HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Omark Thread: Willing to play in the AHL?

Old
02-25-2013, 01:55 PM
Matte99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Is there a "Cult of Omark" in Sweden or something?
No, not at all.

He spent 2 seasons in NA and soon 1 season in NLA. (and before he left for NA he was one season in KHL)

In short, he hasn't been home in a long time and there has been a lot of new young players coming through during these years.

But before he left he was the most entertaining and productive swedish player outside NHL for 2 seasons.

Matte99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 03:02 AM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse Vertigo View Post
Is there a "Cult of Omark" in Sweden or something?
In a way I suppose the answer to that is yes. But you need to take into account that Omark has been hyped in Swedish media for several years. That, together with his non-success in the Oilers, is probably the most accurate explanation why many Swedes still care and, to a certain extent, hold a grudge.

It is important to understand that many Swedes are not actually fans (in my definition anyway) of any specific team in the NHL. They follow and cheer for Swedish players playing in the NHL and the team of their choice in normally one with either many Swedish players (most popular team in Sweden is Detroit, Ottawa's "fanbase" is growing fast) or with Swedish players who have been, or are being, hyped (sometimes correctly) by the media.

Edmonton basically didn't exists for Swedish fans before Paajarvi and Omark except for old-timers remembering the Gretzky era. I honestly admit that despite considering myself an Oilers fan (or rather Gretzky fan...) for some years before it was actually the arrival of Kent Nilsson that solidified my support for this team (even though he was only here for very short time).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that it is not a bad thing for the Oilers to gain new supporters even if many of them see it more like "one-night-stand" than a long term commitment. Many come and go but there are always a few that take a liking to what they see and remain supporters despite the fact that the reason of their interest has left the building (like me, post -88).

EDIT: Oh, and a second thing (although I know I may be over reacting here)... I am still fairly new to these boards but I didn't expect so many posters labeling any Swede who has had anything positive to say about Omark as an pro-Omark fanatic. They do exist but don't think there's more than a handful (easily identified imo) of them. It has annoyed me since I came here (and still does) that more posters chose not to acknowledge this but rather keep generalizing the opinions of certain supporters.

Last edited by LaGu: 02-26-2013 at 03:15 AM.
LaGu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 10:51 AM
Tedi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaGu View Post
In a way I suppose the answer to that is yes. But you need to take into account that Omark has been hyped in Swedish media for several years. That, together with his non-success in the Oilers, is probably the most accurate explanation why many Swedes still care and, to a certain extent, hold a grudge.

It is important to understand that many Swedes are not actually fans (in my definition anyway) of any specific team in the NHL. They follow and cheer for Swedish players playing in the NHL and the team of their choice in normally one with either many Swedish players (most popular team in Sweden is Detroit, Ottawa's "fanbase" is growing fast) or with Swedish players who have been, or are being, hyped (sometimes correctly) by the media.

Edmonton basically didn't exists for Swedish fans before Paajarvi and Omark except for old-timers remembering the Gretzky era. I honestly admit that despite considering myself an Oilers fan (or rather Gretzky fan...) for some years before it was actually the arrival of Kent Nilsson that solidified my support for this team (even though he was only here for very short time).

I guess the point I am trying to make is that it is not a bad thing for the Oilers to gain new supporters even if many of them see it more like "one-night-stand" than a long term commitment. Many come and go but there are always a few that take a liking to what they see and remain supporters despite the fact that the reason of their interest has left the building (like me, post -88).

EDIT: Oh, and a second thing (although I know I may be over reacting here)... I am still fairly new to these boards but I didn't expect so many posters labeling any Swede who has had anything positive to say about Omark as an pro-Omark fanatic. They do exist but don't think there's more than a handful (easily identified imo) of them. It has annoyed me since I came here (and still does) that more posters chose not to acknowledge this but rather keep generalizing the opinions of certain supporters.
And vice versa as well. Some of the Swedish posters need to remember that most Oiler fans wanted Omark to succeed and there was a lot of anticipation and excitement to bring Omark to NA.

Tedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:03 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:

With all due respect you have all due respect. Your posts and contributions have been solid and imo anyway you're not lumped into a general category. My joke earlier in the page is that several posters were for some strange and odd reason comparing Omark to Forsberg (a more unlikely comparison could rarely be found and with the trait in common being only that they are Swedish, and play hockey) and that resolutely blamed the Oilers for Omarks downfall here. I think the most disturbing faction was the posters that were stating that before Omark was even failing here. That it was stated before the fact as a destiny. From the start there were Omark supporters that wanted him traded to say Detroit or somewhere else because the rubes here wouldn't know what to do with him.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 01:40 PM
LaGu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
With all due respect you have all due respect. Your posts and contributions have been solid and imo anyway you're not lumped into a general category. My joke earlier in the page is that several posters were for some strange and odd reason comparing Omark to Forsberg (a more unlikely comparison could rarely be found and with the trait in common being only that they are Swedish, and play hockey) and that resolutely blamed the Oilers for Omarks downfall here. I think the most disturbing faction was the posters that were stating that before Omark was even failing here. That it was stated before the fact as a destiny. From the start there were Omark supporters that wanted him traded to say Detroit or somewhere else because the rubes here wouldn't know what to do with him.
Your post (as well as your previous contributions to the Omark thread/-s) was the reason I wrote that I may be "over reacting". Many posters (generally the most active ones), but not most, do not reply in the way I described in my previous post unless it's an obvious gest. I do appreciate that, especially since I (and a couple more posters who would fall in under the category of Omarkian posters despite being fairly objective in the matter) are new to hfboards and an easy target.

Old
02-26-2013, 03:47 PM
Njoy Oilers

This is the song that never ends! I sure wish O'mark was here to fill in for Ebs while he is on holidays.

Njoy Oilers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 09:20 PM
fuswald
I'd Be Fired

vCash: 882
Quote:
Originally Posted by Njoy Oilers View Post
This is the song that never ends! I sure wish O'mark was here to fill in for Ebs while he is on holidays.
This. Eberle is getting very lazy it seems. Bench him for a game no question. Money makes it hard to go hard. Ask Horcoff.

Tattoos on butts (so I can bend over for you to give a kiss should be the response)? Poor behavior (sorry Dad, forgot you could still see well enough to read)? No fights at the games might as well get it on here. Fight. Fight. Fight. Now I have the TV controller. Damn, only Calgary on tonight.

Sorry, Omark, that is this thread. Bottom line is Omark seems to be trying extra hard. Should get another go or two with some NHL team. Fan or not he is working at his game.

fuswald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-26-2013, 11:00 PM
Chef10

I enjoyed watching Omark i think he is a very talented player and very strong on the puck for a person of his size, his flare and ability to score and set up plays i would say is at an above average to elite level. I just wish him the best and hope he has a long and successful career. Part of me still hopes to see that happen with the Oilers.

Chef10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:03 AM
alanschu

As someone decidedly not invested in this discussion, I figured I'd just chime in that all the reasonable posts in the world don't mean anything if you undermine yourself with a post suggesting that fans tattoo his name to their ass.

It's a pretty condescending way to "debate" anything.

alanschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 01:24 AM
Arpeggio

There's always a chance he ends up in training camp next year and makes the team.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 03:19 AM
The Nuge
Farewell Smytty

vCash: 1026
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
There's always a chance he ends up in training camp next year and makes the team.
There's a chance, but I wouldn't bet on it. If we somehow got Horton and Clowe, I could maybe see giving Omark a spot, but that's about it. We're small enough, and Omark is softer than anyone on our roster

The Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
02-27-2013, 10:44 AM
Tad Mikowsky
Retired

I'm glad Omari is where he belongs: in some second tier league

Tad Mikowsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 12:09 AM
Oi'll say!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpeggio View Post
LOL. I saw a lot of things I liked from Omark as an nhl scoring line player, mostly when he first came over. I really wanted him to succeed and I still like him as a player. But the Oilers are by far the most stacked team in the nhl at rw. They have 78 point player from last year, a 1st overall pick and a guy making $5M in that spot. Omark would literally have to be one of the best players in the nhl to make this team on the rw. There's a better chance the Oilers win the cup this year with Kevin Lowe in net.

Oi'll say! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 08:47 AM
Thorulf

The regular season of the NLA has now ended. (EV Zug is heading for play-off. They actually won the first game yesterday.)
Linus Omark was the "Top Scorer" in the swiss league with most points.
48gp 17G 52A 69P +18.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 10:10 AM
I see only darkness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorulf View Post
The regular season of the NLA has now ended. (EV Zug is heading for play-off. They actually won the first game yesterday.)
Linus Omark was the "Top Scorer" in the swiss league with most points.
48gp 17G 52A 69P +18.
Congrats to him. Hopefully he gets another NHL chance one day. May not be with Oilers but he deserves it.

I see only darkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:10 PM
dnicks17

Rumor that HC Lugano is after Omark.

I'm assuming for next season?

(Source: http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/32980)

dnicks17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 12:21 PM
Thorulf

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnicks17 View Post
Rumor that HC Lugano is after Omark.

I'm assuming for next season?

(Source: http://www.hockeyfans.ch/news/meldung/32980)
Well guess that is quite sensetive information now, as Zug playing against Lugano in the first play-off round.

In the end it will boil down to a lot of things, including other offers and money, but Linus has previously stated that NHL is his primary goal.

Thorulf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 01:13 PM
Dorian2
The bag don't lie.

vCash: 50
Quote:

Good post..as usual LaGu. IMO you are one of the better Swedish posters who takes a pretty level headed approach.

In defense of some posters here, I'm thinking that people went on the defensive/offensive/war path because early when Omark was here, there was some talk of the "Canadian kids" getting better treatment from the team because of Politics. That situation set some people off the deep end around here.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-03-2013, 02:12 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
Good post..as usual LaGu. IMO you are one of the better Swedish posters who takes a pretty level headed approach.

In defense of some posters here, I'm thinking that people went on the defensive/offensive/war path because early when Omark was here, there was some talk of the "Canadian kids" getting better treatment from the team because of Politics. That situation set some people off the deep end around here.
Lagu is a consistently particular pleasure to read and I'm glad I'm not the only one noticing and giving credit.

Theres actually a number of posters on this topic that regularly post well. But into a well that had some prior poisoning as you mentioned.

Good on Omark btw. No doubt this player does very well on bigger ice and a different variation of the game. Never much doubt on that. The application here has always been what the NA type poster, or Oiler or NHL fan tends to comment here.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 12:08 AM
Tarasenko
UNREGISTERED USER

He will end on the Wings in 2 years.

Tarasenko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:20 AM
Jimmi Jenkins
Always the Bards

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarasenko View Post
He will end on the Wings in 2 years.
Why would they want him?

Jimmi Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 01:47 PM
Matte99

Ottawa could use him atm, they got next to no offense and are fairly good on defense.

Old
03-05-2013, 03:15 AM
LaGu

@ Dorian & Replacement. Thanks, I appreciate it. You're making a grumpy old man blush...

Old
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
Matte99

Omark to Oilers when the season ends in Europe? Seems to be what they are suggesting here... Does anyone see any truth in this?

http://nhl.si.com/2013/03/11/europea...for-nhl-teams/

Old
03-12-2013, 06:16 PM
AlowlyOilersfan
Comrade

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matte99 View Post
Omark to Oilers when the season ends in Europe? Seems to be what they are suggesting here... Does anyone see any truth in this?

http://nhl.si.com/2013/03/11/europea...for-nhl-teams/
Play and trade? It's certainly possible.

Although, I think a straight up trade is more likely.

AlowlyOilersfan is offline   Reply With Quote