HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Higgins will score 30 this year!

Old
07-28-2006, 08:41 PM
paddy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerryson View Post
I would rather see him with Plekanec, I think those could me a way more effective FOR TEAM as checking line + PKs and very dangerous in offensive zone with their cycling etc...
Will people stop talking about a checking line? We have to get rid of that mentality because I don't think that you need a strict checking line in today's NHL if your team has enough talent and depth. You roll 3 balanced offensive lines and one gritty line to wear the opposition down and build momentum. If you want to match lines, then you do it with one of your 4 lines. You can decided to match power for power (line 1 vs line 1), or match by attributes. Want proof that it works? Look at our last two playoff runs (Koivu vs Thornton & Pleks vs Staal).

I was so glad when Gainey decided towards the end of last season and during the playoffs to go with 3 offensive lines.

As for Higgins having chemistry with Pleks, that's also a myth. He doesn't have any more chemistry with Pleks as with any other centerman (and certainly more with Koivu). They play well together in the PK, but two good PKer's will do that. As for 5-on-5, I haven't seen any special chemistry between them.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:44 PM
paddy

While Chris can certainly score 30, I think we should also not get carried away and think he'll always pot 30 to 40 goals per season. He's a good two-way player that I see scoring 25-30 goals each year. I think he should put up Drury-like numbers.

paddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 08:50 PM
larue*

Man we scored bigtime on this 1st round selection. Chris is going to be a treat to watch for years.

larue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
We as Montreal Canadien fans,,,,have on our hands,,,,,Christopher Higgins....soon to be the best 2-way forward the USA has ever produced.
I don't think he'l be better then Modano?

Maxpac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:00 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel the great! View Post
I don't think he'l be better then Modano?
Well Im sorry to say bud but I do!!!!!

Old
07-28-2006, 10:45 PM
NewHabsEra*

If Carbo use Higgins with Koivu again 25-30 goals isnt impossible but dont forget Higgins isnt an elite offensive foward, isnt a natural goals scorer, he is a great all around player with some real skills.. I expect our 3 first lines to score goals with consistency even strength.

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Pascal

I've been high on this kid for a long time, and i am glad he is finally getting his chance.

He'll be our captain when koivu retires.

Pascal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 09:01 AM
Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash13 View Post
Making assumptions is what gets people in trouble.

I like Higgins, probably my second favourite hab, but last year was almost a perfect rookie year for him. Everything went right, which is very rare. How will he respond to being keyed in on? Will the sophomore jinx hit? Can he sustain the pace he was at near the end of the season?

He does have the potential to score 30 but give the kid a break. We have people talking 30 goals, Koivu getting a 100 points. I am all for optimism but keep in reality here as well.

I for one can't wait til we get to talk about something meaningful instead of all these fantasy tales of trades, rumors, and projections.
I agree.

Dynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 10:04 AM
RedArmyMontreal*

Quote:
Originally Posted by larue View Post
Well Im sorry to say bud but I do!!!!!
I think you are on the wrong forums

try rds.ca

RedArmyMontreal* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:00 AM
Ape Clutch

Send a message via MSN to Ape Clutch Send a message via Yahoo to Ape Clutch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philipos_19 View Post
I think you are on the wrong forums

try rds.ca
bug off man, he's just high on Higgins...he has the right to think that favourably about a prospect...other teams, their fans do the same things. don't insinuate he's a moron from rds.ca forums who lost his way. Not to mention that he's been here since March 2004 and you've only been here since January. That's a lack of respect for him. If you were on the pitch and i was the ref I'd give You a red card.

Show some respect for ur fellow hf'ers, it's important man he did nothing to you.

Ape Clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:03 AM
Madevilz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsArea View Post
I expect our 3 first lines to score goals with consistency even strength.

That is something I have not seen in ages.

Madevilz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 11:13 AM
felixd

Quote:
Originally Posted by turnbuckle View Post
I must have missed the memo. Everyone is predicting 40 goals for Ryder? I'm not expecting that.

As for everyone assuming that Koivu will play with Ryder and Higgins, that remains to be seen as well. Let's not forget that we have a new head coach and assistant coach.

I'd be quite happy with 33 from Ryder and 28 from Higgins. What would make me even happier would be 30-goal seasons from Samsonov and Kovalev, they certainly have the talent to be doing it annually. Early in his career I expected Samsonov to be a 40-goal scorer.

Here is an optimist's outlook on what the Hab players are CAPABLE of producing this season IMO:

Ryder 33
Kovy 32
Sammy 30
Higgins 28
Saku 21
Johnson 18
Ribs 18
Pleks 17
Perez 17
Begin 11
Bonk 9
Kosty 6
Murray 5
Downey 3
Chipchura 2

250 goals

Markov 12
Souray 13
Rivet 8
Komo 4
Dandy 5
Cube 6
Streit 2

50 goals

300 goals

Would have put them third in league scoring last season - I see four or five teams breaking the 300-goal mark this season as goal scoring continues to climb.

So the Habs are CAPABLE of being a top 5 team in terms of offence IMO, but it's not very likely - that would be a considerable improvement with every returning Hab forward scoring more goals than last season except Begin. I'm sure there will be injuries and I'm sure some players won't reach those numbers, but there is also room for surprises. Souray and/or Markov could score 15+ goals, Perezhogin could score anywhere from 7-27 - he's a real wild card, as are Plekanec and Kostitsyn.

The third line is capable of scoring 60 goals but may end up with 40. Last year they scored 34 goals combined, but Plekanec and Perezhogin were rookies and were bounced around. Perezhogin will get a chance to take some of Bulis' ice time, and he's capable of notching 20 without question. I also expect Plekanec to find the back of the net more as he adapts to the NHL.
I think you're being slightly optimistic on those numbers, especially for the bottom 6. The first 6 should average 25 goals(the way I see it there will be two 30/+ scorers, two 25 scorers and two 20 or less), so we pretty much agree on that.

However, I don't think Johnson will score 18, in Phoenix, he was often used on the top 2 lines and I'm sure that helped his offensive production. Only way he hits those numbers is if he steals Ribs' spot as the 2nd line C(very possible IMO).

I don't think Pleks will get over 15 either. I love him, but I think with the way our offense is balanced, he will be reduced to more of a checking role, which is fine with me.

I also don't think Perez will get over 15. Am I the only one who thinks he doesn't fit at all on the 3rd line? Perez is a wildcard for me, he had a great start to the season then proceeded to suck *** for the rest of the season until the playoffs where he picked it up again. I honestly don't want to put an estimate on his goalscorers, but let's just say, I'm not expecting too much after last year, especially if he plays on the bottom 2 lines on a line that is defensively responsible.

felixd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 08:33 PM
larue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanye West View Post
bug off man, he's just high on Higgins...he has the right to think that favourably about a prospect...other teams, their fans do the same things. don't insinuate he's a moron from rds.ca forums who lost his way. Not to mention that he's been here since March 2004 and you've only been here since January. That's a lack of respect for him. If you were on the pitch and i was the ref I'd give You a red card.

Show some respect for ur fellow hf'ers, it's important man he did nothing to you.
Thanks.

Old
07-29-2006, 08:40 PM
Clumsyhab

Quote:

Ryder 33
Kovy 32
Sammy 30
Higgins 28
Saku 21
Johnson 18
Ribs 18
Pleks 17
Perez 17
Begin 11
Bonk 9
Kosty 6
Murray 5
Downey 3
Chipchura 2

250 goals

Markov 12
Souray 13
Rivet 8
Komo 4
Dandy 5
Cube 6
Streit 2

50 goals

300 goals
Multiply those number by .85 and your stats will be much more realistic. We will end up with 300 * .85 = 255 goals (3.11 goals/game), which isn't bad at all.

Clumsyhab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 08:50 PM
turnbuckle*

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixd View Post
I think you're being slightly optimistic on those numbers, especially for the bottom 6.
I' m aware of that - I DID say "Here is an optimist's outlook on what the Hab players are CAPABLE of producing this season IMO" before presenting the list. The third line is the key, and as I said they can score anywhere from 40-60 goals.

Johnson scored 16 goals last season and he was jerked all over Phoenix's lineup, including lots of third-line duty.

If he, Pleks and Perez gel, they're all capable of 20 goal-seasons. I have the trio marked down for 52 goals - they are certainly capable of it, and might achieve it.

Most people forget that third lines often get more minutes than second lines, especially if they're up against the other team's top lines. I expect Johnson and Plekanec to get more ice time than Ribs and Samsonov on many nights. If Pleks scored on half his shorthanded breakaway chances he'd have popped 15 goals last season. I expect no less than 15 from Pleks in his second NHL season.

Zhogy as I stated is the wildcard. He could score anywhere between 7-27 goals IMO - what is the average of those two figures? 17.

turnbuckle* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-29-2006, 09:32 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Zhogy as I stated is the wildcard. He could score anywhere between 7-27 goals IMO - what is the average of those two figures? 17.
We know he can score 7 goals, but where do you get 27, especially if he plays on a line with Plekanec and Johnson? Please don't average a real number with one you pulled out of the air. What constrains you to say 27? Why not 57?

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-30-2006, 10:06 AM
habsfan44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komi#1 View Post
Who has the more chances to score 30...Samsonov or Higgins???
higgins , samsonov i think is more of a play maker , i wonder can he play center ?

habsfan44 is offline   Reply With Quote