Closed Thread

Old
03-01-2013, 01:51 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsFan74 View Post
Looking at how the NYRs are currently going through offensive troubles with Torts at the helm, I doubt if he'll fit in with JN's vision for the team. He most definitely is one of those folks who will hold the individuals accountable, inculcate discipline on the ice, and groom the young ones to pitch in defensively and block shots, but sooner or later, the players are bound to tune him out. I don't see Torts lasting long in NY.
Don't really care. He's worn out his welcome.

Old
03-01-2013, 01:55 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
Dallas isn't a good team. Good teams have discipline and accountability. Good teams make the playoffs. Good teams don't make excuses. Dallas needs a Tortorella or Hitchcock style coach. This team doesn't have the talent to overcome multiple defensive lapses each game. They need a coach who is a hard a$$. The problem is that coaches like Tortorella have a shelf life. Eventually players get fed up and quit listening. Tortorella or Hitchcock cannot be the long term solution. I see nothing wrong with bringing in a coach for several seasons to effect specific changes.
So how does changing a coach every 2 years get you to this point? That's not a reasonable path to stability ... at all.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Fly Like a C5

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
So how does changing a coach every 2 years get you to this point? That's not a reasonable path to stability ... at all.
The team needs major changes. At some point the coach (whoever that happens to be) is going to have to implement discipline and accountability. That means players getting benched, demoted, or scratched from the line up. That's not going to make the coach very popular in the locker room, especially a locker room that's not accustomed to discipline. You need a coach to come in and be the bad guy and make these changes. The way I see it you either hire a hard a$$ who fixes things but is gone in 2 or 3 years or you hire another Gulutzan who refuses to stand up to the veterans and stabilizes the team in mediocrity.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:17 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly Like a C5 View Post
The team needs major changes. At some point the coach (whoever that happens to be) is going to have to implement discipline and accountability. That means players getting benched, demoted, or scratched from the line up. That's not going to make the coach very popular in the locker room, especially a locker room that's not accustomed to discipline. You need a coach to come in and be the bad guy and make these changes. The way I see it you either hire a hard a$$ who fixes things but is gone in 2 or 3 years or you hire another Gulutzan who refuses to stand up to the veterans and stabilizes the team in mediocrity.
Agree to disagree. You can accomplish what you're talking about without saying we need a 2 or 3 year coach. Everyone agrees changes should be coming, but starting with the idea that they need a new coach again in 2 or 3 years is a non-starter for me. Hitchcock stayed 7 years in Dallas, and 4 years in both Phili and Columbus. This idea that a tough coach .. which would be just fine to acquire ... can only last 2 or 3 years isn't a fact like you are stating it.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:18 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
No discipline, no bite from the defense to keep lanes closed and players out of dirty areas. No real tough threats up the lineup probably causes this. Forward combinations that aren't working. Bad line matching decisions.

Still needs some work. Taking Jagr away from Benn might be a good start. And we need to move Morrow because he doesn't have a spot in this lineup that we can adequately put him in. No complements for him.

Old
03-01-2013, 02:32 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
No discipline, no bite from the defense to keep lanes closed and players out of dirty areas. No real tough threats up the lineup probably causes this. Forward combinations that aren't working. Bad line matching decisions.

Still needs some work. Taking Jagr away from Benn might be a good start. And we need to move Morrow because he doesn't have a spot in this lineup that we can adequately put him in. No complements for him.
Like I said ... I agree that these issues that need fixed. I didn't see how that's accomplished by looking for short term coaching options. This 2 to 3 year stuff isn't working.

Old
03-01-2013, 03:05 PM
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
No discipline, no bite from the defense to keep lanes closed and players out of dirty areas. No real tough threats up the lineup probably causes this.
There were some nights when Gully had to roll Robidas, Larsen, and Goligoski out as half of his defense. Those are three very weak and easily batted around players. Only Robidas even has a hint of physicality to his game. It's going to be hard for Gully to coach his team to play tough defense when those three guys are so easily pushed around by most NHL forwards.

I bolded the word lineup because it is a lineup problem. Better coaching can fix some things, but it can't overcome how undersized and physically weak a big chunks of this defense is.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:13 PM
Rune Forumwalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
In this hypothetical where Gully is fired... I'm not saying they have the go the AHL path BTW. If they sign some veteran retread coach that could work too.
Crawford was a veteran retread coach.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:25 PM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Forumwalker View Post
Crawford was a veteran retread coach.
I know you're going for humor ... but if you can't sign an AHL coach ... and you can't sign a re-tread ... you're really diluting the pool.

Old
03-01-2013, 09:35 PM
Rune Forumwalker

You are correct, sir. There was no point besides humor in that line.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:25 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
K I'm on board.

Massively changing the lines with Benn out, spreading the offense out and putting Eriksson on a 3rd line with Fraser was a great idea. Eriksson's scored more at RW, Fraser could use a safety valve, limited minutes etc. They get a practice in as a group on Monday, great.

Then after practice Gully switches it all up and sends Fraser down and Vincour up. Now Eriksson switches to LW, and is on a checking line. The line goes into Tuesday's game with no practice together, and now we're getting shutout.

Absolutely ridiculously stupid move that serves no purpose. Oh and here's Gulutzan on Monday to the media:

Quote:
“You guys want to shuffle lines way too much,” he said to a group of reporters. “If you’re on a line and every day the lines different, you’re thinking, `What did I do wrong?’ If you want to change lines every time you lose, you have no consistency. You have to have consistency. If you have a bad period, people want to change lines, but if it’s 0-0, why do you want to change lines? I think we’ve changed lines out of necessity (because of injuries), but I would like nothing more than having four set lines roll and find chemistry between pairs, roll the D, roll the lines, and play the next 24 games like that.”
We"need chemistry and consistency" so we change the lines massively with Benn out, then do it again last minute after a practice, and oh yea can't mess up those D pairs and get Larsen in!

Toss em.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:33 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

vCash: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
K I'm on board.

Massively changing the lines with Benn out, spreading the offense out and putting Eriksson on a 3rd line with Fraser was a great idea. Eriksson's scored more at RW, Fraser could use a safety valve, limited minutes etc. They get a practice in as a group on Monday, great.

Then after practice Gully switches it all up and sends Fraser down and Vincour up. Now Eriksson switches to LW, and is on a checking line. The line goes into Tuesday's game with no practice together, and now we're getting shutout.

Absolutely ridiculously stupid move that serves no purpose. Oh and here's Gulutzan on Monday to the media:

We"need chemistry and consistency" so we change the lines massively with Benn out, then do it again last minute after a practice, and oh yea can't mess up those D pairs and get Larsen in!

Toss em.
That wasn't his decision, though.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:45 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatvianTwist View Post
That wasn't his decision, though.
You think Joe doesnt' consult with Gulutzan for roster moves?

Old
03-12-2013, 09:47 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
You think Joe doesnt' consult with Gulutzan for roster moves?
I do think that was probably a request from Gully, but we don't know for sure.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Troy McClure

Would a new coach also bring better players?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:15 PM
Antaya

vCash: 50
Who the hell put Reilly Smith up on first line?
I don't even want to see him on our 4th

Old
03-12-2013, 10:17 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antaya View Post
Who the hell put Reilly Smith up on first line?
I don't even want to see him on our 4th
Got anything to back that statement up?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:26 PM
Antaya

vCash: 50
Every game I watch he's just lookin for his own goal...reminds me of Ovie, except he could score.
If he impresses you, enjoy the show.
Watching this kid play is aggravating for me.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Troy McClure

None of the young forwards show a lot of promise so far as high end players. Eakin has been very productive, but his future is as a third line center. Roussel's put up some nice numbers, but he's not going to sustain his scoring pace to be a top six player.

Do Reilly Smith or Matt Fraser have futures in the top six? That might be wishful thinking.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:34 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Fraser should be playing more than Smith. That is all.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:42 PM
LatvianTwist
Global Moderator

Guy Boucher may be under the hot seat...

And if not, Jon Cooper is by far the best candidate besides him.

Even if Laviolette or Torts gets canned, I want whoever ends up w/o the job from Tampa. Both of those guys are gonna be great coaches.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:47 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

Guy Boucher would go straight to the top of my list if he was available. ****ing awesome coach.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
I'd definitely be down for Boucher.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Old
03-12-2013, 10:51 PM
SonicSpeedDash
20% Cooler

Yeah sign me up for Boucher.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:16 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

I was thinking the same about Boucher earlier today. Not sure what to think about Smith. He has some skill but..I dunno. I want to see Fraser get a big chance to see what he can really do with several games in a row in the lineup.

Closed Thread