HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Danny Briere: activated Apr. 11 (concussion Mar. 25); Q and A article Apr. 11

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
03-12-2013, 02:23 PM
  #476
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,307
vCash: 156
"Flyers D bad lol" is a typical mainboard generalization made by people who don't actually know better...just like the "flyers G bad lol" people were floating around to explain the Flyers early struggles.

__________________
Down in the basement, I've got a Craftsman lathe. Show it to the children when they misbehave.
Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:25 PM
  #477
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline
 
CS's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Lumberton, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 13,997
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
"Flyers D bad lol" is a typical mainboard generalization made by people who don't actually know better...just like the "flyers G bad lol" people were floating around to explain the Flyers early struggles.
In general, people on the mainboards know nothing about the Flyers and assume all of our players are terrible...


But they still want them all...

Except for our goaltenders any given year...


Which explains a lot more than it should.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 02:26 PM
  #478
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
There's a reason why the Flyers' defense is a laughingstock among many casual observers around these boards. Is it unfair to single out Coburn? Perhaps.

There's also a reason why the Flyers have failed miserably this year in so many ways. Is it unfair to single out Coburn here? I don't think so. The Flyers currently lack a puck moving defenseman and a PPQB. Do you realize the Flyers only put one defenseman consistently on our collective powerplays? If the Flyers had someone to play those roles I guarantee we'd be a better team. Coburn is unable to do either, and he's not physical nor smart enough defensively to make up for it.

Coburn has failed time and time again to make strides towards being a more complete player. He's regressing; NOT reaching his "prime". He had a "good" year last year? By "good" do you mean inconsistent and mediocre?

And as far as the last statement re: cap... good luck with that one.
so move coburn because he's struggled this year along with the rest of the team and isn't an offensive defense, good one. i also like how being bad for 27 games in shortened season, again with the rest of the team, is regressing. and the bold leads me to believe you are clueless. and then you go on to say that the cap won't be going back up in a few years. wow

btw the flyers defense is not bad.

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:39 PM
  #479
BrimFullofAsham45
Registered User
 
BrimFullofAsham45's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 1,458
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
so move coburn because he's struggled this year along with the rest of the team and isn't an offensive defense, good one. i also like how being bad for 27 games in shortened season, again with the rest of the team, is regressing. and the bold leads me to believe you are clueless. and then you go on to say that the cap won't be going back up in a few years. wow

btw the flyers defense is not bad.
Thinking that the cap is going to increase rampantly like it did in a prior CBA, seems a little presumptuous. It's beyond the point for this argument though. Bottom line, the cap is going to decrease and there's little information that makes me believe that its going to increase to what it is now any time soon.

Bottom line is, we need to make some cuts. Not only are our forwards going to demand some signicant raises, we are going to need to upgrade our defense and replace our goaltending if Bryz is bought out. They will all come arcs premium.

Keep pretending Coburn is a first pairing defender. From where I'm standing, I see a middling player with cheaper players, ie. Grossmann, Schenn passing him on the depth chart. The Flyers defense isn't bad, but its mediocre. You can blame that on Lavis lackluster defensive strategies, but is Coburn capable of being a PMD or a PPQB? Clearly not, therefore is a candidate to get shipped out.

BrimFullofAsham45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 03:51 PM
  #480
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,307
vCash: 156
I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure the cap is designed to rise slower than it did before.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-12-2013, 06:06 PM
  #481
FlyersFan61290
Registered User
 
FlyersFan61290's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 8,459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrimFullofAsham45 View Post
Thinking that the cap is going to increase rampantly like it did in a prior CBA, seems a little presumptuous. It's beyond the point for this argument though. Bottom line, the cap is going to decrease and there's little information that makes me believe that its going to increase to what it is now any time soon.

Bottom line is, we need to make some cuts. Not only are our forwards going to demand some signicant raises, we are going to need to upgrade our defense and replace our goaltending if Bryz is bought out. They will all come arcs premium.

Keep pretending Coburn is a first pairing defender. From where I'm standing, I see a middling player with cheaper players, ie. Grossmann, Schenn passing him on the depth chart. The Flyers defense isn't bad, but its mediocre. You can blame that on Lavis lackluster defensive strategies, but is Coburn capable of being a PMD or a PPQB? Clearly not, therefore is a candidate to get shipped out.
I said specifically in my post that it won't raise as fast as with the previous CBA but that it will increase in a few years. There is nothing to question in that.

Getting rid of Briere leaves more then enough cap room to re-sign our players and if it doesn't you get rid of Bryz not Coburn. Grossmann and Schenn have been better then Coburn for all of 27 games, prior to that coburn was the better player. forgive me if I'm not ready to give up on a 28 yr old who has played well in the past cause of this season alone.

And I guess we differ on what to expect from a 4.5 mil d-man. You're not getting a pmd or ppqb who is good in his own zone for close to 4.5 mil so why hold Coburn to that standard?

FlyersFan61290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 01:58 AM
  #482
WeekendAtBernies
Registered User
 
WeekendAtBernies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 2,716
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I don't remember the specifics, but I'm pretty sure the cap is designed to rise slower than it did before.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyersFan61290 View Post
I said specifically in my post that it won't raise as fast as with the previous CBA but that it will increase in a few years. There is nothing to question in that.
Just running some quick numbers, if hockey-related-revenue continues to grow at a conservative 5%, the cap could see a pretty big bump for 2014-2015

HRR for 2011-2012 was roughly 3.3B. That means HRR for 2012-2013 should be ~3.465B (it won't be this large because of the shortened season, but still that should be the projection). And then for the full 2013-2014 season, HRR should be ~3.638B

Assuming player benefits grow by the same 5% per year from roughly 90M in 2011-2012, benefits in 2014-2015 will be ~99.225M

That means the midpoint is:
(50%*3.638B) minus 99.225M
---------------------------------- = 57.33M
30 NHL teams

Then you have to adjust the midpoint upwards by the 5% escalator: 57.33M*1.05 = ~60.20M

Then to get the cap ceiling you have to increase this by 15%: 60.20M*1.15 = ~69.22M

That would be roughly a $5M increase from 13-14 to 14-15, which is right in line with some of the bigger salary cap increases under the old CBA. After that one year jump though, salary cap growth would slow down a bit, w/ a projected 15-16 cap of only 72.7M, a 3.5M increase over 14-15.

WeekendAtBernies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:25 AM
  #483
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,307
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeekendAtBernies View Post
Just running some quick numbers, if hockey-related-revenue continues to grow at a conservative 5%, the cap could see a pretty big bump for 2014-2015

HRR for 2011-2012 was roughly 3.3B. That means HRR for 2012-2013 should be ~3.465B (it won't be this large because of the shortened season, but still that should be the projection). And then for the full 2013-2014 season, HRR should be ~3.638B

Assuming player benefits grow by the same 5% per year from roughly 90M in 2011-2012, benefits in 2014-2015 will be ~99.225M

That means the midpoint is:
(50%*3.638B) minus 99.225M
---------------------------------- = 57.33M
30 NHL teams

Then you have to adjust the midpoint upwards by the 5% escalator: 57.33M*1.05 = ~60.20M

Then to get the cap ceiling you have to increase this by 15%: 60.20M*1.15 = ~69.22M

That would be roughly a $5M increase from 13-14 to 14-15, which is right in line with some of the bigger salary cap increases under the old CBA. After that one year jump though, salary cap growth would slow down a bit, w/ a projected 15-16 cap of only 72.7M, a 3.5M increase over 14-15.
I sure hope the cap floor is lower than before, and qualifying for revenue sharing is easier...otherwise the lockout was a waste of time.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:51 AM
  #484
CanadianFlyer88
Moderator
Knublin' PPs
 
CanadianFlyer88's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Van City
Posts: 14,011
vCash: 955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I sure hope the cap floor is lower than before, and qualifying for revenue sharing is easier...otherwise the lockout was a waste of time.
Pretty obvious already that the lockout was a waste of time.

__________________
I deride your truth handling abilities
CanadianFlyer88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 11:57 AM
  #485
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianFlyer88 View Post
Pretty obvious already that the lockout was a waste of time.
Bite your tongue! After all that soul searching and mutually respectful sharing of perspectives, the owners and players came to a tough but fair sharing of revenues that will allow all sides to prosper and reintroduce logical caps on contracts / demands.

Oh, wait ...



At least there are no more re-entry waivers. The game is SAVED!!!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:08 PM
  #486
RJ8812
Gunner Stahl #9
 
RJ8812's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Sudbury
Country: Canada
Posts: 24,646
vCash: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
I sure hope the cap floor is lower than before, and qualifying for revenue sharing is easier...otherwise the lockout was a waste of time.
Getzlaf's new contract is proof that it was a waste of time

RJ8812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:22 PM
  #487
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,307
vCash: 156
I haven't looked at that crap in a while..but unless there's meaningful revenue sharing to float the suffering franchises, nothing has changed except contract length.

So, enjoy the next lockout guys.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:23 PM
  #488
Giroux tha Damaja
Registered User
 
Giroux tha Damaja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Mount Holly, NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 9,232
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Getzlaf's new contract is proof that it was a waste of time
How did that happen!? I have to wonder what every other GM in the league was saying when the numbers for that deal came out.

Holy ****. When I saw those numbers I was blown away. There must be something with Anaheim where guys don't wanna stay there or something, I don't get it. You hear about the troubles getting Ryan signed, and then this is what it took to get Getzlaf to stay. You would think it's an awesome place to play. Maybe I'mr eading too much into it.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:27 PM
  #489
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren
 
GoneFullHextall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Somewhere in NH
Country: United States
Posts: 30,944
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by RJ8812 View Post
Getzlaf's new contract is proof that it was a waste of time
the cap goes down next season. After that how long does it take to get back to 70m

the whole situation does suck and will be proven to be a waste of time.
but status quo. salaries will continue to rise as will ticket prices and folks will still go to the games.
the NHL and NHLPA is still holding that suckers sign at the NHL fanbase.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:30 PM
  #490
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,307
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
the cap goes down next season. After that how long does it take to get back to 70m

the whole situation does suck and will be proven to be a waste of time.
but status quo. salaries will continue to rise as will ticket prices and folks will still go to the games.
the NHL and NHLPA is still holding that suckers sign at the NHL fanbase.
The struggling franchises will still struggle. The owners will lock out the players to cut back their salary even more for a temporary 1-2 year fix. The idiotic process continues.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:33 PM
  #491
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
stands for Lockout.

Sadly, were we so nave that we expected significant change? The Getzlaf contract was a fine example of what arguably was to be avoided.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 12:43 PM
  #492
hockeyfreak7
Registered User
 
hockeyfreak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Charlottesville
Posts: 8,183
vCash: 500
The Getzlaf contract is a perfect example of what the lock out wanted to happen...


Before, he would have gotten a 12 year deal with a $6m cap hit simply by adding four dummy year to the extension he just signed.

The NHL is perfectly happy with his extension. Contract length was not the issue-- it was artificial contract length in an attempt to bring the cap hit down that the NHL took issue with, and that problem has been solved.

hockeyfreak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:30 PM
  #493
Curufinwe
Registered User
 
Curufinwe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Country: New Zealand
Posts: 7,440
vCash: 500
The lock out was worth it to keep the contracts down to 7 or 8 years. Plus we didn't have to watch this awful team stink it up for a whole 82 games.

Curufinwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:35 PM
  #494
Jack de la Hoya
Registered User
 
Jack de la Hoya's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Texas
Country: United States
Posts: 13,152
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfreak7 View Post
The Getzlaf contract is a perfect example of what the lock out wanted to happen...


Before, he would have gotten a 12 year deal with a $6m cap hit simply by adding four dummy year to the extension he just signed.

The NHL is perfectly happy with his extension. Contract length was not the issue-- it was artificial contract length in an attempt to bring the cap hit down that the NHL took issue with, and that problem has been solved.
Yup. This was exactly what I was thinking, but I assumed that I was just missing something obvious. So, well, if people tell you that you're completely off base, know at least that you're not alone!

Jack de la Hoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 08:40 PM
  #495
1865
Registered User
 
1865's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Chester, UK
Country: England
Posts: 9,175
vCash: 50
If we're lucky he'll get suspended for that hit. Not holding my breath though.

1865 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:14 PM
  #496
BernieParent
Registered User
 
BernieParent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Montreal, QC
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,075
vCash: 500
Does anyone think that Briere is stinking on purpose to avoid being traded? I don't either because I can't think of too many professional athletes, especially hockey players, intentionally playing under their ability.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:17 PM
  #497
Crescent Street
Saturday Nite Hockey
 
Crescent Street's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Long Island
Posts: 2,466
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Does anyone think that Briere is stinking on purpose to avoid being traded? I don't either because I can't think of too many professional athletes, especially hockey players, intentionally playing under their ability.
Probably something personal going on. Or maybe an undisclosed injury is magically announced tomorrow since this season is now finished.

Crescent Street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:19 PM
  #498
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beefitor
 
Beef Invictus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Centreville
Country: Lord Howe Island
Posts: 37,307
vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Does anyone think that Briere is stinking on purpose to avoid being traded? I don't either because I can't think of too many professional athletes, especially hockey players, intentionally playing under their ability.
If the team is trying to force Briere to waive his Clause and uproot his family against his will, I wouldn't be shocked if he's tanking on purpose in response. You're right about the pro athelete thing, as they generally have a strong urge to win.

I guess we'll know for sure if the trade deadline passage and he's still a non-factor.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:22 PM
  #499
SuchySays
Registered User
 
SuchySays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Poconos
Country: United States
Posts: 2,201
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Does anyone think that Briere is stinking on purpose to avoid being traded? I don't either because I can't think of too many professional athletes, especially hockey players, intentionally playing under their ability.
it sure looks like it..

SuchySays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-13-2013, 09:25 PM
  #500
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,895
vCash: 5792
Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Does anyone think that Briere is stinking on purpose to avoid being traded? I don't either because I can't think of too many professional athletes, especially hockey players, intentionally playing under their ability.
Briere has a no-move clause. He is only traded if he wants to be.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:25 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.