be bleeding in order to get a call, unless of course you were Jordan. It would be an interesting matchup nonetheless, but even as a Heat homer, I couldnt pick the Heat in a seven game series.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 10:49 AM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb1300 View Post
I think if the Heat got some support from guys outside of the big three, they could get a couple of games, which is why I chose the Bulls in six. I was just starting for my HS varsity team when the Bulls were winning those championships back in the 90s, so I remember those teams quite well. Those teams were awesome, but lets not forget, it was Pippen and MJ, will a great coach, and a good supporting cast. Outside of Rodman, their roll players were not head and shoulders better than the Heats roll players. It would really come down to MJ, Pippen, and Rodman against the Heats big three, which would be so awesome to witness.

But, if we are talking about the 96 team, then we have to talk about Wade being in his prime, because MJ and Pippen were in their prime then. Wade is arguably top five in regards to top shooting guards, and his there werent many, if any, guards like him in the 90s. Of course MJ gets the advantage, but Wade would certainly get his.

And when I say that there werent many players like Wade in the 90s, there was no LeBron James in the 90s. There was a visionary playmaker in the 90s like him, in Magic, but there was never someone with his size, speed, quickness, and IQ. You are talking about a 6-8, 270 pound player than play any position on the court, and is one of the quicker players in the league. He is one of the rarest athletes the sporting world has ever seen, and while I LOVE Pippen, I think its ridiculous that people think that he would automatically shut LeBron down. He puts up numbers that havent been seen in the NBA in over 50 years, since the likes of Robertson and Wilt. If LeBron really wanted to, he could average a triple double in a season. LeBron versus Pippen would probably be one of the most entertaining matchups in the history of the game.

The reason why I think the Bulls would win a series against the Heat is because the league back then was much tougher than it is now. Heck, I think the NFL now is softer than the NBA was back then. EVERYTHING is called a foul now, where as back then, you would have to be bleeding in order to get a call, unless of course you were Jordan. It would be an interesting matchup nonetheless, but even as a Heat homer, I couldnt pick the Heat in a seven game series.
No we dont. We're talking about 96 Bulls vs 13 Heat. Not Prime; Jordan, Pippen, Harper, Longley, Rodman vs Prime; LeBron, Wade, Bosh, ???

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Dylonus

Quote:
A blind monkey could've coached those teams to championships.
Is that why they've fallen apart since and were begging Jackson to come out of retirement?

Those Bulls teams were nasty. They had excellent role players outside of the trio of MJ, Pippen and Rodman. Kerr with deadly threes, Longley under the basket; etc. Hell, that's doesn't even include Kukoc.

Bulls would win in 5.

Dylonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 05:31 PM
Kershaw

I think people are severely underrating the Miami HEAT this season.

They are going to shatter the winning streak record and become the greatest team of all time IMO.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-21-2013, 06:25 PM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
I think people are severely underrating the Miami HEAT this season.

They are going to shatter the winning streak record and become the greatest team of all time IMO.
They arent going to shatter anything yet. They still have a few tough games ahead of them, including one in San Antonio. Let them get past Detroit first tomorrow, then we can talk about Charlotte on Sunday. You cannot take any team for granted, as evident by the Cavs game last night.

And as far as greatest team of all time, that 72 win Bulls team says hi. One of the greatest teams, yes, but not "the" greatest.

pb1300 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:31 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5700
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWO View Post
Bulls in 4

And the constant "Rodman would make Bosh cry" make me laugh....and it's true.
Literally. He would be hysterical in tears on the court. I didn't see when BWC said it first though.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 11:56 AM
invictus

One interesting aspect of this to me is that the Bulls team is around 15 years old and being compared straight up. In discussions of hockey, there is always talk about relative dominance of an era. That Bulls team was so good that they are being picked by many to win straight-up without even having to do it from the angle of "because they were so dominant in their era." Go Bulls!

invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-24-2013, 09:31 PM
SpeakerForTheDead

vCash: 2000
Are they playing by 90's rules or modern rules?

That makes a difference.

03-25-2013, 01:26 AM
Blue And Orange
#KevinLoweMustGo

Obviously the Heat. The 96 bulls lost to the 96 raptors

But seriously, Bulls in 5, AINEC!

Blue And Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-26-2013, 07:20 PM
Vamos Rafa
¡Vamos!

Don't know about the Bulls, but one team that won 65+ games that this Heat team could beat is the 1999-00 Lakers, who won 67 games. Heat wouldn't have an answer for Shaq, but that's manageable. Kobe was already a great player but far from his prime while this year's LeBron is in his prime. He would steamroll Rick Fox.

Vamos Rafa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-28-2013, 05:41 PM
Martini*
Gods Team

After watching LeBron embarrass himself last night I highly doubt the Heat would even win a game against a Bulls team that had Rodman.

The 96 Bulls would have beaten LBJ down and laughed about it. Good thing he never had to deal with the Bad Boy Pistons. Laimbeer would have made Lebron cry.

Lebron calls Jordan on phone... no answer. He tries Kobe... no answer. Finally sees them in person and asks why they don't answer. Jordan responds, I don't answer till after 3 rings!

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote