HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Good article

Closed Thread

Old
12-22-2003, 09:06 AM
Habsaku

vCash: 500
Good article

http://www.habsworld.net/show_big_news.php?id=226

I hope this makes people who think BG will trade Koivu, Theodore, Markov, Zednik and other good players shut up.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:16 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku

I hope this makes people who think BG will trade Koivu, Theodore, Markov, Zednik and other good players shut up.
Indeed it was a good read.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:31 AM
Habber

Pretty much sums up what many of us have been saying all season long.

When you couple BG's cautiousness with the looming financial uncertaincies, it points to almost no chance of a major deal happenning, which suits me just fine.

Apart from trying to dump our impending UFA's (Perrault, Quintal, etc), which will be tough, we won't see a lot of activity from BG. There will be UFA's a-plenty this summer so there's no need to give anything up for guys that can be had for free fairly soon.

Old
12-22-2003, 09:50 AM
kastaure

Send a message via MSN to kastaure Send a message via Yahoo to kastaure
Quote:
Originally Posted by HABSTRAK
Indeed it was a good read.
Hey Habstrak..... your Avatar is toooo hot.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:18 AM
#44_delivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku

this article has less credibility then %110, this is an editorial. good read a little informative, but its like reading someones post on this forum.

Old
12-22-2003, 10:21 AM
L'abstrait

Send a message via MSN to L'abstrait
Quote:
Originally Posted by kastaure
Hey Habstrak..... your Avatar is toooo hot.
Thanks Kastaure, yours is pretty cool too!

Old
12-22-2003, 10:33 AM
hockey_nut

i was listening to the fourth period's radio show... they were talking about the koivu rumor... said it was a one-night "wild rumor" that quickly died down the next day... also said montreal might be looking at a scoring winger, but said to forget about any koivu trade

i'm glad some people are freakin realistic... he's not going anywhere, why would we trade our top players, that will help us build? doesn't make sense

Old
12-22-2003, 10:51 AM
tinyzombies

There are a couple problems equating Gainey's tenure in Dallas with Montreal:

1. The salary structure of the league is in a different realm than it was when Gainey was GM in Dallas (until the summer of 1997).

2. The influx of Russians and Czechs was taking effect in the 90s and has tapered off. The current European wave has consisted of role players.

3. Dallas had a LOT of money and built their team through free agency. And many of the free agents he signed in the last couple years were just attempts to keep a tired-out core in contention.

4. Gainey started out as coach of the North Stars so he knew the personnel intimately from their Cup run in 1991.

5. Gainey did not have a glut of talent on the farm like we have. He had a few gems to work with, but he didn't have the depth we have.

6. Gainey was in Dallas and had more time to build his team. In Montreal, they'll start lighting torches and marching to his door if he doesn't deliver a contender within a couple years.

7. We don't have a young Mike Modano to build around.

8. Many of our veterans' contracts will run out after the next two seasons.

I'm starting to think the CBA will not have the affect we thought. The league has already backed off its demand for a salary cap and the Players' Union has already accepted an across-the-board 5% cut.

I think that will loosen some purse strings in the short-term. But I doubt anyone would be interested in any of our riff-raff save Sundstrom, Dackell and MAYBE Perreault (but I doubt it since he is known to fade in the second half) and we wouldn't get a player in return anyway.

Old
12-22-2003, 12:17 PM
BJCOLLINS

Quote:
Originally Posted by raketheleaves
There are a couple problems equating Gainey's tenure in Dallas with Montreal:

1. The salary structure of the league is in a different realm than it was when Gainey was GM in Dallas (until the summer of 1997).

2. The influx of Russians and Czechs was taking effect in the 90s and has tapered off. The current European wave has consisted of role players.

3. Dallas had a LOT of money and built their team through free agency. And many of the free agents he signed in the last couple years were just attempts to keep a tired-out core in contention.

4. Gainey started out as coach of the North Stars so he knew the personnel intimately from their Cup run in 1991.

5. Gainey did not have a glut of talent on the farm like we have. He had a few gems to work with, but he didn't have the depth we have.

6. Gainey was in Dallas and had more time to build his team. In Montreal, they'll start lighting torches and marching to his door if he doesn't deliver a contender within a couple years.

7. We don't have a young Mike Modano to build around.

8. Many of our veterans' contracts will run out after the next two seasons.

I'm starting to think the CBA will not have the affect we thought. The league has already backed off its demand for a salary cap and the Players' Union has already accepted an across-the-board 5% cut.

I think that will loosen some purse strings in the short-term. But I doubt anyone would be interested in any of our riff-raff save Sundstrom, Dackell and MAYBE Perreault (but I doubt it since he is known to fade in the second half) and we wouldn't get a player in return anyway.
--------------------------------------------------------------------

very,VERY TRUE....thanks

Closed Thread