HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Do the Habs need Heavyweight enforcer? Part 2

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 07:10 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolan11 View Post
Yes that is what I think would get you our two rentals.

Clowe + Murray for your 1st and a decent forward prospect (basically what twitter is saying today for Clowe alone, which is a prospect too much from what I think he will return)

or

Clowe + Murray for Gionta (minus million cap) + a pick

or

Clowe + Murray for DD + a pick

values of picks I leave for you to decide (in sharks-land, 7ths are more valuable to us than 5ths). Either Gionta or DD would help the sharks immensely with our scoring drought. Murray and Clowe would help you in your big man arms race. Either of them on the ice should reduce the runs your stars have been absorbing.
From a negotiating aspect very interested in the 2nd and 3rd proposals

With the Gionta one I say a 5th-7th pick could make it a 3rd if you keep the million cap

And for the desharnais one the pick would be 4th or 5th

All of this would be with the conditional pick for clowe not resigning

Old
03-12-2013, 07:16 PM
kassian
Emelin's face plate

It's a matter of days or a couple of weeks 'til Bergie lands that tough cookie everyone reclaims. Book it.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:20 PM
Habtchum*

All Habs divisional opponents have - at least - two guys who can drop them at any time.

Time to fix the problem.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:30 PM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kassian View Post
It's a matter of days or a couple of weeks 'til Bergie lands that tough cookie everyone reclaims. Book it.
reason for this to take longer : MB isnt looking for the Parros, Kassian of this world, he's looking for someone in the mold of Prust (ie: can do more than fighting)

Old
03-12-2013, 07:35 PM
Bronn
Registered Sellsword

Maybe the solution is actually within the club....

Bergevin destroyed Scatchard. Very awkward punching style but it got the job done

Old
03-12-2013, 07:38 PM
googlymoogly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ECWHSWI View Post
reason for this to take longer : MB isnt looking for the Parros, Kassian of this world, he's looking for someone in the mold of Prust (ie: can do more than fighting)
Jared Boll would be perfect.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:41 PM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Cut the crap, folks.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:43 PM
hardcorehabs

Hahaha oh yeah Bergy could throw down in his day. Almost 49 career NHL fights according to hockey fights dot com.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:49 PM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
From a negotiating aspect very interested in the 2nd and 3rd proposals

With the Gionta one I say a 5th-7th pick could make it a 3rd if you keep the million cap

And for the desharnais one the pick would be 4th or 5th

All of this would be with the conditional pick for clowe not resigning
Gionta + 3rd for Clowe + Murray would be difficult for us. Would leave us 3.5 M to re-sign Demers and a few other RFAs. We would probably have to trade Galiardi and Burrish to afford Gionta next year.

DD + 4th for Clowe + Murray could work in my mind, but not with conditional coming back (our system is void of forward prospects).

DD + conditional 2014 2nd if Clowe re-signs for Clowe + Murray I would do in a heartbeat

Old
03-12-2013, 07:51 PM
Habsfannick
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Gionta + 3rd for Clowe + Murray would be difficult for us. Would leave us 3.5 M to re-sign Demers and a few other RFAs. We would probably have to trade Galiardi and Burrish to afford Gionta next year.

DD + 4th for Clowe + Murray could work in my mind, but not with conditional coming back (our system is void of forward prospects).

DD + conditional 2014 2nd if Clowe re-signs for Clowe + Murray I would do in a heartbeat
If you can reduce the conditional 2014 2nd to a third you have a deal

Old
03-12-2013, 07:57 PM
Habbybirthday
"I ****ing LOVE it"

Quote:

What a nightmare this thread is....

Gionta sure... I'd trade him for a goon.. But he's our captain likely won't happen.

But DD guy's... Come on this isn't boxing it's hockey. You don't HAVE to fight someone who want's to fight you. White showed this against Yonkman in Florida. Honestly by not fighting we play better hockey... And the other goon teams get frustrated. once again it's hockeyyyyyy not boxxiiinnnngggg.

We already took Cole away from Pacioretty don't do DD too. Decimate one of our two top scoring lines. pffft please.

Realistically Bergevin will do the smart thing. Maybe White and a prospect for a goon.

The fact that he put in a claim for sestito shows he is trying to get a goon ideally loosing as little as possible from a 1st place team.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:17 PM
TennisMenace

Well, Senators agree with many of us - went out and traded a 6th round pick for Matt Cassian. Wonder why? Neil gets hurt, with no other protection ag. Bruins.

Why can't we be that smart?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:23 PM
25get

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying Knee View Post
Maybe the solution is actually within the club....

Bergevin destroyed Scatchard. Very awkward punching style but it got the job done
you mean:

Old
03-13-2013, 12:27 AM
Nolan11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsfannick View Post
If you can reduce the conditional 2014 2nd to a third you have a deal
Barring better deals from other teams, which I know of none, I would do that. Fun talking with you. Hope we meet for the cup someday.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:35 AM
dkdanielkli
GO HABS GO

Send a message via Skype™ to dkdanielkli
Sign Hill back
By the way, my bd in 25 mins <3

Old
03-13-2013, 01:26 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Originally Posted by TennisMenace View Post
Well, Senators agree with many of us - went out and traded a 6th round pick for Matt Cassian. Wonder why? Neil gets hurt, with no other protection ag. Bruins.

Why can't we be that smart?
Trading a draft pick for someone you could have had for free a few weeks ago is 'smart' now?

Old
03-13-2013, 02:32 AM
Beendair Donedat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post
Trading a draft pick for someone you could have had for free a few weeks ago is 'smart' now?
Sigh.

Situations change you know right? People get hurt, it is still a contact sport. Ottawa has had Wiercioch and Phillips doing the fighting lately because all of their other toughness has been injured.

Last edited by Blind Gardien: 03-13-2013 at 11:46 AM.
Old
03-13-2013, 04:15 AM
Bieber fever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corncob View Post

Very not sure about that but I read somewhere that if they trade for him, they can send him down without the waivers ( something like that )

Old
03-13-2013, 11:39 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Ben Eager on waivers... I would take a flyer on him. Rather quick, can hit, play and fight from time to time. Also has an history with Bergevin.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:41 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Ben Eager on waivers... I would take a flyer on him. Rather quick, can hit, play and fight from time to time. Also has an history with Bergevin.
Very very interesting. I'm all in for it

Old
03-13-2013, 11:43 AM
HiggsBozon
Vintage Emy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
Very very interesting. I'm all in for it
Well, if Bergevin plans to get a guy like Boll or Thorburn, it would make sense to pass on him. But if he doesn't, I think it would be a good opportunity to get some cheap depth. The guy is a better skater than Armstrong...

Old
03-13-2013, 11:53 AM
Blind Gardien
Global Moderator
nexus of the crisis

I never heard what happened with the assault charges on Eager, that was sometime in the summer or during the lockout, I forget.

But the main drawback with him is the contract for next year. Edmonton got Brown and Brown is better than Eager in the same role, they've decided, so it's not a slam dunk that Eager is just "finished" or whatever - if he had been waived without that factor, it would have been more of a red flag. I'm usually in the camp that isn't too worried about finding/dealing with cap space issues, though. Eager's $1.1M hit next year isn't much more than whoever else would take a roster spot. As long as he's good enough that nobody else *has to* take his roster spot. I don't have a pro scouting opinion on that, haven't paid any attention to him this year.

Bottom line, I'd ask my pro scouts how he's playing, and if everybody agrees he's capable (Armstrong isn't setting the bar too high), I'd put in a claim. Bergevin will have his own insider opinion on Eager, though, and the team in general probably likes Armstrong better than any of us do. So it'll be totally understandable if they pass again. You can't really argue with the success the team has had with the guys on hand right now, and there aren't obvious gaping roster spot openings for adding guys.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
Marc the Habs Fan
Chucky breakout year

vCash: 646
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
I never heard what happened with the assault charges on Eager, that was sometime in the summer or during the lockout, I forget.

But the main drawback with him is the contract for next year. Edmonton got Brown and Brown is better than Eager in the same role, they've decided, so it's not a slam dunk that Eager is just "finished" or whatever - if he had been waived without that factor, it would have been more of a red flag. I'm usually in the camp that isn't too worried about finding/dealing with cap space issues, though. Eager's $1.1M hit next year isn't much more than whoever else would take a roster spot. As long as he's good enough that nobody else *has to* take his roster spot. I don't have a pro scouting opinion on that, haven't paid any attention to him this year.

Bottom line, I'd ask my pro scouts how he's playing, and if everybody agrees he's capable (Armstrong isn't setting the bar too high), I'd put in a claim. Bergevin will have his own insider opinion on Eager, though, and the team in general probably likes Armstrong better than any of us do. So it'll be totally understandable if they pass again. You can't really argue with the success the team has had with the guys on hand right now, and there aren't obvious gaping roster spot openings for adding guys.
Pretty much hit the nail on the head with this.

Dudley also acquired him in the summer of 2010 from the Hawks, so they have knowledge on Eager from 2 different situations.

If they claim Eager, he's basically taking Armstrong's spot on the cap next season, so the 1.1 M next year isn't a problem, IMO.

Old
03-13-2013, 11:59 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFORCE View Post
Well, if Bergevin plans to get a guy like Boll or Thorburn, it would make sense to pass on him. But if he doesn't, I think it would be a good opportunity to get some cheap depth. The guy is a better skater than Armstrong...
If you can pick up a player without moving assets that should be the #1 solution. If you can't pick up Eager cause he has been claimed by another team then you trade like the Sens did yesterday(Kassian)

Old
03-13-2013, 12:05 PM
cc

Eeger's really reluctant to fight since getting concussed by Kassian. That forced the oilers to get Brown. I doubt the Habs will want a guy just for hitting. IMO they'd do better with a guy like McIntyre. He'd be like a Scott. Just a guy to neutralize the heavyweight on the other team.

Closed Thread