HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Confirmed: Walker to Carolina for C Josef Vasicek

Old
07-21-2006, 03:21 PM
bleedgreen

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch View Post
Point taken, but on the same token, the caliber of Czech players is on a totally different scale here in Nashville.
well, its a refernce about how happy he is, leading to better motivation - isnt it? the original remarks werent about how he needs quality czech linemates to play better, just that if he had more czechs he'd be a more motivated and happy hockey player.

bleedgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 11:32 AM
Upchuck19

Vasicek is a big lumbering Euro that when he got the chance to play in the playoffs was barely noticiable. Walker is heart and soul kind of player, brutal dumb move by the Preds.

I'm still ticked off that the Canucks left Walker unprotected when the Preds took him in the expansion draft. If Scottie has a year of non injuries, this will look bad for the Preds!

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 12:07 PM
Joe T Choker
Roll Wide Roll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upchuck19 View Post
Vasicek is a big lumbering Euro that when he got the chance to play in the playoffs was barely noticiable. Walker is heart and soul kind of player, brutal dumb move by the Preds.

I'm still ticked off that the Canucks left Walker unprotected when the Preds took him in the expansion draft. If Scottie has a year of non injuries, this will look bad for the Preds!
the way that Walker plays, he's more likely to be injured than not ... so I don't think it will look like that bad of a deal for the Preds

Joe T Choker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 01:28 PM
HughJass*

Send a message via AIM to HughJass* Send a message via Yahoo to HughJass*
Quote:
Point taken, but on the same token, the caliber of Czech players is on a totally different scale here in Nashville.
They eat better caviar?

HughJass* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Enoch
This is my boomstick

Quote:

We all love Walker here in Nashville. We know what he can bring. However, it is a stretch to say that he will not get injured. It is also a stretch to believe he will be able to grind as he has in the past, while keeping the scoring touch of 03-04. Walker is not an either/or guy in terms of scoring/physical play, but when he is focusing on goal-scoring, his physical play does take a slight step back, as noted in the 03-04 season post-Sullivan trade.

Walker will likely fit in fine with the Hurricanes. Vasicek should fit in fine here, and will be a RFA at years end. I seriously doubt we would resign Walker due to our winger depth, so this was one of those moves where we traded Walker while he still had decent value, acquired a piece that was dreadfully needed on our team, and hope for the best. While Vasicek might be slow, Adam Hall was an equally slow player on our third line, and to be honest, all but useless last year. The third line should be much improved next year as Vasicek at worst is a better offensive player than Greg Johnson, minus the speed.

I like what we have done Upchuck. Our center ice position has almost become a strength. For the first time in our history, we have balanced lines offensively. 3 legitimate lines will be iced, with goal-scorers on each (Kariya, Sullivan, Hartnell, with Erat being the darkhorse due to his hard shot.)

Our only weakness is a young defense, but it is the most talented defense to date. We took a chance similar to this in 03-04, and it paid off. We are taking another chance this year, and I believe it will pay off as well. The bottomline is, Klein was ready to play last year, Suter and Weber are ready to play, and Zanon will give everything he has coming off the bench. Its time to let the kids play or move them out. Letting them start the season now gives us salary flexability in terms of resigning key RFAs (and maybe UFAs - see Vokoun, Kimmo, and Kariya), and at the least, will be a showcase for potential trades down the line. Sometimes you have to go cheap in certain areas. The Predators have chosen to make their bottom pairing defensively their cheap area, and I cannot say I disagree. Trotz is excellent at developing defensive players, while probably below average to developing offensive players. If we had to go cheap in an area, giving Trotz our most talented prospects in his best area of coaching, is certainly the way to go.

Again, I like what we have done this off-season. We should have a new identity with a lot of the same faces.

07-22-2006, 01:43 PM
braindead

Flawless analysis in my opinion.

braindead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 02:23 PM
crossxcheck

Send a message via AIM to crossxcheck Send a message via MSN to crossxcheck Send a message via Yahoo to crossxcheck
Quote:
We all love Walker here in Nashville. We know what he can bring. However, it is a stretch to say that he will not get injured. It is also a stretch to believe he will be able to grind as he has in the past, while keeping the scoring touch of 03-04. Walker is not an either/or guy in terms of scoring/physical play, but when he is focusing on goal-scoring, his physical play does take a slight step back, as noted in the 03-04 season post-Sullivan trade.

Walker will likely fit in fine with the Hurricanes. Vasicek should fit in fine here, and will be a RFA at years end. I seriously doubt we would resign Walker due to our winger depth, so this was one of those moves where we traded Walker while he still had decent value, acquired a piece that was dreadfully needed on our team, and hope for the best. While Vasicek might be slow, Adam Hall was an equally slow player on our third line, and to be honest, all but useless last year. The third line should be much improved next year as Vasicek at worst is a better offensive player than Greg Johnson, minus the speed.

I like what we have done Upchuck. Our center ice position has almost become a strength. For the first time in our history, we have balanced lines offensively. 3 legitimate lines will be iced, with goal-scorers on each (Kariya, Sullivan, Hartnell, with Erat being the darkhorse due to his hard shot.)

Our only weakness is a young defense, but it is the most talented defense to date. We took a chance similar to this in 03-04, and it paid off. We are taking another chance this year, and I believe it will pay off as well. The bottomline is, Klein was ready to play last year, Suter and Weber are ready to play, and Zanon will give everything he has coming off the bench. Its time to let the kids play or move them out. Letting them start the season now gives us salary flexability in terms of resigning key RFAs (and maybe UFAs - see Vokoun, Kimmo, and Kariya), and at the least, will be a showcase for potential trades down the line. Sometimes you have to go cheap in certain areas. The Predators have chosen to make their bottom pairing defensively their cheap area, and I cannot say I disagree. Trotz is excellent at developing defensive players, while probably below average to developing offensive players. If we had to go cheap in an area, giving Trotz our most talented prospects in his best area of coaching, is certainly the way to go.

Again, I like what we have done this off-season. We should have a new identity with a lot of the same faces.

wonderful post, my ttu buddy. couldn't agree more.

crossxcheck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 03:34 PM
muddycreek*

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossxcheck View Post
wonderful post, my ttu buddy. couldn't agree more.
It would have been good even if he attended Murpy High (MTSU). PK or Sully (Idon't remember which one) is only signed through this season. Time is running out on this team. It's time to give the young studs a chance to mature.

muddycreek* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 04:56 PM
tulsytrid1

It will be sad to see the Preds without #24 on the ice for opening night. With this said, however, I think it was probably a good move Poile to move Walker for what we got in return. Vasicek is still young, and he has some good upside. Good to see Poile addressing our biggest weakness during the playoffs which was itty bitty centers.

tulsytrid1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-22-2006, 06:29 PM
Seth Lake

Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddycreek View Post
PK or Sully (Idon't remember which one) is only signed through this season.
It's Kariya. He signed a two-year deal last summer as an unrestricted free agent. Sullivan signed a four-year contract last summer as a restricted free agent after being acquired for the playoff run from Chicago.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 10:55 AM
Upchuck19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus O' Toole View Post
the way that Walker plays, he's more likely to be injured than not ... so I don't think it will look like that bad of a deal for the Preds
Well you guys are confident in your opinions, but I say losing Walker and signing a lazy whiner like Arnott hasn't improved but has maybe put the Preds out of a playoff spot?

Time will tell?

Upchuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 08:19 PM
golfmade
Go Preds Go

Quote:
Well you guys are confident in your opinions, but I say losing Walker and signing a lazy whiner like Arnott hasn't improved but has maybe put the Preds out of a playoff spot?

Time will tell?
How? Walker was out for most of the season and we made the playoffs just fine. If anything with these additions I think it does several things. Arnott gets to finally play first line center, Legwand gets some fire under his *** to play harder with Vasicek in town or play 3rd line.

golfmade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 08:27 PM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

Quote:

Time will tell?
But, admittedly in the past, your interests are more with other teams than the Preds(Nucks, I recall?) and you're talking to a group of fans that is not only knowledgeable\realistic\pragmatic, but also very passionate. When Poile makes a dumb move, we call him on it. We love the way the team has been built...and for all the reasons already tirelessly mentioned, Walker for Vasicek is a risk well worth taking for both teams. Walker isn't a safe bet to play more than 30-40 games, Vasicek has never quite reached his potential. Both teams are taking a low-risk move, I don't see the problem in that. To look at this team and call it "not as good" as last year is kind of silly. We don't have Walker this year.

How is that different than most of the past 5 years, including this past one?

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-23-2006, 11:56 PM
CaniacKak

The good news for Nashville is that Slow Joe doesn't play very hard so it is likely that he won't get hurt. Of course, he wasn't playing that hard when he DID get hurt, but how many times can that happen?

I heard it said that Joe is a Cup winner! Yes, he was on the same roster as the guys that won the Cup. Joe, however, was a non-contributor. The only thing he did really well in relation to the Stanley Cup was to get his picture taken with it as often as humanly possible. While the rest of the boys were sacrificing themselves to win the Cup, Joe, when he actually got into a playoff game, was just kinda skating around. He should have had to pay for a ticket!

Joe played in 8 of the 26 playoff games. He was a healthy scratch in all the others. He played in 3 of the Stanley Cup Final games.

Gm 4: TOI 10:06, 0 shots, 0 hits, 0 blocked shots, 1 missed shot, 2-0 faceoffs,
0 points.
Gm 5: TOI 11:02, 0 shots, 0 hits, 0 blocked shots, 2 takeaways, 1 missed shot,
1-1 faceoffs, 0 points, and the team had to kill off his 2 minute penalty.
Gm 6: TOI: 6:47, 1 shot, 0 hits, 0 blocked shots, 1 takeaway, 1 giveaway, 0 points.

When it was announced that Joe would NOT be in the lineup for game 7, there was a huge sign of relief all over Carolina.

Sorry, but I thought you ought to know. Joe is hardly a Cup contributor.

Now, if Joe lives up to his potential (and he has a ton of God given talent that he doesn't generally use except in pre-season and the occasional regular season game in a comeback from an injury), while playing for Nashville, it will be a pleasant surprise for you!

Good luck and I hope this trade will wake him up and he will play well for you.

CaniacKak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-24-2006, 03:57 AM
barrytrotzsneck
Retired Global Mod

In the past 5 seasons, Walker has played 70 or more games twice, never playing all 82. In two of those seasons, he missed 50+ games.

I can present troubling statistics, too.

The thing is...not reaching your potential is a lot easier to fix through various variables than being perennially injured.

barrytrotzsneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:45 AM
SmokeyClause

Send a message via AIM to SmokeyClause
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuithead View Post
Actually, just ONE. Kimmo started out in Milwaukee, Vokoun is now the only original Predator.

I like the deal, Walks isn't what he once was. We have a backlog on wing and the need for size at center (as shown in the playoffs).
I don't think Vokoun started in Nashville either. I think our two goalies in game 1 against Florida were Eric Fichaud and Mike Dunham.

SmokeyClause is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:52 AM
PredsMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyClause View Post
I don't think Vokoun started in Nashville either. I think our two goalies in game 1 against Florida were Eric Fichaud and Mike Dunham.
you are correct sir, Voukoun started the season in Milwaukee.

He's considered the only "original" left due to the fact that he's the only player left from the expansion draft.

Timonen & Vopat were acquired via trade with LA after the expansion draft.

The first player signed....Marian Cisar

PredsMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 02:36 PM
AdmiralPred

Quote:
Originally Posted by PredsMan View Post
The first player signed....Marian Cisar
And isn't he still property of Nashville?

AdmiralPred is offline   Reply With Quote