HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Erik Gustafsson (2012-13 season and beyond)

Old
03-01-2013, 12:28 PM
FlyersFan61290

vCash: 500
Good news. Anybody know when Mezs' doctors appointment is? Last I heard it was the end if this week and he was hoping to be cleared for contact.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 05:59 PM
Prongo
Beer

He has been loaned back to the Phantoms now.

https://twitter.com/NHLFlyers/status/311611824871198720

Quote:
ROSTER NEWS: #Flyers loan (D) Erik Gustafsson to the Phantoms and make a minor league trade. MORE + VIDEO HERE… http://flyers.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=64095
Quote:
The Flyers loaned defenseman Erik Gustafsson to their AHL affiliate, the Adirondack Phantoms today following practice, announced club GM Paul Holmgren.

Gustafsson was recalled to the Flyers on Feb. 16 and joined the team in Montreal, where he appeared in his first game of the season. He played in the next 10 games for the Flyers, posting two assists and averaging 18:01 of ice time, but was scratched in the Flyers last contest vs. Buffalo.

Prongo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:02 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
Sniffing out a trade, I think. Still, he should be ahead of Gervais and Foster.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:07 PM
TheKingPin

Unfoutunatly the kind meaning we are adding players and not the ones that we all want. If its for anyone over 30 im going to be pissed.

TheKingPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:07 PM
Stizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Sniffing out a trade, I think. Still, he should be ahead of Gervais and Foster.
I'd have to assume it's Briere for 2 guys + a pick.

Stizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:22 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 597
A couple of comments from Frank @ Daily News:

Quote:
Appears nothing imminent in Gustafsson assignment to ADK. Flyers want to see where they are after Tampa game next Monday.
Quote:
Gustafsson: "I get it sometimes where I think too much. You get down into a bad spiral sometimes and I have 5 or 6 bad shifts in a row instead of just forgetting about (a mistake). There's a lot on the line and you want to play good. A little bit nervous is good, but I need to just go out there and play."
https://twitter.com/DNFlyers

MiamiScreamingEagles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 08:53 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Couturier should have went to ADK with him IMO

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:04 AM
GoneFullHolmgren
def. hockey FAIL

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Couturier should have went to ADK with him IMO
Pretty sure he would have to clear waivers. Gus doesnt have to because of total NHL games played. They shouldnt be sending him down. I would have him ahead of Gervais and Foster as well. But as typical in Flyer land no patience with the mistakes from the young defenseman and goaltenders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingPin View Post
Unfoutunatly the kind meaning we are adding players and not the ones that we all want. If its for anyone over 30 im going to be pissed.
Exactly. They need to be either keeping their high draft picks or getting some. Dealing 1st and 2nd rounders for a player like Bouwmeester would be pretty stupid.

GoneFullHolmgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:13 AM
hckyplayer8
He's Gone!

Something is up. Likely nothing good.

hckyplayer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:35 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosetter27 View Post
I'd prefer Lilja over Foster TBH
When I saw Lilja last he looked god awful. Worst game of any of the guys on the AHL team that night. Lauridsen looked far better, as did Manning. I'd call either of them up first.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:09 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja View Post
When I saw Lilja last he looked god awful. Worst game of any of the guys on the AHL team that night. Lauridsen looked far better, as did Manning. I'd call either of them up first.
I'd love to see him get called up. I have been waiting to see this kid since they drafted him.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:14 AM
Krishna
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
Pretty sure he would have to clear waivers. Gus doesnt have to because of total NHL games played. They shouldnt be sending him down. I would have him ahead of Gervais and Foster as well. But as typical in Flyer land no patience with the mistakes from the young defenseman and goaltenders.

Exactly. They need to be either keeping their high draft picks or getting some. Dealing 1st and 2nd rounders for a player like Bouwmeester would be pretty stupid.
Nah, he doesn't have to clear waivers until he's played 160 games between the AHL and NHL since he's 20. As of right now he's about 140 ish.

If they are prepared to call the season a loss, send him down and let him work on his offense

03-13-2013, 07:48 AM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
Nah, he doesn't have to clear waivers until he's played 160 games between the AHL and NHL since he's 20. As of right now he's about 140 ish.

If they are prepared to call the season a loss, send him down and let him work on his offense
if it's a loss then let him work on it in the NHL. just give him a crap load of minutes and rest g, hartnell and such.

Old
03-13-2013, 08:01 AM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
if it's a loss then let him work on it in the NHL. just give him a crap load of minutes and rest g, hartnell and such.
Agreed. Pair up Gustafsson and Grossmann (the Foreigner Double Consonants!) and give Gus the mandate to be the puck mover.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:24 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

I'm not too concerned with Gus getting sent down. I'd rather see him get good minutes in the AHL to work on whatever it is he needs to work on than get third pair minutes and keep psyching himself out (which he appears to be doing, judging by his comments). Gus hasn't been bad but if he needs to work on something let him do so. The difference between Gus and his replacement is not going to make or break this season (which appears to already be broken anyway).

Old
03-13-2013, 10:02 AM
WeekendAtBernies

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I'm not too concerned with Gus getting sent down. I'd rather see him get good minutes in the AHL to work on whatever it is he needs to work on than get third pair minutes and keep psyching himself out (which he appears to be doing, judging by his comments). Gus hasn't been bad but if he needs to work on something let him do so. The difference between Gus and his replacement is not going to make or break this season (which appears to already be broken anyway).
I'm starting to think the guy coaching the AHL players might be the problem here... all the guys who played 1/2 a year for Murray in ADK were very sluggish to start the year. Gus looks like he's regressed a bit from last year, Sean Couturier has certainly regressed, Brayden Schenn was downright awful to start the year out, Eric Wellwood looked like a shell of himself over his 4 games up here.

I never thought about it before, but when your AHL coach preaches defense above all else, which is exactly the opposite of the run and gun system your NHL coach preaches, there's probably going to be a bit of a disconnect there when players get called up and that can't be very helpful to them. It's gotta be tough to basically have a switch flipped as to how they're supposed to play the game. Going from ADK to Philly is like a complete 180 on the approach to the game.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 10:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
I'm starting to think the guy coaching the AHL players might be the problem here... all the guys who played 1/2 a year for Murray in ADK were very sluggish to start the year. Gus looks like he's regressed a bit from last year, Sean Couturier has certainly regressed, Brayden Schenn was downright awful to start the year out, Eric Wellwood looked like a shell of himself over his 4 games up here.
Terry Murray is a solid coach. I don't know exactly what is going on up in ADK, but I don't think your assessment is accurate. Brayden Schenn was leading the team or close to the top in points in the early going of the season IIRC and I didn't notice any issues, at least nothing significant. Gus looks the same to me. I'm not too sure how you can say Wellwood looked like a shell of himself when he has only played 31 games in his entire career, none of which were all that impressive, especially when he only played limited minutes in four games this year. Wellwood is a fringe NHLer. I doubt he ever looks that much better than he has during his career thus far. His four games this season looked a lot like his 25 or so games he played the year before. Couturier doesn't look that good, but I don't credit that to Murray. Sophomore slump is a better bet.

Quote:
I never thought about it before, but when your AHL coach preaches defense above all else, which is exactly the opposite of the run and gun system your NHL coach preaches, there's probably going to be a bit of a disconnect there when players get called up and that can't be very helpful to them. It's gotta be tough to basically have a switch flipped as to how they're supposed to play the game. Going from ADK to Philly is like a complete 180 on the approach to the game.
I don't think that is the issue. I think the issue is just that Gus is not that good and neither is Wellwood. Bottom pairing defender and a bottom line winger.

Old
03-13-2013, 12:10 PM
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9

Murray can only do so much with the talent that Holmgren has given him

RJ8812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 06:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzle View Post
I'd have to assume it's Briere for 2 guys + a pick.
We could only be so lucky.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:14 PM
FlyersFan61290

Gus has been pretty good recently and is getting crazy ice time, obviously due to some major injuries. with the current state of the defense barring a major change this offseason i think it's pretty clear he's in the top 6 next season. being as though he's an RFA and his ELC was 900k per, what do you guys think he'll be re-signed for?

Old
04-17-2013, 10:15 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Oh man. I thought he got sent back down again.

But I also believe that he will be in the top 6 next season. I'd personally like to see him play next to Coburn or Grossmann, shutdown guys. Would help him out I think.

My guess he makes 1m give or take.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:17 PM
FlyersFan61290

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
no, my bad. i figured we could just use this as the all purpose Gustafsson thread.

Old
04-17-2013, 10:26 PM
BernieParent
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post

But I also believe that he will be in the top 6 next season. I'd personally like to see him play next to Coburn or Grossmann, shutdown guys. Would help him out I think.

My guess he makes 1m give or take.
Yep. It's the knee-jerk syllable-by-syllable reading comprehension I've attained.

"Gustafsson" : Oh, crap, he's injured!

"sent to the Phantoms" : What? How the hell can they send him down when ...

"March 12" : Wait a minute, it's not March! Phew.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 10:53 PM
NHLAlert
@nhl_alert

He's looked great with Timmonen. He's really been playing great as of late and hasn't looked out of place IMO

NHLAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
04-17-2013, 11:05 PM
3Fs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Yep. It's the knee-jerk syllable-by-syllable reading comprehension I've attained.

"Gustafsson" : Oh, crap, he's injured!

"sent to the Phantoms" : What? How the hell can they send him down when ...

"March 12" : Wait a minute, it's not March! Phew.
I didn't catch on till the 13th of March =(

3Fs is offline   Reply With Quote