HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Entertainment
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Entertainment Discuss movies, tv shows, music, arts, literature, fashion, and upcoming events, concerts, etc.

Last Book You Read and Rate It (Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
StringerBell

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
I'd rather have a root canal than try to plow through this again.
Are you familiar with any of his other work? I'm contemplating picking up Inherent Vice in anticipation of the next undertaking from Joaquin and PTA, but if his writing is directionless drivel I'd just as soon wait for the movie.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:09 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
Are you familiar with any of his other work? I'm contemplating picking up Inherent Vice in anticipation of the next undertaking from Joaquin and PTA, but if his writing is directionless drivel I'd just as soon wait for the movie.
I actually thought Against the Day was really good. Lots of meandering but I enjoyed it.

Inherent Vice was easily readable but I didn't like it all that much.

03-07-2013, 11:29 PM
SonicY
Daydream Nation

Quote:
Pynchon is, to me, the epitome of a writer who people appreciate for ability, rather than story. He is wonderfully creative and abstract, yet his stories lack... sense, in its basest form. A friend of mine, who wrote his Grad thesis on him, tried to convince me that Gravity's Rainbow was 'this millenia's Iliad', but I remember I fell asleep with the soft cover on my lap and a beer in my hand, 20 pages in, because I found it an exhausting exercise in obscurity.

I can appreciate Pynchon as an artist, but I can't appreciate the art.

Oh, and I'm reading 'Oil!', by Upton Sinclair, which was the (extremely loose) basis for There Will Be Blood. It is an absolutely delightful, quirky read, from an extremely underrated author. It is nothing like the movie though, for those who seek a tie-in. I recommend.

Old
03-07-2013, 11:46 PM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by StringerBell View Post
The only other Pynchon that I've read is Gravity's Rainbow, which was next to Finnegan's Wake the most difficult novel that I have ever read and far less rewarding than Joyce's work. So I'm zero for two and not going for the hat trick any time soon. I hate to be a wet blanket for any book, though. Why not read five pages in a book store and see what you think?

Old
03-08-2013, 01:05 AM
StringerBell

Quote:
The only other Pynchon that I've read is Gravity's Rainbow, which was next to Finnegan's Wake the most difficult novel that I have ever read and far less rewarding than Joyce's work. So I'm zero for two and not going for the hat trick any time soon. I hate to be a wet blanket for any book, though. Why not read five pages in a book store and see what you think?
Solid advice. I've employed this technique in the past, however my bookshelves quickly became cluttered due to my lack of prejudice. I often struggle with the 'just say no' mentality in these types of situations.

Old
03-08-2013, 07:46 AM
Ceremony
Inpermanent

vCash: 50
The Crying of Lot 49 was short at least, I know Gravity's Rainbow is massive in comparison. My problem wasn't really with the style (which a few people mentioned in my class on it today), I could follow that fairly easily, it was just about nothing by the end of it, and I had been expecting more.

03-08-2013, 09:48 AM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Sometimes I read for style. I am into looking at techniques and approaches that some authors use. I get as much enjoyment from that as from the story sometimes.

Old
03-08-2013, 10:17 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083
Quote:
Same here. I hate that book.

Old
03-08-2013, 11:11 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by LancelotLink View Post
Sometimes I read for style. I am into looking at techniques and approaches that some authors use. I get as much enjoyment from that as from the story sometimes.
I know exactly what you mean. I'm that way when it comes to movies. I enjoy stylistic sophistication and even welcome a degree of difficulty. But with books, it just doesn't work the same way--I get much more impatient, especially with density for the sake of density.

Old
03-08-2013, 01:11 PM
Peter Zezel

vCash: 330

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

It took my second try to get into this book and finally finish it, but even then I took my time. Beautifully written and a interesting format, but some of the stories bored me where others really gripped me. I loved the Timothy Cavendish story and had some good laughs.

7/10

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Was a real good book to just pick up and read. The plot really pulls you into the hardships and how stubborn people were back then. I really enjoyed this book.

9/10

Old
03-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Ceremony
Inpermanent

Midnight's Children by Salman Rushdie

It's very long. But I enjoyed it a lot. Even though I knew nothing about the history of India this wasn't really a problem as I was reading it, and the way the narrative shifts around wasn't a problem either, I could follow it fairly easily. The ending was a bit of a let down though.

Old
03-08-2013, 03:10 PM
KesselBuiltMyHotrod

vCash: 278
I liked Lot 49.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:17 PM
Hippasus

Fury's hour: a (sort-of) punk manifesto: Warren Kinsella - 7 / 10

Kinsella was in a Calgary punk band from the early 80s and wrote this book with enthusiasm. He seemed to dwell on things a bit too much sometimes, like about the Ramones being the greatest rock band of all-time, or how John Lyndon is a real ass-hole, but I liked the broad overview. It asked questions like 'what is punk', is 'punk dead', is the 'no future' slogan really part of punk, how did punk start. Well-written, not intellectual, and good for other book leads. Recommended. He is now a leftist political strategist.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:04 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Steven Johnson - The Ghost Map

7/10. Good story about cholera epidemic in London in 1854. Parts were pretty damn gross.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:52 PM
silverfish
the basement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Zezel View Post

To Kill a Mockingbird - Harper Lee

Was a real good book to just pick up and read. The plot really pulls you into the hardships and how stubborn people were back then. I really enjoyed this book.

9/10
Working through this one now on my first read of it. A chapter away from Part II right now and really enjoying myself thus far.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:23 AM
Ceremony
Inpermanent

The New York Trilogy by Paul Auster

I... am still speechless, to be honest. I loved reading this. I am fairly certain I would also love going through the whole thing again, seeing how everything connects together by the end. I would have liked a bit more closure on the first two stories, but it was still altogether satisfying.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:45 AM
Oscar Acosta

vCash: 1083

Slaughterhouse Five - Kurt Vonnegut

I've always liked Vonnegut and never got around to this one simply because I couldn't find one with a cover I liked. Seemingly idiotic reason but as a book collector I wasn't about to go with a mass market paperback. Finally found one that reprinted the first edition cover beautifully.

About the book, not much to say that hasn't already been said about it. Great reading.

9/10

Old
03-15-2013, 10:40 AM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Best Served Cold by Joe Abercrombie. Solid book, but not his best. The main character was somewhat annoying by the end, but a few of the side characters were really well written. Looking forward the reading his next 2 books. 7/10

Old
03-15-2013, 12:55 PM
silverfish
the basement

Just finished To Kill a Mockingbird

9/10, the classic did not disappoint.

What a story. Ashamed at myself for taking this long to finally getting around to reading it. So easy to fall right into the plot and get involved in the story as it progresses. Harper Lee does an amazing job of giving you some things while making you read for others.

Next up for me is The Catcher in the Rye. Excited to get started.

Old
03-16-2013, 08:47 AM
stingo

vCash: 115

Ordered this book off Amazon for a couple of bucks. I used to be really into wrestling back in the day, and decided this would be a good read, and it was, but it won't appeal to anyone who isn't, or was never into wrestling.

A lot of the information in this book, I already knew from reading about it on the internet, so to anyone who follows any wrestling websites, you'll know most of this stuff already, but the book delves a bit deeper.

Stories about how Vince bought the WWWF from his father, on trial for steroids, lots about Hulk Hogan, and the Monday night ratings wars between WWF and WCW.

It ends with the question of, what's next? The ratings for WWE are way down, and it's nowhere near as popular as it once was. The show has gone down the tubes, and a lot argue it's because there's no competition.

6.9/10

Old
03-16-2013, 08:52 AM
stingo

vCash: 115

I purchased this book of poems along with Bukowski's, Love is a dog from hell. I remembered seeing Seidel's name in a couple literary magazines, and the book was on sale, so I figured, what the heck.

For some season this book has gotten rave reviews, but maybe I just don't get it. A bunch of rhyming poems, and most of the rhymes are terrible. The subject matter is either dark, or political, but he tries to make it funny, and it doesn't work at all (for my tastes) due to some of the terrible rhymes. Just not a great poetry book, and if you're a fan of poetry, i'd move on to something better. It wouldn't be hard to find.

0.1/10

Old
03-20-2013, 08:50 PM
Ceremony
Inpermanent

White Noise by Don DeLillo... eh. I'm not sure what to make of it. I had trouble really focusing on it, to be honest. None of the characters seems particularly sympathetic so I wasn't really caring that they were idiots ruled by the TV and the radio and the supermarket.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:01 PM
William Faulkner
A Wizard A True Star

Patti Smith - Just Kids... but does it count if I listened to the book?

I give it 7/10. Pretty interesting and written very nicely. Patti always seems a little pretentious, though. She reads the book herself, which is nice because she can emphasize what she feels and what should be stressed. But she also dropped the "g" at the end of a lot of words, and it felt forced. Just like when she would say "windahs" instead of "windows", but only sometimes, so I knew she could pronounce it correctly. And she says "drawlings" instead of "drawings" which annoyed me more than it should have.

Anyway, I am nitpicking a lot. The book tells the story of her life with Robert Mapplethorpe. Lots of interesting NYC people from the 70's pop up. This actually is only about a 6/10 but she does mention Todd Rundgren a few times, which bumps it up a full point.

Old
03-20-2013, 09:45 PM
abe jr

vCash: 6730

7/10

Old
03-20-2013, 10:52 PM
sabresfan129103
So it begins...

Dresden Files book 4: Summer Knight.

I picked up the first book of the series on whim. I usually don't like to ready anything that takes place in our time, so I was hesitant to read these books. After book 1 I was completely hooked and each book seems to get better. This one was no different, I read it in 2 days. Can't wait to read book 5. 8/10

Closed Thread