HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Nashville Predators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Hard times and hockey on the Nashville Highway

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-02-2013, 06:02 PM
  #26
AintLifeGrand
Crunchy Jamz Brah
 
AintLifeGrand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Savannah, GA
Country: Tibet
Posts: 3,179
vCash: 500
Based on the article it appears that High School hockey in ATL while I was playing 02-06 was a bigger deal then compared to its current state in Nashville.

I played as an out of district student for Brookwood High School- I remember most weekend games had at least a couple hundred students at the rink- I played in the Sr. Allstar game at Philips after a Thrashers game and recall the lower bowl of the arena being filled up.

The next step to establishing the sport as a cultural staple is to work with School Boards to include it as an officially sanctioned high school sport. I'm sure Lacrosse has been recently sanctioned in TN, similar to how it has been embraced by the state school board in GA within the past decade. The same needs to happen for hockey, or the sport will stagnate in interest in participation (outside of the NHL)

AintLifeGrand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 07:41 AM
  #27
jlsg
Registered User
 
jlsg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 479
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AintLifeGrand View Post
The next step to establishing the sport as a cultural staple is to work with School Boards to include it as an officially sanctioned high school sport. I'm sure Lacrosse has been recently sanctioned in TN, similar to how it has been embraced by the state school board in GA within the past decade. The same needs to happen for hockey, or the sport will stagnate in interest in participation (outside of the NHL)
Lacrosse is still a club sport AFAIK. Getting hockey to be "official" in TN probably won't happen for a while. In order to use funds from the school it has to be available to every high school kid in the state. At least that's how I understand it, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. Since it's a club sport, support by the schools is not high on the list. I can't remember the last time I saw a school administrator at a high school hockey game. Franklin High finally has a teacher sponsor and she has done some great things to get word in the school about game schedules etc.
Long way to go but progress is being made.

jlsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:00 AM
  #28
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlsg View Post
Lacrosse is still a club sport AFAIK. Getting hockey to be "official" in TN probably won't happen for a while. In order to use funds from the school it has to be available to every high school kid in the state. At least that's how I understand it, someone can correct me if I'm mistaken. Since it's a club sport, support by the schools is not high on the list. I can't remember the last time I saw a school administrator at a high school hockey game. Franklin High finally has a teacher sponsor and she has done some great things to get word in the school about game schedules etc.
Long way to go but progress is being made.
I believe that the new Centennial principal was at the game vs. Ravenwood on Feb. 15th where we clinched the league championship. The school and athletic booster club has given us a great level of support since clinching the opportunity to go to Nationals.

However, as you stated, it's still a long way to go before becoming a TSSAA sport due primarily to the lack of available facilities for the majority of TN schools.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2013, 08:44 AM
  #29
cleangene63
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Beautiful Bellevue
Posts: 1,085
vCash: 500
I think I heard the Predators Cup game will be March 11th; could that be correct, SL? I hope it will be at The Bridge,even though that's a Monday night. Last year's Cup game produced some VERY good hockey, and I encourage everyone to be there.

cleangene63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2013, 11:54 AM
  #30
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleangene View Post
I think I heard the Predators Cup game will be March 11th; could that be correct, SL? I hope it will be at The Bridge,even though that's a Monday night. Last year's Cup game produced some VERY good hockey, and I encourage everyone to be there.
Both the Preds Cup and Henry Hines Cup championship games will be Monday, March 11th at Centennial Sportsplex. I believe the Hines Cup game starts at 6:00 PM and the Preds Cup begins at 8:05 PM although I'd check the website for more details.

http://www.gnashockey.com


Last edited by Seth Lake: 03-05-2013 at 11:55 AM. Reason: I did check, those are the scheduled times...
Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 11:37 AM
  #31
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Centennial sophomore forward Aaron O'Neill has been named to next weekend's USA Hockey National Team Development Program Evaluation Camp as one of the top 27 forwards born in country born in 1997.

In his two years at Centennial, Aaron has scored 41 goals and 30 assists for 71 points in 38 games.

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/...rrer_id=666974

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:31 PM
  #32
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,783
vCash: 557
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Centennial sophomore forward Aaron O'Neill has been named to next weekend's USA Hockey National Team Development Program Evaluation Camp as one of the top 27 forwards born in country born in 1997.

In his two years at Centennial, Aaron has scored 41 goals and 30 assists for 71 points in 38 games.

http://www.usantdp.com/news_article/...rrer_id=666974
Nice

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 07:44 PM
  #33
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,470
vCash: 500
Hopefully the TSSAA doesn't screw up hockey like they have every other sport

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 09:48 PM
  #34
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnashville View Post
Hopefully the TSSAA doesn't screw up hockey like they have every other sport
Kind of hard to since it will remain a club sport for quite a while yet due to a lack of facilities...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-14-2013, 07:43 PM
  #35
Gnashville
Why? Poile Why??
 
Gnashville's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Crossville TN
Country: United States
Posts: 7,470
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLake View Post
Kind of hard to since it will remain a club sport for quite a while yet due to a lack of facilities...
good there won't 8 state champions or bad officiating for a little longer

Gnashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 12:19 AM
  #36
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Centennial sophomore Aaron O'Neill was drafted in the OHL Selection Draft by the Plymouth Whalers on Saturday in the 10th round. Quite the honor!

Quote:
Centennial center Aaron O’Neill was selected by the Plymouth Whalers in the 10th round of the Ontario Hockey League priority draft on Saturday.

“It was pretty exciting and pretty humbling,” said O’Neill, a 5-10, 165-pound sophomore. “We knew that there was a possibility that it could happen, and then we were talking to Plymouth a little bit and they decided to take me.”

Predators center David Legwand played for Plymouth, scoring 54 goals in the 1997-98 season and 31 the following year.
http://www.tennessean.com/apps/pbcs....=2013304080069

Very talented young man. As the Whalers assistant GM says in the article, he will continue to fill out his frame. Aaron is very lean, but solid muscle and very strong on his skates with soft hands. I'd be disappointed if he was back in GNASH next season, but no word on where he will go. In the article it mentions he has possible opportunities to attend prep school or play in the USHL next season along with the opportunity to join the Whalers in the OHL.

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-09-2013, 06:49 AM
  #37
BigFatCat999
I love GoOoOlD
 
BigFatCat999's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Campbell, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 11,204
vCash: 500
I was waiting for this

A) we know that the OHL has rights to TN

B) TN hockey factory

BigFatCat999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-20-2013, 10:23 PM
  #38
Seth Lake
Registered User
 
Seth Lake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Nashville, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 8,855
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Seth Lake
Quote:
Aaron O'Neill ‏@A_A_Ron11

Excited to say that I have committed to play hockey at the University of New Hamshire! Thank you to everyone who helped make it possible!
https://twitter.com/A_A_Ron11/status/369499624886652928

Tendered to play for Green Bay of the USHL this season, former Centennial High School forward Aaron O'Neill announced via Twitter this evening that he has committed to the University of New Hampshire. Per reports he will start either in 2015 or 2016. As a tendered player, he will play in at least 50% of Green Bay's games this season.

This would have been Aaron's junior season at Centennial. From GNASH and travel (TPH Thunder) to the USHL and now onto Hockey East. Can't deny the growth of the sport in the area...

Seth Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-21-2013, 03:35 AM
  #39
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,783
vCash: 557
Nice, thanks for the update Slake

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 01:49 AM
  #40
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
Interesting to see how many played inline at the Rollerdome at Recreation World. We had a team from Murfreesboro that played the last year before they changed it to a slick track (IIRC). Made it to the final game but lost to a bunch of youngsters ... most of our team was long of tooth We played three games that last night and won the first two. Got circles skated around us the last game.

Fun times ... even played with the Preds employees one night when they were short a couple players.

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 08:36 AM
  #41
triggrman
Registered User
 
triggrman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Country: United States
Posts: 21,783
vCash: 557
I remember the Murfreesboro adult team. I played in both adult league teams back then.

triggrman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
  #42
Predsboro
Registered User
 
Predsboro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 523
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by triggrman View Post
I remember the Murfreesboro adult team. I played in both adult league teams back then.
That was likely us ... we were the Sharks. Played in the NHL Breakout Tour as well ...

Predsboro is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:39 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2016 All Rights Reserved.