HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013-14 Flyers Overhaul

Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 10:46 PM
achdumeingute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flukeshot View Post
Looking at the RFA crop, there are some studs. I think we need to offer sheet OEL big time. If Holmgren wants to get super aggressive, offer OEL a contract that is max for 1st and 3rd compensation, around 5m AND Rundblad a decent contract without going over the 2nd.

Similarly, we could do the same with Pietroangelo or **** and the Cole.

Maybe push the tampering rules to the limit by having Holmgren make a generic statement about how he feels the team may have to go for an RFA D again, without naming names. Might make some agents encourage their clients to wait to renew until after open free agency.
lol. Insta matches from their clubs. Get outta here with 5m comp...it will take 12m per for them to walk on OEL.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:48 PM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Can Phoenix really afford to pay OEL big money?
They have $19mil in cap space, according to capgeek. OEL will be their #1 priority. Plus, I'm pretty sure teams can't front-load contracts like the Flyers did with Weber anymore because of the new CBA. I don't see any reason why they can't afford him.

If anything, the Flyers have a better shot at Shattenkirk. The Blues have 7 RFA's to lock up this offseason. Most of them are going to require big contracts. I still don't see it happening though...Shattenkirk is very important to the Blues.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:51 PM
King Forsberg
16 21 28 44 68 88 93

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by McNasty View Post
Can they really afford not to? Sooner or later that team's going to be sold and it's a lot more appealing when you have a young stud defenseman.
Depends on the buyer. A team without a long term big contract might be more appealing. If thy don't get an owner this off season it's hard to imagine them being able to afford a large contract.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:54 PM
TheLegendkiller

We are not getting a no. 1 dman. There's nobody to get. We're going to have to go 6 no. 2s.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
ahthorne

OEL is pretty much Norris worthy as of now. If they can't afford to pay him big money, they do something like trade Yandle for futures and then pay OEL big money. That's how good OEL is. Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk too. McDonagh, Alzner, Bogosian, Rundblad, Leddy, Franson (not a big fan), Josi, Hamonic, and Voynov are all RFA's too, but I don't think an offer sheet will be the answer. The majority of our issues will have to resolved from within or through trade.

Campbell would be solid (does age really matter? Timonen is 2nd in the league in points at 37 IIRC.) as would Bouwmeester, in my opinion.

Moving forward we need to draft/develop defensemen within our own organization... Gustafsson, Manning, MAB and Lauridson are really all we have to show over the past while. Drafting somebody with our 2013 1st rounder (Ristolainen, Zadorov, Pulock, etc.) and maybe getting a college free agent like Sustr (YES PLEASE!) would help. Maybe try and sell at the deadline if things get brutal and get a decent defenseman in a deal who can start in the AHL and work his way up.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
They have $19mil in cap space, according to capgeek. OEL will be their #1 priority. Plus, I'm pretty sure teams can't front-load contracts like the Flyers did with Weber anymore because of the new CBA. I don't see any reason why they can't afford him.

If anything, the Flyers have a better shot at Shattenkirk. The Blues have 7 RFA's to lock up this offseason. Most of them are going to require big contracts. I still don't see it happening though...Shattenkirk is very important to the Blues.
Something centered around Coburn+ for Shattenkirk might be interesting.

If we can get a 1st for Briere, we could offer Coburn + 1st + Cousins/Gustafsson for Shattenkirk.

That might do the trick considering St. Louis' situation.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
Prongo
Beer

Holy Hell just looking at Phoenix contracts.

They have 6 forwards under contract next year. Two who aren't are RFA's
They have 5 defensemen and the two who aren't are RFA's
They have no goalies signed.

They will have to spend a pretty penny to reach the cap floor next year. Also the only spend around there, so they don't have all the cap space up to 64.3. Their internal cap will be 50 million probably, or should be because they are owned by the league.

Old
03-12-2013, 10:57 PM
LegionOfDoom91

Ever since the Weber offersheet this summer everybody thinks we should offersheet every RFA now. Under the new CBA offersheets are basically pointless now.

Old
03-12-2013, 11:58 PM
YuioIklo

Forget Perry guys... it's not a need right now. At 8-9M, he would kill us when we'll have to re-sign Giroux and other guys.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:23 AM
Snipsnap12

If we buyout Bryz I would not mind trying to pick up Jonathan Bernier

Old
03-13-2013, 12:29 AM
The Couturier Effect

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
If we buyout Bryz I would not mind trying to pick up Jonathan Bernier
Same here...if the price is right.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:32 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan8828 View Post
Same here...if the price is right.
Would be cheaper, and from how he has been playing would be a considerable upgrade. But yes I concur

Old
03-13-2013, 04:03 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegionOfDoom91 View Post
Ever since the Weber offersheet this summer everybody thinks we should offersheet every RFA now. Under the new CBA offersheets are basically pointless now.
Not necessarily true.

It all depends on how confident you are as a GM/Owner in your ability to re-sign a player / convince a player that Philly is the destination for them.

If you feel confident that OEL or Pietrangelo would like it in Philly and would re-sign, you can offer either one a 1 year / 12M deal. Can't think Phoenix or STL matches that. But then you basically lose your RFA rights to either player the next off-season because you're not going to extend a 12M qualifying offer. So somewhere in that next 1 year, you'd need to sign the player long term, or else you just traded 4 1sts for 1 year of OEL/Pietro.

It'd be a serious gamble, but would I really put it past Holmgren to gamble like that? No. Plus, far as I know, there'd be nothing prohibiting the Flyers' from giving OEL or Pietro a long-term extension the day after he becomes their property, since you'd be inside of 1 year till the contract expires. Handshake deal perhaps?

If you don't like that option though, there's a potentially less-risky strategy, though it might be more likely to be matched:

You could offer-sheet OEL or Pietrangelo @ ~9.4M for 1 year. Again, very difficult for either team to match. And in the case that they don't match, and OEL/Pietro don't want to re-sign here (I would think they'd want to be here long term if they sign the OS, but you never know), you can still take them to salary arbitration the following year. Since no defenseman in the league is being paid over 8M/year, the Flyers would seek the maximum allowable 15% reduction in salary, and would almost certainly win, which would result in a manageable cap hit of ~7.99M for 2014-2015. And then going forward, the qualifying offer to retain OEL/Petro as an RFA in subsequent years would only be 7.99M, which is worth it IMO, given the fact that the Flyers have nothing even close to resembling a #1 defenseman, the fact that #1 defensemen almost never become UFAs, and the fact that if a true #1 defenseman ever did make it to UFA status and we were lucky enough to have him sign here, we'd be paying him more than 7.99M anyway.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:40 AM
Schenn Bros Pizza*

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
lol. Insta matches from their clubs. Get outta here with 5m comp...it will take 12m per for them to walk on OEL.
Thank you. 5m.... Phhhht.

Old
03-13-2013, 06:27 AM
Psuhockey

People need to let the idea of a successful offersheet go. It's not going to happen. Nashville is paying Weber more than their franchise is worth. Colorado is going to pay Oreilly 6.5 million dollars next year. Vanek was one of the top 5 highest paid forwards at the time of Buffalo matching the offer, and Buffalo was a budget team. OEL and Piertangelo are not coming here. Only one offer sheet has been successful in the cap era and that was Dustin Penner. The Flyers will have to look elsewhere to fix the defense.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Protest
C`est La Vie

Corey Perry is under a PPG player for his past 4 seasons, that includes scoring 98 points in one of those, and people are going to give this dude Crosby type money? He's not worth it, at all. That's the kind of contract that can cripple a team with the way the cap is coming down.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:42 PM
captainpaxil

i wouldnt overhaul anything. i think with this group of rfas coming the importance of being a team guy has to be right there and obvious to the players and if you are to be a good squad you hve to fit all your good players under the cap. you do that by changing the pattern thats been established the last few years of signing and then trading players. let these guys gel and hang around another year if possible and let it play out.

Old
03-13-2013, 01:51 PM
chromemaro

Overhaul starts with a 1 dimensional winger....considering we are bottom 4 in goals allowed, id start with players who can play some D

Old
03-13-2013, 02:43 PM
SolidSnakeUS

Coburn, Gus + a 4th for Buff + 2nd.
Briere + Talbot to Phoenix for 1st, 3rd + Gordon (trade deadline so we have Gordon to play here and re-sign him in the off-season).

Hartnell-Giroux-Voracek
Read-Schenn-Simmonds
Gagne-Couturier-xxxx
Rinaldo-Gordon-xxxx

Grossmann-Buff
Timonen-Schenn
Mez-Gervais/high 1st round D-man
xxxx

Bryz
xxxx

For the draft, we would have 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds. We can really fill up on some good to great players with this many picks.

Old
03-13-2013, 03:34 PM
McNasty

If they're moving Briere to Phoenix (where I don't believe he would want to go) why would the Flyers not seek out a defenseman instead of a 1st round pick that's years away?

Old
03-13-2013, 03:58 PM
Broad Street Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSnakeUS View Post
Coburn, Gus + a 4th for Buff + 2nd.
Briere + Talbot to Phoenix for 1st, 3rd + Gordon (trade deadline so we have Gordon to play here and re-sign him in the off-season).
Breaking the first deal down...

Gus +4th = (at best) 2nd
Coburn < Buff

I seriously doubt that Briere waves for Phoenix (again), but that deal is close.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:04 PM
Prongo
Beer

I also am in the boat about Briere probably not wanting to go back to Phoenix. I said before the two places that make the most sense 1) St Louis and 2) Nashville. Both could use a second line center, but one could desperately use some scoring punch. Budget teams who can handle his contract and he can talk to a few players about their time there. Boston is an out side chance I think just because they are in the same conference.

Old
03-13-2013, 04:27 PM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
People need to let the idea of a successful offersheet go. It's not going to happen. Nashville is paying Weber more than their franchise is worth. Colorado is going to pay Oreilly 6.5 million dollars next year. Vanek was one of the top 5 highest paid forwards at the time of Buffalo matching the offer, and Buffalo was a budget team. OEL and Piertangelo are not coming here. Only one offer sheet has been successful in the cap era and that was Dustin Penner. The Flyers will have to look elsewhere to fix the defense.
If you were to Offersheet OEL or Pietrangelo @ 1 year / $9.4M, do you think either team matches?

I'd be particularly interested in your thoughts on St. Louis matching (or not matching) because I think Pietrangelo is one of the top 5 defensemen in the league and because if STL did decide to match that, I would think Shattenkirk might be able to be had.

Old
03-13-2013, 05:46 PM
CyborgLindros

I doubt Briere moves. He wants to be close to his kids. He's not a young guy by any means and what matters to him might not be a cup now. It might be watching his kids grow up. I can't say I'd blame him for forcing a buyout at the end of the season etc.
If we buy out Briere than Bryz automatically stays. This year making a deal for Howard impossible. Also if Howard does want to leave Detriot he won't be coming to Philly cheap. Everyone knows the deal Bryz got and we don't add Howard without making it difficult to sign Schenn, G, Couts

Old
03-13-2013, 06:10 PM
DrHamburg

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Scott Hartnell ($4.750m) / Claude Giroux ($3.750m) / Jakub Voracek ($4.250m)
David Perron ($3.813m) / Brayden Schenn ($3.110m) / Wayne Simmonds ($3.975m)
Simon Gagne ($1.800m) / Sean Couturier ($1.375m) / Matt Read ($0.900m)
Maxime Talbot ($1.750m) / Scott Laughton ($1.138m) / Zac Rinaldo ($0.578m)
Tye McGinn ($0.775m) /
DEFENSEMEN
Kimmo Timonen ($6.000m) / Luke Schenn ($3.600m)
Braydon Coburn ($4.500m) / Nicklas Grossmann ($3.500m)
Robyn Regehr ($4.000m) / Jordan Leopold ($3.000m)
Bruno Gervais ($0.825m) / Marc-Andre Bourdon ($0.613m)
GOALTENDERS
Mike Smith ($2.500m)
Evgeni Nabokov ($2.250m)
OTHER
Buyout: Oskars Bartulis ($0.100m)

------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,300,024; BONUSES: $3,012,500
CAP SPACE (24-man roster): $7,801,476

I tried to keep it somewhat realistic. The first thing I did was trade Briere and Meszaros to the blues for David Perron. Briere replaces mcdonald next season. Blues normally are way under the cap and Danny B is only getting 3 mil in real money. Would like Brian Elliot as well, if the Flyers cant get him, I put them at making a move for mike smith.

Then I signed Nabokov as a backup goalie. I think he can be Bryz like this season and post up decent numbers.

Resigned Gagne, I think he could be a good contributer on the 3rd line. Cheap and effective.

I added two more D-men in Regehr and Leopold (Not a fan of Leopold but tried to keep it realistic). This team would have 8 million in cap space. More than enough to trade for a better and higher priced goalie, enough to pick up someone on the last year of a deal at the trade deadline, quality depth.

Closed Thread