HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Non-Sports > Geek Emporium
Geek Emporium Discuss computers, hardware, software, electronics, video games, internet, etc.

Sim City

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2013, 08:23 AM
  #876
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat
 
Shrimper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Essex
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 68,713
vCash: 50
One thing I don't like about Sim City is that you can build less cities and they seem smallers than the ones in Sim City 4. In Sim City 4 you had big and little cities and could cram a million people into them, I just can't see how you can do that in this version as you'll need to build things like Airports and they take up a lot of room.

Shrimper is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 08:23 AM
  #877
WhipNash27
Quattro!!
 
WhipNash27's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Westchester, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 15,497
vCash: 500
I can't believe how weird the servers are. Last night I was on from like 8:30pm to 11pm with no issues. I went to go view another city and the servers went down so the game froze while trying to load the city. Then I exited and came back and I was on the waiting list. How are there more people on the NA East server at 11:45pm on a weeknight than earlier in the night?

WhipNash27 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 08:46 AM
  #878
D Fresh
Lost Horizons
 
D Fresh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,753
vCash: 50
Seems pretty official.

The glorious mayor Doug has been evicted from his own town.

The pollution protesters contacted Anonymous who in turn DDoS'd the city to the point of no return. Through these attacks even Doug himself was denied access, and after many attempts was locked out due to system errors.

These protesters may have beaten me, but the city will have its revenge. I call all Sims to meet at City Hall with weapons and squash these criminals, then I shall build a new town with more parks and cheaper taxes to show my <3

Long live the mayor.

Long live Doug.

D Fresh is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 09:12 AM
  #879
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 179,729
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
One thing I don't like about Sim City is that you can build less cities and they seem smallers than the ones in Sim City 4. In Sim City 4 you had big and little cities and could cram a million people into them, I just can't see how you can do that in this version as you'll need to build things like Airports and they take up a lot of room.

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 09:26 AM
  #880
Rob Brown
Way She Goes
 
Rob Brown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,203
vCash: 500
Tempted to just download Sim City 4.

Rob Brown is online now  
Old
03-12-2013, 09:28 AM
  #881
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 179,729
vCash: 500
Sim City 4 has that addictive nature about it. Just press r, set up roads all over the place, and then plop massive swaths of residential and commercial all over. It takes time to get used to the new Sim City 5 when you play 4 as much as I have. For example, you can't make 3x3 or 4x4 plots, the zone size is defined.

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:08 PM
  #882
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT
 
Graveland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Sunnyvale
Country: United States
Posts: 11,276
vCash: 50

Graveland is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:11 PM
  #883
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Alexandria
Country: Liberia
Posts: 37,269
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixcuincle View Post
Sim City 4 has that addictive nature about it. Just press r, set up roads all over the place, and then plop massive swaths of residential and commercial all over. It takes time to get used to the new Sim City 5 when you play 4 as much as I have. For example, you can't make 3x3 or 4x4 plots, the zone size is defined.
I'm thinking Sim City 4 is a game I need to own. It's the only one besides 5 I haven't played.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:48 PM
  #884
Richards to Gaborik
Registered User
 
Richards to Gaborik's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Connecticut
Country: United States
Posts: 930
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I'm thinking Sim City 4 is a game I need to own. It's the only one besides 5 I haven't played.
Absolutely. The game itself is good, but the MOD community is just absurd, and so in depth. I've downloaded hundreds of new buildings alone, which adds a lot to the game. But there are also very in depth mods that allow you to build the roads/terrain/etc that would be impossible with the basic game. I have played the game off and on since it first came on, and all this simicty talk is making me consider playing it again

Richards to Gaborik is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 03:59 PM
  #885
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 179,729
vCash: 500
I've spent the last 2 days playing way too much Sim City 4. Damn that game.

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:00 PM
  #886
Francesa
(╯□)╯︵ ʞooqǝɔɐℲ
 
Francesa's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Country: United Kingdom
Posts: 179,729
vCash: 500

Francesa is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 04:24 PM
  #887
Sovereign
sic parvis magna
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
god, I miss those giant maps.

Sovereign is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:17 PM
  #888
yakitate304
Crunch Time
 
yakitate304's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: NY
Country: St Lucia
Posts: 13,915
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richards to Gaborik View Post
Absolutely. The game itself is good, but the MOD community is just absurd, and so in depth. I've downloaded hundreds of new buildings alone, which adds a lot to the game. But there are also very in depth mods that allow you to build the roads/terrain/etc that would be impossible with the basic game. I have played the game off and on since it first came on, and all this simicty talk is making me consider playing it again
I have yet to play SC4, but I have downloaded:

Network Addon Mod (NAM) and
IH Missing Jobs Fix


If I were to start a city and then download new buildings/roads/terrains/etc. would I be able to put them into my existing save?

yakitate304 is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:21 PM
  #889
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls
 
Tubby Tuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,546
vCash: 500
Is anyone online on NA East 2 HF? I need an invite since the original one setup is no longer working.

Tubby Tuke is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:30 PM
  #890
Jonesey
KCCO
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,779
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by peon View Post
Is anyone online on NA East 2 HF? I need an invite since the original one setup is no longer working.
I am. Send me a friend request. Jonesey07

__________________
Posted by: Live in the Now
I've grown soft.
Jonesey is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 05:35 PM
  #891
Tubby Tuke
Drafting my Overalls
 
Tubby Tuke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,546
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trade Legwand View Post
I am. Send me a friend request. Jonesey07
Alright I think I sent one - I'm FutonMan

Tubby Tuke is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:32 PM
  #892
jimmythescot
Registered User
 
jimmythescot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland
Country: Canada
Posts: 4,262
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
I appreciate this.


Love that film.

jimmythescot is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:34 PM
  #893
Sovereign
sic parvis magna
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
What the hell? My sims are getting dumber.

Sovereign is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 06:45 PM
  #894
Jonesey
KCCO
 
Jonesey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Smyrna, Tennessee
Country: United States
Posts: 7,779
vCash: 500
My trade city is loaded with cash. Sitting at over 4,000,000 right now and just over 30,000 sims.

Jonesey is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 07:12 PM
  #895
DrFeelgood
Chairman Meow
 
DrFeelgood's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Redwood City, CA
Country: United States
Posts: 18,379
vCash: 500
Game is going to be much more fun once the Global Market kicks in and you have a real economy. People are going to have to move away from the all-electronics cities if they're going to want to survive.

DrFeelgood is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 08:51 PM
  #896
Sovereign
sic parvis magna
 
Sovereign's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,726
vCash: 500
Damn, the market price for processors will be next to nothing.

Sovereign is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 10:14 PM
  #897
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakitate304 View Post
I have yet to play SC4, but I have downloaded:

Network Addon Mod (NAM) and
IH Missing Jobs Fix


If I were to start a city and then download new buildings/roads/terrains/etc. would I be able to put them into my existing save?
Yes, you will be able to add newly downloaded goodies to your existing cities.

Not long ago I finally got around to downloading the RTMT pack and, while I'm not using the actual road top stations (there are none for the NWM yet, and I can't live without those), I have begun replacing all of my maxis subway stations with the excellent subay/bus station combo that is included with the set.

Avder is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 10:37 PM
  #898
XX
... Waiting
 
XX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: 48th State
Country: United States
Posts: 27,236
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFeelgood View Post
Game is going to be much more fun once the Global Market kicks in and you have a real economy. People are going to have to move away from the all-electronics cities if they're going to want to survive.
Traffic and poor routing is the source of nearly every grievance I have with this game. A one way road system would literally fix everything.

XX is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 10:38 PM
  #899
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
One thing I don't like about Sim City is that you can build less cities and they seem smallers than the ones in Sim City 4. In Sim City 4 you had big and little cities and could cram a million people into them, I just can't see how you can do that in this version as you'll need to build things like Airports and they take up a lot of room.
A Million?



With NAM, much larger cities are possible.

I have played way too much Sim City 4 in the last few months. This city is the largest in a region that is just passing 20,000,000 sims. I have 4 other cities above 1,000,000. A 2,100,000 city with all wealth types, a 1,300,000 city with only medium and high, a 1,100,000 city with only high, and a 1,100,000 medium tile city that is medium and low only.

This city above only has low and medium wealth residents, but commercial of all wealth is allowed. The reason the R and I bars are negative is the 20% tax rates on high wealth residential and dirty industry, as well as an 11% tax on manufacturing.

Avder is offline  
Old
03-12-2013, 10:40 PM
  #900
Avder
Global Moderator
Sleep? What's that?
 
Avder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The ANGRY DOME
Country: United States
Posts: 31,450
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by XX View Post
Traffic and poor routing is the source of nearly every grievance I have with this game. A one way road system would literally fix everything.
From what I heard they used the same "shortest path" routing that was present in vanilla sim city 4 as well. Sounds like a big mistake to me.

At least in SC4 you have NAM, which provides "fastest path" instead. I hated having to checkerboard all of my cities in order to avoid massive unemployment. Totally unrealistic.

Avder is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.