HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Tampa Bay Lightning
Notices

Jones, MacKinnon or Drouin?

View Poll Results: pick
Jones 32 53.33%
MacKinnon 8 13.33%
Drouin 16 26.67%
other 4 6.67%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-11-2013, 05:54 PM
  #101
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I highly doubt that it takes Jones that long to make an impact. He'll have some issues but I can see him playing next year and holding his own. He's more physically ready than either Drouin or MacKinnon who might need to go back to juniors to bulk up.
If we get Jones, slot him on the third pair and ease him into the role. I think he will do just fine. As long as we don't throw him to the wolves (Aka Hedman) Than he should be fine IMO.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:05 PM
  #102
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
If we get Jones, slot him on the third pair and ease him into the role. I think he will do just fine. As long as we don't throw him to the wolves (Aka Hedman) Than he should be fine IMO.
Would he be allowed to play in the AHL? If he can, it would be better if he played on the first pairing on the Crunch than the third pairing with the Lightning.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:08 PM
  #103
Yzlamic Extremist
Registered User
 
Yzlamic Extremist's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,575
vCash: 629
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Would he be allowed to play in the AHL? If he can, it would be better if he played on the first pairing on the Crunch than the third pairing with the Lightning.
He can't until he's 20, because he plays in the CHL.

Of course, I may be wrong about where he is in his development and he may very well have a rookie season like Doughty. But even Pietrangelo needed a couple of seasons to develop into the beast he is today. Defensemen are incredibly unpredictable.

Yzlamic Extremist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 06:11 PM
  #104
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Would he be allowed to play in the AHL? If he can, it would be better if he played on the first pairing on the Crunch than the third pairing with the Lightning.
The biggest issue I have with him on the Lightning next year is this. I don't think hes ready for top pairing minutes, nor top 4 immediately. Do we throw Barberio, Gudas or Korobov in over their heads to properly progress another young guy? Doesn't seem like a smart philosophy. Though All three guys may be NHL ready now and or on the cusp. Throwing them top four minutes is an entirely different beast all together.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 08:44 PM
  #105
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolt32 View Post
The biggest issue I have with him on the Lightning next year is this. I don't think hes ready for top pairing minutes, nor top 4 immediately. Do we throw Barberio, Gudas or Korobov in over their heads to properly progress another young guy? Doesn't seem like a smart philosophy. Though All three guys may be NHL ready now and or on the cusp. Throwing them top four minutes is an entirely different beast all together.
He would instantly be our 3rd best defender behind Hedman and Salo. I think that says more about our lack of talent then his ability. He can't play in the A and I don't think another year in the dub is gonna make that much of an impact.
With his dad being a professional for awhile I think he will have less trouble dealing with the outside things most rookies aren't used too.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-11-2013, 11:18 PM
  #106
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
He would instantly be our 3rd best defender behind Hedman and Salo. I think that says more about our lack of talent then his ability. He can't play in the A and I don't think another year in the dub is gonna make that much of an impact.
With his dad being a professional for awhile I think he will have less trouble dealing with the outside things most rookies aren't used too.
Now hang on a second, are you really saying he'd be better than Brewer and Lee? In all seriousness though, why don't they allow players to play in the AHL as soon as they are drafted? A player like Jones would serve better in the first pairing in the AHL than a low minute guy in the NHL, and another year in juniors is unnecessary. It seems for top level prospects, they're either forced to be rushed or to stay behind.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 12:52 AM
  #107
Bolt32
Registered User
 
Bolt32's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,752
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Now hang on a second, are you really saying he'd be better than Brewer and Lee? In all seriousness though, why don't they allow players to play in the AHL as soon as they are drafted? A player like Jones would serve better in the first pairing in the AHL than a low minute guy in the NHL, and another year in juniors is unnecessary. It seems for top level prospects, they're either forced to be rushed or to stay behind.
No exemption rule for the NHL-CHL agreement. Its either CHL or NHL for the kids drafted out of the CHL. Would love to see 1 exemption allowed per team, but until that time comes it is what it is.

Bolt32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:31 AM
  #108
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Now hang on a second, are you really saying he'd be better than Brewer and Lee? In all seriousness though, why don't they allow players to play in the AHL as soon as they are drafted? A player like Jones would serve better in the first pairing in the AHL than a low minute guy in the NHL, and another year in juniors is unnecessary. It seems for top level prospects, they're either forced to be rushed or to stay behind.
Its the stupid agreement they have together, so they can keep top talent and the CHL looks like a legit league. A player like Barkov could play in the A as an 18 year old though. I do like the exemption idea for each team, maybe make it to where the player has to be 19 and its the 2nd year after being drafted. It'll cut down on the overagers and a player like Scheiffle from Winnipeg has no business up there.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:43 PM
  #109
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
Here is an interesting bit comparing the points per game of the last few #1 overall picks in their draft years, to Drouin.

Jonathan Drouin GP46 G40 A61 P101 PPG2.19
Nail Yakupov GP65 G49 A52 P101 PPG1.55
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins GP67 G31 A75 P106 PPG1.58
Taylor Hall GP57 G40 A66 P106 PPG1.86
John Tavares GP56 G58 A46 P104 PPG1.86
Steven Stamkos GP61 G58 A47 P105 PPG1.72

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 04:59 PM
  #110
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Here is an interesting bit comparing the points per game of the last few #1 overall picks in their draft years, to Drouin.

Jonathan Drouin GP46 G40 A61 P101 PPG2.19
Nail Yakupov GP65 G49 A52 P101 PPG1.55
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins GP67 G31 A75 P106 PPG1.58
Taylor Hall GP57 G40 A66 P106 PPG1.86
John Tavares GP56 G58 A46 P104 PPG1.86
Steven Stamkos GP61 G58 A47 P105 PPG1.72
Drouin is on a torrid pace and I'd be absolutely thrilled to grab a prospect with elite offensive talent like himself. However, it goes to show that some players with lower PPG have styles that are more transferable to the NHL.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:02 PM
  #111
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
This was just insane by Drouin:

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/ey...azzling-assist

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:05 PM
  #112
Follower of Yzlam
Believe the Yzerplan
 
Follower of Yzlam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Country: United States
Posts: 8,533
vCash: 1159
Quote:
Originally Posted by CC321 View Post
Here is an interesting bit comparing the points per game of the last few #1 overall picks in their draft years, to Drouin.

Jonathan Drouin GP46 G40 A61 P101 PPG2.19
Nail Yakupov GP65 G49 A52 P101 PPG1.55
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins GP67 G31 A75 P106 PPG1.58
Taylor Hall GP57 G40 A66 P106 PPG1.86
John Tavares GP56 G58 A46 P104 PPG1.86
Steven Stamkos GP61 G58 A47 P105 PPG1.72
Didn't the rest of those guys play in the OHL while Drouin plays in the Q? Just saying, that may make a difference.

Follower of Yzlam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:11 PM
  #113
InjuredChoker
Registered User
 
InjuredChoker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: LTIR or golf course
Posts: 17,338
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Didn't the rest of those guys play in the OHL while Drouin plays in the Q? Just saying, that may make a difference.
Yup, I think so too.

InjuredChoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:12 PM
  #114
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pronounced Anders View Post
Didn't the rest of those guys play in the OHL while Drouin plays in the Q? Just saying, that may make a difference.
This, the Q is not known for defense and goaltending.
Im not trying to say what he's doing isn't impressive. We have Kucherov in the Q who's also almost at a 2 PPG average. I just don't think offense is our greatest need now or in the future.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:20 PM
  #115
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
This, the Q is not known for defense and goaltending.
Im not trying to say what he's doing isn't impressive. We have Kucherov in the Q who's also almost at a 2 PPG average. I just don't think offense is our greatest need now or in the future.
You can say that now, but as soon as Marty retires, Vinny's decline inevitably starts and several prospects' games don't translate at the NHL level, we're back to square one. Elite level forwards are hard to come by outside of the first round in the draft.

No one knows for sure how any prospect will pan out and we'll likely not be drafting as high as this poll suggests. Thus, the whole hypothetical debate on who we should pick out of the top three is incredibly stupid since we all have our favourites and nothing either party says will convince the other party otherwise.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:41 PM
  #116
CC321
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 686
vCash: 500
The Q is a bit higher scoring, the last numbers I saw were 6.5 average goals/game compared to 6.25 for the O, it's not a large difference. Kucherov is 19, Drouin is 17, and Kucherov can't keep up with him. Offense isn't our biggest need, but when drafting, BPA comes before org. needs.

CC321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:33 PM
  #117
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
You can say that now, but as soon as Marty retires, Vinny's decline inevitably starts and several prospects' games don't translate at the NHL level, we're back to square one. Elite level forwards are hard to come by outside of the first round in the draft.

No one knows for sure how any prospect will pan out and we'll likely not be drafting as high as this poll suggests. Thus, the whole hypothetical debate on who we should pick out of the top three is incredibly stupid since we all have our favourites and nothing either party says will convince the other party otherwise.
Yeah, but we have Connolly and Kucherov for potential replacements for Marty on the right wing. J.T Brown is a possibility as well.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:13 PM
  #118
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
Yeah, but we have Connolly and Kucherov for potential replacements for Marty on the right wing. J.T Brown is a possibility as well.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:32 PM
  #119
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
So they're busts and were doomed? Marty is great but its not gonna be the end of the world when he leaves.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:54 PM
  #120
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
So they're busts and were doomed? Marty is great but its not gonna be the end of the world when he leaves.
When did I say that? Why is it that everyone loves to draw their own conclusions and put words into others' mouths?

I just said we don't know how prospects will pan out and if their games will translate to the NHL level...then another poster comes in and tries to tell me that Connolly and two even less known, less proven commodities in Kucherov or Brown could fill the gap left by Marty. That was what I was responding to.

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:26 PM
  #121
Steve Yzerman
A Great Season
 
Steve Yzerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,421
vCash: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
When did I say that? Why is it that everyone loves to draw their own conclusions and put words into others' mouths?

I just said we don't know how prospects will pan out and if their games will translate to the NHL level...then another poster comes in and tries to tell me that Connolly and two even less known, less proven commodities in Kucherov or Brown could fill the gap left by Marty. That was what I was responding to.
You mean like you did? I never said that those players would fill the gap left by Marty. I said they are -potential- replacements for Marty once he retires. When Marty will retire, someone will have to replace him. At this stage, the organization should at least have players in development who have the potential to develop into his replacement, and at the moment those players are Connolly and Kucherov and possibly Brown.

Steve Yzerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:31 PM
  #122
HoseEmDown
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 3,643
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampa Bay Trio View Post
When did I say that? Why is it that everyone loves to draw their own conclusions and put words into others' mouths?

I just said we don't know how prospects will pan out and if their games will translate to the NHL level...then another poster comes in and tries to tell me that Connolly and two even less known, less proven commodities in Kucherov or Brown could fill the gap left by Marty. That was what I was responding to.
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, but I took it like you thought that about them.
Why can't Connolly be the guy? He was drafted high with expectations to be a top line player. He's shown his scoring touch in the A just hope he brings it up with him next year.
Kucherov has the vision, hands, ane playmaking to be comparable to Marty but yes its unknown if he can translate well to the NHL.
Brown I don't see being a replacement but more of a 2/3rd line energy guy.
I just think some people are a little more optimistic about our prospects than you.

HoseEmDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:39 PM
  #123
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrior4321 View Post
You mean like you did? I never said that those players would fill the gap left by Marty. I said they are -potential- replacements for Marty once he retires. When Marty will retire, someone will have to replace him. At this stage, the organization should at least have players in development who have the potential to develop into his replacement, and at the moment those players are Connolly and Kucherov and possibly Brown.
You just did it AGAIN. I said you suggested those prospects COULD fill the gap left by Marty, not WILL.

Those players you listed all have different skill sets to Marty. Not saying they have to be direct replacements, but I don't feel any will replace the elite level of skill that Marty's departure will leave us with (Connolly could be elite if he pans out).


Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 03-12-2013 at 09:51 PM.
The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
  #124
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoseEmDown View Post
I wasn't trying to put words in your mouth, but I took it like you thought that about them.
Why can't Connolly be the guy? He was drafted high with expectations to be a top line player. He's shown his scoring touch in the A just hope he brings it up with him next year.
Kucherov has the vision, hands, ane playmaking to be comparable to Marty but yes its unknown if he can translate well to the NHL.
Brown I don't see being a replacement but more of a 2/3rd line energy guy.
I just think some people are a little more optimistic about our prospects than you.
I'm a realist and temper my expectations. Also, I know a lot of prospects don't pan out at the NHL level.

To me, Connolly lacks something, perhaps it's hockey sense? He's got all the tools: size, shot, speed, good hands but there was just something missing during his rookie year (granted it was his rookie year). He looked underwhelming at the World Jrs, where it was expected that he would dominate. I hope he comes through because the year before his draft year, he was stellar for Prince George, before the hip injuries slowed down his development and overall game.

With Kucherov, I'd like to see him add more strength to his frame, in addition to more focus on the defensive nuances of the game. Also, it'd be nice to see how he does against stronger players in the AHL, before having an accurate assessment of whether or not his game will translate at the NHL level.


Last edited by The Wyzerhood: 03-13-2013 at 10:30 PM.
The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 03:37 PM
  #125
The Wyzerhood
A league of his own
 
The Wyzerhood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,932
vCash: 500
If we're drafting outside of the top 3, these are the players I'd like in order:

Nichushkin
Barkov
Nurse
Monahan
Lindholm
Zadorov
Ristolainen
Shinkaruk

The Wyzerhood is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.