HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rumors and Proposals Vol. 7: "GMs who should be posters"

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
stoff

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
Anyone see this tweet?

Adam Gretz ‏@AGretz

Former Blue Jackets general manager Scott Howson is listed at the Penguins-Bruins game, representing the Edmonton Oilers.
Just saw. Say what you want about howson he did a decent job in Columbus. If his goalie didn't fall off the face of the earth and wasn't forced into the carter trade the team would be pretty good.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:26 PM
Koto

Quote:
Originally Posted by worraps View Post
Moving Yakupov or Eberle for a #2 d-man would be a monumentally bad trade. Not even Tambolowe is dumb enough to contemplate it.

The Big 4 are untouchable because they are much more valuable to a rebuilding team like the Oilers than they are to any other team in the league.
So you wouldn't trade Eberle or Yakupov for a Dman better than J Schultz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seachd View Post
That's exactly what I mean. If your reason for sloughing one of them off for a d-man is because they're "all" going to demand trades in a few years, you need to re-think your plan.
How long should they wait? We're coming up on Hall's 3rd season on this dismal team.

What exactly is your plan? Hope and wait for 3 more 1OAs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemsky_83 View Post
Yet we haven't had a legit #2 defenseman since Hamrlik/Niinimaa/Brewer in their primes.

Ryan McDonagh is a current #2 poised to become a #1. Worth it.
This.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeRadicals View Post
None of them are untouchable, given the right offer any of them can be dealt, but if I were to put them on a trading block, it would be Eberle, simply because his replacability.

And if we were to trade him, I would fully expect the oilers to potentially package him up for a #1 D. We won't be able to get a #1 D in a one on one deal but in a package, it's more likely. Also trading one of the big 4 for less then a #1 or elite #2 defenseman is a big waste of assets. If we wanted a #2 or less defenseman, we would trade Hemsky etc first.
Explain to me why anyone would ever trade a true #1Dman.

Answer: He's about to be a ufa.

In which case we wouldn't be trading anyone near the value of Eberle or Yakupov.

And you are dreaming to think we can get a #2Dman for a Hemsky (or gagner, or MPS...)

Infact i think most people would consider a top pair Dman (read: #2D) more valuable than a 1st line winger (eberle)

Old
03-12-2013, 06:36 PM
RisingSun

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
So you wouldn't trade Eberle or Yakupov for a Dman better than J Schultz?

How long should they wait? We're coming up on Hall's 3rd season on this dismal team.

This.

Explain to me why anyone would ever trade a true #1Dman.

Answer: He's about to be a ufa.

In which case we wouldn't be trading anyone near the value of Eberle or Yakupov.

And you are dreaming to think we can get a #2Dman for a Hemsky (or gagner, or MPS...)

Infact i think most people would consider a top pair Dman (read: #2D) more valuable than a 1st line winger (eberle)
Just to clarify what do you consider a #1 defenseman, because we might be talking about the same thing, just using different vocabulary. To me a #1 Defenseman is a guy that come in and best our immediate best defenseman and ranking wise is about a notch above Schultz. A #1 D doesn't necessarily have to be a elite D like karlsson or doughty, but atleast subban,kieth, yandle level.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:50 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by stoff View Post
Just saw. Say what you want about howson he did a decent job in Columbus. If his goalie didn't fall off the face of the earth and wasn't forced into the carter trade the team would be pretty good.
Nothing wrong with him being a pro scout. It does no harm. It's just something to keep him busy, until he gets a diff job.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:02 PM
Paralyzer008

Question: What would be the cost of the Oilers grabbing Jhonas Enroth out of Buffalo? He's a younger guy, can backup Dubnyk yet also challenge him a bit.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
Seachd

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koto View Post
Didn't say that. I will say that trading players like that for Janne Niinimaa is his prime seems like a supremely awful idea.

It's a pre-emptive strike for what could very likely be a much inferior player, and even worse, if it's ever even necessary, it won't be for years down the road.

Having a lot of first overall picks doesn't mean dumping them off is a great idea.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
ChadSC
SportingCharts

I think the biggest thing fans would like to trade in regards to the Oilers is time.

Like it our not, the Oilers need time. Unfortunately, this isn't NHL 13 or a hockey pool, there are no short-term fixes in the NHL. The team set a play in motion to rebuild this franchise through the draft and youth - with that comes a lot of growing pains and an undefinable progress.

Enjoy the ride and we can ***** in the future about how we all had to go through the tough times when everyone is back climbing on lamp posts on Whyte.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:36 PM
OILSLICK94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
Question: What would be the cost of the Oilers grabbing Jhonas Enroth out of Buffalo? He's a younger guy, can backup Dubnyk yet also challenge him a bit.
Pass....

The guy is a smurf of a goalie and not NHL calibre

Old
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
Oiler Crude
3rd rate fan

vCash: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post
I think the biggest thing fans would like to trade in regards to the Oilers is time.

Like it our not, the Oilers need time. Unfortunately, this isn't NHL 13 or a hockey pool, there are no short-term fixes in the NHL. The team set a play in motion to rebuild this franchise through the draft and youth - with that comes a lot of growing pains and an undefinable progress.

Enjoy the ride and we can ***** in the future about how we all had to go through the tough times when everyone is back climbing on lamp posts on Whyte.
The Habs? T.O? Ottawa? Didn't seem to take them THIS much time.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:05 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:
Originally Posted by OILSLICK94 View Post
Pass....

The guy is a smurf of a goalie and not NHL calibre
He's 24 and he had a save percentage of .916 last year. He's a good backup option. Better numbers than Jonathan Bernier other than this season.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
doubledown99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler Crude View Post
The Habs? T.O? Ottawa? Didn't seem to take them THIS much time.
Ott I will give you. The Habs were a good team that had a bad year last year. That was an outlier. Go look at their record for the last 5 years...

And the Leafs?!? They have been rebuilding longer than the Oilers. They've been rebuilding since 2008 (at least).

Old
03-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadSC View Post

I'd agree with you if this was the 2nd or even 3rd year of this tanking..But 4? Hard to take. What I see these days from the Oilers is the NYI, Florida, etc. I don`t see us being able to keep the `kids`long enough to build up a team this way. We may get to fighting for the 8-10 spot again but that`s probably it. The Oiler`s scouting has sucked for many years and, in my opinion, still does. Outside the 1st round, we`ve done next to nothing. We should have a great group of young, support players by now, with all the 31, 91, etc, picks but, as usual, the Oil can`t draft worth a damn.

So much for the saviour Stu...Hell, anyone could pick the 1st overall..just follow Bob Mackenzie`s list...It`s after that they earn their money..or, in this case, fail to earn it.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:18 PM
Jimmi Jenkins
So Rainy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilfan2 View Post
I'd agree with you if this was the 2nd or even 3rd year of this tanking..But 4?
So you understand that year "1" of the rebuild, WASN'T the year they finished last with POS, Nilsson and the crew, right? It was the year after they drafted Taylor Hall, that's year 1.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:25 PM
Oilfan2
Oil the way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmi Jenkins View Post
So you understand that year "1" of the rebuild, WASN'T the year they finished last with POS, Nilsson and the crew, right? It was the year after they drafted Taylor Hall, that's year 1.
Not talking about the supposed `rebuild`...4th year drafting near and possibly 1st..And nothing tells me we won`t be close to the bottom next season as well..We simply don`t have the horses to reach the top because of all the poor drafting, especially over the last 5-6 years. Can`t make it on 1st round picks alone. You need some support.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:44 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Riley Nash now with 6 points in 11 games. And +2. As a 3rd liner.

Still don't see how Marincin>this guy

Old
03-12-2013, 08:50 PM
Paralyzer008

Quote:

Spencer Machacek had 9 points in 12 games last year on the third line for Jets. Was traded a few days ago in an AHL swap. Good start, but doesn't prove much just yet. Plus, Marincin is still developing, d-men take longer.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
GreatKeith
Super Smashed Oilers

vCash: 2394
Quote:

Wonder how he'd fare in the Western Conference...

Old
03-12-2013, 09:00 PM
The Perfect Human*
Bow Down to Lidas

Machacek was never a 1st round pick...

Old
03-12-2013, 09:04 PM
dnicks17

Quote:
But 9 points in 12 games > 6 in 11.

Machacek is clearly better.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:08 PM
N5991989
Oilers Fan

vCash: 788
Quote:
He also did not request a trade by not signing a contract with the team that drafted him.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:13 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:

The guy didn't want to sign here, what can you do?

It's not like he was an eager little oilers fan who dreamed about wearing the copper and blue and we dealt him for Marincin. No, we moved a player who didn't progress much after his draft year for a pick.

Kinda like how Calgary got a pick for Erixon? We did fine in that deal. And that stat line isn't that good. Marincin as a rookie is our best D man in the minors.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:15 PM
Jarvi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paralyzer008 View Post
I don't think Buff wants to deal him. There was a rumor in the trade section that Miller would be leaving Buffalo. So maybe they are going full rebuild and Plan on keeping Enroth.

Actually the Oilers name came up a few times about Miller. Anybody have interest in him?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:21 PM
A Classy Banana

Quote:

Riley Nash: 24 years old
Martin Marincin: 21 years old.

Give it a rest. Nash is three years older and plays in the eastern conference.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:27 PM
SephF
Visually Better

Quote:

He had out performed him at every level. Nash is finally getting his shot and is looking good. He's also a year older than Marincin and is a foward (doesn't take as long to develop).

I'll admit I'm surprised by how well he's doing but it's too early to tell. Kind of seems like a lot of players on Carolina are over achieving right now.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:49 PM
rockinghockey

I must admit I am pretty impressed with Gagner this year. Needs to improve on the faceoff though. The PRV;Gagner;Yak line looks pretty good. Lets give them some time together.

Closed Thread