Closed Thread

Old
03-12-2013, 01:57 PM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 View Post
Really? people are really bashing the Sports Hub for talking NFL Free agency on the day it opens?

What exactly in regards to the Bruins would you like them to talk about today?

It's a business and the NFL is BY FAR the most popular sport. Their sponsors would be rightfully pissed off if they decided to pass up talking NFL Free Agency (in theory the 1st/2nd most important day of the NFL offseason) to go over a goofy shootout move or Chris Kelly's injury.

Unfortunately for Bruins fans and sports radio, a team that is humming along like they are doesn't make for interesting radio.
It's shocking you even dare to suggest this MT...

Old
03-12-2013, 02:15 PM
mmonty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TP View Post
I'll try that. Thanks
If that doesn't work try the Tunein Radio app. That's what I use on my IPhone to listen to 98.5.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:01 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
Really? people are really bashing the Sports Hub for talking NFL Free agency on the day it opens?

What exactly in regards to the Bruins would you like them to talk about today?

It's a business and the NFL is BY FAR the most popular sport. Their sponsors would be rightfully pissed off if they decided to pass up talking NFL Free Agency (in theory the 1st/2nd most important day of the NFL offseason) to go over a goofy shootout move or Chris Kelly's injury.

Unfortunately for Bruins fans and sports radio, a team that is humming along like they are doesn't make for interesting radio.
Nope. Don't buy it at all, not for second, not if you paid me.
Forget the draft being today, what about last week, the week before that, etc...

a few seasons ago (2011/2012), with the patriots CRUSHING. Their last relevant game was vs the Jets in October (their words not mine, week 10). Did they stop football? Nope. They didn't talk hockey for any significant amount of time till december when Tyler Seguin slept in late in WPG. Remember the "drinking/partying" theory?

People can say that its because of the success, then wtf is the excuse for the Patriots talk 24/7 during 4 straight 1st place division title seasons. Yes, I get it, Football is the most popular. But you can't tell me that its getting its fair share.

Hell, with Hockey the only sport that had a current season going on (cept for basketball) they were STILL talking football/redsox and pitchers didn't even report yet.

I'm not knocking you taylor, and I understand why one sport would get more attention than others. The biggest reason the bruins don't get much airplay is because of Felger's shtick.

He was horrible humbled when the bruins won. Every rant he had that season (and seasons prior) got torched when the bruins won the cup. He's got nothing left. And IMO his shtick doesn't work without a rant. It's why i don't like him, he's one dimensional, he can't carry on a point unless he's *****ing about something.

I like his hab hating rants, but its embarrassing when he tries getting into a war of words w/ any hockey guy from up north.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:10 PM
MTaylorJ1

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamFan81 View Post
Nope. Don't buy it at all, not for second, not if you paid me.
Forget the draft being today, what about last week, the week before that, etc...

a few seasons ago (2011/2012), with the patriots CRUSHING. Their last relevant game was vs the Jets in October (their words not mine, week 10). Did they stop football? Nope. They didn't talk hockey for any significant amount of time till december when Tyler Seguin slept in late in WPG. Remember the "drinking/partying" theory?

People can say that its because of the success, then wtf is the excuse for the Patriots talk 24/7 during 4 straight 1st place division title seasons. Yes, I get it, Football is the most popular. But you can't tell me that its getting its fair share.

Hell, with Hockey the only sport that had a current season going on (cept for basketball) they were STILL talking football/redsox and pitchers didn't even report yet.

I'm not knocking you taylor, and I understand why one sport would get more attention than others. The biggest reason the bruins don't get much airplay is because of Felger's shtick.

He was horrible humbled when the bruins won. Every rant he had that season (and seasons prior) got torched when the bruins won the cup. He's got nothing left. And IMO his shtick doesn't work without a rant. It's why i don't like him, he's one dimensional, he can't carry on a point unless he's *****ing about something.

I like his hab hating rants, but its embarrassing when he tries getting into a war of words w/ any hockey guy from up north.
It's the first station I tune to in the afternoons, they talk hockey plenty, I think people are hearing what they want to hear (and in this case it sounds like you want to imagine the Bruins are persecuted by local sports radio). They have Neely on, Felger talks about the Habs, Sabres, and Penguins games constantly when those are close by. He has a segment with Milbury. I'm sorry, but Felger talks hockey. You may not like what he has to say, and you might laser focus in on how wrong he is, but more than any other host in this market, he's driven the hockey agenda. But he can't turn his back on ratings and sponsors and talk minutia of Claude's system, 3rd liners around the league who might fit, prospects. That might be good for diehard Bruins fans, but it's poison for ratings.

Trust me, they talk Patriots football in exact proportion with how popular it is. And make no mistake, it is MUCH more popular than the other 3 sports. In fact, it's made for talk radio. No sport does a better job at making itself relevant than football. None.

In almost every part of the country, the most popular sports are Football and Offseason Football.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:18 PM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

I find it quite perplexing that people would criticize a sports radio station for talking about sports, but then claim to like Toucher and Rich, who rarely talk sports, despite being hosts on a sports radio station.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:23 PM
CamFan81
Derp

Quote:
It's the first station I tune to in the afternoons, they talk hockey plenty, I think people are hearing what they want to hear (and in this case it sounds like you want to imagine the Bruins are persecuted by local sports radio). They have Neely on, Felger talks about the Habs, Sabres, and Penguins games constantly when those are close by. He has a segment with Milbury. I'm sorry, but Felger talks hockey. You may not like what he has to say, and you might laser focus in on how wrong he is, but more than any other host in this market, he's driven the hockey agenda. But he can't turn his back on ratings and sponsors and talk minutia of Claude's system, 3rd liners around the league who might fit, prospects. That might be good for diehard Bruins fans, but it's poison for ratings.

Trust me, they talk Patriots football in exact proportion with how popular it is. And make no mistake, it is MUCH more popular than the other 3 sports. In fact, it's made for talk radio. No sport does a better job at making itself relevant than football. None.

In almost every part of the country, the most popular sports are Football and Offseason Football.
Sorry. Nope.
I know why I stopped listening to them (unless i hear of an interview) in 2011 and it wasn't because of what he had to say more of saying barely anything at all.

And its funny you mention the Neely interviews...

Football/Sox
Neely Interview
2 minutes recapping neely interview.
commercials
Football/Sox.

Now perhaps its all coincidental and the exact moment I stopped listening to F/M they started with some fantastic hockey radio.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:23 PM
C77

Neely is on now.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:27 PM
C77

Haha Neely just said the loser point is important to a lot of teams to keep them in the playoff hunt.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:32 PM
CamFan81
Derp

whoa I'm 3 minutes late?

They're talking about ravens now.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
EvilElf63

Quote:
Now perhaps its all coincidental and the exact moment I stopped listening to F/M they started with some fantastic hockey radio.
Tune in at 2:00, take a shower at 4:15, come back at 4:35 and they're back on football.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:37 PM
C77

Yea it was a short interview.

Neely said they won't know about Kelly until he has the MRI.

Felger asked if Krejci should shoot more....Neely said he likes to see players shoot more often but Krejci is a playmaker and that's his style.

Old
03-12-2013, 03:52 PM
GarbageGoal
Follow the Buzzards

I blame winning The NEP three Super Bowls. I know I could have lived without them.

Let's all thank God Boston College blows at football and basketball, ergo, no one cares and no one calls about it unlike other parts of the country. That's the New England way.

Quote:
No need to be sorry. IMO you are not inaccurate in your assessment of 98.5. We aren't to far away from 98.5 ridiculing callers for calling in about hockey like Weei did. Hell, you'll get ridiculed now if you bring up a prospect.
When people were calling F&M before the Vancouver game last year saying "This kid Jordan Knight needs to be called up from Prooooovidence, he sounds tough", they weren't ridiculed enough.

Old
03-12-2013, 04:54 PM
TP
Mod Supervisor
HFBoards

Felger cut Neely off to get back to rumors... not even Pats rumors.

If I'm Cam, I tell him to **** off next week.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:03 PM
MAINE-IAC

Quote:

Exactly. At least they don't cram the blow sox down your pie hole 24/7.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:12 PM
81ragnaH

CSN Sports Tonight later is billed as "Felger vs Ordway". Kinda looking forward to it. Nice post-hockey viewing, even if they likely won't mention the Bruins once.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:16 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post
CSN Sports Tonight later is billed as "Felger vs Ordway". Kinda looking forward to it. Nice post-hockey viewing, even if they likely won't mention the Bruins once.
Its funny how they are billing it as Sports Radio Legend against The King of all Boston Media like its Wrestlemania.

Old
03-12-2013, 05:46 PM
CHRDANHUTCH

Send a message via AIM to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via MSN to CHRDANHUTCH Send a message via Yahoo to CHRDANHUTCH
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
Its funny how they are billing it as Sports Radio Legend against The King of all Boston Media like its Wrestlemania.
the only correlation is both Felgay and Ordway were fired from their previous positions, anyone remember ESPN 890 Lowell, and CSN May be honoring Glenn's contract because he's part of the football block (NE Tailgate)

Old
03-12-2013, 09:22 PM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
Big O and Felger together is pretty good right now. Ordway took a jab at D and C for being old and gave Toucher and Rich props

Old
03-12-2013, 09:55 PM
GordonHowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81ragnaH View Post

Nothing 'gainst you all, but: Garbage.

If I never hear that fat eff again, for any reason, in any venue, it will be too soon.

I hope his backside gets kicked down to a major market like Atlanta. Or Talahasie.

Oink Oink, Fat Boy,

Old
03-13-2013, 12:37 AM
Bone for your jar

F&M appear to be calcifying into Big Show-esque putrefaction. They no longer attempt to disguise their contempt for their listeners; in fact that contempt (the constant recourse to the townie accent, the hanging up on callers and "pushing away from the table", etc) is now part of their act. They treat the Neely segment with the same enthusiasm accorded to reading ad copy for window restorations --i.e., as a scheduled but unwelcome interruption from endless Welker talk. They find themselves and each other to be the most fascinating and amusing personalities on Earth, and we're supposed to just listen and revel in their comic genius.

I am far from a Felger-hater, by the way. There's lots I like about him, and even Mazz. But they should both realize that many of us can only find their douchery endearing if it's leavened with some humility and a semblance of regard for their audience. Without that, it becomes nauseating and stale.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:22 AM
Roll 4 Lines
Gitchyasum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bone for your jar View Post
F&M appear to be calcifying into Big Show-esque putrefaction. They no longer attempt to disguise their contempt for their listeners; in fact that contempt (the constant recourse to the townie accent, the hanging up on callers and "pushing away from the table", etc) is now part of their act. They treat the Neely segment with the same enthusiasm accorded to reading ad copy for window restorations --i.e., as a scheduled but unwelcome interruption from endless Welker talk. They find themselves and each other to be the most fascinating and amusing personalities on Earth, and we're supposed to just listen and revel in their comic genius.

I am far from a Felger-hater, by the way. There's lots I like about him, and even Mazz. But they should both realize that many of us can only find their douchery endearing if it's leavened with some humility and a semblance of regard for their audience. Without that, it becomes nauseating and stale.
Yes, last evening they had some bad callers, but instead of moving on the the next caller, they go on talking about how bad the callers are....I changed the station.

Old
03-13-2013, 09:54 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:

There is a lot of truth in this post.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:09 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:

In all fairness, that accent is ridiculous, and is like nails on a chalkboard to me. I've lived in this area my whole life and at no point have I ever sounded like some of the marble mouthed clowns that call into that show. If you also notice, they only break into the townie bit when the caller makes an incredibly stupid or obvious remark.

I mean really, how many times can you hear a mouth breathing thug bring up a point about the Pats and how "they'aah gonna screw ovaaah Welkaaaah" before it drives you a little nuts?

If you don't want people to make fun of it, learn how to speak English correctly, FFS. Otherwise, just take it with a grain of salt...

Old
03-13-2013, 10:12 AM
11MilesPerJohan
@BeingAHumanBean

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
If you don't want people to make fun of it, learn how to speak English correctly, FFS. Otherwise, just take it with a grain of salt...
I believe what you meant to say is, "learn how to speak English good." That is all.

Old
03-13-2013, 10:27 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg4167 View Post
I believe what you meant to say is, "learn how to speak English good." That is all.
Sure, or at least gooder than they currently do...

Closed Thread