HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

NJD 2013 Draft Thread

Closed Thread

Old
03-07-2013, 08:10 AM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
I like Monahan, didn't think we'd suck enough to get there though. Hopefully we don't.

Old
03-07-2013, 08:27 AM
GameSeven
ἢ τὰς ἢ ἐπὶ τὰς

For those of you familiar with OOTP Baseball, the company is producing Franchise Hockey Manager 2013 which is in Beta for fans who've preordered. In any case, something caught my eye in one of their recent screenshots. God help this board if it reaches this point

Old
03-07-2013, 09:11 AM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
For those of you familiar with OOTP Baseball, the company is producing Franchise Hockey Manager 2013 which is in Beta for fans who've preordered. In any case, something caught my eye in one of their recent screenshots. God help this board if it reaches this point

I'd take Drouin over Jones

Old
03-08-2013, 06:02 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Cool picture.

Only 4 of them made the NHL right away. Matteau included.

Old
03-08-2013, 06:31 PM
Eggers
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Eggers
Seeing Derrick Pouliot that high makes me laugh. I can't wait for the Penguins strategy of only drafting "Penguins players" (i.e. only North Americans) to backfire.

Old
03-09-2013, 08:26 AM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova III View Post
I'd take Drouin over Jones
Same here.

I'd take Drouin 1st overall in all honesty and I've said so several times. He has the skillset of a Patrick Kane and isn't shy to throw his weight around.

Just thinking that he can be Kovy's left winger has me creaming my pants already

Old
03-12-2013, 03:38 PM
Brodeur

Now with Boston/Calgary/LA getting past the 24 game barrier...............

..........here's my highly inaccurate midseason mock draft (through the Devils pick in round 2). Teams ranked by win percentage with the division winners picking 25-30 (and alternating by conference).

1st Round
-----------------
1. Florida (.385) - D Seth Jones - Potential franchise D to stabilize their blueline. Panthers have Nick Bjugstad coming in eventually to supplement their offense.

2. Buffalo (.404) - LW Jonathan Drouin - Not necessarily just because Buffalo is 'set' as center with Hodgson/Grigorenko/Girgensons, but Drouin has seemingly vaulted himself into the discussion at #2 with MacKinnon. Also, Vanek is UFA after 2014.

3. Tampa Bay (.420) - C Nathan MacKinnon - Steve Yzerman might have some first hand knowledge of being on a team with two #1 centers. MacKinnon could play wing as well. By the time MacKinnon's hitting his stride, Lecavalier will be 35+. Yzerman hasn't been shy to draft Russians, so perhaps Nichushkin enters the conversation as well.

4. Washington (.438) - C Aleksander Barkov - Caps are probably familiar with Nichushkin who is on the same team as Evgeni Kuznetsov. While they were patient with Kuznetsov, I could see the Caps going with the 'safer' pick in Barkov. Not to imply that Barkov doesn't have immense potential.

5. Calgary (.458) - C Sean Monahan - Flames have been searching for a #1 center for years and Monahan has drawn comparisons to the Staals.

6. Edmonton (.460) - D Darnell Nurse - Described as a poor man's Seth Jones. Would be a much needed solid D to add to the core of young forwards.

7. Columbus (.462) - LW Valeri Nichushkin - Perhaps some fear due to memories of Zherdev/Filatov, but Nichushkin could be a top 5 talent for this draft. Might be fun to see how aggressive Columbus might be in trading up with their multiple picks. St. Louis, under the direction of Jarmo, offered up picks #9 and #24 to move up to #6 for Jakub Voracek in 2007. Could they move up and get a guy like MacKinnon?

8. Philadelphia (.463) - D Nikita Zadorov - Allegedly were going to take Duncan Siemens in 2011 before Couturier unexpectedly fell. Zadorov is a smooth skating and physical 6'5 defender. Question remains how much offensive upside he possesses.

9. NY Islanders (.481) - C/RW Elias Lindholm - The slick Swede slides down a few spots. Only drawback is that he's a little on the small side. Primarily listed as a center, Lindholm has been playing wing this year. So he might be a candidate to flank Tavares or Strome down the road.

10. Colorado (.500) - C/RW Hunter Shinkaruk - Smaller goal scoring forward in the mold of Jeff Skinner.

11. Nashville (.520) - C/LW Alexander Wennberg - Preds might be interested in trading down to recoup some lost picks and restock their farm. But they could use the versatile Wennberg who might be a closer to NHL ready than most first year eligibles.

12. Winnipeg (.520) - C Frederik Gauthier - Big centerman has been compared to Keith Primeau. Would make for an interesting mix down the middle with Scheifele and Burmistrov.

13. Phoenix (.540) - C Max Domi - Coyotes have had a penchant lately of taking sons of former NHLers in the first round. Domi is a slick playmaker but has size concerns.

14. Dallas (.542) - D Rasmus Ristolainen - Lately it seems like Ristolainen is dropping in the rankings. Dallas could use a RH cornerstone D. Ristolainen's upside would be something like a Brent Seabrook.

15. New Jersey (.558) - C/LW Bo Horvat - Might be a good spot to trade down (with say Columbus or Montreal?). But here, the Devils would land a multipurpose forward in Horvat. Craig Button described him as somebody he'd trust to play in 11/12 forward spots on his team (aka everything but 1st line center). Cue the "BO KNOWS HOCKEY" ad campaign.

16. Detroit (.558) - LW Adam Erne - Allegedly the Wings were targeting Tyler Biggs in 2011. Despite their stable of skilled forwards, the Wings could still be on the search for some size and grit up front. Erne is having a productive year in the Q and brings decent size and skill.

17. St. Louis (.560) - D Josh Morrissey - Pretty well stocked everywhere, but could use a LH puckmoving D.

18. San Jose (.583) - D Ryan Pulock - Probably unlikely to fall this far, but Pulock is an offensive minded RH D. Pulock might be a good apprentice to replace Dan Boyle.

19. Columbus [via NY Rangers (.583)] - RW Valentin Zykov - Rising up draft charts of late. Goal scoring winger is having a solid season in the Q.

20. Vancouver (.583) - C Curtis Lazar - Canucks take a BC product in Lazar who seems to be the "love him/hate him" prospect this year.

21. Ottawa (.596) - LW Andre Burakowsky - Sens are filled to the brim with RH forwards. Lots of LH left wingers still available at this spot so they could look to trade down and recoup the 2nd rounder they gave up for Ben Bishop.

22. Toronto (.596) - G Zach Fucale - Should be interesting to see where Fucale lands. Could make an argument for him in a number of spots. This trade wouldn't necessarily preclude Toronto from trading for an established goalie.

23. Columbus [via Los Angeles (.625)] - C J.T. Compher - Another personal favorite for this draft. Described as a mini-Kesler. Wouldn't mind him on the Devils, but that might just be my subconscious wanting an excuse to keep watching Michigan. Probably needs 3+ years to physically mature.

24. Montreal (.731) - LW Anthony Mantha - Productive winger missed the cutoff for last year's draft by a day. Montreal has a ton of picks this year, so they might be aggressive in moving up.

25. Minnesota (.583) - D Robert Hagg - Offensive minded Swedish defender with some skating concerns.

26. Carolina (.604) - RW Ryan Hartman - Usually a decent bet that Carolina will take a highly regarded prospect from Plymouth.

27. Pittsburgh (.692) - LW Kerby Rychel - Draws comparisons to one time Penguin Gary Roberts.

28. Anaheim (.813) - LW Artturi Lehkonen - Will be interesting to see what the Ducks do with Corey Perry. They're well-stocked throughout, but adding another goal scoring winger might not be a bad move if they lose Perry for nothing.

29. Boston (.804) - D Steve Santini - Stay at home D is slated to attend Boston College this fall.

30. Chicago (.865) - LW Jason Dickinson - Some have him ranked in the 15-20 range. Apparently his production has slowed of late, but Chicago would add a winger with good upside.

2nd Round
-----------------
31. Florida - C Nic Petan - If they have repeated viewings of Seth Jones, they may learn to like his diminutive teammate. The 5'9 dynamic center is tearing up the WHL this season.

32. Buffalo - D Mirco Mueller - Swiss defender is having a solid season in the WHL.

33. Tampa Bay - D Madison Bowey - After adding MacKinnon, Tampa might lean towards a D in round 2. Bowey would be a nice fit as a RH shot.

34. Washington - D Keaton Thompson - Puckmoving D is slated for North Dakota in the fall.

35. Montreal (via Calgary) - C Laurent Dauphin - Seems to be a nice sleeper prospect.

36. Edmonton - G Tristan Jarry - Wouldn't be the first time that Edmonton would 'reach' for an Oil King prospect. Jarry is putting up some ridiculous numbers for Edmonton of the WHL though.

37. Columbus - LW Jacob De La Rose - Big winger with wheels is a work in progress offensively.

38. Philadelphia - LW Morgan Klimchuk - Productive but small winger.

39. Anaheim (via NY Islanders) - D Ian McCoshen - Ducks have landed some local SoCal kids in Emerson Etem and Nic Kerdiles recently. Here they'd add another with McCoshen who is putting up solid numbers in the USHL.

40. Colorado - D Shea Theodore - They might be familiar with Theodore who was teammates in Seattle with current Avs AHL goalie Calvin Pickard.

41. Montreal (via Nashville) - G Eric Comrie - Obviously not a need pick, but they'd add a solid prospect to a pipeline currently missing goalies. Comrie has a season ending hip injury, so that might cause him to drop.

42. Winnipeg - D Chris Bigras - Solid two way defender for Owen Sound.

43. Phoenix - RW Justin Bailey - Another Kitchener Ranger for alumnus and Coyotes GM Don Maloney.

44. Dallas - LW Anthony Duclair - Potential first round talent but was recently reprimanded (along with Adam Erne) by the team for selfish play.

45. New Jersey - C/LW William Carrier - Slick forward with a late '94 birthdate. Missed a good chunk of the season with an ankle injury but Central Scouting still had him at #14 at the midterm.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
DEVILS ALL THE WAY*
Yes, I'm a hypocrite

Solid mock.... but if we have a shot at Erne and end up picking Horvat instead, I'd be pretty pissed.

Adam Erne is a prototypical power forward who can finish as well. He might sound like a better version of Matteau but I'd rather go with a strong skating, hard hitting, drive to the net type of winger over another "Josefson" type of player.

And for our 2nd round pick, if we can land William Carrier with the 45th overall pick... someone call the cops cause Lou just commited highway robbery.

Just me 2 cents

Old
03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
Eggers

If we're actually picking at #15, PLEASE LORD GIVE US GAUTHIER.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:17 PM
CerebralGenesis

I know Carrier has been all over the place depending on who you ask but I sort of doubt he falls that low.

I dunno who I want us to draft yet... no one is screaming at me like some of the other years in the middle to late 1st.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:18 PM
Feed Me A Stray Cat

Send a message via AIM to Feed Me A Stray Cat
Sorry if this was covered earlier, but are tickets available yet?

Old
03-12-2013, 04:19 PM
hlaverty06

We need LW Valeri Nichushkin

He'd be great

Old
03-12-2013, 04:21 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

It`s hard for me to believe that if we had a choice, we`d draft Horvat over Mantha. And I love Horvat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
If we're actually picking at #15, PLEASE LORD GIVE US GAUTHIER.
I used to call Malkin "The Big Bear". It fits Gauthier better.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
Eggers

Also if Ristolainen is still there when we pick, that's gonna be a tough choice for Lou. He and lot of people probably assume we're set on D, but a potential #1 D prospect is gonna be worth more in a trade than a guy like Horvat I think, and then if any or all of Gelinas or Merrill or Severson don't work out, it'll be some good insurance.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:27 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

If we actually drafted the player I interviewed, that`d be very cool.

Nichuskhin is so ******* awkward outside of the rink though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Also if Ristolainen is still there when we pick, that's gonna be a tough choice for Lou. He and lot of people probably assume we're set on D, but a potential #1 D prospect is gonna be worth more in a trade than a guy like Horvat I think, and then if any or all of Gelinas or Merrill or Severson don't work out, it'll be some good insurance.
Good point, but I haven`t seen enough of him so I`m not gonna speculate about him.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:41 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
Now with Boston/Calgary/LA getting past the 24 game barrier...............

..........here's my highly inaccurate midseason mock draft (through the Devils pick in round 2). Teams ranked by win percentage with the division winners picking 25-30 (and alternating by conference).

1st Round
-----------------
1. Florida (.385) - D Seth Jones - Potential franchise D to stabilize their blueline. Panthers have Nick Bjugstad coming in eventually to supplement their offense.

2. Buffalo (.404) - LW Jonathan Drouin - Not necessarily just because Buffalo is 'set' as center with Hodgson/Grigorenko/Girgensons, but Drouin has seemingly vaulted himself into the discussion at #2 with MacKinnon. Also, Vanek is UFA after 2014.

3. Tampa Bay (.420) - C Nathan MacKinnon - Steve Yzerman might have some first hand knowledge of being on a team with two #1 centers. MacKinnon could play wing as well. By the time MacKinnon's hitting his stride, Lecavalier will be 35+. Yzerman hasn't been shy to draft Russians, so perhaps Nichushkin enters the conversation as well.
These 3 kids can go 1-2-3 in any order. Personally I'd think Florida would target Drouin to play with Huberdeau, Buffalo would target Jones with Myers being a disappointment, and Tampa targets MacKinnon for the seasons you said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Team has kept hush about it so far.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:47 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
These 3 kids can go 1-2-3 in any order. Personally I'd think Florida would target Drouin to play with Huberdeau, Buffalo would target Jones with Myers being a disappointment, and Tampa targets MacKinnon for the seasons you said.
I got chills just thinking about it.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:49 PM
Brodeur

Quote:
Originally Posted by CerebralGenesis View Post
I dunno who I want us to draft yet... no one is screaming at me like some of the other years in the middle to late 1st.
Kinda have the same feeling, although I really like what I've read about Compher. Standings are still very much in flux. Before the recent swoon, I comfortably had us taking Compher at #24. Seems like a ton of wingers in the 15-35 range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feed Me A Stray Cat View Post
Off the top of my head, teams usually release some sort of info in late April. I'm sure TG will post something whenever it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
For sure, this year's draft is one of the more interesting ones at the top. The lottery winner will definitely be a monkey wrench.

Old
03-12-2013, 06:15 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeur View Post
For sure, this year's draft is one of the more interesting ones at the top. The lottery winner will definitely be a monkey wrench.
Agreed, but I think 2011's will ultimately have more top end talent.

In 2011, you could make a case for RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau, Larsson, or Couturier to go 1st overall. This year it's only a 3 horse race, but all 3 guys are great.

Old
03-12-2013, 07:46 PM
GM17*
ALL HAIL LORD FISH

Erne is a lot like Evander Kane

Old
03-12-2013, 07:56 PM
CerebralGenesis

I feel like a different guy on that list intrigues me every week. For awhile Mantha seemed very tantalizing and then Zykov seemed to be awesome but he seems to be shooting up the draft board with every new ranking.

Nichushkin would also be an incredible piece to add but we wouldn't see him for probably 3-4 years. He could go pretty much anywhere from 6-20 too so who knows where he gets snared.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:07 PM
Seto
New Jersey 5000

Definitely take Mantha or Erne over Horvat at 15. Both huge, skilled, and can skate.

Old
03-12-2013, 09:20 PM
Czech Trio
from jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by GM17 View Post
Erne is a lot like Evander Kane
We could use a fast skilled winger for Zajac

Old
03-12-2013, 10:00 PM
TaiMaiShu
back to square one

vCash: 50
How does Larsson and Jones compare during their draft years?

Old
03-12-2013, 10:01 PM
Devils Trap
Cory's Better

Send a message via AIM to Devils Trap
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiMaiShu View Post
How does Larsson and Jones compare during their draft years?
I think Jones is projected to be better then Larsson but I think Larsson was more NHL ready at the time of his draft.

Closed Thread