Around the League part deux

Closed Thread

Old
03-10-2013, 10:17 AM
DespoticNewt

vCash: 234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
That's Jim Fox, their colour guy, who does that. It doesn't bother me since him and Bob Miller the PBP guy (who is a hall of famer, btw) do a great job with the game, some of he most unbiased and intelligent guys in the entire NHL. Both of those guys are legends and going nowhere.

They ranked 4th in the NHL among all broadcasters in this list...

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog/Travi...6#.UTydOBxQFZ8
yup. He measures is rankings based on objectivity, clarity of call, knowledge of opposing teams, etcetera. He however mentions that the guy is very boring to listen to. That's the part I find true in every sense.

Old
03-10-2013, 06:59 PM
Hansen Brother

vCash: 500
On a different note, Columbus just beat Detroit in a shootout. I think that makes it five wins in a row for Columbus. They are going to be a good team before too long. I'm pretty sure that also puts the Oilers last in the west. What's the longest streak of first overall picks a team has ever had?

Old
03-10-2013, 07:11 PM
JetsHomer

vCash: 50
Three. Quebec got Sundin, Nolan and Lindros. Then the Oilers current three

Old
03-10-2013, 07:41 PM
DespoticNewt

*checks box scores*

Oh, look. Habs played yesterday, Fla didn't. Habs beat the Panthers cleanly. Why do the Jets make the Panthers look like a playoff team every time they play?

Old
03-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Hansen Brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Three. Quebec got Sundin, Nolan and Lindros. Then the Oilers current three
Well then, I wish for Edmonton a record breaking season.

Then I hope the record inspires Smid to sign with us.

Old
03-10-2013, 07:49 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Lol. Edmonton up 4-0 after 1. Now 6-4 in the second (still winning for now...). What a joke of an organization. I like a bunch of their players, they deserve more out of the management team there

Old
03-10-2013, 08:28 PM
JetsHomer

Crosby and Kunitz put on a clinic tonight. 5 points each in a 6-1 game.

Old
03-10-2013, 08:33 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flying High View Post
Crosby and Kunitz put on a clinic tonight. 5 points each in a 6-1 game.
Crosby is unreal. The guy just does it all, and does it better than anyone else. Unreal.

Love how some people think he gets "Bettman assists"

Old
03-10-2013, 08:45 PM
DespoticNewt

Chicago. Literally beaten by Edmonton. Blackhawks = done.

Old
03-10-2013, 10:42 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

How is Montreal doing THIS good? Wouldn't mind our stat guys running some numbers on the Habs. They have some nice roster pieces, but are they overachieving? Does this play look sustainable? They have 13 players with atleast 10 points, some nice production there. They sure appear to be buying into what Therrien is selling them.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Old
03-11-2013, 12:28 AM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
How is Montreal doing THIS good? Wouldn't mind our stat guys running some numbers on the Habs. They have some nice roster pieces, but are they overachieving? Does this play look sustainable? They have 13 players with atleast 10 points, some nice production there. They sure appear to be buying into what Therrien is selling them.
Seems like they're very good at drawing penalites. 120 powerplays! Average almost 5 a game and have scored 25 goals on them, operating at 20.8%.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:50 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
They're playing over their heads to some extent for sure but they're still a good team. Good possession numbers. Price likely hasn't played his best yet.

Old
03-11-2013, 01:52 AM
dynastyREredux
Where's the Doritos?

Send a message via ICQ to dynastyREredux
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings View Post
Seems like they're very good at drawing penalites. 120 powerplays! Average almost 5 a game and have scored 25 goals on them, operating at 20.8%.
They've taken almost as many minor penalties though. They take a lot of penalties.

Old
03-11-2013, 02:58 AM
StaticPrevails

vCash: 80
Hard for me to say, but here's hoping Washington wins back to back!

Old
03-11-2013, 10:22 PM
blueandgoldguy

So who is this Muzzin guy for the Kings? Never heard of him before.

Drafted by the Pens in 2007 in the latter rounds. Signed as a free agent by the Kings a few years ago. Had a cup of coffee in the NHL last season.

When I was checking out the stats of the LA-Calgary game tonight (2-0 LA so far), I noticed he had a couple assists. Checked his personal profile and he already has 5 goals and 5 assists in 21 games (including tonight).

Big guy too. 6'3" and 220 lbs. He's a rookie defenseman and with those types of offensive numbers you would think he would be mentioned as a Calder trophy candidate, unless he is terrible defensively of course. Still, I haven't heard his name mentioned this season, much less as one of the up-and-coming rookies.

Can anyone tell me about this guy and what kind of game he plays?

Old
03-11-2013, 11:14 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer

03-12-2013, 12:47 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
So who is this Muzzin guy for the Kings? Never heard of him before.

Drafted by the Pens in 2007 in the latter rounds. Signed as a free agent by the Kings a few years ago. Had a cup of coffee in the NHL last season.

When I was checking out the stats of the LA-Calgary game tonight (2-0 LA so far), I noticed he had a couple assists. Checked his personal profile and he already has 5 goals and 5 assists in 21 games (including tonight).

Big guy too. 6'3" and 220 lbs. He's a rookie defenseman and with those types of offensive numbers you would think he would be mentioned as a Calder trophy candidate, unless he is terrible defensively of course. Still, I haven't heard his name mentioned this season, much less as one of the up-and-coming rookies.

Can anyone tell me about this guy and what kind of game he plays?
Muzzin is an interesting case. He went unsigned by Calgary then was a fairly highly recruited overager in junior. Then made the Kings out of camp in 10-11 but was overwhelmed and sent back when the blueline got healthy. Both him and 07 4th overall D Thomas Hickey were waiver eligible this year and it was well known only one was going to make the team. Beat out Hickey for the spot.

As for playing style, his scouting report reads a lot like Paul Postma, with the occasional big hit thrown in. Is a very solid skater, good shot (that he knows how to get through), moves the puck well, gets lost in the defensive zone at times, still working on his positioning, throws a few big hits but not overly physical, wins board battles, makes some gaffes with the puck leaving you wondering. He is a solid 3rd pairing guy, with #3/4 upside.

Right now Muzzin is benefiting from all the teams focus on Doughty. He has played quite a bit with Doughty this season, and it is amazing how much the teams cheat towards Doughty, leaving Muzzin wide open quite a bit. Recently Muzzin has been playing top pairing PP with Voynov and that unit has been fantastic. Not too Muzzin hasn't been solid, he is making the most of his opportunity that's for sure. Outplaying Martinez by quite a bit, who was quite solid last season for the Kings.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:15 AM
Ziggy66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post

Epic!!! Too bad that did not go in! Rask got back to the far side quick to stop that attempt. Cherry is gonna lay a brick about it but that was entertainment!

Old
03-12-2013, 12:16 PM
Turbofan
The Full 60 Minutes

I'm glad Daugavins tried that crazy attempt. NHL needs a bit of crazy every now and then.

Old
03-12-2013, 01:07 PM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy66 View Post
Epic!!! Too bad that did not go in! Rask got back to the far side quick to stop that attempt. Cherry is gonna lay a brick about it but that was entertainment!
I don' tthink it was that much of a challenge for Rask. Its not like he can lift the puck going in like that. He's gonna try putting it in along the ice. You have 6 feet of net to cover, all along the ice, rather than 24 feeet if the player has the option of lifting it.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:55 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Tampa Bay has 10 shots well into the 3rd to Florida's 34.

Tampa is winning 3-2... wtf Florida.

Old
03-12-2013, 08:59 PM
blueandgoldguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Muzzin is an interesting case. He went unsigned by Calgary then was a fairly highly recruited overager in junior. Then made the Kings out of camp in 10-11 but was overwhelmed and sent back when the blueline got healthy. Both him and 07 4th overall D Thomas Hickey were waiver eligible this year and it was well known only one was going to make the team. Beat out Hickey for the spot.

As for playing style, his scouting report reads a lot like Paul Postma, with the occasional big hit thrown in. Is a very solid skater, good shot (that he knows how to get through), moves the puck well, gets lost in the defensive zone at times, still working on his positioning, throws a few big hits but not overly physical, wins board battles, makes some gaffes with the puck leaving you wondering. He is a solid 3rd pairing guy, with #3/4 upside.

Right now Muzzin is benefiting from all the teams focus on Doughty. He has played quite a bit with Doughty this season, and it is amazing how much the teams cheat towards Doughty, leaving Muzzin wide open quite a bit. Recently Muzzin has been playing top pairing PP with Voynov and that unit has been fantastic. Not too Muzzin hasn't been solid, he is making the most of his opportunity that's for sure. Outplaying Martinez by quite a bit, who was quite solid last season for the Kings.
thanks for that Holden.

So safe to say he has a slightly higher ceiling than Postma?

Also, is Hickey back in the minors?

Old
03-12-2013, 11:30 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueandgoldguy View Post
thanks for that Holden.

So safe to say he has a slightly higher ceiling than Postma?

Also, is Hickey back in the minors?
Slightly higher. Just a little more physical, otherwise a similiar player, IMO.

Hickey got claimed off waivers and has been establishing himself as a solid bottom pairing guy in NYI. Good skater, makes a nice first pass, solid positionally, but lacking in size and strength. Second on the Islanders in +/- among regular players with a +2. Doesn't make many mistakes defensively, a Toni Lydman type upside it seems.

Old
03-14-2013, 05:56 AM
ps241
The Danish Dash!

Watched the Philly Devils game last night and to me it feels like Laviolette might have lost this team? something seems off.

Old
03-14-2013, 11:22 AM
Lynk
Registered Bro

wow, now the Panthers lose Versteeg for the season with a knee injury.

Closed Thread